Cobra King Tour MIM Irons

chisag

These are at the top of my List for my next set of irons... love my cmbs (and they are new to me as of last year) but I’m already eyeing replacements as the faces show wear. 

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

• 1 month later...

@chisag how are you getting along with these a few months in? Have the recent press releases coming from Titleist given you a wandering eye or are you sticking with the MIMs? If you could make any changes with the Cobra design team for their "King Tour 2.0", is there anything that comes to mind (outside of maybe a cleaner cavity which as you noted is purely aesthetic and not fully necessary)?

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* w/ Graphite Design AD IX 7X

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi2* 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x  

Utility: :ping-small: i500 3i (19*) w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: :cobra-small: Forged Tec Black 4i, King Forged CB 5-GW w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

4 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

@chisag how are you getting along with these a few months in? Have the recent press releases coming from Titleist given you a wandering eye or are you sticking with the MIMs? If you could make any changes with the Cobra design team for their "King Tour 2.0", is there anything that comes to mind (outside of maybe a cleaner cavity which as you noted is purely aesthetic and not fully necessary)?

... After reviewing and changing irons every year (sometimes more than once a year) I have always wanted to stick to one set of irons for 2-3 years or more. I am hoping the King Tours will be those irons. Seems adding the Steelfiber 95s really have mine dialed in. In answer to your question there is nothing I would change, other than the cavity cosmetics as you stated. They are just about a perfect combination of size, look at address, feel and forgiveness. I love a mid sized head because on my really good days they aren't big enough to be a distraction and on my off days they are just big enough to give me confidence. 

• Like 3

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                  :taylormade-small: MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour/TP5x (2021)

Love it - just what I was hoping (and expecting) to hear. I am planning to buy a set and keep for 3 years (and love to overanalyze all my big ticket purchases anyway), so will wait to hit all the new releases in the next couple of months, but leaning strongly towards these. They really do seem like a goldilocks product with no need to create a combo set.

• Like 1

Irons: :cobra-small: Forged Tec Black 4i, King Forged CB 5-GW w/ KBS $ Taper 130

11 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

Love it - just what I was hoping (and expecting) to hear. I am planning to buy a set and keep for 3 years (and love to overanalyze all my big ticket purchases anyway), so will wait to hit all the new releases in the next couple of months, but leaning strongly towards these. They really do seem like a goldilocks product with no need to create a combo set.

... Funny you should mention a combo set. I played several round with my Srixon Z Forged pw-8 and my King Tour 7-4 irons. I saw no difference in performance and went back to a full King set. 

• Like 1

Great review, the Cobra forgings are definitely intriguing - before your write-up and now even more after it.  I am curious to know more about the feel you discussed.  Especially since you specifically compared the feel to the MP33's.  Have you compared that feel to any of Mizuno's current offerings (such as the MP20, or the HMB which I am currently swinging).  That buttery feel is what I think my HMB's are lacking compared to my MP33's or even my previous to HMB gamers the MP68's.  I do love the Mizuno forging feel...my sense from your review is they aren't quite as soft feeling, but still give a pure feel.  But interested to hear your thoughts having played the MIM's for some amount of time now.

• Srixon Z7 Driver
  • Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist 2021 T200 5-GW
  • Nike V-Forged 52-10 & 56-14
  • Odyssey White Hot OG 7s Putter
  • Maxfli Tour

28 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Great review, the Cobra forgings are definitely intriguing - before your write-up and now even more after it.  I am curious to know more about the feel you discussed.  Especially since you specifically compared the feel to the MP33's.  Have you compared that feel to any of Mizuno's current offerings (such as the MP20, or the HMB which I am currently swinging).  That buttery feel is what I think my HMB's are lacking compared to my MP33's or even my previous to HMB gamers the MP68's.  I do love the Mizuno forging feel...my sense from your review is they aren't quite as soft feeling, but still give a pure feel.  But interested to hear your thoughts having played the MIM's for some amount of time now.

... Since "feel" is subjective I think it is difficult to make any kind of definitive statement concerning the MIM irons and comparisons to current Mizuno offerings. While there is little doubt the Cobra's are soft feeling, any claims they are softer than say MP20/JPX 921 Tour irons will be personal opinions. I was informed by Tom Olsavsky that technical softness measurements concluded MIM were the softest irons measured o there is that. I will add this, if you are comparing MIM irons to MP33's I believe you would have to demo them side by side using tour urethane balls to determine which you feel is softer. Hitting them on separate days should produce a "They both feel really soft, really dense" kinda response. I also think personal preference with brand loyalty can contribute to conclusions. Since they are very similar if you are a big Mizuno fan there is a good chance you might find the Mizuno's just a hair softer, and the same would be true for Cobra fans. Agnostic brand players would probably find the MIM irons softer but still a close call. As stated elsewhere in this thread missing the center, especially toe strikes tend to feel harsher with the MIM irons but slight mishits feel really good and center contact is pure nirvana. 

... Then of course we are also comparing the MP33, a solid carbon steel iron head to a multi material iron head so all of the Mizuno irons excluding the MP20/JPX Tours would be more comparable. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Since "feel" is subjective I think it is difficult to make any kind of definitive statement concerning the MIM irons and comparisons to current Mizuno offerings. While there is little doubt the Cobra's are soft feeling, any claims they are softer than say MP20/JPX 921 Tour irons will be personal opinions. I was informed by Tom Olsavsky that technical softness measurements concluded MIM were the softest irons measured o there is that. I will add this, if you are comparing MIM irons to MP33's I believe you would have to demo them side by side using tour urethane balls to determine which you feel is softer. Hitting them on separate days should produce a "They both feel really soft, really dense" kinda response. I also think personal preference with brand loyalty can contribute to conclusions. Since they are very similar if you are a big Mizuno fan there is a good chance you might find the Mizuno's just a hair softer, and the same would be true for Cobra fans. Agnostic brand players would probably find the MIM irons softer but still a close call. As stated elsewhere in this thread missing the center, especially toe strikes tend to feel harsher with the MIM irons but slight mishits feel really good and center contact is pure nirvana. 

... Then of course we are also comparing the MP33, a solid carbon steel iron head to a multi material iron head so all of the Mizuno irons excluding the MP20/JPX Tours would be more comparable. 

Fair comments all.. I should have prefaced my question with "in your subjective opinion"... understanding and agreeing to everything you said.... in the context of your personal experience.  Also love the comment about "Mizuno guys" will prefer the Mizuno's and "Cobra guys" would prefer the Cobra... that is so true!  I guess the best takeaway is you feel these are a quality soft feeling iron and you have great experience with a variety of top end players irons.  That is the part I appreciate more than anything.  Cobra Tour MIM's hold their own.  Good stuff.  Thanks Chisag! ~Tim.

• Like 1
  • Srixon Z7 Driver
  • Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Tiftaaft said:

Fair comments all.. I should have prefaced my question with "in your subjective opinion"... understanding and agreeing to everything you said.... in the context of your personal experience.  Also love the comment about "Mizuno guys" will prefer the Mizuno's and "Cobra guys" would prefer the Cobra... that is so true!  I guess the best takeaway is you feel these are a quality soft feeling iron and you have great experience with a variety of top end players irons.  That is the part I appreciate more than anything.  Cobra Tour MIM's hold their own.  Good stuff.  Thanks Chisag! ~Tim.

I hit the JPX919 Tour and JPX919 Forged side by side with Cobra MIM using the same shaft (Nippon Modus 120) off real grass outside and, like @chisagsaid it's subjective, the Cobra MIMs felt heavy/solid in a way that the JPX919Tour did not. I am not as consistent a ballstriker as chisag but I hit it out of the middle a good bit of the time and the feeling with the Cobras was just a solid thud that felt like it had more mass right behind the ball. The JPX919 tour felt really good on a few shots but not nearly as consistently good as the MIMs and I was literally hitting like 3 balls and switching between the irons and did this for 5 or 6 cycles. The JPX919 Forged was fine but nothing to write home about in the "feel" arena. I, admittedly, have only hit forged clubs a handful of times and the Cobras really shocked me. Like where has this feeling been all my life. It is the standard I am testing a bunch of other clubs against and it is shooting them down like the Red Baron. Plus, it feels forgiving in a way the JPX919 Tour did not. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, vandyland said:

I hit the JPX919 Tour and JPX919 Forged side by side with Cobra MIM

Thanks Vandy, I appreciate the comments on your experience.  Sounds like Cobra may have a bit of sleeper with these MIM's.  I will be giving them a fair shot the next time I have a chance to swing them. Tim.

• Like 1
  • Srixon Z7 Driver
  • Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Maxfli Tour

• 3 months later...

I hit these again at my local golf mart the other day along with the ZX7 and they were neck and neck (I went in to try out the i59 but they didn't even have a fitting head in yet 😐); I actually thought both felt equally great in their own way on well-struck shots which is saying something compared to an Endo forging in the ZX7; though the Srixons felt better outside of the sweet spot. The only thing I noticed performance-wise was that the MIMs were launching about a degree higher and spinning 300-400 higher than the ZX7 with the same $ Taper 120g shaft (they were both spinning higher than I would look for but this was with pinnacle practice balls so I wasn't reading too much into the numbers other than the differences between the two). I have also seen on other forums that the ZX7 may spin a bit less than competitor irons, so that could be saying something about the Srixons more than the MIM. In any case it held its own with the more-heralded ZX7 and continues to be an under-appreciated offering in my view.   

I had to push off an intended iron set purchase, but still hoping to buy a set in the next few months and these remain in the running.

• Like 1