Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ball Number Color

fixyurdivot

Ball Number Color  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What color do you prefer the number on the ball to be?

• Black
    • Red
    • Other

What color ball numbers do you like?  I was playing a Titleist DT Trusoft today and noted it has the red number.  I personally like the black but it got me to thinking about why other colors aren't used (or least very often) and whether the red vs. black signify something in ball category; Titleist or other mfg.'s.?  I also like the use of higher numbers and even double digit - you? 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Way back in time, the different colors were used to indicate different compression versions of the same ball. I believe red was softer and black was firmer. The original Titleist DT ("Durable Titleist", to differentiate from the easily cut balata balls) was one of those. I believe red was supposed to be 90 and black 100, but MGS wasn't around to verify the accuracy of those numbers.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Even now, the color of the number signifies different balls for some manufacturers.  I know the Snell MTB-Black has a black number, the MTB-X has a red one.  I know the ProV1 and ProV1x have black and red numbers, but I'm not sure which is which without looking.  I don't really care.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Way back in time, the different colors were used to indicate different compression versions of the same ball. I believe red was softer and black was firmer. The original Titleist DT ("Durable Titleist", to differentiate from the easily cut balata balls) was one of those. I believe red was supposed to be 90 and black 100, but MGS wasn't around to verify the accuracy of those numbers.
That's right. When it was the wound balls the red number was 90 and all black was 100. Interesting now that the all black Pro V1 is the softer ball. Dunlop and Maxfli did the same thing with dots. I believe they each had 5 or 6 colors at one point to differentiate compression or other specs.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star