Cobra one length Utility - Forged Tec vs Black

Our Sponsors

I'm looking for an easy to use low flying driving iron and thought the one length version of the Cobra utility would be ideal for my intended use.

I want an easy to control low flying option off the tee or out of the rough to get under the wind or trees or for when I have no hazards to worry about and want to hit an easy to control, rolling shot. I have all my distance gaps already in my set but have an extra space and I thought this would be the most likely to save me a stroke or two.

Originally I was looking at the one length hybrid options but that didn't give me much variety compared to what's in my existing bag which is why i have switched my sights to the lower flying utility iron. I like that I can tweak the loft depending on conditions (extra carry vs extra roll for wet or dry, or windy conditions).

Does anyone have any references to comparisons between the new and old version? I can find plenty of reviews on both but am struggling to find anything that compares the two. The older one is half the price and although they look quite different, if the performance is similar that is the one I'd go for. If the new one has significant performance or forgiveness improvements then I'd pay the extra...

I cant try anything in person while the UK is lockdown but I was hoping to have my bag ready for when we start to open up again.

Clubs.jpg.b0df6f27ceedde9520a039cf9e3b013b.jpg

Currently deciding what shaft to use in blank cells...

For my money, I'd go with the older versions. Those were sneaky good utilities. You'll lose some ball speed and distance with the shorter shaft (the OL hybrid will help retain some speed), but if you want something that is easy to hit and will roll out quite a bit, I can't think of anything better. 

• Like 1

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

I ended up getting the old black utility and a SZ 4/5 adjustable one length hybrid to put up against each other for a spot in a back.

the utility as a 5 and the hybrid as a 4 is also a potential option. just need them to a) arrive and b) open up the range in the UK so i can get some testing in now...

Clubs.jpg.b0df6f27ceedde9520a039cf9e3b013b.jpg

Currently deciding what shaft to use in blank cells...