What would you change about the Handicap System?

DaveP043

• Guests
On 1/18/2021 at 11:13 AM, DaveP043 said:

We're about a year into the World Handicap System in the USGA areas.  What changes do you think would improve the system?  I'm aiming this primarily at US folks, but comments from anywhere are welcome.

I would personally do nothing to the handicap system as is or was... same rules for everyone hopefully everyone follows...

I would though as you speak of being on a "handicap committee" take the money out of member guest's.   Member member tournaments are where the calcutta's should be not member guest tourneys as you cannot regulate or track random guests handicaps....   Member member tournaments at least you know all the participants.   I'm one of the guys who get so tired of listening to membership complaining about someones handicap at a member invitational.   I've played in 30 to 40 over the years and won 1.   Get to the shootout once every 5 or 6 years which is about what average should be and play impecibly by the rules of golf as I know them to be.   I have sat at a couple events tho and gotten into arguments with members about handicap sandbaggers at member invites...just take the money out of it is my simple solution and you would hear almost no complaints....member invitational is a time for friendship and 1st above all showing off the club to the guests in my opinion.   Member member is where money or calcuttas should be held....   anyway sorry to delve into somewhat of another topic...best

5 hours ago, JJK2333 said:

take the money out of member guest's. 

As you said, this isn't a handicap system problem, but an individual club's tournament committee problem.  Not necessarily, the handicap committee, usually they don't run the tournaments.  At my home club, we've decided that players whose handicaps can be verified with a phone call will get 100%, players with e-club handicaps get 75%, and the very few players who can only provide a few scores without any kind of handicap will get 50% of the calculated number.  I understand that this does discriminate against some honest players, but there can be a bunch of money at stake.  This is why I always recommend that someone seeking a handicap should join at a specific golf course (public is fine), make sure to talk to the pro or someone with the handicap committee, make sure you're a real person and not just a number in the computer somewhere.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 5 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 2:25 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Great minds think alike. 

Agree with you guys. Cheaters are always going to find away to cheat.   Most groups I play with don't pay that much attention to validate or in validate a score.  I am probably harder on myself then most people I get put with when playing.   

I play with a guy that does not understand the system and I see where is he coming from. He is a 11.2 and plays the same Gold tee box every round.  When you look up his course handicap on GHIN, his course handicap on Gold is a 7.  The next tee box is White and he is a 9.  The next tee box is Black he is 11 and he never plays the Black or White tee boxes. He believes that if he is playing the Gold box all of the time than his “course” HCP should be equal to HCP.  

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7 wood | Titleist 818 H1 5 hybrid | Titleist T300 6-GW | Titleist SM9 52F & 56S wedges | Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid putter | Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro | Titleist Pro V1 yellow or Srixon Q-STAR TOUR V4 yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1: :srixon-small:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

42 minutes ago, CrazyGolfNut said:

I play with a guy that does not understand the system and I see where is he coming from. He is a 11.2 and plays the same Gold tee box every round.  When you look up his course handicap on GHIN, his course handicap on Gold is a 7.  The next tee box is White and he is a 9.  The next tee box is Black he is 11 and he never plays the Black or White tee boxes. He believes that if he is playing the Gold box all of the time than his “course” HCP should be equal to HCP.  

Course handicap takes the slope of the course into consideration.  11.2 is his index, based on his 8 best scores in the last 20 rounds posted.  That 11.2 index carries to any course or tee box he plays and is then further calculated to the individual course.  Some courses are tougher or easier than others but his 11.2 index is standard.  This is why as he goes to tees further back (harder) his handicap will increase.  When he played the gold tees, his course handicap is 7.  Apparently, the gold tees are very easy comparative to average courses.  He he played an relative "average" course/tee box, his course handicap would likely be 11

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug