TESTERS WANTED! ×

PMookie’s 2021 driver sampling

PMookie

Really cool read. The short and heavy intuitively makes sense. I wonder how some variation of that would work for a slower swing speed player.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Great read .

FYI those italicized spin numbers mean that trackman didn’t pick up the spin so it just estimated it. This happens all the time with trackman indoors, even when they use the silver dots on the ball. 

Also ignore smash factor, especially on trackman. Trackman is notorious for under reading club head speed, which means smash factor is artificially high 

Just checked out there shafts and $50 to $550, yikes! With that amount of consistency it's hard to argue with but no way I could go to the wife and say I was about to spend $750+ on one golf club. I also dont swing nearly as fast as you so my guess would be the reward wouldnt be as fitting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Does Busa have shafts for slower swing speeds, say 85-95? Just asking for a friend.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

25 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Does Busa have shafts for slower swing speeds, say 85-95? Just asking for a friend.....

Pmookie could probably provide more detail, but Busa is the name of the shaft line from XXXphlex. As you can guess, XXXphlex makes long drive shafts. Not sure if any XXXphlex shafts come in stuff or regular. 

They are part of the Velix shaft company. Velix makes shafts for us every day folks. 

My slow swinging friends are asking too

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

As Joe mentioned, Xphlexxx is the long drive brand, and Veylix does have “normal” shafts. For instance, I play the Veylix Rome in my fairway wood, and they do have various ranges of flex. The owner and designer of Veylix, JC Beeson, used to be the lead designer of shafts for Matrix.... Went out on his own.

Here’s a link to the Veylix Alpina which is made in a 50g model. http://veylix.com/product/alpina/

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Thanks for sharing the review, very interesting. As it relates to the F9 have you found that you respond better to those really heavy swing weights? I know it something some people respond really well to that while others find it too much work to swing fast and thus drop the swing speed as a result. Do you play irons at a very heavy swing weight as well? Sorry, on last one what was the total weight on the F9 obviously the heavy head really influences that swing weight, what what was shaft weight you ended up putting together in this? Thanks again, its so interesting to see how different swings respond to such different equipment set ups.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

12 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Really cool read. The short and heavy intuitively makes sense. I wonder how some variation of that would work for a slower swing speed player.

Ping does really well with the slower swing market. Heavier head means more stability at impact, and produces faster ball speeds given the same club head speed.

The question is how much is lost with the shorter shaft. Simple physics that the shorter shaft will be slower, but if you can swing it even close  to a maximum CHS, the heavier head will make up for it. And if you have a varying strike pattern with a longer shaft and a short shaft minimizes that, you will see a greater smash factor and more consistent ball speed.

For some, the heavier head also helps with swing path and shallowing. You dont come OTT when chopping down a tree with a heavy axe. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

14 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Ping does really well with the slower swing market. Heavier head means more stability at impact, and produces faster ball speeds given the same club head speed.

The question is how much is lost with the shorter shaft. Simple physics that the shorter shaft will be slower, but if you can swing it even close  to a maximum CHS, the heavier head will make up for it. And if you have a varying strike pattern with a longer shaft and a short shaft minimizes that, you will see a greater smash factor and more consistent ball speed.

For some, the heavier head also helps with swing path and shallowing. You dont come OTT when chopping down a tree with a heavy axe. 

Yes, heavier has always been better for me for finding center-face contact. My irons are ALWAYS heavy since I have to have them at +1”. My current Honma irons are D8. Srixons I had were E2... Not many companies other than Ping can build long clubs and drop the extra 6 swing weights an inch adds.

This build isn’t for everyone. As Robert said, one has to have speed FIRST for it to work. I’m a tall guy, 6’5”, and can handle the weight, but it’s not for everyone. The issue I see is that those who COULD handle it never get a chance to try it because fitters would have no idea to do it because it’s counterintuitive. 

61168F6C-BB45-43B9-82B8-420984B32FBB.jpeg

24 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

4 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Yes, heavier has always been better for me for finding center-face contact. My irons are ALWAYS heavy since I have to have them at +1”. My current Honma irons are D8. Srixons I had were E2... Not many companies other than Ping can build long clubs and drop the extra 6 swing weights an inch adds.

This build isn’t for everyone. As Robert said, one has to have speed FIRST for it to work. I’m a tall guy, 6’5”, and can handle the weight, but it’s not for everyone. The issue I see is that those who COULD handle it never get a chance to try it because fitters would have no idea to do it because it’s counterintuitive. 

61168F6C-BB45-43B9-82B8-420984B32FBB.jpeg

I am intrigued by the overall concept, but not necessarily replicating the same build. For example, heavier head, like a ping maybe even with added weight with like a 44" shaft (something stiffer than i would normally play, but not a long drive flex).

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I am intrigued by the overall concept, but not necessarily replicating the same build. For example, heavier head, like a ping maybe even with added weight with like a 44" shaft (something stiffer than i would normally play, but not a long drive flex).

Could be easier to demo the Cobra Tour Length drivers. 44.5 inches. 18g and 6 gram weight, so you can swap the 6 for another 12 or 18 if you really want to add weight. And added head weight makes the shaft player weaker.  

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

On 1/19/2021 at 11:02 AM, scooterhd2 said:

Could be easier to demo the Cobra Tour Length drivers. 44.5 inches. 18g and 6 gram weight, so you can swap the 6 for another 12 or 18 if you really want to add weight. And added head weight makes the shaft player weaker.  

The set-up yesterday had the 18 in back, 14 in front.

Incredible numbers there. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

The 5-6x thing is throwing me for a loop. I go at it about the same as you and I can’t even imagine getting something that stiff. Along with the speed, do you have a quick and/violent transition? I guess I’m curious as to why he went that stiff. Great write up!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I haven’t talked to Robo in a while. Wonder if the cell # I have for him is still the same? 😂😂😂 We talked several times in the past and I remember the catalyst for us speaking a few times... He decided when he couldn’t easily strip the paint on a ping driver to burn it off in a fire. They freaked out 😂😂😂

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:39 PM, Rtracymog said:

The 5-6x thing is throwing me for a loop. I go at it about the same as you and I can’t even imagine getting something that stiff. Along with the speed, do you have a quick and/violent transition? I guess I’m curious as to why he went that stiff. Great write up!

He picks the golfer by speed, but also build. All 5 of us that have it are over 6’3”, and I’m the slowest swinger of the group! I promise you, it doesn’t FEEL like it’s that stuff because of the head weight. Yeah, take a 5-6X shaft and put a normal Sim 2 head on it and the shaft won’t deflect at all.

The head weight matters BIG time.

He went that stiff because it works for a subsection of golfers. It’s hard to grasp because no one does it. Long drive guys fight it at the start too, but once it’s in their hands they wake-up.

Rob has YEARS of experience. He knows what he’s doing, and he won’t let just anyone try it. I had to meet him and get on a monitor for him to see my swing (HOW I swing not just how fast) to see if it would work, and even see if he needed to make adjustments. Plus, this Busa 2 isn’t just a Ventus, or Paderson, etc. He chose THAT model for a reason...

1 hour ago, RookieBlue7 said:

I haven’t talked to Robo in a while. Wonder if the cell # I have for him is still the same? 😂😂😂 We talked several times in the past and I remember the catalyst for us speaking a few times... He decided when he couldn’t easily strip the paint on a ping driver to burn it off in a fire. They freaked out 😂😂😂

Yep, I saw that driver when I picked-up my club. And it wasn’t to remove the paint, it was to burn the hot melt out of it!

It’s a “three wood” now! He’s always tinkering 

2 hours ago, RookieBlue7 said:

😂😂😂😂😂

5C656FC2-D6D0-42FE-8E22-D5EA3F62376E.jpeg

20 hours ago, PMookie said:

Yep, I saw that driver when I picked-up my club. And it wasn’t to remove the paint, it was to burn the hot melt out of it!

It’s a “three wood” now! He’s always tinkering 

That’s right, it was to remove the hotmelt lol. It’s been so long I’d forgot it was to remove paintfill 😂😂😂

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:54 AM, fozcycle said:

I think we both know that guy 😉

Callaway Epic Speed + Mitsubishi MMT

TaylorMade SIM Titanium + Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

Titleist U510 20* + Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic

Mizuno 919 Forged + Paderson Kinetixx TS-I

Cleveland CBX2 54*, Vokey SM8 58*

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Pro V1

Paul, you and I are almost mirror image with numbers so this data speaks to me...it also gives me an idea on what I COULD possibly see when I get fit later this month. 

What was your favorite head of the group after time has passed...Still Srixon?

The Sim2 looked like a low spin and low launch machine based upon the estimates. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/