Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wilson D7 Face Failure

Bluesman57

I bought a set of Wilson D7 woods (D, 3, 5) last summer, and do like them a lot.  However, I experienced an issue at the range last month, and wanted to let you guys know about it.  If it was just a one-off as I thought, I wouldn't be so concerned.  However, I have pasted a comment from a customer review on pluggedingolf.com, in which someone had a similar issue.

I was hitting balls at the range last month, and heard a sound that was completely foreign to me after hitting a D7 5-wood.  I looked at the club, and the face had a vertical crack from the sole to the crown, ending with a 1/4 inch piece of the crown that, for lack of better words, seemed to peel back.  I took the club to the retailer from which I purchased it in the summer, and they sent it back to Wilson.  10 days later, I had a brand new 5-wood from Wilson.  Glad that they made it right, but I'm a bit concerned that this is the second incident wherein there seemed to be a catastrophic failure in the face of one of the D7 woods.

I’m not exactly Bryson…. but I middled a tee shot at the weekend and my Wilson D7 3 wood EXPLODED ….

The ball impacted square in the middle of the sweet spot and blew a 2cm wide hole in the club face. I have never seen anything like it.

Anyway Wilson customer support has been useless. Not taking any ownership for build quality. Telling me to go back to the retailer etc etc.
That may be their policy but when a club fails so spectacularly I was hopeful that they would seek to maintain brand confidence by addressing the issue.
Was swinging nicely prior to this incident.
Stay away from the D7 range.

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

1 hour ago, Bluesman57 said:

I bought a set of Wilson D7 woods (D, 3, 5) last summer, and do like them a lot.  However, I experienced an issue at the range last month, and wanted to let you guys know about it.  If it was just a one-off as I thought, I wouldn't be so concerned.  However, I have pasted a comment from a customer review on pluggedingolf.com, in which someone had a similar issue.

I was hitting balls at the range last month, and heard a sound that was completely foreign to me after hitting a D7 5-wood.  I looked at the club, and the face had a vertical crack from the sole to the crown, ending with a 1/4 inch piece of the crown that, for lack of better words, seemed to peel back.  I took the club to the retailer from which I purchased it in the summer, and they sent it back to Wilson.  10 days later, I had a brand new 5-wood from Wilson.  Glad that they made it right, but I'm a bit concerned that this is the second incident wherein there seemed to be a catastrophic failure in the face of one of the D7 woods.

I’m not exactly Bryson…. but I middled a tee shot at the weekend and my Wilson D7 3 wood EXPLODED ….

The ball impacted square in the middle of the sweet spot and blew a 2cm wide hole in the club face. I have never seen anything like it.

Anyway Wilson customer support has been useless. Not taking any ownership for build quality. Telling me to go back to the retailer etc etc.
That may be their policy but when a club fails so spectacularly I was hopeful that they would seek to maintain brand confidence by addressing the issue.
Was swinging nicely prior to this incident.
Stay away from the D7 range.

Hate to hear about the trouble you've had. Do you have pictures of the carnage?  Would love to see what the results were.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Sorry, I didn't have my phone, and I went directly to the shop from the range. The store manager said that he'd never seen anything like it.

Hate to hear about the trouble you've had. Do you have pictures of the carnage?  Would love to see what the results were.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

Glad to know Wilson/Staff made it right for you. Their customer service and engagement has always been great.

That second review in italics doesn't bother me in the least. Someone's griping that W/S has a set policy and they didn't want to follow it? Yeah OK pal.

I've got a D7 driver and I've hit that thing all over the face, hit the ground with fat shots, got dummy marks on it, and haven't seen any issues at all with build quality. 

Wilson/Staff makes great products. Faces caving in happens, if you search around you'll find plenty of people complaining about Callaway & TaylorMade faces caving in. With faces getting so thin, it's bound to happen. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

30 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Glad to know Wilson/Staff made it right for you. Their customer service and engagement has always been great.

That second review in italics doesn't bother me in the least. Someone's griping that W/S has a set policy and they didn't want to follow it? Yeah OK pal.

I've got a D7 driver and I've hit that thing all over the face, hit the ground with fat shots, got dummy marks on it, and haven't seen any issues at all with build quality. 

Wilson/Staff makes great products. Faces caving in happens, if you search around you'll find plenty of people complaining about Callaway & TaylorMade faces caving in. With faces getting so thin, it's bound to happen. 

Sounds like Wilson is NOT taking ownership

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Just now, JonMUSC08 said:

Sounds like Wilson is NOT taking ownership

How is being directed to return the club to the point of purchase so it can be returned/replaced not taking ownership? The OP was taken care of. The pasted review, if they had followed directions instead of griping online, would have been taken care of. 

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

How is being directed to return the club to the point of purchase so it can be returned/replaced not taking ownership? The OP was taken care of. The pasted review, if they had followed directions instead of griping online, would have been taken care of. 

sorry, guess it wasnt clear if the retailer DID help fix it. Most times I see to register your clubs on the manufacturers site and problems get settled to the manufacturer.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

1 minute ago, JonMUSC08 said:

sorry, guess it wasnt clear if the retailer DID help fix it. Most times I see to register your clubs on the manufacturers site and problems get settled to the manufacturer.

Every manufacturer is different. W/S's policy is apparently to go through the point of purchase, which a lot of other companies have as a policy as well. The OP states that he was taken care of by W/S via his bringing it back to the retailer. The second pasted review just wanted to whine. 

This is happening with every manufacturer. Faces are getting thinner and thinner. When you’ve got multi-material heads, the bonds aren’t as strong as the all metal ones used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7