Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

BirdieBall Putting Mat 4'x8' Review

GambyGolfGuy

A little backstory

I'm ~12 handicap with MANY inconsistencies and weaknesses in my game.   Starting last year I decided to really focus in on specific parts of my game for improvement.   Last year was short chips and driver consistency.

This year's focus is driver consistency (last year's goal was not met - any tips would be helpful) and short putts.   For putting this year, I set a specific goal: to meet or exceed the tour average from 5-6 feet (~75%).  The Grint has me at 34.0 putts per round, and while I do not have the data to say how many of those putts were missed at 6 feet, I'll tell you it sure felt like a hell of a lot.  I would estimate I make about 40-50% from that range, with zero confidence as I stand over them.  This is classic "tester" range, and if you are like me, those failed tests then linger in your brain for the next few holes, which can end up costing you a few more shots.  Conversely, banging one of those home is a great momentum builder for me. 

So I purchased the BirdieBall mat a month ago, and have rolled at least 15-20 putts daily from about 6 feet.  Now I have played a couple rounds.   Here are some of the observations and results. 

Physical Quality - 9/10

This thing legit feels like a green.  One review I read somewhere (probably on MGS) compared it to flat pool noodle with a grained texture on top.  I can't say it better.  You step on it, and it slightly sinks for a minute, then returns to it's original quality.   I feel like I'm actually on a green when I step on it (I will return to this thought in a second).   The only thing I wish is that it was a bit heavier.  But that's nitpicking.   

i1hhPl3RLttDM1T94GU7w2XxNDYdMeGhMJHY_iGKpUeZ8eyUpzlRbHsXKOhfmGW1PX0GhD0md1zEH1_0Z9-FGEnOxSGp-Si_jyYwuKI7AdQLaH9spynHk7Uz_Y8_EThlemzBXsmZJkzFLsl46rHFXbaumkPsMACSLbAbA8Rr0mKQdbtsaPET4Yr0bVDbIzKQ1_43ohO7A7loDHllJ68Me9DODduuMLFfW-1wVx7U1uIw4k9_nOB0N8TmphamFkOuK3moTkZJv2cYSQ36u-HPpIJryojkkkjN0E9KK68X-Qri2tl8SCa1kAboMmMmzzMCOgDOxFE44JIjg3H7-0m8G61TF_NY9DiLy0uVK_gxjhkNVrkoMg1Fz0Ag5yp7tB_-rBpWY8grBhlzSuLwgxKb6MXI1UVzPJbDZuR_W5WX7KDwovJ_zsd3eJRuTu8qSTo9oo1aC6vh_WL_l_LOyvqvhWoYlGEmCrkt3FYe3Sw6VNoOS0aUNeLJmFV9C-0OskpEgsv7ra2dHyYQOgCKmbkB2aTIc3kePmA81TZbjF3ZgJ21Sun2IjPMuxUEa10bMMZhEgA8hbBx9yjHD3bankrsHVkn6FYd1sihOLOKDdSydsKBt1B7HxLhWr4fBF6Ga3dfjoS3RnXSp7AbwvAG5vMHrQq8v8TQhrbB1FiAuTCw-CjuEIGuZfp3-udMRP9I2G8=w675-h507-no?authuser=0

This grain is quality...

8TB5NcKWdXRA5d7rndKIKhP9vvO6BDnL5jaCwhCPd4f-78KmrftyLV4DgELLBI_wFAinO3AI9L0dlv1DENIe5ygs7O3zflRuMgGhJ0tR9g1rilwV2x7sZBOXOFc2L17l4T20IK3-EMrcbsCUQ9Ivxdbp35ULoKp1sATBpcp9T-nhBoDW9Wm3OAP8RYxc3g9ilK1j5KR3XOoIL1lkErkVExtcLHr7Y6NHe7BrwWd-n1xXkkq57V-Lmab2DU0_Gj_o21qtRxi9v1GA6fG7Z9lx9pLmxusK1voYvGbK78qDmiz-BgF8mnb0SjzIhW0Qf9t52g2b0QOI0_Ak0HqeZr7UyUuPjOn7xHFkp3vXqivSq8W6VkD572sJBxLbd5lzWYxbokDldUBa8SzLa7BnMAh7z5yBEQAaGxKaOIeXcHEiIz--yeeztJCFJXKofKW2qJgL_tcrhZ4tg4SF20EAGIC97jHbsJm-RcHZyEveKrYmUVa4rkqpf6oeIUQjrc7HWJCcUHocS7_dLj_pJjohA1DjoYDguj_bNcyRed55-l_UvnY4BJDmhow3d59iXSqHhysLMibE1XV0wcZ3pPxLZJB1Hh_kuuVb0Lw4bEw-YVzbjXeH4Qeu5LDK31eru0dsDRDOH4NyIFJIG2O9lDTHWXjQPiYI_JWimHjAH-K_DpShGHXcEUIQO15G2Tbxefq6pOI=w675-h507-no?authuser=0

Ground level view.  Super flat, no wrinkling or creases...

KFCcQfuNjzRjHEx7k-wSAuwzICWNOF-XS1aJ4O-NjBqAGdWyOoAj2fJ4318auClA1T_rcM_H29feohpz1ssWXABQ60lUqWNaqFDmhy3WRNQ2IV-QG9748yzxhUvIQaUedgaHgjldOEMJ9mAZtvyvbbTd1wgHK-nqKsm7G_eguGEU5IaNfXt2-Y2YljLHs5gBOLbjuTGF4EEu4HMj246heX2PkrwDgrGC_uT7Tlid6zbUyU_hLwwyLEaCam_J7cBwEbSPiAqVtir8bKCeTajeqs4eMgYsnfWwiOWOX0tCB6V8cMf5LdmurjXmYPVlnoIMlFESunmmkMqoEIAZRpNurR31Y1-0C5hnoet5uGSVKY-QXnD73owyvhCGM3mNCotyle-OBQQCfOAXHiakdjbQb3MTdNKC76fVKgSzkJkQNcIFcyWQOrVRt4FU8CrrSt-0M7D7kfVNVlYU8s9JmeomTpDXl-Kx1q51fJC_1aZy_0oVfjDx_NHK0S6-CsEBTh_L3CdYZDeO8M_jfaDO-6mlatp5dTUNZhHQiOojTfzMrNRzD2U4qDAk9JFeMtmhPuWQnESV7hVGNyQb1R5k8xNJhvs5C4CtcGcblA4s6nYu_eS3becNW-Tf0EClq6Dsaa2Dmaz1vNhsQzN1Sj2-gjJdsEb8hAvwB5dkc1uJwNUrNBoYZ6UTTOa9s6sf0MC5Q3c=w675-h507-no?authuser=0

Love that it will actually drop in the hole.  Which brings me to a little mini-detour in my review...

Some additional thoughts (skip down if you want to get back to the actual review) - I read a really interesting book a month ago, which is guiding all of the practice I'm doing.  It's Every Shot Must Have a Purpose by Pia Nillson.  One of the main ideas of the book is to simulate real golf as much as possible when practicing.  For example - don't hit your driver a bunch of times in a row at the range - you would never do that during an actual round of golf.  Back to this putting mat - I bought it looking to simulate "real" putting as much as possible.  When deciding on what to purchase, it was important to me to not want to look at lines down the putting mat when I'm putting.   The Perfect Practice Mat that DJ endorses looks cool, but when I stand over the ball on a course I will not have 10 feet of lines on the green in front of me.  Similarly, being able to stand on top of the mat allows me to zone out everything outside the mat.  I am in it.  Which is why I selected 4 feet wide, even though birdieball does offer more narrow options.   End detour rant.

Performance Quality - 9/10

Simply put - the thing rolls straight.    I'm pretty certain that I have some imperfections in my basement floor, and I still can't get it to roll anywhere except straight.  Terrific performance is all I can say.

Two tiny notes:  The speed is mostly good, but I would say just a touch too quick.  I ordered the middle tier option (10-11 stimpmeter) and it feels quick.  Supposedly one side is with grain and one is against grain.  I don't notice much of a difference.   Two:  The mat is a total of 8'.  So expect to hit 5-6' putts.  The hole is about a foot from the edge.  I somewhat wish I had gone a little longer, but that's obviously no fault of Birdieball. 

Impact on the Course (so far) - 10/10

Obviously this is going to depend on the individual, but through two rounds the putting mat has adjusted my mentality and consistency, which has helped my performance.  I can drop myself mentally onto the mat when I'm standing over a putt within 6 feet.  And I know the straight puts at home will translate to the course.   As a practice tool I think that is as good as you can ask for.   

But I will also add: The opportunity to practice putting daily is a huge change to my golf routine.  Prior to purchasing this, my practice consisted of going out 15-30 minutes before the round and rolling a few.  Then I stand on the green with unfamiliarity and uncertainty from my grip, to my rhythm, to where I'm aiming, etc. etc.   Being able to hit putts frequently has allowed me to test out a variety of grips.  Figure out a rhythm.  Develop consistency.  I am so much more comfortable over putts at the moment.  Over the last two rounds I have made 7 out of 11 from the roughly 5-6' range.  63%.  Baby steps.

Overall - 28/30

Thanks for reading.  As you can tell - I highly recommend.  A huge help if this is a weakness in your game, like it is in mine.  I'm going to continue to track putts in the 5-6 foot range.  Will report back. 

• Driver:cobra-small: F9 Speedback 9 degree / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 Stiff
  • 3 Wood:callaway-small:  X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite 
  • 5 Wood:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite
  • 3 Hybrid:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 80g Mid/Mid Torque Graphite
  • 4-PW,AW:taylormade-small: RocketBladez / Taylormade RocketFuel Steel
  • LW:vokey-small: BV 60-04 
  • Putter:1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact Series No. 3
  • Ball:  :Snell:MTB-X Optic Yellow

Thanks dude. I hadn't looked too much into the puttup option because of the significant price jump. I hope my review can be helpful for anyone considering the basic mat, but it looks like you can't go wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Driver:cobra-small: F9 Speedback 9 degree / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 Stiff
  • 3 Wood:callaway-small:  X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite 
  • 5 Wood:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite
  • 3 Hybrid:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 80g Mid/Mid Torque Graphite
  • 4-PW,AW:taylormade-small: RocketBladez / Taylormade RocketFuel Steel
  • LW:vokey-small: BV 60-04 
  • Putter:1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact Series No. 3
  • Ball:  :Snell:MTB-X Optic Yellow

I have a 2x12’ birdie ball mat and I love it. I’ve found that using the inserts to cover the holE on one or both ends has allowed me to putt almost the full length of the mat, and when I add on the putt out trainer I’m nearly at 12’. 

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great review imo. I got one after reviewing this thread, MGS recent write up article & reviewing other MGS discussions. Very happy so far. I had previously been using Perfect Putting putting mat but the Birdie Ball roll a little more true imo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app