Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Brooks Koepka moving to Srixon??

His Mizunos are out of the bag and ZX7s are in for irons, UI and Driver. Will Srixon blow up now??

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKPgmaZF5mq/?igshid=qhy64yltii98

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Brooks doesn’t move the equipment needle unless it’s a scotty cameron putter. Mizuno saw no increase in sales from his wins.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

23 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Brooks doesn’t move the equipment needle unless it’s a scotty cameron putter. Mizuno saw no increase in sales from his wins.

I don’t know if i would completely agree with that. I think an argument could be made that Brooks helped make the JPX line what it has now become. Prior to him, not many people would consider JPX unless they were going game improvement. Now the JPX line seems to be showing up in more bags but at least appears to be on most golfers try/fit list before buying a new set of irons.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

58 minutes ago, DPattGolf said:

I don’t know if i would completely agree with that. I think an argument could be made that Brooks helped make the JPX line what it has now become. Prior to him, not many people would consider JPX unless they were going game improvement. Now the JPX line seems to be showing up in more bags but at least appears to be on most golfers try/fit list before buying a new set of irons.

I dont know about all that.  I doubt that most people even realized that Brooks played Mizunos.  All that really matters to most people is the logo that is on a player's hat.  Besides, JPX was a thing long before Brooks started playing them.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

6 minutes ago, BadgerGolfer said:

Besides, JPX was a thing long before Brooks started playing them.

I bought mine without knowing Brooks played Mizunos. And Mizuno irons have had a strong following for decades.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

1 hour ago, DPattGolf said:

Yes he helped make them but when you look at the sales of Mizuno irons they didn’t gain any market share. 

as for Srixon they are even less available in retail stores than Mizuno and the general public doesn’t know much about the company. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Brooks may help build brand awareness and help Srixon increase sales, but I don't think to the point where Srixon will gain any noticeable market share.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I like Brooks but I agree with those who are doubtful about him moving the needle.  Srixon has had some very good players in its stable.  It's very hard to crack the Callaway/TMag/Titleist/Ping mix.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think if Brooks returns to his major-winning form, he would definitely move the needle for Srixon. And if it’s a total deal(aka Hideki Matsuyama) expect a lot more commercials...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

8 hours ago, Micah T said:

I think if Brooks returns to his major-winning form, he would definitely move the needle for Srixon. And if it’s a total deal(aka Hideki Matsuyama) expect a lot more commercials...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I would be surprised if he gets a total deal. The money it costs them to pay Hideki to play driver they can pay 5 people to play their ball. It would cost a lot to sign Brooks to a full deal including driver. The pic I saw from his bag this week he still has a Nike long iron and scotty cameron putter. Didn’t see what’s under the headcovers 

Well, with Nike arrows no longer being made and having broken his swoosh driving iron, what's a guy to do?  Hang a wanted sign up at the local club notices board and see what comes along 🙂.  I do think he'll move the needle a bit and this will be a positive ROI for Srixon.  They have a solid following and quality products - and the timing of this with the release of the ZX series is not by chance.  My Truespec fitter said they have them available and I plan to test the ZX5.  He said they are getting very high marks from customers.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Has there been any chatter suggesting he's actually signing a deal with Srixon? Seems like he's been enjoying having the freedom to put whatever clubs he wants to without a contract holding him down, but money certainly talks.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

The story of him and the Mizuno irons was really interesting and something that i heard on broadcast and much more so I think he does move the needle to an extent. He also seems to just not care about equipment other then it working for him. I can recall him gaming a older M2 for a while and that Nike 2 iron, so him going to Srixons would be awesome for them. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I think @ncwoz asks the most pertinent question: is anyone actually hearing anything about a deal, or is he just playing the clubs?

In terms of marketing value, I agree with those who say this isn't going to launch Srixon up to the Callaway/Taylormade/Titleist/PING echelon, but on the margins, where Srixon lives, I suspect it matters. The kinds of guys who read golf forums, the kind who actually would know what sticks Brooks have in his bag, who also know that he's switching to them from those Mizunos, those are the guys who go into a fitting and say, "Yeah, lemme hit those too."

I don't think the idea is that people are going to flock to the store to get what Brooks has in his bag. It's about incrementally changing how seriously avid golfers take your brand. On that, assuming some kind of return to form for Brooks, I have to see this as a significant good thing for Srixon, deal or no deal.

Jonathan Wall said Andrew Tursky from golf.com is on site and working on gathering information and putting a story together. I’d expect that information to be released later today tomorrow when the tournament starts 

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I think @ncwoz asks the most pertinent question: is anyone actually hearing anything about a deal, or is he just playing the clubs?

In terms of marketing value, I agree with those who say this isn't going to launch Srixon up to the Callaway/Taylormade/Titleist/PING echelon, but on the margins, where Srixon lives, I suspect it matters. The kinds of guys who read golf forums, the kind who actually would know what sticks Brooks have in his bag, who also know that he's switching to them from those Mizunos, those are the guys who go into a fitting and say, "Yeah, lemme hit those too."

I don't think the idea is that people are going to flock to the store to get what Brooks has in his bag. It's about incrementally changing how seriously avid golfers take your brand. On that, assuming some kind of return to form for Brooks, I have to see this as a significant good thing for Srixon, deal or no deal.

It's absolutely a coup for Srixon to have a player the caliber as brooks play their clubs.  Not a slight on their other pro staffers, but I think we all recognize how the media talks about brooks and his potential.  Not to mention back to back major championships.  

That said, the golf world has been abuzz about these irons since their release.  I'm not all to shocked that he tried them out.  It's definitely a blow to a brand like Mizuno if he comes out and says they are the softest and most playable irons he's hit.  Of course, that treads on mizuno's brand a bit.  Not that he was a staffer for them or anything, but you understand no doubt what I am saying.  

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I would add to your comments, which I totally agree upon, that this doesn't change a thing for a Brand that has many non-contracted players putting their clubs in their bag when they aren't being paid a penny to do so.  That will stay the same honestly. 

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

15 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

you put some respect on shane lowry’s name!!! look at that specimen!

0DC8BCE9-DCB0-45D7-9427-EF226A0111DC.jpeg

The man... the Irish Legend!  🤣  Let's give the man respek!  Even if he once looked like that! haha

BNewt51

46 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

In terms of marketing value, I agree with those who say this isn't going to launch Srixon up to the Callaway/Taylormade/Titleist/PING echelon, but on the margins, where Srixon lives, I suspect it matters. The kinds of guys who read golf forums, the kind who actually would know what sticks Brooks has in his bag, who also know that he's switching to them from those Mizunos, those are the guys who go into a fitting and say, "Yeah, lemme hit those too."

I wonder what Srixon's ROI will be on this contract, if there is one.  Probably a question of what any player endorsement ROI is... besides Tiger, Rory, DJ, maybe Rickie.  Brooks is a great player, major winner, consistent 'cupper, but does he move the needle as a player?  Are kids growing up saying I want to be Koepka...  maybe they are... but he just doesn't intrigue me as much as others without as many majors.  Would there be value in trying to grab a young gun to see if something pans out?  Or do they just get too much money thrown at them...

TOO MANY QUESTIONS!! i digress...

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Speed TD LS 9* / Ventus Blue 6X

Fairway: :callaway-small: Epic Speed 16.5* / Motore X F1 7X

Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 19* / Atmos Blue 7S

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 4i, JPX 921 Tour 5i-PW / Rifle 6.0

Wedges: :vokey-small: 51.11F RAW, 55.11D RAW, 59.07M RAW / Rifle 6.0

Putter: :tp-mills-1: GSS Dale Head Custom 34.5"

Ball: :titelist-small: 2021 ProV-1X

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

In terms of marketing value, I agree with those who say this isn't going to launch Srixon up to the Callaway/Taylormade/Titleist/PING echelon, but on the margins, where Srixon lives, I suspect it matters. The kinds of guys who read golf forums, the kind who actually would know what sticks Brooks has in his bag, who also know that he's switching to them from those Mizunos, those are the guys who go into a fitting and say, "Yeah, lemme hit those too."

They hover around the 3-5% of market share iirc from the last time a friend shared sales data. That’s where cobra and Mizuno hangout. Brooks probably doesn’t move them out of that range.

5 minutes ago, xBAGGS said:

I wonder what Srixon's ROI will be on this contract, if there is one.  Probably a question of what any player endorsement ROI is... besides Tiger, Rory, DJ, maybe Rickie.  Brooks is a great player, major winner, consistent 'cupper, but does he move the needle as a player?  Are kids growing up saying I want to be Koepka...  maybe they are... but he just doesn't intrigue me as much as others without as many majors.  Would there be value in trying to grab a young gun to see if something pans out?  Or do they just get too much money thrown at them...

TOO MANY QUESTIONS!! i digress...

I have zero business expertise. So this is totally unfounded opinion 🙂

wonder, though, if Brooks playing Srixon without a contract has more value to Srixon than if were under contract. I'm sure the bean-counters at Srixon have their spreadsheets with that answer. But it doesn't seem crazy to me to think that

Extra sets of Srixon irons sold with Brooks playing w/o contract * MSRP

might be a bigger number than

Extra sets of Srixon irons sold with Brooks playing w/ contract * MSRP - Brooks's contract

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

your not wrong

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red Velocore (Reg)

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 3-wood 15* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Blue (Reg)

Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 3hy 19* + 4hy 22* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Red (Reg)

Irons: :taylormade-small: P7mc 4-P (2* flat) Nippon NS Pro (Reg)

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 50,55,60 SB (2* flat) True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom 12

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer

Launch Monitor: Flightscope Mevo+

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

wonder, though, if Brooks playing Srixon without a contract has more value to Srixon than if were under contract. I'm sure the bean-counters at Srixon have their spreadsheets with that answer. But it doesn't seem crazy to me to think that

Extra sets of Srixon irons sold with Brooks playing w/ contract * MSRP - Brooks's contract

Thats an interesting perspective...  I guess the same scenario was played out with Mizuno.  I would say anyone with major wins, playing your irons for free, would be a win.  Nothing invested other than some free irons.  

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Without a contract all anyone will see when Brooks plays is a Nike bag, scotty cameron putter and stitch headcovers.  I don’t recall the announcers talking much about his Mizuno irons during broadcasts so not sure they would with the srixons other than maybe this week that he has new irons in the bag.  How would Srixon benefit from a non contract with little to possibly no exposure?

If he signs a deal then I would expect him to probably have a bag deal to help with the exposure.

The issues I see either way that work against Srixon.

1) they have limited retail space so outside of a pga tour superstore, Edwin watts and some green grass shops the public doesn’t get to see them.  I spent a few years working for the local rep doing demo days and even when we went to the same courses/private clubs every year people still never heard of the brand.

2) I look at Nike as an example. At their peak they had the three biggest names in men’s and women’s golf on staff with Tiger, Rory and Wie. With those names they failed to gain enough market share to sustain them growth. They were never able to crack into the top tier of clubs despite possibly have some of the best irons in the players category.  If those names aren’t moving the needle not sure a Brooks type will.

My local range which is pretty busy most days carries their clubs and they sit on the racks most of the season. They may sell 1 set of the 5 and 1 set of the 7 series in a season

43 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

That and what are they doing *if the sales are better with him not under contract* to keep him there? Are they utilizing him for data and what he would like to see in the clubs? 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

17 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If he signs a deal then I would expect him to probably have a bag deal to help with the exposure.

The question would be if Nike would pay more for the bag vs what Srixon would pay for the bag.  I am not familiar with contacts but there seems to be many high profile players utilizing another sponsor on the bag rather than iron/woods OEM.  If Srixon ponies out the money then i could see Srixon on the bag but i would doubt they beat out what Nike would pay.  That little check mark means a lot in marketing.

13 minutes ago, xBAGGS said:

The question would be if Nike would pay more for the bag vs what Srixon would pay for the bag.  I am not familiar with contacts but there seems to be many high profile players utilizing another sponsor on the bag rather than iron/woods OEM.  If Srixon ponies out the money then i could see Srixon on the bag but i would doubt they beat out what Nike would pay.  That little check mark means a lot in marketing.

Brooks I believe is no longer on his Nike contract for the bag but even if he is the way I understand the contract situation with Nike is that he would get to keep a portion of the contract related to the bag if he signed with another company so he essentially would double dip to an extent. As part of the Nike decision to leave golf they were able to sign wherever they wanted while still getting their Nike contract.

However I do think the equipment and bag deal he had Nike hard goods is over based on him signing in 2016. Unless he had a 10 year deal like rory.

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Brooks I believe is no longer on his Nike contract for the bag but even if he is the way I understand the contract situation with Nike is that he would get to keep a portion of the contract related to the bag if he signed with another company so he essentially would double dip to an extent. As part of the Nike decision to leave golf they were able to sign wherever they wanted while still getting their Nike contract.

However I do think the equipment and bag deal he had Nike hard goods is over based on him signing in 2016. Unless he had a 10 year deal like rory.

Cool!  Good to know!