Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizuno Jpx919 hot metal and practice golf

Cbfodalo

I have been a loyal callaway guy for 20 years.  My first new set was a 3-PW steelhead x14 with stock callaway shafts circa 2001 or so Since then i have played callaway diablo edge r irons, circa 2010, callaway rogue irons cf 18 and finally callaway mavrik max.  To be perfectly honest I sold the rogues for a small profit bought the mavrik max and jpx919 almost at same time.  I played about 6 rounds with mavriks and then the jpx  finally came in 3 days ago.  I played 9 holes twice and 18 today.  So here are my observations. 

The rogues where forgiving but launch was was too high, ( i actually have a set of project x 6.5 steel shafts to correct that high launch)

The mavriks max are very forgiving and long, but elevate shafts also launch too high and my dispersion was not what I would like.   I also could not really have enough feel to shape any shots. 

So now on to the Mizunos.

1st off, I freaking love these clubs not only do they look really clean. They are so smooth.  They have the true tempure tour new concept x1 shafts.  My dispersion is waaay tighter.  The trajectory is lower but distance is about the same as rogues.  They just feel so much smother through impact, a pure shot feels like effortless.  The fat shots still carry straight, but it feels like the soles just glide through the turf.  Blades do somehow feel shorter and longer where the Mavrik max feels chunky by comparison. Another added benefit is I have been able to work a little fade or draw into my approach shots.   Today I was 5w off tee about 230 down left side of dog leg left. I turned that drive beautifully, low piercing draw that turned around dog leg like I was steering it.  It did turn just a touch too much so I was on left side of fairway with a small elevated green about 180yards out on right side of fairway, protected by an ugly little bunker on left front and with some oak trees back there too.  There was also a bunker on front right but for whatever reason it did not scare me.  Apron sloped away on back right and left a nice grassy landing area.   Before the mizunos I would have tried to hit a high fade toward left tress and try to stick green , 9-10 i would be in trap on right or in grass to right of green.   I was all alone on course today. It was pretty cold really windy with some light snow blowing around. So I was  in total evaluate and practice mode.

Today I aimed for right bunker, turned my grip, and moved ball back in Stance a bit.  

1st attempt dead pull rocket deep into oaks on left side. Actually bounced out, but I did not know it from 180 out. 

2 nd shot beautiful trajectory heading right at pin but faded against wind to behind bunker on right side a little short of pin almost into back of bunker 

3rd attempt. Same setup, just closed my grip a little more. Hit ball towards right bunker with just enough draw to land on apron 6" off green pin high on right side.  Best shot of day just because of the wind and the purposeful shot shaping.  Love these irons. 

Now I am not a purest. I play by myself allot, and as long as I am not holding anyone up. I often play multiple shots till I get it right, not always, but some shots I know or think I can make i will make a few attempts. On a few approaches today, I hit shots that should have reached but did not due cold and wind or just a fat shot, so i practice hitting next club down or changing to a lower line drive.  I really enjoy this kind of practice so much more then the range or simulator. Now simulator has its place i am sure, but for me nothing is better then practicing on a golf course.   I do try to keep score on first ball struck, but I really do not care about score as much as I do the improving.  I am by ready golf rules when playing with someone else and do not take liberties. 

Anyway, really loving mizuno jpx919 hot metals and the true tempur new concept tour x1 shafts. 

I am really itching to try those project x 6.5's I have sitting here here, maybe I put them on mavrik max irons. 

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

1 hour ago, Cbfodalo said:

Now I am not a purest. I play by myself allot, and as long as I am not holding anyone up. I often play multiple shots till I get it right, not always, but some shots I know or think I can make i will make a few attempts. On a few approaches today, I hit shots that should have reached but did not due cold and wind or just a fat shot, so i practice hitting next club down or changing to a lower line drive.  I really enjoy this kind of practice so much more then the range or simulator. Now simulator has its place i am sure, but for me nothing is better then practicing on a golf course.   I do try to keep score on first ball struck, but I really do not care about score as much as I do the improving.  I am by ready golf rules when playing with someone else and do not take liberties. 

Absolutely no need to explain yourself.  Like you, I play a lot of rounds solo; especially back home in Montana.  We live rural and there just isn't a whole lot of play on my nearest courses - especially during the weekdays.  I often will play two balls off the tee or two from second shot in.  It's a great way to practice.  The JPX919HM were a toss up with the G410's I ended up choosing.  Both of these iron performed the best at my first ever iron fitting.  It was just my having played PE2's for 30 years and my familiarity with them that won the day.  Sounds like the Mizuno's are the perfect match for you - enjoy them!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

So far, but I am fickle and love to tinker with equipment and swing.  I really want to convert my great grand  dads workbench into a club building station. I think all I really need a head pulling setup and a vice adapter. 

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

9 minutes ago, Cbfodalo said:

So far, but I am fickle and love to tinker with equipment and swing.  I really want to convert my great grand  dads workbench into a club building station. I think all I really need a head pulling setup and a vice adapter. 

Actually, that sounds like a fun hobby.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I have never owned mizuno but want them.  I want hmbs.  I am 73 and want a shaft to really help me make up for poor distance but have been warned away from senior shafts.  How many clubs should I get and please help with a 85 driver max swing speed.

20 minutes ago, clingon said:

I have never owned mizuno but want them.  I want hmbs.  I am 73 and want a shaft to really help me make up for poor distance but have been warned away from senior shafts.  How many clubs should I get and please help with a 85 driver max swing speed.

A fitting is your best option.  

A 85 MPH driver swing.  You should fit nicely into the Graphite Recoil F3 offered as a non upcharge by Mizuno. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12