Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

OEM vs Aftermarket Shafts---PING G425 Tensei Raw AV as Free upgrade

HackquilleOnealy

So I'm new to all this shaft business and anyone that's ever gotten into it knows how deceiving this market is.  

Mitsubishi, i thought, was one of the more noble shaft makers in that they made the OEM vs Aftermarket made shafts obvious.  in the tenseis- the ck pro and av raw signify the more expensive made higher quality materials $350 aftermarket shafts. where just the regular tensei CK or tensei AV lacking the pro and raw monikers lets you know you're getting the cheaper made (but still decent enough) made for OEM shafts.

Now ping is offering the AV RAW ORANGE as a free upgrade with the G425 drivers.  the AV RAW ORANGE is like a $350 shaft- how can it come with a $500 driver?  Also it looks like the AV RAW blue, av raw white are $220 upgrades.  so its pretty obvious to me.  This is another example of deception in shaft manufacturers- it almost seems like they're bullied into it from head manufacturers.

wonder what that dynamic is like.

So the stock shaft is listed as just the AV Orange on Ping's website, maybe some people got it mixed up in the reviews. Also it is not uncommon for higher end shafts to be free upgrades from time to time. As a surprise to no one it does not cost 500 and 350 to produce so there is room for deals to be made. Shaft manufacturers can give e bulk discount to the OEM since ethey will buy thousands of units and the OEM might accept a smaller margin on models sold with that shaft, which is likely a small percentage of overall sales depending on the shaft. 

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/drivers/g425-lst

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

54 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

So the stock shaft is listed as just the AV Orange on Ping's website, maybe some people got it mixed up in the reviews.

I'm not splitting hairs, but they may list it as the AV Orange but it is the Raw because they only make the Orange as the AV Raw. https://www.mca-golf.com/brands/tensei™

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

the Aldila Rogue white is a pricey shaft to include as a stock option too 

Cobra has the Hzrus Smoke RDX Blue $350 and the Fujikura Motore $275 as stock options 

ping and cobra get it. It’s all about value to the customers. Meanwhile TaylorMade and Callaway still include made for shafts within their stock options (though they both have a variety of aftermarket no up charge options available if you place a custom order)

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

So the stock shaft is listed as just the AV Orange on Ping's website, maybe some people got it mixed up in the reviews. Also it is not uncommon for higher end shafts to be free upgrades from time to time. As a surprise to no one it does not cost 500 and 350 to produce so there is room for deals to be made. Shaft manufacturers can give e bulk discount to the OEM since ethey will buy thousands of units and the OEM might accept a smaller margin on models sold with that shaft, which is likely a small percentage of overall sales depending on the shaft. 

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/drivers/g425-lst

Typo on their part. It’s the AV Raw orange that’s the stock option. The picture of the shaft they show is correct 

Just now, jlukes said:

Not  true. Heck, the link you provided shows the Ck Pro Orange and the Ck orange 

That's the CK series not the AV series. The AV Orange raw is a stock offering with Ping.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

57 minutes ago, jlukes said:

the Aldila Rogue white is a pricey shaft to include as a stock option too 

Cobra has the Hzrus Smoke RDX Blue $350 and the Fujikura Motore $275 as stock options 

ping and cobra get it. It’s all about value to the customers. Meanwhile TaylorMade and Callaway still include made for shafts within their stock options (though they both have a variety of aftermarket no up charge options available if you place a custom order)

The no upcharge aftermarket shafts this year being offered by different brands are pretty interesting.

Some brands offering the RDX black as stock but not blue and titleist not offering blue at all. Some brands offering both versions for small fee but charging the full price for the blue pvd.

The aldila rogue is a perfect example of a high end shaft being offered for no fee. Brands are known to work with shaft companies to get the high end shaft in bulk to reduce their price so it can be offered stock and the shaft company gets a new model in the public’s hands

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thanks for the clarification, only makes the value of the club better if you get that one, great addition by Ping. I am glad Ping and Cobra add these shafts in stock offerings.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

9 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Thanks for the clarification, only makes the value of the club better if you get that one, great addition by Ping. I am glad Ping and Cobra add these shafts in stock offerings.

Yes and no. If you read it in the value doesn’t go up for having an aftermarket type shaft in it. If selling it outright you might be able to get some additional money but if it’s the one that comes at no upcharge shaft it might not be that significant.

Example an rdx blue shaft in a brand that offers it free you may not get much over pga value guide unless someone really wants that shaft.  If you had something like a graphite design shaft could get you an extra $100 over pga value 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Callaway has the Project X iM10 this year, which is a $300 shaft. I asked Project X and they said Callaway is using the same shaft as the aftermarket shaft (i.e. there is no OEM version)

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

One of the things I noticed when I was looking at the lineup for this years most wanted driver testing was what I considered to be higher end shafts being included as stock offerings. I did not compare all the markings (reference the TM Ventus shafts) to verify they were not made for shafts but it seems like most OEMs are putting what was considered to be aftermarket in their stock line up.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG