Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2021 ProV1 and ProV1x

null

Article up on the blog

https://mygolfspy.com/titleist-pro-v1-and-pro-v1x-golf-balls/

According to Titleist, the three-layer Pro V1 golf ball is made to fly lower than the Pro V1x, and it provides a softer feel. The four-layer Pro V1x, on the other hand, is designed for a higher flight and more spin, and provides a slightly firmer feel compared to the Pro V1.

That matches what I was told by the fitter. He also mentioned added spin around the greens on this years prov1x compared to the 2019 version.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It’s interesting. By the sound of things, the ProV1 is likely a better ball for me as it will fly lower and and spin less. 

I’m a high dynamic loft iron and wedge player so more height and spin from the 1x would lead to more ballooning and a potential loss of distance and playability in the wind

11 minutes ago, jlukes said:

It’s interesting. By the sound of things, the ProV1 is likely a better ball for me as it will fly lower and and spin less. 

I’m a high dynamic loft iron and wedge player so more height and spin from the 1x would lead to more ballooning and a potential loss of distance and playability in the wind

That’s exactly the discussion we had in my fitting. I mentioned the 1x played better for me in the wind and he said prior to 2017 version he would agree with that. I told him I didn’t play much with the 17 and 19 version of the 1x to say if I saw the samething in those. 

Based on my high ball flight with irons and mid-high with driver he said the prov1s would help me in both areas to keep things in the right flight window. 

Iirc you mentioned in the ball fitting thread you would wait til the new versions are part of the process. I would imagine anything in the beginning part of feb would have them as the sample packs based on my fitter saying they would get the non white box in 3 weeks which would be next week

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s exactly the discussion we had in my fitting. I mentioned the 1x played better for me in the wind and he said prior to 2017 version he would agree with that. I told him I didn’t play much with the 17 and 19 version of the 1x to say if I saw the samething in those. 

Based on my high ball flight with irons and mid-high with driver he said the prov1s would help me in both areas to keep things in the right flight window. 

Iirc you mentioned in the ball fitting thread you would wait til the new versions are part of the process. I would imagine anything in the beginning part of feb would have them as the sample packs based on my fitter saying they would get the non white box in 3 weeks which would be next week

Awesome. Will definitely go through it later in February 

I hit the ball high as well so I've avoided the V1x for years based on this assumption of ballooning. I'm trying to find information if these high compression, high launch balls will actually balloon. I know the high launch lower compression like Chrome Soft & Q-Star Tour do balloon on me and I lose about 1 1/2 to 2 clubs.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Only thing that intrigues me here is the price increase. So long 4 dollars a ball. I guess it smooths out the retail space to go 50, 45, 40, 35, etc. Plus, buying during the buy 3 get 1 deal takes it down to 37.50 a dozen, a steal if you don't lose many balls.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

1 hour ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I hit the ball high as well so I've avoided the V1x for years based on this assumption of ballooning. I'm trying to find information if these high compression, high launch balls will actually balloon. I know the high launch lower compression like Chrome Soft & Q-Star Tour do balloon on me and I lose about 1 1/2 to 2 clubs.

Take Dead Aim

The ball themselves won’t balloon. The ballooning comes from too much spin which is caused by the golfer and how they are delivering the club. I didn’t have ballooning with the Prov1x the few times I actually used the 2017 version (only had 1 sleeve) the fitter pointed out that the spin I do generate with them isn’t optimal to start and if I do have one of those swings that isn’t right then I increase my chance for the ballooning affect.

54 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Only thing that intrigues me here is the price increase. So long 4 dollars a ball. I guess it smooths out the retail space to go 50, 45, 40, 35, etc. Plus, buying during the buy 3 get 1 deal takes it down to 37.50 a dozen, a steal if you don't lose many balls.

If you by the 4 dozen for 3 in March they come out to less than $40/dz

On 1/21/2021 at 10:42 AM, Berg Ryman said:

Can't wait to find some to give to my friends "you play ProVs?"   😉

Edited by Imp

Mixed bag... Mizzy irons, Callaway Woods, Vokey Wedges, Odyssey putter

Gave the video fitting a try to see what they had to say.  They recommended the ProV1X left dash to help with higher ball flight and less spin off the tee.  I spin my irons plenty as I have a steep downswing, which is wonderful for irons and wedges, but not so great with the driver.  I manage it and have tried to swing up more, but it usually causes a larger dispersion on the miss.  

Working over the winter on correcting it as I lose a lot of distance from the low ball flight and spin with what my carry and total distance should actually be if optimal.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Ooo, I was able to hit the Left Dash yesterday in the Sim.... Probably my favorite feeling Titleist ball so far! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've been playing the Pro V1x for about 5 years now. I quickly preferred it to the Pro V1 given the ball flight. Back then they were considerably firmer than most all other tour balls. They're softer now, and I like the feel. Played the TM TP5 for about a season, finally gave it up for the V1x. I keep about 6 dozen of the V1 to play in heavy wind in an attempt to keep the flight down. I am so stocked up, I probably won't buy again until the 2025 model becomes available.😄