Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Pinehurst Trip

juspoole

Hoping all works out and I don't jinx myself.  But planning a work trip to Pinehurst for a 2 night stay and planning to play No. 2, 4 and 8.   Excited to play and see the resort as I've heard countless great things about the experience.  

I was fortunate enough to go Bandon Dunes in April 2019 and had an absolute blast.  The courses and accommodations were all top notch and frankly it will be tough to top that experience.  That's even with some 50* days and a lot of rain and win on day 1.  I would go back in a heartbeat.

The nicer thing about this, is that I will not have to front the bill!

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

2 hours ago, juspoole said:

Hoping all works out and I don't jinx myself.  But planning a work trip to Pinehurst for a 2 night stay and planning to play No. 2, 4 and 8.   Excited to play and see the resort as I've heard countless great things about the experience.  

I was fortunate enough to go Bandon Dunes in April 2019 and had an absolute blast.  The courses and accommodations were all top notch and frankly it will be tough to top that experience.  That's even with some 50* days and a lot of rain and win on day 1.  I would go back in a heartbeat.

The nicer thing about this, is that I will not have to front the bill!

I love Pinehurst, own a condo about 4 miles from the resort itself, and get to the area at least once a year.  You may be on a plan where you're eating at the resort all the time, but let me know if you need recommendations for "off-campus" eating or drinking.  And if you're looking for an afternoon round, try #3.  Its short, but lots of the original Ross green complexes, its still an interesting test.  The Cradle is great too, as @Popeye64 suggests.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Do not overlook playing the Cradle. Its an 18 hole par 3.. its not to be missed.

Thanks - will definitely have to put some time out of the way for that one.  Heard a few things, but thanks for the advice.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

21 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I love Pinehurst, own a condo about 4 miles from the resort itself, and get to the area at least once a year.  You may be on a plan where you're eating at the resort all the time, but let me know if you need recommendations for "off-campus" eating or drinking.

Wow, that's a great set up and idea.  May have to message you some time about potential vrbo type deal or something when I'm on my own dime. 

You are correct, it made more fiscal sense to put a package together this time around within Pinehurst, but definitely will have to take you up on that if I get the chance to go back soon.  We will have some extra time day 2 as we are only planning one round of golf that day, so I'll see if I can coax another round out of the group or do the cradle as you and @Popeye64have suggested.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:15 PM, juspoole said:

Wow, that's a great set up and idea.  May have to message you some time about potential vrbo type deal or something when I'm on my own dime. 

You are correct, it made more fiscal sense to put a package together this time around within Pinehurst, but definitely will have to take you up on that if I get the chance to go back soon.  We will have some extra time day 2 as we are only planning one round of golf that day, so I'll see if I can coax another round out of the group or do the cradle as you and @Popeye64have suggested.

I did a Pinehurst trip prior to the remodel of #4. We actually played #2 twice, along with #1( late afternoon round), #6, #8, and #9. #4 was closed due to weather damage and the remodel was announced the month after we were there. Breakfast in the Carolina lodge was exceptional if staying there. This was pre- cradle, but I am planning on going back for this. It helps to have people along that want to play. We played 36 a day for three consecutive days. Exhausting, but being that we were there, it made sense. A couple of tips with #2. Try and set it up as a replay round. It will save a bit. Second, be sure to take a caddie on #2. It’s worth the spend. We had two in our threesome and it was priceless. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I may have jinxed myself - having surgery on torn Achilles.  Hoping we postpone the trip to later this year rather than just having someone fill my spot.  We will see.

Appreciate the advice and will try to implement as much as I can while staying on budget for work.

6 hours ago, juspoole said:

Well I may have jinxed myself - having surgery on torn Achilles.  Hoping we postpone the trip to later this year rather than just having someone fill my spot.  We will see.

Appreciate the advice and will try to implement as much as I can while staying on budget for work.

Well, that sucks. Good luck with the surgery and heal well. Sorry to hear that. 

Take care. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

• 2 weeks later...

That's too bad.  I'm not trying to rub it in, but I go down every year as well and actually, I am heading down Thursday to play.   When you go, I would also recommend playing Tobacco Road for a very unique experience.  It is about 20 min from Pinehurst.  It's like no course you have played before I'm sure.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 2/12/2021 at 12:50 PM, ballplayer002003 said:

That's too bad.  I'm not trying to rub it in, but I go down every year as well and actually, I am heading down Thursday to play.   When you go, I would also recommend playing Tobacco Road for a very unique experience.  It is about 20 min from Pinehurst.  It's like no course you have played before I'm sure.  

I second this recommendation. Tobacco Road is terrific.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Just played Tobacco Road last Wed, and I’ll third the recommendation. I liked it so much I’m going to start another thread.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Pinehurst and I have to say it is a great experience and excellent setup they have there. We played Tobacco Road on Wednesday, No. 4 + Cradle on Thursday, No. 8 + No. 5 on Friday and No. 9 on Saturday and walked all of the courses except No. 8 which I think was additive to the experience. Quickly I will summarize my thoughts as an average golfer:

Tobacco Road was an amazing design feat and I love how dramatic all the holes are. The conditioning was just ok but was more than made up for by playing a course that looks and plays unlike any other course I have been to. Played very, very well there which may have made me like it even more. Loved it!

No. 4 is a very handsome and well conditioned golf course. Had some tough holes but I didn't find it to be overly challenging to play. The wind picked up on the back 9 which made some of the shots a bit more harrowing but this is one of the best all around courses I have ever played. The waste areas frame the holes very well and loved walking this course. 

The Cradle is a blast to play even though you are going to be hitting off of mats. A nice way to wind down the day. 

No. 8 was well conditioned and had some good design variety but I thought it was far and away the most difficult course we played. Shots just get repelled constantly by the greens and there was a brutal stretch on the back that just nuked everyone's scores. To a man we didn't have a ton of fun out there. For players that like to be "tested", repeatedly, this is a good challenge but I don't think I ever need to see that course again. 

No. 5 is a bit scruffy around the edges but very playable with wide corridors and fairly flat greens. I would play it in the afternoon after playing one of the "big courses" in the morning. Reminded me a bit of a municipal golf course (in a good way) and I think I would play that course over No. 8 probably any day of the week. Could use a bit of a facelift which I noticed on the new 18th hole they built on No. 5 looked much better than the rest of the other holes. But still a very fun course to play.

No. 9 classy golf course with a lot of the familiar Nicklaus trappings but we all enjoyed it. The greens were not bermuda so we felt like we got the best rolls out there versus some of the grainier other Pinehurst courses. A lot of tiered greens which we would play differently the second time around. Some challenging holes but not nearly as difficult as No. 8. 

TLDR - No. 8 is very hard, No. 4 and No. 9 are challenging within reason, TR and No. 5 are very playable and laid back. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832