Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2021 Golf Lesson and Improvement - My Journey

I had my first lesson on Wednesday. I was gifted lessons for Christmas because i wanted to get better. On my own I have taken my score from 110+ to mid to low 90's. It was time to get over the hump and find consistency and a better game. So I go down to my local PGA Superstore and sign up to take lessons from a coach i watched from a far for a while and liked his energy and the way he conducted himself. Basically he had good body language so I went with a hunch and took a lesson with him. 

I arrive and he welcomes me, tells me to grab my 7 iron and start warming up. He immediately breaks the ice (unrelated to golf topic) and we start laughing. After watching my first couple balls he looks at me and in a serious tone asks me why do you play? I am thinking to myself... oh hell he is about to tell me my swing is dog s*** and we have a long way to go. I tell him because I like to compete. He replied with that's great but do you play is piss on the ball and send it a mile or do you wanna score? I tell him i want to score and win... i am tired of sucking in my mind and loosing to my buddies. He smiles and comments back your swing is very good. We just have 2-3 small tweaks we need to make. The rest of our work is in your head. 

I could go on about our interaction but to get to the nuts in bolts we talk about my over swing and ball position. I constantly move the ball based on the club. He says unless your a pro, you don't need a different positions per club because that's 14 swings! He simplified everything for me and worked with me to control my swing. He kept telling me to check my ego and hit the distance goal ... not the furthest distance possible. 

Next thing I know he's talking body position and biomechanics for power and consistency and my mind explodes! This guy started talking my language! I do sports med for a living and use to be a strength coach so everything he says i understand with super clarity at that point. We start talking biomechanical alignment and the energy in the sessions skyrockets! I can feel myself getting even ore engaged then before and I can ready his enthusiasm because I'm grasping the science behind it. 

In conclusion, after my first session I have a a couple things im trying to grove over the next week or so before my next session. I am fired up because he was able to relate to my mind so easily, and thought processes I believe he will elevate my game! I hope to keep y'all updated if there is an interest in this process. 

Check the ego at the door and get to work

“Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. “ - Gen Patton

Playing out of  Celina, Tx with a mediocre 92 average.....Coach!

Ping G410 Plus - 10.5* Alta CB 55 Stiff

Callaway Mavriks 4-AW TT-X100

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Taylormade Hit Toe 56* KB-2.0 Hi Rev

Taylormade Spider X Tour - all black

Trophy Hunter RealTree Camo Bag

So I have been working on my coaching points and wanted to share an update! My shot shape has become more predictable and better. My snap pull hook is slowly disappearing as a slight push with a draw has become more prevalent. Still have the wild pull here and there however my last 15 shots today where very tight and solid.  With 7 Iron for example my Distance has decreased from 210 yards with a SD of 22.9 to 185 yards with a SD of 6.7. way more consistent and repeatable distance with much less fatigue.   Additionally my miss 30.1 Yards to the left with a SD of 21.5 down to 1.9 yards to the Right (improved shot shape and trajectory) with a SD of 14.33. Still a lot of room for improvement but the grooving of the new swing has gone well to this point.  

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Sounds like he's got you headed the right direction and did so w/o overloading you with too many changes and swing thoughts.  Everything thumbs up on your data but I'd still love to hit a 7i 210 yards 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Sounds like he's got you headed the right direction and did so w/o overloading you with too many changes and swing thoughts.  Everything thumbs up on your data but I'd still love to hit a 7i 210 yards 🙂.

Don't get me wrong..... I love to piss on a 7i or see the faces when you stripe that 5i 235+ but it was and is super unpredictable. I just can't sustain that violent of a swing for a whole round let alone the stress on my back.  Just checking my ego and learning to swing sustainable. 

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Sounds like you’re on the right track@CoachTut! Swinging less than all out is a great way to improve your accuracy/dispersion. Had the same realization earlier this winter while reviewing my arrcos stats. For you it’s “check your ego at the door and get to work” for me it was “there are no pictures on scorecards” what ever it takes to get you hitting more greens and scoring better!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

• 3 weeks later...

Update! So I haven't been to the range or my indoor range this week due to back spasms. Life it rough, haha. However before my attack of the spasms my distances where starting to come back. My 7 iron was creeping back into the mid-low 190's carry with same swing speed and flight pattern. Watching this new draw flight has been great and my balls landing in a very tight cluster.  I started working in my P and Driver as well. The P has been deadly accurate and has been fantastic. The driver isn't drawing as much as I would like  or at all. However I think it's because of my driver settings and will probably have to get them tweaked with my coach.  

I did take this new swing to the course and wow what a difference. I hit the most fairways I have ever hit in my life! Don't get me wrong my score only improved by 2 shots but  blame that on the fact that I started 7 over par after the first 3 holes *shakes my head*.  I had so much pressure on myself that I crushed the shot out of the tee box  down the middle then duffed the approach and soft chipped around the green short then had to putt.... IT was ugly then I had a run of 1 over par on the next 5 holes... then the booze kicked in and it was down hill. Drawback to playing with the brother in law with the birdie shots rule...  

Overall it was much improvement and am fired up to get back at it and continue to work on the mental part of the game. Learning ways to calm the mind and check the ego. Plus i have to keep myself from swinging too hard so i can keep these spasms away. 

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Sounds like great progress.  I would agree with your comment about tweaking the driver.  If you have a ss getting 190 with a 7i i would think there is a better shaft out there for you than a Alta CB 55 stiff.  Your coach is right, improvements in the mental aspect will save you a bunch of strokes too.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 1 month later...

my handicap has dropped almost 2 strokes.  A lot of my issues are now coming down to course management and my chipping game. Shot consistency has greatly improved. I have almost eliminated my big miss wich is a nasty left hook. now my miss is a slight push that does not draw back. I now average 1.8 putts per hole which is great! it puts me in par contention or bogey more often the not now. Im excited from the improvement! Now i just have to play more to understand how i can best attack the hole

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

• 5 weeks later...

Update..... I dont know what has happened. I have started a new job and haven't been able to practice as much. Suddenly, my drives are longer and straighter! I can miss on the green averaging 1.6 putts per hole. im flirting with sub 90 more than ever now. With last three rounds being 90 91 90. I feel a a big break coming soon! I need to improve my wedge game arround the green now. eliminate the butter knives! Im super excited! 

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

• 1 year later...

I had my first lesson on Wednesday. I was gifted lessons for Christmas because i wanted to get better. On my own I have taken my score from 110+ to mid to low 90's. It was time to get over the hump and find consistency and a better game. So I go down to my local PGA Superstore and sign up to take lessons from a coach i watched from a far for a while and liked his energy and the way he conducted himself. Basically he had good body language so I went with a hunch and took a lesson with him. 

In addition, during the lessons it is fashionable to discuss various information that helps me in my studies. Last week I trained with a professor from my university. We discussed his article about myths and prejudices against the homeless https://icytales.com/5-myths-and-stereotypes-about-homelessness/ In society, the attitude towards those who have lost their homes and live on the street is gradually deteriorating. My professor and colleagues are trying to initiate public discussions in order to somehow change this situation. Therefore, lessons in this school can be not only useful, but also interesting. 

I arrive and he welcomes me, tells me to grab my 7 iron and start warming up. He immediately breaks the ice (unrelated to golf topic) and we start laughing. After watching my first couple balls he looks at me and in a serious tone asks me why do you play? I am thinking to myself... oh hell he is about to tell me my swing is dog s*** and we have a long way to go. I tell him because I like to compete. He replied with that's great but do you play is piss on the ball and send it a mile or do you wanna score? I tell him i want to score and win... i am tired of sucking in my mind and loosing to my buddies. He smiles and comments back your swing is very good. We just have 2-3 small tweaks we need to make. The rest of our work is in your head. 

I could go on about our interaction but to get to the nuts in bolts we talk about my over swing and ball position. I constantly move the ball based on the club. He says unless your a pro, you don't need a different positions per club because that's 14 swings! He simplified everything for me and worked with me to control my swing. He kept telling me to check my ego and hit the distance goal ... not the furthest distance possible. 

Next thing I know he's talking body position and biomechanics for power and consistency and my mind explodes! This guy started talking my language! I do sports med for a living and use to be a strength coach so everything he says i understand with super clarity at that point. We start talking biomechanical alignment and the energy in the sessions skyrockets! I can feel myself getting even ore engaged then before and I can ready his enthusiasm because I'm grasping the science behind it. 

In conclusion, after my first session I have a a couple things im trying to grove over the next week or so before my next session. I am fired up because he was able to relate to my mind so easily, and thought processes I believe he will elevate my game! I hope to keep y'all updated if there is an interest in this process. 

You are furious and, as far as I understand, you are satisfied with such training. You gave me a cool idea that you can give lessons as a birthday present) In my opinion, this would be a cool idea.

Edited by BillyTR

• 3 weeks later...