TESTERS WANTED! ×

To the retirees - did you wait too long?

OnTheGreenInPar

Golf and retirement go together like biscuits and gravy so I’m looking for your input 

I’m reaching a work situation where I have a choice to either dive into a new job or tap out and work on my chipping - the trade offs are obvious - less money vs more time 

Lots weighing on my mind; including watching some of my older friends having to give up the game but also watching my older siblings get nervous about pinching pennies in retirement 

So, I ask the Get Off My Lawn crowd - what say you?

:ping-small: 410 Plus 10.5 

:callaway-small: 2Deep 15*

:callaway-small:Apex CF16 

:vokey-small: 56*

Wishon 4 wood, Nickent 4 hybrid, and a rogue’s gallery of assorted wedges

Only you know your financial status.  We have lots of seniors well into their 80s playing golf every day.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

31 minutes ago, OnTheGreenInPar said:

Golf and retirement go together like biscuits and gravy so I’m looking for your input 

I’m reaching a work situation where I have a choice to either dive into a new job or tap out and work on my chipping - the trade offs are obvious - less money vs more time 

Lots weighing on my mind; including watching some of my older friends having to give up the game but also watching my older siblings get nervous about pinching pennies in retirement 

Only you can decide whether your financial situation and retirement plan works.  But just keep in mind that you don't get (and cannot buy) the years back.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

22 minutes ago, OnTheGreenInPar said:

Sounds like you got options, which is a good thing,

Depends on money, medical, what does work mean to you.  Some people thrive on work, they don't realize it until its gone, then they go crazy.   I don't think that's me, I would be happy chipping.

Other people work longer than they want, and have no time after work is done.  This is sad for these people.

I'd just like to end my working days on my own terms, with a little dignity and respect.

Lots of great thoughts from Forum member here and as many have said a lot depends on your financial position.

In my case, because I had to travel extensively, I retired at 62 -  I always feared dying in a motel room in some far off country. When I retired, I went from 100 miles an hour to 0, given my personality, it drove my wife and myself crazy. After two years I went back to work, commuting every week from Cleveland to Long Island - not an easy gig, however I was happier. This was not a financial issue but one of engagement. If you're healthy and can afford retirement do so but figure out a way to keep mentally and physically engaged. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Thanks for the replies.

addressing a couple things - I’m fully vested for lifetime medical coverage (and so is my wife through her job) - so that double stacked coverage removes a big “what if” that a lot of retirees need to worry about

Regarding money - suffice it to say that I would have more if I worked than if I retire.  I’m a frequent poster of FIRE forums (financial independence) FWIW

I’ve lost 6 friends and colleagues aged 54-56 in the last 3 years 

Just replaced the roof and floors and did a ton of maintenance - that’s a great point

Given my field if I leave I likely won’t be able to get back in. My best financial move is to hang on to my current job if I can. If I retire and have to go back to work it will be at a much much lower salary and position

i will be retiring both from something and to something - I’m confident in my ability to fill my days.  I won’t miss work and I won’t miss 90% of the people or 100% of the issues 

My current contract ends at age 59; the only question is whether I work until 62 or 59; ain’t no way I will make it to 65 

keep those thoughts coming !

11 minutes ago, Siamese Moose said:

I was forced to retire at 42, but I was very lucky. I lost my job when the company had an accounting scandal, and figure this, a high tech company laid off all of the R&D, and hired more accountants. (They've since been sold multiple times, and have gone from dominant world leader to bit player.) My skills were highly valued, but also highly specialized. My only practical opportunities involved a major relocation. My wife's job paid better than mine, she loved it, and it covered my medical, so relocation was not happening. I looked for some local, lesser jobs in my field, but despite interviewers telling me how much they wanted my expertise, and would load all this responsibility on me, the offers were insulting. I ended up working some hobby jobs (homebrew store, a couple breweries where I set up QC labs, even a country club for a couple years) for almost as much money, and found the change totally enjoyable. My wife has since retired (at 53), and we're both busy with unpaid work we do for non-profits. However, I'll freely admit that I have too much downtime, and the pandemic has made life quite boring. I don't play near as much golf as I expected, as my normal partners are still not retired. My league has folded, and those players have drifted away. Most of the other retirees I meet at courses are older (I'm now 61), and they don't want to play with somebody who doesn't play the forward tees. I subbed for a couple of morning leagues, but didn't find a fit I liked (yet). Besides not playing as much, I don't practice as much as I thought I would. My body doesn't hold up to it. 

Long story short, the previous posters have given you all of the practical advice I would have offered. I've told my story as more data for you to have in your decision. Either way, I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide!

somewhat similar situation - my skills are deep but narrow 

I’m lucky in that one of my playing partners just retired and so did my brother, and I’ve also become a regular with a good group of guys at a local cigar lounge many of whom are retired or work flex schedules. I’m also very happy to fish or golf or do solo activities 

thank you for sharing that 

My wife worked for my company starting in 1979 for 8 years then moved to another company for 8 years.  She was a photo "lab rat" and when the digital photo age came along, the company closed the wet lab and she bought all of the equipment and started her own business.  Eventually, she closed the wet part and went totally digital.  She sold her business in September 2019 before COVID-19... very fortunately!!!  The reason was that she turned 65 last month and decided to draw social security, because her family history says "there is no long life".  The average "sell by date" of both sides of her family is 66 years old.  Fortunately, she is the youngest of her siblings and saw all the things not to do!  Now she can spend her non-golf time working on her non-profit; however, that's on hold since COVID -19 has shut down those activities with high school students.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My brother in law was in a situation similar to yours.  He debated retiring at 62 verses 65.  He ended up working to 65.  He talked with the owner of the company and changes were made to his job to keep him around the extra 3years.  Fewer hours, more vacation time and he got rid of a couple of projects he didn’t like working on.  He took a small cut in salary the last three years.  It worked well for him.  

I have a goal to retire at 55 (god, 24 years from now) if I can so I can still enjoy my kids and be more active. Will see how my company’s stock does to see if that will be plausible. 

as for you, do what makes you happy. Like others said, you don’t get years back and a little less money shouldn’t matter as long as your state of mind is better. Good luck!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I will be turning 62 in June. Due to starting over in life with wife # 2 and having two more children, retirement is not in the near future. My youngest is a senior in high school, so another to get through college. My Dad is 88 and I think I would still run away from him if he was coming after me. He still works one day a week to stay active. So I think health wise I got a while to go. I think one of the key issues is to have a job you like. I get to play a lot of golf for work. I get to travel and make my own schedule being in a Sales role. Sure it's still a job but it has it's bright side too.

Would I like to be retired... I really don't know.  I do know that I will be running out to play the Mega Millions today. It's up to a Billion dollars. Hey if I win I'll buy a golf course and you all can come and play on me. 

Back to reality... What ever you decide you have to be happy. Can you fill the days being retired? Will you miss having a job to go to? Since you are thinking about getting another job then get something you will enjoy. I know a few guys that retired then took a part time job at golf courses. Free golf and additional income to help out. 

Good luck in your decision.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I retired at 65, 9 years ago. We wanted to retire earlier but medical was the problem, a big problem so we hung in there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've worked a year in the last 4 due to being unemployed (ageism). I'm 62 and we're planning to retire in 18 months as my wife will be 65 then. We're moving to Florida then.

My "job" is to sell personal stuff in preparation for this. I play 2-4 times a week. I intend to play 5-7 in retirement.

We have adequate finances.

Retire when you can afford to live the life you want in retirement. Too many wait too long. My wife's co-workers have deemed themselves "slumpers". (I.e. they will die sluped over their desk at work) mainly because they have inadequate retirement savings and/or have no interests beyond work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've been looking at my life during this 3rd lockdown in the UK and wondering what I have achieved and what I want out of life.

My partner and I are very opposite. I'm the saver and she is the spender. I took up contracting work last year with a view that I could work shorter periods with extended time off. She sees that as a chance for me to work all the time for more money wants a bigger house and fancier car etc and makes me feel lazy when I talk about taking a month or so out of work.

I follow the FIRE movement (Financial Independence Retire Early), but my plans for building up savings and investments are soon scuppered.

Its hard to make that big change though when you have been together for 9 years even though you know its not right for you

Clubs.jpg.b0df6f27ceedde9520a039cf9e3b013b.jpg

Currently deciding what shaft to use in blank cells...

I will be turning 62 in June. Due to starting over in life with wife # 2 and having two more children, retirement is not in the near future. My youngest is a senior in high school, so another to get through college. My Dad is 88 and I think I would still run away from him if he was coming after me. He still works one day a week to stay active. So I think health wise I got a while to go. I think one of the key issues is to have a job you like. I get to play a lot of golf for work. I get to travel and make my own schedule being in a Sales role. Sure it's still a job but it has it's bright side too.
Would I like to be retired... I really don't know.  I do know that I will be running out to play the Mega Millions today. It's up to a Billion dollars. Hey if I win I'll buy a golf course and you all can come and play on me. 
Back to reality... What ever you decide you have to be happy. Can you fill the days being retired? Will you miss having a job to go to? Since you are thinking about getting another job then get something you will enjoy. I know a few guys that retired then took a part time job at golf courses. Free golf and additional income to help out. 
Good luck in your decision.

I’m in a similar situation, I just turned 57 but I’m only 3 years into marriage #2 and 2 years into buying a new house so unfortunately retirement isn’t on my radar for awhile. I’ll probably have to work into my 70’s.

If I was financially able I would probably try to work part time for awhile to keep from being bored

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

2 minutes ago, TBT said:

I’m in a similar situation, I just turned 57 but I’m only 3 years into marriage #2 and 2 years into buying a new house so unfortunately retirement isn’t on my radar for awhile. I’ll probably have to work into my 70’s.

If I was financially able I would probably try to work part time for awhile to keep from being bored

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Dam... Someone from Michigan won my Billion Dollars. Guess we are stuck working for a while.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Someone told me work to live and not the other way round. I look around and I see friends of the same age that have had personal tragedies, ill health, partners health issues and decided I wanted to enjoy my retirement when I can. I retired 18 months ago at 58. Mortgage was paid and had no major out goings. I did the rounds with a few Financial Advisors and came to the conclusion that as long as I died before I'm 107 I would be fine. I did a big spreadsheet with some base assumptions on spend and pension growth really for my peace of mind. As I've gone through the last 2 years even with Covid financially I'm ahead of the game. 

When I retired I set myself a target to get my handicap down to 5 before I was 60 from 9. In the old CONGU handicap system this is what is called a Category 1 golfer. Under CONGU I got to 5.5 and with the WHS introduction that got me down to 5.4. 

Prior to COVID I had gone on 3 golf holidays in a year to the Canary Islands. So far so good. 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

1 hour ago, Herts JoaTMoN said:

I've been looking at my life during this 3rd lockdown in the UK and wondering what I have achieved and what I want out of life.

My partner and I are very opposite. I'm the saver and she is the spender. I took up contracting work last year with a view that I could work shorter periods with extended time off. She sees that as a chance for me to work all the time for more money wants a bigger house and fancier car etc and makes me feel lazy when I talk about taking a month or so out of work.

I follow the FIRE movement (Financial Independence Retire Early), but my plans for building up savings and investments are soon scuppered.

Its hard to make that big change though when you have been together for 9 years even though you know its not right for you

Invest in a private pension, you get tax relief on and it will stop you and your partner getting it until you're 55. 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I’ll be 64 this year, people are always asking when I’ll hang it up.  I really don’t know.  I don’t have a plan for what I’ll do day in and day out.  Living in Colorado offers a lot of choices during the summers but that’s not going to help when the weather cools off.  Moving isn’t an option.  The kids and grandkids are local to us, we like that.  Plus we do enjoy being here.

My wife has some medical issues so insurance is a must.  She’s just 62 so unless someone knows how she can get affordable coverage I’ll prolly work until she reaches 65.  

Or maybe the Dems will pass some sort of bill to cover us boomers 🤣  (Edit: just an attempt at humor, no political leans being tossed)

Edited by toehold57

I’m 52, and only made $45k a year until 10 years ago. I have a 17 year old son, 13 year old daughter, and a 9 year old daughter. A financial guy told me that at the current rate college tuition is increasing, it will cost $62,000 a year in-state in 9 years when my youngest is ready to go.

Moral of this story, I will legitimately never be able to retire. I’ll be 71 when I can best expect to have the last one off the “dole”, and will have paid for 3 college educations, and maybe two weddings by then. Heck, I’m just praying that Social Security will exist at that point. I doubt it...

Anyway, all of you who have retired or get to, I’m jealous!!! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I will be vested at my current job on September 1 and will be 63 at that time. I will be able to keep my health coverage at that time, which is the most important thing for us. I plan on retiring at that time and traveling, playing golf and spending time with the 3 grand-kids. Not too worried about getting bored. After going through prostate cancer surgery this past August, I want to stop working as soon as possible. 47 years working  P/T during school and F/T has been enough. I will not look back at all.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

3 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Someone told me work to live and not the other way round. I look around and I see friends of the same age that have had personal tragedies, ill health, partners health issues and decided I wanted to enjoy my retirement when I can. I retired 18 months ago at 58. Mortgage was paid and had no major out goings. I did the rounds with a few Financial Advisors and came to the conclusion that as long as I died before I'm 107 I would be fine. I did a big spreadsheet with some base assumptions on spend and pension growth really for my peace of mind. As I've gone through the last 2 years even with Covid financially I'm ahead of the game. 

When I retired I set myself a target to get my handicap down to 5 before I was 60 from 9. In the old CONGU handicap system this is what is called a Category 1 golfer. Under CONGU I got to 5.5 and with the WHS introduction that got me down to 5.4. 

Prior to COVID I had gone on 3 golf holidays in a year to the Canary Islands. So far so good. 

Ah Scotland - my wife and would retire there tomorrow if they would take us.  Our daughter is a graduand of the Royal Conservatoire in Glasgow and we will be there next spring for her wedding reception. I will waive as I go past West Lothian when I sneak out for a round at the Old Course 

1 hour ago, toehold57 said:

I’ll be 64 this year, people are always asking when I’ll hang it up.  I really don’t know.  I don’t have a plan for what I’ll do day in and day out.  Living in Colorado offers a lot of choices during the summers but that’s not going to help when the weather cools off.  Moving isn’t an option.  The kids and grandkids are local to us, we like that.  Plus we do enjoy being here.

My wife has some medical issues so insurance is a must.  She’s just 62 so unless someone knows how she can get affordable coverage I’ll prolly work until she reaches 65.  

Or maybe the Dems will pass some sort of bill to cover us boomers 🤣

Check out Early Retirement forum lots of good tips on bridging health care until Medicare 

In my case, my wife is 5 yrs older. So, when I retired at 66, she closed her business. We have both been retired for 4 years now and so far, we have not killed each other yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder