TESTERS WANTED! ×

To the retirees - did you wait too long?

OnTheGreenInPar

I am 32 so all I can offer is my thoughts. At times I wish I stayed in the military so I could retire at 40 a short 8 years from now, with that ability to retire early I would have given up 75% of my time if not more with my family.....where I work Now I have time, I make my hours, unlimited vacation (not abused) and make a decent salary....but as for retirement all depends on how my 401k does down the road, time will tell but if I am financially able to give me golf 7 days a week and time with friends and family....

good luck on your decision, I don’t think you can go wrong either way

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

19 hours ago, JDHolmes said:

Retire when you can afford to live the life you want in retirement. Too many wait too long. My wife's co-workers have deemed themselves "slumpers". (I.e. they will die sluped over their desk at work) mainly because they have inadequate retirement savings and/or have no interests beyond work.

How old were the people making this statement? While it’s undoubtedly true for some, others may find much later in life/retirement that they retired too early financially if not otherwise. No one can know if their retirement plan worked until they go poof, hopefully at a ripe old age.

I’ve heard many people who’ve been retired for 1-2 years say I should’ve retired earlier - but they can’t possibly know with 20-30 years to go. Asking people who’ve been retired for 10 years or less isn’t meaningful, even though many of them are quick to say they “waited too long.” And with the market improving for over 12 years it’s easy to be optimistic in hindsight today. Recessions (inevitable) and depressions can change things, and geopolitics as well.

Asking people near the end of their retired lives is WAY more telling...

I’ve been retired for 9 years, so far so good, but I realize I can’t declare victory yet with 20-30 years to go actuarially. The best you can do is compare your plan with historic success rates AND have a plan B, C and D. Retirement planning is an axe, not a scalpel.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I've been reading this thread with interest, without coming to any conclusions.  I'm 65, and have made the decision to taper off working.  I work in a very small office, so I'll spend the next few months training and transitioning, so someone can learn to do the various things I've been doing.  Our investments are healthy, its unlikely we'll have money problems going forward.  We have a tentative destination (Pinehurst or Southern Pines, NC) when both my wife and I are ready to leave the metropolitan DC rat race.  My biggest concern, shared by my wife, is how I will fill up my time when I'm no longer going to the office.  To that end, I'm starting to become more involved with the Rules of Golf, perhaps I'll study to become a course rater and/or rules official.  Certainly I'll play more golf, but I'm certain that 6 or 7 days a week will be more than I want.  Beyond that, who knows.  This transition may be the most significant in my life.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've been looking at my life during this 3rd lockdown in the UK and wondering what I have achieved and what I want out of life.
My partner and I are very opposite. I'm the saver and she is the spender. I took up contracting work last year with a view that I could work shorter periods with extended time off. She sees that as a chance for me to work all the time for more money wants a bigger house and fancier car etc and makes me feel lazy when I talk about taking a month or so out of work.
I follow the FIRE movement (Financial Independence Retire Early), but my plans for building up savings and investments are soon scuppered.
Its hard to make that big change though when you have been together for 9 years even though you know its not right for you

Good luck.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've been reading this thread with interest, without coming to any conclusions.  I'm 65, and have made the decision to taper off working.  I work in a very small office, so I'll spend the next few months training and transitioning, so someone can learn to do the various things I've been doing.  Our investments are healthy, its unlikely we'll have money problems going forward.  We have a tentative destination (Pinehurst or Southern Pines, NC) when both my wife and I are ready to leave the metropolitan DC rat race.  My biggest concern, shared by my wife, is how I will fill up my time when I'm no longer going to the office.  To that end, I'm starting to become more involved with the Rules of Golf, perhaps I'll study to become a course rater and/or rules official.  Certainly I'll play more golf, but I'm certain that 6 or 7 days a week will be more than I want.  Beyond that, who knows.  This transition may be the most significant in my life.

You’ll be surprised on how you’ll fill up your days once you retire. I figured I would need a part time job to fill time but was incorrect. With golf, different clubs and some charity stuff I’m not sure how I fit work in all those years!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Having been retired for several years, I can personally tell you I have no problem filling my days. Besides golf, there are home projects, car projects, projects at my kids houses, etc, etc. the benefit of retirement is that you no longer have to scramble to get any of those things done in a short weekend.

One thing I knew but was less prepared for is: most of my friends were from work. That disconnection made it a bit challenging after I retired but it didn't take long to connect with a bunch of golf buddies.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

20 hours ago, Rickp said:

You’ll be surprised on how you’ll fill up your days once you retire. I figured I would need a part time job to fill time but was incorrect. With golf, different clubs and some charity stuff I’m not sure how I fit work in all those years!

That’s simply not a universal experience that everyone can count on. Like you, some people easily fall into (or plan) an active satisfying retirement to be sure. But some people just don’t - and boredom and depression can result. It’s something every potential retiree needs to think about before pulling the trigger. How?

I’d recommend the Get-A-Life Tree exercise to every pre retire to assess where they may fall. It may reveal a lot, and if it doesn’t you’ve wasted 15-30 minutes on a crucial ready to retire decision.

https://livingafi.com/2015/03/09/building-a-vision-of-life-without-work/#:~:text=My favorite method was created by Ernie Zelinski%2C,Activities lead to interests. Interests lead to passions.

5BB622AB-2237-4EB5-95B9-6AC1BFAEC4EE.jpeg

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

On 1/21/2021 at 10:37 PM, OnTheGreenInPar said:

less money vs more time

Yeah, everyone's situation is different and is unique to them. I would caution you, though, if you're worried about money now then it's possible you may always be worried about money -- which is not the ideal way to retire / to live in retirement...

At the time I retired I actually wanted to work one more year (we moved into a new house...) but decided that I dis-liked my job situation more than I needed that extra income. I will say that during the time that I was working I wish I'd spent some more time on golf and less extra hours in the office...

So you have to decide what's right / best for you in your situation now. Eg.: Is more golf time more important than more income/more savings?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

That’s simply not a universal experience that everyone can expect. Like you, some people easily fall into (or plan) an active satisfying retirement to be sure. But some people just don’t - and boredom and depression can result. It’s something every potential retiree needs to think about before pulling the trigger. How?
I’d recommend the Get-A-Life Tree exercise to every pre retire to assess where they may fall. It may reveal a lot, and if it doesn’t you’ve wasted 15-30 minutes on a crucial ready to retire decision.
https://livingafi.com/2015/03/09/building-a-vision-of-life-without-work/#:~:text=My favorite method was created by Ernie Zelinski%2C,Activities lead to interests. Interests lead to passions.
5BB622AB-2237-4EB5-95B9-6AC1BFAEC4EE.jpeg.510613e251544bb68d884f5fa09a05aa.jpeg

True that. I’ve seen a number of guys who don’t know what to do with themselves when they got here. There is so much to do here you almost have to force yourself to slow down.
Of course Covid slowed us all down.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Dam... Someone from Michigan won my Billion Dollars. Guess we are stuck working for a while.

How dare they!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 3 weeks later...

I am 60 and feel fortunate to have been retired for several years. Living in Southern California, I am usually able to weather wise and try and play 2-3 times a week. Have played around 75 different courses and around 150 rounds per year if you take my 2018-2020 stats and average them.

There are few courses within 50 miles of anywhere I have lived in my adult life that I have not played at some point. Am now consciously trying to work in more high end destination type courses while I can still swing somewhat decently. While I hope I'm still around and playing in my 80's, I want to play some of the nicer courses while I'm still playing the Blues and hitting an 8 iron from 150, not a 5W. 

I would have thought when I was younger that I would have wanted to play golf consistently about 5 days a week if I was able. However, in my case that has not proven accurate. I'll go through stretches where I'll play a bunch of days in a row, sometimes 2-3 regulation 18 hole rounds in a day. If the weather is nice, I have the time and feel like it, I usually play. If one is missing, I don't. I may take a few days to even a few weeks off, then I'm ready to play a bunch again. But it usually averages out to around a dozen rounds per month. 

Irons: Ping Rapture, Stand length, stiff shaft, black dot

Driver: Taylor Made M2, 9.5 degree stiff shaft

Right handed

Rancho Mirage, CA

Current index 9.6

There is the theory that there are 3 phases to retirement years and later life -- Go-Go / Slow-Go / No-Go.  Health will be the greatest determinant as to what ages those phases are for any particular person.

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TSi2 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Raw Blue 55 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V3

On 1/21/2021 at 9:37 PM, OnTheGreenInPar said:

Golf and retirement go together like biscuits and gravy so I’m looking for your input 

I’m reaching a work situation where I have a choice to either dive into a new job or tap out and work on my chipping - the trade offs are obvious - less money vs more time 

Lots weighing on my mind; including watching some of my older friends having to give up the game but also watching my older siblings get nervous about pinching pennies in retirement 

So, I ask the Get Off My Lawn crowd - what say you?

This is a very personal question.  Not so much that I don't think many will share, but in that everyone has a different idea of how much money they will need in retirement.

For me, I'm 44.5 and I have my sights set on retiring at 57, maybe.  I retired from the AF in 2015 so I have the military retirement and my VA disability.  At 57, I'll get a reduced retirement from my federal job and I'll likely take it.  If I can get my TSP and other investments up to the amount I want them to be at by then, it's a foregone conclusion.

I want plenty of years to spend with the mrs traveling and seeing the world (and the U.S.).  With her being nearly 3 years older than me, I think that's gonna be the plan.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

5 hours ago, seeking70's said:

This is a very personal question.  Not so much that I don't think many will share, but in that everyone has a different idea of how much money they will need in retirement.

For me, I'm 44.5 and I have my sights set on retiring at 57, maybe.  I retired from the AF in 2015 so I have the military retirement and my VA disability.  At 57, I'll get a reduced retirement from my federal job and I'll likely take it.  If I can get my TSP and other investments up to the amount I want them to be at by then, it's a foregone conclusion.

I want plenty of years to spend with the mrs traveling and seeing the world (and the U.S.).  With her being nearly 3 years older than me, I think that's gonna be the plan.

I am retiring at 60 from my federal job, I will have 21 and half, did you know that if your retire at 60 with 20 years (FERS) your eligible for what they call Federal Social Security Supplement, you basically get 40% of your at 62 SS money. When you turn 62, you start getting the full amount

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

21 hours ago, MadMex said:

I am retiring at 60 from my federal job, I will have 21 and half, did you know that if your retire at 60 with 20 years (FERS) your eligible for what they call Federal Social Security Supplement, you basically get 40% of your at 62 SS money. When you turn 62, you start getting the full amount

I'll be pleasantly surprised if SS isn't bankrupt when I get that age.  I'm hoping to make it with my military retirement, disability, fed civ pension, and wife's fed civ pension along with our 3 TSP accounts.  I figure if we can get the total TSP balance between the 3 accounts to $1M by the time we both pull the plug we'll be fine.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

One of the things I coached my kids on is to save early for retirement and watch the miracle of compounding take effect. Fortunately today they're living that lesson and they should be comfortable when they reach that age.  Wish my parents taught me that - but on the other hand they were from a generation where one was told the "company" will take care of you if you stay there til retirement.    

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

13 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

One of the things I coached my kids on is to save early for retirement and watch the miracle of compounding take effect. 

My father died when I was only 17, but I had been working a number of part time jobs before then. From the very beginning, he made me put 10% of every pay check into long term savings. When I started full time I managed to beat that most of the time. I didn't meet my wife for another decade, but she was doing the same thing. That's the biggest reason I was able to retire in my 40's and my wife at 53. Even now, forget the rule of 4%. We're living on less than 1% of our investments.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

My father died when I was only 17, but I had been working a number of part time jobs before then. From the very beginning, he made me put 10% of every pay check into long term savings. When I started full time I managed to beat that most of the time. I didn't meet my wife for another decade, but she was doing the same thing. That's the biggest reason I was able to retire in my 40's and my wife at 53. Even now, forget the rule of 4%. We're living on less than 1% of our investments.

Guys are doing it right.
My daughter retired at 46 but mostly due to State/Union politics. She wanted to work7 more years.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I retired at 55 and have loved every day of it!  I'm now 70 and in better shape (excluding my joints - no I don't smoke em) than most my age.  Life is short so retire when you can afford to and enjoy the remaining years. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On 2/16/2021 at 10:12 PM, seeking70's said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if SS isn't bankrupt when I get that age.

I didn’t plan on Soc Sec even though I assume I’ll get something from the program like 70%? “They” probably won’t reduce benefits, but they’ll tax them (much) more aggressively - we can’t afford to keep Soc Sec as is. It’s not fair to just withhold more and more from current workers, especially since they probably won’t have comparable benefits when they’re at FRA. Medicare is an even bigger solvency issue. YMMV

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

On 2/17/2021 at 7:44 AM, Siamese Moose said:

Oh, how I wish I'd put away even 5% of everything I ever made.  I didn't start my first retirement account until I was ~26 or so.  Even then, it wasn't enough.  I'm putting away 20% of my base pay right now, plus a little more along the way.

Thankfully, my oldest is on the right track.  He's Navy and putting 35% of his base pay into his TSP.  I doubt it'll stay that high forever, but it's great that he's getting a jump on it.  He's not even 20 yet and he's far better off than I was at that age.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

I'm 68 and I don't know if I'll ever fully retire. I'm in sales and I love my job. No one tells me when to work and I basically go out and visit my buddies and they buy stuff. I make good money (never be rich) take days off when I want, play golf when I want. I can't ask for more than that. 

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

13 minutes ago, braincramp said:

I'm 68 and I don't know if I'll ever fully retire. I'm in sales and I love my job. No one tells me when to work and I basically go out and visit my buddies and they buy stuff. I make good money (never be rich) take days off when I want, play golf when I want. I can't ask for more than that. 

I'm sure I said it in an earlier post but FI (financial independence) and retirement should be separate goals. No one should give up a career they enjoy just because they're financially able. If you're truly tired of your job, have better things to do (that's important), and you're financially able - then retirement is a serious consideration.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1