To the retirees - did you wait too long?

Our Sponsors

I will be turning 62 in June. Due to starting over in life with wife # 2 and having two more children, retirement is not in the near future. My youngest is a senior in high school, so another to get through college. My Dad is 88 and I think I would still run away from him if he was coming after me. He still works one day a week to stay active. So I think health wise I got a while to go. I think one of the key issues is to have a job you like. I get to play a lot of golf for work. I get to travel and make my own schedule being in a Sales role. Sure it's still a job but it has it's bright side too.
Would I like to be retired... I really don't know.  I do know that I will be running out to play the Mega Millions today. It's up to a Billion dollars. Hey if I win I'll buy a golf course and you all can come and play on me. 
Back to reality... What ever you decide you have to be happy. Can you fill the days being retired? Will you miss having a job to go to? Since you are thinking about getting another job then get something you will enjoy. I know a few guys that retired then took a part time job at golf courses. Free golf and additional income to help out. 
Good luck in your decision.

I’m in a similar situation, I just turned 57 but I’m only 3 years into marriage #2 and 2 years into buying a new house so unfortunately retirement isn’t on my radar for awhile. I’ll probably have to work into my 70’s.

If I was financially able I would probably try to work part time for awhile to keep from being bored

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

About 5 years ago I “knew” I was going to wait until I was 62 to retire (was 55 then) then my wife heard about a co-worker who passed away , he was still working because he said he could not afford to

I can't wait until retirement (i'm only 36 😂).

It depends on your financial situation, and everyone and every job is different, so it's hard to say.  I stayed on at my company until I was 68. Years earlier, I told my wife that I was now "semi-reti

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TBT said:

I’m in a similar situation, I just turned 57 but I’m only 3 years into marriage #2 and 2 years into buying a new house so unfortunately retirement isn’t on my radar for awhile. I’ll probably have to work into my 70’s.

If I was financially able I would probably try to work part time for awhile to keep from being bored

Dam... Someone from Michigan won my Billion Dollars. Guess we are stuck working for a while.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Someone told me work to live and not the other way round. I look around and I see friends of the same age that have had personal tragedies, ill health, partners health issues and decided I wanted to enjoy my retirement when I can. I retired 18 months ago at 58. Mortgage was paid and had no major out goings. I did the rounds with a few Financial Advisors and came to the conclusion that as long as I died before I'm 107 I would be fine. I did a big spreadsheet with some base assumptions on spend and pension growth really for my peace of mind. As I've gone through the last 2 years even with Covid financially I'm ahead of the game. 

When I retired I set myself a target to get my handicap down to 5 before I was 60 from 9. In the old CONGU handicap system this is what is called a Category 1 golfer. Under CONGU I got to 5.5 and with the WHS introduction that got me down to 5.4. 

Prior to COVID I had gone on 3 golf holidays in a year to the Canary Islands. So far so good. 

• Like 8

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

1 hour ago, Herts JoaTMoN said:

I've been looking at my life during this 3rd lockdown in the UK and wondering what I have achieved and what I want out of life.

My partner and I are very opposite. I'm the saver and she is the spender. I took up contracting work last year with a view that I could work shorter periods with extended time off. She sees that as a chance for me to work all the time for more money wants a bigger house and fancier car etc and makes me feel lazy when I talk about taking a month or so out of work.

I follow the FIRE movement (Financial Independence Retire Early), but my plans for building up savings and investments are soon scuppered.

Its hard to make that big change though when you have been together for 9 years even though you know its not right for you

Invest in a private pension, you get tax relief on and it will stop you and your partner getting it until you're 55. 

• Like 5

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I’ll be 64 this year, people are always asking when I’ll hang it up.  I really don’t know.  I don’t have a plan for what I’ll do day in and day out.  Living in Colorado offers a lot of choices during the summers but that’s not going to help when the weather cools off.  Moving isn’t an option.  The kids and grandkids are local to us, we like that.  Plus we do enjoy being here.

My wife has some medical issues so insurance is a must.  She’s just 62 so unless someone knows how she can get affordable coverage I’ll prolly work until she reaches 65.  

Or maybe the Dems will pass some sort of bill to cover us boomers 🤣  (Edit: just an attempt at humor, no political leans being tossed)

Edited by toehold57
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

I’m 52, and only made $45k a year until 10 years ago. I have a 17 year old son, 13 year old daughter, and a 9 year old daughter. A financial guy told me that at the current rate college tuition is increasing, it will cost $62,000 a year in-state in 9 years when my youngest is ready to go.

Moral of this story, I will legitimately never be able to retire. I’ll be 71 when I can best expect to have the last one off the “dole”, and will have paid for 3 college educations, and maybe two weddings by then. Heck, I’m just praying that Social Security will exist at that point. I doubt it...

Anyway, all of you who have retired or get to, I’m jealous!!! 

• Like 6

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I will be vested at my current job on September 1 and will be 63 at that time. I will be able to keep my health coverage at that time, which is the most important thing for us. I plan on retiring at that time and traveling, playing golf and spending time with the 3 grand-kids. Not too worried about getting bored. After going through prostate cancer surgery this past August, I want to stop working as soon as possible. 47 years working  P/T during school and F/T has been enough. I will not look back at all.

• Like 7

Driver: TaylorMade M5 Tour - 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max - 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Stiff
3 Wood: TaylorMade M3 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid:  TaylorMade M6 - 19*,   Fujikura Atmos 5 Stiff
Irons: Titleist 4 - 6 T200,Titleist 7 - PW T100S, Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts             
Putter:  Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 X

3 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Someone told me work to live and not the other way round. I look around and I see friends of the same age that have had personal tragedies, ill health, partners health issues and decided I wanted to enjoy my retirement when I can. I retired 18 months ago at 58. Mortgage was paid and had no major out goings. I did the rounds with a few Financial Advisors and came to the conclusion that as long as I died before I'm 107 I would be fine. I did a big spreadsheet with some base assumptions on spend and pension growth really for my peace of mind. As I've gone through the last 2 years even with Covid financially I'm ahead of the game. 

When I retired I set myself a target to get my handicap down to 5 before I was 60 from 9. In the old CONGU handicap system this is what is called a Category 1 golfer. Under CONGU I got to 5.5 and with the WHS introduction that got me down to 5.4. 

Prior to COVID I had gone on 3 golf holidays in a year to the Canary Islands. So far so good. 

Ah Scotland - my wife and would retire there tomorrow if they would take us.  Our daughter is a graduand of the Royal Conservatoire in Glasgow and we will be there next spring for her wedding reception. I will waive as I go past West Lothian when I sneak out for a round at the Old Course 

• Like 5

:ping-small: 410 Plus 10.5 

:callaway-small: 2Deep 15*

:callaway-small:Apex CF16 

:vokey-small: 56*

Wishon 4 wood, Nickent 4 hybrid, and a rogue’s gallery of assorted wedges

1 hour ago, toehold57 said:

I’ll be 64 this year, people are always asking when I’ll hang it up.  I really don’t know.  I don’t have a plan for what I’ll do day in and day out.  Living in Colorado offers a lot of choices during the summers but that’s not going to help when the weather cools off.  Moving isn’t an option.  The kids and grandkids are local to us, we like that.  Plus we do enjoy being here.

My wife has some medical issues so insurance is a must.  She’s just 62 so unless someone knows how she can get affordable coverage I’ll prolly work until she reaches 65.  

Or maybe the Dems will pass some sort of bill to cover us boomers 🤣

Check out Early Retirement forum lots of good tips on bridging health care until Medicare 

• Like 3

:ping-small: 410 Plus 10.5 

:callaway-small: 2Deep 15*

:callaway-small:Apex CF16 

:vokey-small: 56*

Wishon 4 wood, Nickent 4 hybrid, and a rogue’s gallery of assorted wedges

In my case, my wife is 5 yrs older. So, when I retired at 66, she closed her business. We have both been retired for 4 years now and so far, we have not killed each other yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I am 32 so all I can offer is my thoughts. At times I wish I stayed in the military so I could retire at 40 a short 8 years from now, with that ability to retire early I would have given up 75% of my time if not more with my family.....where I work Now I have time, I make my hours, unlimited vacation (not abused) and make a decent salary....but as for retirement all depends on how my 401k does down the road, time will tell but if I am financially able to give me golf 7 days a week and time with friends and family....

good luck on your decision, I don’t think you can go wrong either way

• Like 5

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue 6.5

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

19 hours ago, JDHolmes said:

Retire when you can afford to live the life you want in retirement. Too many wait too long. My wife's co-workers have deemed themselves "slumpers". (I.e. they will die sluped over their desk at work) mainly because they have inadequate retirement savings and/or have no interests beyond work.

How old were the people making this statement? While it’s undoubtedly true for some, others may find much later in life/retirement that they retired too early financially if not otherwise. No one can know if their retirement plan worked until they go poof, hopefully at a ripe old age.

I’ve heard many people who’ve been retired for 1-2 years say I should’ve retired earlier - but they can’t possibly know with 20-30 years to go. Asking people who’ve been retired for 10 years or less isn’t meaningful, even though many of them are quick to say they “waited too long.” And with the market improving for over 12 years it’s easy to be optimistic in hindsight today. Recessions (inevitable) and depressions can change things, and geopolitics as well.

Asking people near the end of their retired lives is WAY more telling...

I’ve been retired for 9 years, so far so good, but I realize I can’t declare victory yet with 20-30 years to go actuarially. The best you can do is compare your plan with historic success rates AND have a plan B, C and D. Retirement planning is an axe, not a scalpel.

• Like 8
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black

I've been reading this thread with interest, without coming to any conclusions.  I'm 65, and have made the decision to taper off working.  I work in a very small office, so I'll spend the next few months training and transitioning, so someone can learn to do the various things I've been doing.  Our investments are healthy, its unlikely we'll have money problems going forward.  We have a tentative destination (Pinehurst or Southern Pines, NC) when both my wife and I are ready to leave the metropolitan DC rat race.  My biggest concern, shared by my wife, is how I will fill up my time when I'm no longer going to the office.  To that end, I'm starting to become more involved with the Rules of Golf, perhaps I'll study to become a course rater and/or rules official.  Certainly I'll play more golf, but I'm certain that 6 or 7 days a week will be more than I want.  Beyond that, who knows.  This transition may be the most significant in my life.

• Like 9

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've been looking at my life during this 3rd lockdown in the UK and wondering what I have achieved and what I want out of life.
My partner and I are very opposite. I'm the saver and she is the spender. I took up contracting work last year with a view that I could work shorter periods with extended time off. She sees that as a chance for me to work all the time for more money wants a bigger house and fancier car etc and makes me feel lazy when I talk about taking a month or so out of work.
I follow the FIRE movement (Financial Independence Retire Early), but my plans for building up savings and investments are soon scuppered.
Its hard to make that big change though when you have been together for 9 years even though you know its not right for you

Good luck.....

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've been reading this thread with interest, without coming to any conclusions.  I'm 65, and have made the decision to taper off working.  I work in a very small office, so I'll spend the next few months training and transitioning, so someone can learn to do the various things I've been doing.  Our investments are healthy, its unlikely we'll have money problems going forward.  We have a tentative destination (Pinehurst or Southern Pines, NC) when both my wife and I are ready to leave the metropolitan DC rat race.  My biggest concern, shared by my wife, is how I will fill up my time when I'm no longer going to the office.  To that end, I'm starting to become more involved with the Rules of Golf, perhaps I'll study to become a course rater and/or rules official.  Certainly I'll play more golf, but I'm certain that 6 or 7 days a week will be more than I want.  Beyond that, who knows.  This transition may be the most significant in my life.

You’ll be surprised on how you’ll fill up your days once you retire. I figured I would need a part time job to fill time but was incorrect. With golf, different clubs and some charity stuff I’m not sure how I fit work in all those years!

• Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Having been retired for several years, I can personally tell you I have no problem filling my days. Besides golf, there are home projects, car projects, projects at my kids houses, etc, etc. the benefit of retirement is that you no longer have to scramble to get any of those things done in a short weekend.

One thing I knew but was less prepared for is: most of my friends were from work. That disconnection made it a bit challenging after I retired but it didn't take long to connect with a bunch of golf buddies.

• Like 6

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

20 hours ago, Rickp said:

You’ll be surprised on how you’ll fill up your days once you retire. I figured I would need a part time job to fill time but was incorrect. With golf, different clubs and some charity stuff I’m not sure how I fit work in all those years!

That’s simply not a universal experience that everyone can count on. Like you, some people easily fall into (or plan) an active satisfying retirement to be sure. But some people just don’t - and boredom and depression can result. It’s something every potential retiree needs to think about before pulling the trigger. How?

I’d recommend the Get-A-Life Tree exercise to every pre retire to assess where they may fall. It may reveal a lot, and if it doesn’t you’ve wasted 15-30 minutes on a crucial ready to retire decision.

https://livingafi.com/2015/03/09/building-a-vision-of-life-without-work/#:~:text=My favorite method was created by Ernie Zelinski%2C,Activities lead to interests. Interests lead to passions.

5BB622AB-2237-4EB5-95B9-6AC1BFAEC4EE.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
On 1/21/2021 at 10:37 PM, OnTheGreenInPar said:

less money vs more time

Yeah, everyone's situation is different and is unique to them. I would caution you, though, if you're worried about money now then it's possible you may always be worried about money -- which is not the ideal way to retire / to live in retirement...

At the time I retired I actually wanted to work one more year (we moved into a new house...) but decided that I dis-liked my job situation more than I needed that extra income. I will say that during the time that I was working I wish I'd spent some more time on golf and less extra hours in the office...

So you have to decide what's right / best for you in your situation now. Eg.: Is more golf time more important than more income/more savings?

• Like 3

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

That’s simply not a universal experience that everyone can expect. Like you, some people easily fall into (or plan) an active satisfying retirement to be sure. But some people just don’t - and boredom and depression can result. It’s something every potential retiree needs to think about before pulling the trigger. How?
I’d recommend the Get-A-Life Tree exercise to every pre retire to assess where they may fall. It may reveal a lot, and if it doesn’t you’ve wasted 15-30 minutes on a crucial ready to retire decision.
https://livingafi.com/2015/03/09/building-a-vision-of-life-without-work/#:~:text=My favorite method was created by Ernie Zelinski%2C,Activities lead to interests. Interests lead to passions.
5BB622AB-2237-4EB5-95B9-6AC1BFAEC4EE.jpeg.510613e251544bb68d884f5fa09a05aa.jpeg

True that. I’ve seen a number of guys who don’t know what to do with themselves when they got here. There is so much to do here you almost have to force yourself to slow down.
Of course Covid slowed us all down.

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Dam... Someone from Michigan won my Billion Dollars. Guess we are stuck working for a while.

How dare they!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip