To the retirees - did you wait too long?

I am 60 and feel fortunate to have been retired for several years. Living in Southern California, I am usually able to weather wise and try and play 2-3 times a week. Have played around 75 different courses and around 150 rounds per year if you take my 2018-2020 stats and average them.

There are few courses within 50 miles of anywhere I have lived in my adult life that I have not played at some point. Am now consciously trying to work in more high end destination type courses while I can still swing somewhat decently. While I hope I'm still around and playing in my 80's, I want to play some of the nicer courses while I'm still playing the Blues and hitting an 8 iron from 150, not a 5W. 

I would have thought when I was younger that I would have wanted to play golf consistently about 5 days a week if I was able. However, in my case that has not proven accurate. I'll go through stretches where I'll play a bunch of days in a row, sometimes 2-3 regulation 18 hole rounds in a day. If the weather is nice, I have the time and feel like it, I usually play. If one is missing, I don't. I may take a few days to even a few weeks off, then I'm ready to play a bunch again. But it usually averages out to around a dozen rounds per month. 

• Like 2

Irons: Ping Rapture, Stand length, stiff shaft, black dot

Driver: Taylor Made M2, 9.5 degree stiff shaft

Right handed

Rancho Mirage, CA

Current index 9.6

There is the theory that there are 3 phases to retirement years and later life -- Go-Go / Slow-Go / No-Go.  Health will be the greatest determinant as to what ages those phases are for any particular person.

• Like 3

I'm decidedly brand agnostic --  datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL:

:ping-small: - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

Tracked by Shot Scope V2

On 1/21/2021 at 9:37 PM, OnTheGreenInPar said:

Golf and retirement go together like biscuits and gravy so I’m looking for your input 

I’m reaching a work situation where I have a choice to either dive into a new job or tap out and work on my chipping - the trade offs are obvious - less money vs more time 

Lots weighing on my mind; including watching some of my older friends having to give up the game but also watching my older siblings get nervous about pinching pennies in retirement 

So, I ask the Get Off My Lawn crowd - what say you?

This is a very personal question.  Not so much that I don't think many will share, but in that everyone has a different idea of how much money they will need in retirement.

For me, I'm 44.5 and I have my sights set on retiring at 57, maybe.  I retired from the AF in 2015 so I have the military retirement and my VA disability.  At 57, I'll get a reduced retirement from my federal job and I'll likely take it.  If I can get my TSP and other investments up to the amount I want them to be at by then, it's a foregone conclusion.

I want plenty of years to spend with the mrs traveling and seeing the world (and the U.S.).  With her being nearly 3 years older than me, I think that's gonna be the plan.

• Like 5

:taylormade-small:M5 9° w/ UST Mamiya PFv2 6F4 @ 45"

:callaway-small:Epic Flash SZ 3wd w/ HZRDUS Green 70g, 6.5 @ 42.75"

:callaway-small:Epic Flash SZ 5wd w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.5 @ 42.25"

:callaway-small:Epic Flash 7wd & 9wd w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.5 @ 41.75" & 41"

:srixon-small:Z585 6-7, Z785 8-GW w/ TT AMT White S300@ 37.75" (6i)

:cleveland-small:RTX4 54/10 & 58/3 w/ DGold S400 @ 36"

:odyssey-small:SL EXO Marxman w/ Superstroke Flatso 3.0 @ 33"

On Deck:

:cleveland-small:RTX4 58/9 w/ Nippon Tour 125 Stiff @ 35.75"

5 hours ago, seeking70's said:

This is a very personal question.  Not so much that I don't think many will share, but in that everyone has a different idea of how much money they will need in retirement.

For me, I'm 44.5 and I have my sights set on retiring at 57, maybe.  I retired from the AF in 2015 so I have the military retirement and my VA disability.  At 57, I'll get a reduced retirement from my federal job and I'll likely take it.  If I can get my TSP and other investments up to the amount I want them to be at by then, it's a foregone conclusion.

I want plenty of years to spend with the mrs traveling and seeing the world (and the U.S.).  With her being nearly 3 years older than me, I think that's gonna be the plan.

I am retiring at 60 from my federal job, I will have 21 and half, did you know that if your retire at 60 with 20 years (FERS) your eligible for what they call Federal Social Security Supplement, you basically get 40% of your at 62 SS money. When you turn 62, you start getting the full amount

• Like 3

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

21 hours ago, MadMex said:

I am retiring at 60 from my federal job, I will have 21 and half, did you know that if your retire at 60 with 20 years (FERS) your eligible for what they call Federal Social Security Supplement, you basically get 40% of your at 62 SS money. When you turn 62, you start getting the full amount

I'll be pleasantly surprised if SS isn't bankrupt when I get that age.  I'm hoping to make it with my military retirement, disability, fed civ pension, and wife's fed civ pension along with our 3 TSP accounts.  I figure if we can get the total TSP balance between the 3 accounts to $1M by the time we both pull the plug we'll be fine.

• Like 4

On Deck:

One of the things I coached my kids on is to save early for retirement and watch the miracle of compounding take effect. Fortunately today they're living that lesson and they should be comfortable when they reach that age.  Wish my parents taught me that - but on the other hand they were from a generation where one was told the "company" will take care of you if you stay there til retirement.    

• Like 4

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

13 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

One of the things I coached my kids on is to save early for retirement and watch the miracle of compounding take effect. 

My father died when I was only 17, but I had been working a number of part time jobs before then. From the very beginning, he made me put 10% of every pay check into long term savings. When I started full time I managed to beat that most of the time. I didn't meet my wife for another decade, but she was doing the same thing. That's the biggest reason I was able to retire in my 40's and my wife at 53. Even now, forget the rule of 4%. We're living on less than 1% of our investments.

• Like 6

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

My father died when I was only 17, but I had been working a number of part time jobs before then. From the very beginning, he made me put 10% of every pay check into long term savings. When I started full time I managed to beat that most of the time. I didn't meet my wife for another decade, but she was doing the same thing. That's the biggest reason I was able to retire in my 40's and my wife at 53. Even now, forget the rule of 4%. We're living on less than 1% of our investments.

Guys are doing it right.
My daughter retired at 46 but mostly due to State/Union politics. She wanted to work7 more years.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I retired at 55 and have loved every day of it!  I'm now 70 and in better shape (excluding my joints - no I don't smoke em) than most my age.  Life is short so retire when you can afford to and enjoy the remaining years. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 ODYSSEY ARM-LOCK 2-BALL TEN 

On 2/16/2021 at 10:12 PM, seeking70's said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if SS isn't bankrupt when I get that age.

I didn’t plan on Soc Sec even though I assume I’ll get something from the program like 70%? “They” probably won’t reduce benefits, but they’ll tax them (much) more aggressively - we can’t afford to keep Soc Sec as is. It’s not fair to just withhold more and more from current workers, especially since they probably won’t have comparable benefits when they’re at FRA. Medicare is an even bigger solvency issue. YMMV

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

On 2/17/2021 at 7:44 AM, Siamese Moose said:

Oh, how I wish I'd put away even 5% of everything I ever made.  I didn't start my first retirement account until I was ~26 or so.  Even then, it wasn't enough.  I'm putting away 20% of my base pay right now, plus a little more along the way.

Thankfully, my oldest is on the right track.  He's Navy and putting 35% of his base pay into his TSP.  I doubt it'll stay that high forever, but it's great that he's getting a jump on it.  He's not even 20 yet and he's far better off than I was at that age.

• Like 3

On Deck:

I'm 68 and I don't know if I'll ever fully retire. I'm in sales and I love my job. No one tells me when to work and I basically go out and visit my buddies and they buy stuff. I make good money (never be rich) take days off when I want, play golf when I want. I can't ask for more than that. 

Ping G410, 10.5 5.5 Evenflow , Ping G425 5 wood/ Ping Anser 20 degree hybrid/ Srixon ZX5, 5-PW/ Ping Glide 50,54, & 58ES/ Bettinardi Queen B

13 minutes ago, braincramp said:

I'm 68 and I don't know if I'll ever fully retire. I'm in sales and I love my job. No one tells me when to work and I basically go out and visit my buddies and they buy stuff. I make good money (never be rich) take days off when I want, play golf when I want. I can't ask for more than that. 

I'm sure I said it in an earlier post but FI (financial independence) and retirement should be separate goals. No one should give up a career they enjoy just because they're financially able. If you're truly tired of your job, have better things to do (that's important), and you're financially able - then retirement is a serious consideration.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT