TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is the 3 Wood dead?

I am finding myself using my 3W less and less each round and my hybrid more and more. I am a high handicapper so maybe I just haven't mastered my 3W, but I feel a lot more confident using my hybrid off the deck than my 3W. 

Is anyone else going through the same situation? Or if you are a more skilled golfer using long irons instead? 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

I have never been able to hit fairway woods well, which is a point of frustration.  So, I don't have a 3-wood at all.  I do have a SIM 5-wood (the V steel one) that I lofted down to 17* to act as a 4-wood.  It is a very nice club and I hit it decent.  However, I have much more confidence in either a 2 or 3 iron.  So, my shots with a fairway good are less and less it seems.  I could easily eliminate it from my bag a probably not notice too much of a scoring difference.  For me, when I know I can hit a long iron well, I am reluctant to take on the risk of using a fairway wood.  I struggle with hybrids as well.  I am a long iron dude it would seem.

Shoot 'em straight

@Nateyeight is your 3 wood adjustable? Adding a little more loft can help, IMO.
I didn’t like my 3 wood until I was without a driver for awhile and was forced to use it. Can you hit it well off a tee?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I love my 3 wood! Use it off the tee on about 3 holes and on 3 par fives.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Most high handicappers/slower swingers should be gaming 4woods or 5Woods instead. They simply don’t have the club head speed to elevate a 3w, especially off the deck. Give that player a 4 wood or 5 wood and watch them carry it further than any 3 wood they’ve tried to hit. 

2 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

I am finding myself using my 3W less and less each round and my hybrid more and more. I am a high handicapper so maybe I just haven't mastered my 3W, but I feel a lot more confident using my hybrid off the deck than my 3W. 

Is anyone else going through the same situation? Or if you are a more skilled golfer using long irons instead? 

I don't game a 3w lately. However, it is for a different reason than not hitting it will. My reason is hitting it too well. The gap from my driver to 3w was only 10-15 yards. 

I do go Driver - 5w - 4H - 4i...

I love my 5w. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

The M2 3HL has been money, however my new to me Mavrik Max 5 wood is so easy to hit and land that the M2 might be seeing the for sale

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

At one point my 3w was one of my best clubs but last year I just couldn’t control it.. it was an old TM burner .. my brother actually used it this summer and did well with it .... so switch to the cobra f9 5wood that adj and I love it .. might actually switch to a 4w to get some distance I lost with putting the 3w 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Great Question.  I'm on the fence on this as well.  Last year, I carried a 3 wood for most of the year, but seldom use it.  I don't have quite as big of miss with the 3 wood as I do my driver, but it's honestly so close that I may as well use driver.  I did gather a lot of confidence in my driver last year, so that has to be taken into account.  

Also, for the most part on par 5's, I find myself 200 - 240 range where I am better suited at using anything from a 2 hybrid up to a 5 iron dependent on conditions.  For shorter or tighter Par 4's, I'm more confident with a hybrid or 4 iron by far.  I will say the few times I actually did use 3 wood, it worked out pretty well.  I had one round, where I didn't have driver and I was either on the fairway or 5/10 yards off with no issues.  Had what I would say was my shot of the year with a 3 wood from 260 out on a par 5 around a tree to 8 feet too.  (shoot now I feel like I'm talking myself into it)

I actually have a perfect 3 wood shaft as well, so I find myself always looking for a 3 wood I'd like.  But in all honesty, still not sure how much it would get used.  

The last point that becomes a factor and large difference is that I've never been fit for a 3 wood specifically.  Lastly, I added a hybrid to the bag so I'm full at 14 currently.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

2 hours ago, Herts JoaTMoN said:

It is for me. I'm carrying 2 drivers this year the second of which is 12.5* and 43.5". As I was only using my 3 wood off the tee I figured why not just use a driver for the added forgiveness. Fairway finder!

Lowest loft ill hit off the deck is 17*.

That's what I did as well. But to be fair, I had my 3w lofted up to a 4w and it was very, very consistent off the tee. I'll hit my Heavenwood from the deck, but not the 3/4w. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Hit that hybrid!  If it means more fairways and greens then it doesn't make much of a difference.  The idea that a bag should have certain clubs is tired logic, there's no reason to carry tools you can't use properly.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I don't use my 3 wood off the deck much, but that is a symptom of the courses I play. I do use it off the tee when I need to hit a fairway, or when the hole calls for a shorter shot off the tee. Even if it doesn't get a lot of use every round, I couldn't imagine not carrying it. 

Driver:  Titleist TSR4
3 Wood: Taylormade Stealth Plus
2 Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi
4-GW IronsMIZUNO PRO 225
Wedges 51* and 56*: Honma TII World
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

I use my 3w and my 5w (about 1/3 as often) on most rounds.  For years I bagged a Warbird 3 and it was a love/hate relationship.  One of my Canadian playing partners had me hit his G30 3w a couple season ago and it was so easy and consistent.  At first glance, the flattened profile looked "RU serious" to me, but I took to it like a LM Bass to a crankbait.  I picked up the G400's and they perform really well. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I used to be that guy who always pounded driver on every hole, even when it wasn't really warranted.  The past couple seasons however I've shifted to more of my 3 wood off the tee, in addition to the plays on long par 5's.  My scores have dropped dramatically as well as has my consistency in % of FIR.  

I think a lot of people do tend to not play their 3 wood as much as they should, but you could see some real advantages of not carrying one and going with a 4 or 5 wood instead.  I suppose the biggest question you have to ask is how do you play the game and what do you want to do with your set ups. 

If the strength of your game is short game, it definitely would make sense if you're not hitting the 3 much to take it out and put another specialty wedge in for chipping or short shots into the green.  

Great thing about golf equipment, there is no right or wrong way to do it!  You can individualize your set up however you feel comfortable. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

I hit my driver on every hole that's not a par 3, and I hit it on one par 3 if the wind is in my face.  I don't hit any FW straighter than I hit driver.  As a slower swinger I do need a FW for 2nd shots on par 5's and longer par 4's to get as close to the green as possible.  I can hit a 3W but not consistently well enough to routinely play it.  For a couple of years I played a 2H as my longest non-driver club, but I need more distance so I went with a 4W.  I'm still learning how to hit it and depending on the lie, I still use my 2H.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I hit my driver on every hole that's not a par 3, and I hit it on one par 3 if the wind is in my face.  I don't hit any FW straighter than I hit driver.  As a slower swinger I do need a FW for 2nd shots on par 5's and longer par 4's to get as close to the green as possible.  I can hit a 3W but not consistently well enough to routinely play it.  For a couple of years I played a 2H as my longest non-driver club, but I need more distance so I went with a 4W.  I'm still learning how to hit it and depending on the lie, I still use my 2H.

Sounds like you need a super hybrid!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

The 3w is a constant for me, definitely one of my best clubs. It’s usually my goto second shot club on most par 5s and even tee off with it on various par 4s on a couple of courses. I haven’t tried to hit a hybrid for a while but I always struggled with it in the past. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

1 hour ago, BNewton51 said:

The past couple seasons however I've shifted to more of my 3 wood off the tee, in addition to the plays on long par 5's.  My scores have dropped dramatically as well as has my consistency in % of FIR. 

I have been seriously considering doing more of this.  I suspect the increase in FIR's (short grass and no tree line) would outweigh the 30-40 yards less distance.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

My 3 wood is probably my favorite club in the bag.  I use it off the tee as well as on long par 5's if needed.  It is my fairway finder.  I can shape it like I want and have tons of confidence in it.  I can't say the same for my hybrid.  My hybrid is probably the LEAST used club in my bag.  As of late, I only use my hybrid for punch shots under trees.  Learn to hit your 3 wood, you will love it. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Love my 3 wood. I like it so much I’m thinking of adding a 7 wood.

:titelist-small: 917 D2 9.5 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g 6.5
:taylormade-small: M2 (2017) 3W 17.5 -  
:ping-small: G 4H 22 - 
:titelist-small: 735cm 3 - PW - KBS Tour Black Nickel 115g ( R )
:vokey-small: SM4 Tour Chrome 52˚- 8˚ | 56˚- 8˚ | 60˚- 7˚ - True Temper Dynamic Gold ( W )
:cameron-small: California Coronado
:Snell: 
MTB-X
:Arccos:

Last couple of decades I have only used what I deem a #3 wood (i.e. 13-16 deg loft) off the tee for accuracy purposes. Years ago when I got into club fitting, club making I learned a lot regarding necessary swing speed and angle of attack needed for me to get a #3 wood off the deck with sufficient carry distance. I have never had overly impressive swing speed and just rarely could get #3 woods off the deck (includes shallow and mid-deep face varieties). But I have had many #3 woods that all things equal I probably should have only been teeing off with those in place of my drivers. My fairway wood of choice starts at ~18 deg (call it 4 wood,5 wood or whatever) give or take pending design/shallow face with my swing dynamics. I do play with several friends that can easily game a modern #3 wood and they all have the following in common -- they are tall and have +105 swing speed (driver) with good grooved swings. 

37 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

they all have the following in common -- they are tall and have +105 swing speed

That is interesting that you bring up height. Watching many tall tour players hit driver it seems that they are able to stand more upright naturally. With the woods being the longest clubs in the bag it would make sense the natural stance is easier for them to hit it.

I have a wrist to floor that is about the same as someone who is 6-3 to 6-5, but I am only 5-11. I have always liked the longer clubs from woods, hybrids, and long irons which I can only attribute to feeling more natural at address. 

8i length is about my favorite short club. Anything shorter feels too short, and I have to consciously focus on staying down through the shot for 9i-wedges. My irons are 2° up and it still feels a bit manufactured in the short irons. 

Since the thread is about 3w - I have a gamer that I will bring out of moth balls when I play a course that is exceptionally long. I usually give up a short club like a Gap. My 3w is an Aldilla xstiff SLDR TS at 14° that I might turn down to 13° or from up to 15° depending on my desired flight and wind conditions. I have hit this club 293 yards at most, but usually around 240-250 is my target (5w 220-230). Driver for me is about 260 average with some getting out to 300+ when conditions allow. The tight gapping is why I usually just carry the 5w and D.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have been seriously considering doing more of this.  I suspect the increase in FIR's (short grass and no tree line) would outweigh the 30-40 yards less distance.

Go for it!

Frankly, I can hit driver on a Par 4 and have less than a hundred or a hundred on the number or I can hit 3 wood and have 130-40 into the green.  It's frankly just not a situation where I feel that the ROI on going with the long dog helps me much.  I will say, my driver numbers were TERRIBLE about 2 years ago.  I'm talking like less than 40% of FIR hit.  So I started using my three wood while I worked on my driver to get it to behave.   If, and that's a HUGE IF, I miss a FIR with my three wood in hand it's by at most 5 yards to the left because I over-cooked it.  So that right there will tell you, no more in the trees thus making my second shots on 4's so much more effective.  

Give it a try, but do it for maybe a month or two and look at your stats.  I'm willing to bet you will see your numbers drastically improve an your scores drop a couple strokes. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

23 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

I'm a high handicapper as well. I had a 3 wood in my bag and could never hit it straight, my fitter told me to trash it. I now have a King F9 5wood that is adjustable to 17*. Its a great club but still not quite as consistent as my 410 hybrids 22* and 26* (operator error). Before getting the 5 wood, I had actually considered getting a 410 19^.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My 3W is adjustable....I set it to 17* and I hit it much better

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Not for me, I still use mine as the gap between my hybrids and my driver.

The course set up helps answer this question too. Consider the pros change their bag around weekly based on the yardages they want into each green. So, maybe for your home course your 3wd isn't necessary, or dead as you said. Change courses and you may find your driver is dead and 3wd is your distance of choice off the tee. Or maybe change tees on your current course and you'll find the hybrids dead and 3wd becomes the club of choice on your 2nd shot into par 5's.

It's 90% Mental

I don’t use my 3W much, but I wouldn’t want to be without it. Second shot on many par 5’s if nothing else, or when I dub a drive, not often but it happens. 😝 Need something between my driver and 3H.

Same could be said of my 60* lob wedge, I rarely need it but sometimes it’s just right. Might as well carry 14 clubs.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys