Is the 3 Wood dead?

Our Sponsors

I am finding myself using my 3W less and less each round and my hybrid more and more. I am a high handicapper so maybe I just haven't mastered my 3W, but I feel a lot more confident using my hybrid off the deck than my 3W. 

Is anyone else going through the same situation? Or if you are a more skilled golfer using long irons instead? 

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:callaway-small: 3 Wood: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: 4 Hybrid: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: Irons:  - AW Rogue 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 54*, 58*
:cameron-small: Putter: California Fastback
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Pro V1
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most high handicappers/slower swingers should be gaming 4woods or 5Woods instead. They simply don’t have the club head speed to elevate a 3w, especially off the deck. Give that player a 4 wood or 5 wo

Hit that hybrid!  If it means more fairways and greens then it doesn't make much of a difference.  The idea that a bag should have certain clubs is tired logic, there's no reason to carry tools you ca

I used to be that guy who always pounded driver on every hole, even when it wasn't really warranted.  The past couple seasons however I've shifted to more of my 3 wood off the tee, in addition to the

I have never been able to hit fairway woods well, which is a point of frustration.  So, I don't have a 3-wood at all.  I do have a SIM 5-wood (the V steel one) that I lofted down to 17* to act as a 4-wood.  It is a very nice club and I hit it decent.  However, I have much more confidence in either a 2 or 3 iron.  So, my shots with a fairway good are less and less it seems.  I could easily eliminate it from my bag a probably not notice too much of a scoring difference.  For me, when I know I can hit a long iron well, I am reluctant to take on the risk of using a fairway wood.  I struggle with hybrids as well.  I am a long iron dude it would seem.

• Like 3

Shoot 'em straight

@Nateyeight is your 3 wood adjustable? Adding a little more loft can help, IMO.
I didn’t like my 3 wood until I was without a driver for awhile and was forced to use it. Can you hit it well off a tee?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

I love my 3 wood! Use it off the tee on about 3 holes and on 3 par fives.

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  4 - 6 T200,Titleist 7 - PW T100S, Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Most high handicappers/slower swingers should be gaming 4woods or 5Woods instead. They simply don’t have the club head speed to elevate a 3w, especially off the deck. Give that player a 4 wood or 5 wood and watch them carry it further than any 3 wood they’ve tried to hit. 

2 hours ago, Nateyeight said:

I am finding myself using my 3W less and less each round and my hybrid more and more. I am a high handicapper so maybe I just haven't mastered my 3W, but I feel a lot more confident using my hybrid off the deck than my 3W. 

Is anyone else going through the same situation? Or if you are a more skilled golfer using long irons instead? 

I don't game a 3w lately. However, it is for a different reason than not hitting it will. My reason is hitting it too well. The gap from my driver to 3w was only 10-15 yards. 

I do go Driver - 5w - 4H - 4i...

I love my 5w. 

• Like 3

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

The M2 3HL has been money, however my new to me Mavrik Max 5 wood is so easy to hit and land that the M2 might be seeing the for sale

WITB

G400 10.5 

M2 3HL

Titleist 818 3 and 4 hybrid 

Ping G15 5-gap

Vokey SM7 54 degrees 

Vokey SM6 58 degrees 

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

It is for me. I'm carrying 2 drivers this year the second of which is 12.5* and 43.5". As I was only using my 3 wood off the tee I figured why not just use a driver for the added forgiveness. Fairway finder!

Lowest loft ill hit off the deck is 17*.

• Like 2

Clubs.jpg.b0df6f27ceedde9520a039cf9e3b013b.jpg

Currently deciding what shaft to use in blank cells...

At one point my 3w was one of my best clubs but last year I just couldn’t control it.. it was an old TM burner .. my brother actually used it this summer and did well with it .... so switch to the cobra f9 5wood that adj and I love it .. might actually switch to a 4w to get some distance I lost with putting the 3w 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW OBAN CT-100 Hard Step S Shafts  

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

Great Question.  I'm on the fence on this as well.  Last year, I carried a 3 wood for most of the year, but seldom use it.  I don't have quite as big of miss with the 3 wood as I do my driver, but it's honestly so close that I may as well use driver.  I did gather a lot of confidence in my driver last year, so that has to be taken into account.  

Also, for the most part on par 5's, I find myself 200 - 240 range where I am better suited at using anything from a 2 hybrid up to a 5 iron dependent on conditions.  For shorter or tighter Par 4's, I'm more confident with a hybrid or 4 iron by far.  I will say the few times I actually did use 3 wood, it worked out pretty well.  I had one round, where I didn't have driver and I was either on the fairway or 5/10 yards off with no issues.  Had what I would say was my shot of the year with a 3 wood from 260 out on a par 5 around a tree to 8 feet too.  (shoot now I feel like I'm talking myself into it)

I actually have a perfect 3 wood shaft as well, so I find myself always looking for a 3 wood I'd like.  But in all honesty, still not sure how much it would get used.  

The last point that becomes a factor and large difference is that I've never been fit for a 3 wood specifically.  Lastly, I added a hybrid to the bag so I'm full at 14 currently.

• Like 2

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

2 hours ago, Herts JoaTMoN said:

It is for me. I'm carrying 2 drivers this year the second of which is 12.5* and 43.5". As I was only using my 3 wood off the tee I figured why not just use a driver for the added forgiveness. Fairway finder!

Lowest loft ill hit off the deck is 17*.

That's what I did as well. But to be fair, I had my 3w lofted up to a 4w and it was very, very consistent off the tee. I'll hit my Heavenwood from the deck, but not the 3/4w. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Hit that hybrid!  If it means more fairways and greens then it doesn't make much of a difference.  The idea that a bag should have certain clubs is tired logic, there's no reason to carry tools you can't use properly.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Diamana FW 75 X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

I don't use my 3 wood off the deck much, but that is a symptom of the courses I play. I do use it off the tee when I need to hit a fairway, or when the hole calls for a shorter shot off the tee. Even if it doesn't get a lot of use every round, I couldn't imagine not carrying it. 

• Like 3
Driver:  PXG Proto X
3 Wood: PXG 0341x GEN2
17* Hybrid: PXG 0317x GEN2
3 Iron: Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 
4-6 Irons: Mizuno MP18 SC MMC
7-PW Irons: Mizuno MP18 SC
Wedges 51* and 56*: Ping Glide 2.0
Putter: PXG Spitfire GEN2

I use my 3w and my 5w (about 1/3 as often) on most rounds.  For years I bagged a Warbird 3 and it was a love/hate relationship.  One of my Canadian playing partners had me hit his G30 3w a couple season ago and it was so easy and consistent.  At first glance, the flattened profile looked "RU serious" to me, but I took to it like a LM Bass to a crankbait.  I picked up the G400's and they perform really well. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I used to be that guy who always pounded driver on every hole, even when it wasn't really warranted.  The past couple seasons however I've shifted to more of my 3 wood off the tee, in addition to the plays on long par 5's.  My scores have dropped dramatically as well as has my consistency in % of FIR.  

I think a lot of people do tend to not play their 3 wood as much as they should, but you could see some real advantages of not carrying one and going with a 4 or 5 wood instead.  I suppose the biggest question you have to ask is how do you play the game and what do you want to do with your set ups. 

If the strength of your game is short game, it definitely would make sense if you're not hitting the 3 much to take it out and put another specialty wedge in for chipping or short shots into the green.  

Great thing about golf equipment, there is no right or wrong way to do it!  You can individualize your set up however you feel comfortable. 

• Like 6

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

I hit my driver on every hole that's not a par 3, and I hit it on one par 3 if the wind is in my face.  I don't hit any FW straighter than I hit driver.  As a slower swinger I do need a FW for 2nd shots on par 5's and longer par 4's to get as close to the green as possible.  I can hit a 3W but not consistently well enough to routinely play it.  For a couple of years I played a 2H as my longest non-driver club, but I need more distance so I went with a 4W.  I'm still learning how to hit it and depending on the lie, I still use my 2H.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I hit my driver on every hole that's not a par 3, and I hit it on one par 3 if the wind is in my face.  I don't hit any FW straighter than I hit driver.  As a slower swinger I do need a FW for 2nd shots on par 5's and longer par 4's to get as close to the green as possible.  I can hit a 3W but not consistently well enough to routinely play it.  For a couple of years I played a 2H as my longest non-driver club, but I need more distance so I went with a 4W.  I'm still learning how to hit it and depending on the lie, I still use my 2H.

Sounds like you need a super hybrid!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with  :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS 7X. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34")

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

The 3w is a constant for me, definitely one of my best clubs. It’s usually my goto second shot club on most par 5s and even tee off with it on various par 4s on a couple of courses. I haven’t tried to hit a hybrid for a while but I always struggled with it in the past. 

• Like 4

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 460 9.5*

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-PW

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

8 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Sounds like you need a super hybrid!

I'm not sure there is such an animal... must have forgotten to get on the Ark with the unicorns!

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, BNewton51 said:

The past couple seasons however I've shifted to more of my 3 wood off the tee, in addition to the plays on long par 5's.  My scores have dropped dramatically as well as has my consistency in % of FIR. 

I have been seriously considering doing more of this.  I suspect the increase in FIR's (short grass and no tree line) would outweigh the 30-40 yards less distance.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter