Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wedges!?

Brando

Hey guys and gals.

First post, and this forum is the reason for purchasing my TM P790s...so thank you, they hit like butter!

Now I need a set of GOOD wedges..

I got the set of 2019 P790s, 4-PW. My PW is 45°. There is an "A" wedge 50° option for the 790 set that I'm contemplating getting, and then a 54 & 58...either Vokeys or TM wedges. 

The other option, is skip the 790 wedge, and jump with Vokeys or TM wedges in the 52°, 56°, 60°.

Thoughts?

...and which wedge would you guys suggest, Vokeys or TMs?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Brando

Sim Max D

Sim Max 3 Wood

TM P790 Irons

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. I would suggest that you get fit for the correct loft and bounce.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Personally, I use my gap wedge for full shots nearly all the time so I have a set matching gap wedge and then have a 54 & 60 specialty wedges with grinds that allow me to open the face, etc. 

If you like to manipulate the face with your GW, then I'd suggest getting a specialty wedge but if you're like me then the set GW might make more sense.

Last year I revamped my wedges to improve my yardage gapping.  My Titleist AP3 set has a 43 degree PW and a 48 degree gap wedge.  I had been playing Vokey SM7 54 & 60 that had a custom sole grind to provide more heel relief, but after over 400 rounds and having grooves sharpened once already the Vokeys were ready to be replaced.

My solution was to build up a set of Corey Paul wedges in 52, 56 & 60 to replace the Vokeys and have found it to have really helped me to reduce the times that I am in between clubs for specific yardages.  The feel and performance of the Corey Paul wedges around the green is excellent.  They also are good to look at and have a certain cool factor that I appreciate. 

Since switching to the Corey Paul wedges I’ve become sort of a collector of his wedge heads and have started building wedges for my golf partners.  I’ve also picked up a couple sets of his cavity back irons off of EBay and will probably put them in play when my current set wears a bit more.

So my advice is to evaluate your current bag set-up and see if there are any clubs on the top end that you really either don’t hit very often or have lost confidence in and take it out in favor of another wedge.  Don’t be afraid to try some different wedges if you can too.  You just might be surprised as I was to find an alternative that performs better for you. 

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

In my opinion, Wedges are hands down a VERY personal thing.  You have to figure out what looks good, feels good, gapping, and appropriate bounce.  Those necessitate a fitting and trying everything.  

I do agree with a 45* PW in the 790's it would make a lot of sense that you probably consider 50-54-58 (60).  However, that really comes down to what type of wedge player are you.  I have a scratch friend that plays those 790's and he insists on playing the A wedge for consistency, and he'll tell you that the 54 and 58 he carries are for specialty shots and never to be hit full out.  With his scores, I can't say he's doing it wrong either.  

But I have other friends who are at or just above scratch that insist on specialty wedges because that's what they always had and it gives them what they are looking for in feel and performance.  

For me, I have a 50-54-58.  I play a mixed bag of conditions from wet soft play to hard-pan courses.  So something with an appropriate flexible bounce to accommodate those different playing conditions is critical.  I also gapped my clubs that I have the distances dialed in to what I need and want them to be as well.  

So all that blabbing to tell you, try them all.  Cleveland, Titleist, Callaway, TM and Mizuno all have amazing clubs that will fit a varying ability level.  None of them are better than another.  The best is simply the one that gives you the results and works for  you. 

Play well brother!

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

You reference quality proven wedge brands that work for most with & w/out being fit to. I prefer lots of testing/proper custom fit. I have several friends that just buy off rack based on loft and do just fine without any fitting or testing beforehand.

Hey guys and gals.
First post, and this forum is the reason for purchasing my TM P790s...so thank you, they hit like butter!
Now I need a set of GOOD wedges..
I got the set of 2019 P790s, 4-PW. My PW is 45°. There is an "A" wedge 50° option for the 790 set that I'm contemplating getting, and then a 54 & 58...either Vokeys or TM wedges. 
The other option, is skip the 790 wedge, and jump with Vokeys or TM wedges in the 52°, 56°, 60°.
Thoughts?
...and which wedge would you guys suggest, Vokeys or TMs?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ditto pretty much everything already said. 

Get the set Gap

Then get something in the 54°-56° range with high bounce as a sand wedge and fluffy lies

And, a lob in the 58°-60° range with low bounce for tight lies and versatility

A Vokey-like 50° might not fly the same as a set A wedge (Gap), so the only reason to get the Vokey style 50° is if you like to use it around the greens as much or more than more lofted wedges.

This is my opinion based on my experience, and what I gather from those much more experienced than me.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I have experimented with set matching wedges and specialty wedges.  I have come down to set matching up to sw, and have a callaway sureout 2 60deg lw.

Mizuno jpx919

pw 45

Aw 50

Sw 55

SO2 LW 60 deg

I hit all wedges with full shots I chip with AW.  Lob out of bunkers. Mizunos are new to me so still working on distances with full and less then full swings. 

Generally 

Pw 130-115

Aw 115-100

Sw 80-100

Lw 60-80

Inside 60, is either a easy lob or a chip.  It seams to be so windy this winter I am hitting more knock downs or bump and runs rather then high shots. 

I have played mack daddy 4 , Cleveland cbx2 and sureout 2, all in 52, 56 and 60.

I am loving the gaping with jpx wedges, 45 50, 55, I light pick-up jpx lob too.  

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

I appreciate all of the responses, they send me in the correct direction.

I'm not the second coming of Tiger, nor am I going to be, so I think the set Gap (A) wedge is the way to go for me. The 8-AW are all spaced out by 5° each, so I will order a 1° weaker 54° and 60° Vokeys. Ill make sure to visit the website to find out the correct bounces to order and choose any special characteristics.

I knew asking here would set me on the correct path.

Thanks guys!

Sim Max D

Sim Max 3 Wood

TM P790 Irons

I have always played Cleveland.

This Christmas my Son and wife bought me some new Callaway wedges.

I had been fitted at a demo day a few months ago ( just testing and messing around).

Never would have thought those worked best for me.

Tried several brands, but the Mack Daddy Jaws 5 feel like they were made just for me.

50°, 56°, and my lob is an old Cleveland.

It will be replaced soon.

The best grind for me happened to be the 'S' grind.

Go somewhere and try different brands and styles.

My wedge game wasn't as bad as I thought.

Now, it's more confidence around the greens.

Always chasing different clubs

• 1 year later...

Since I dropped my set 46 degree set wedge and 56 degree Mizuno T5 to search for perfectly gapped wedge paradise I must have tried, bought and sold 10 specialty wedges.

I think that I was a better and happier wedge player before.

Edited by James WA
  • 3 weeks later...

Wedges, just like your putter, are personal. Me, I have always played Cleveland wedges. My last set(52,56,60)was the "form forged" 900 RTX, in low bounce. I now have CBX2's, 50, 54, 58, in low bounce. They give me the confidence that I can make that pitch, or that delicate chip. I play munis, with hard pan fairways, and firm sand traps and bunkers, which made my choice easy for low bounce wedges. Can't remember the last time I played with "sugar" sand traps, and bunkers.

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c