TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putt with a different ball than you play the rest of the course?

As I've just started playing the last few months, I like playing with a brighter color ball (normally yellow) around most of the course but prefer the look of a traditional white ball while putting. Also have considered a sleeve of nicer balls for putting for better feel without the risk of losing them. Wondering if anybody else out there is weird like me or if I'm all alone on this one?

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

I understand it, and enjoying a round is all that matters, but that’s one rule I’ve always followed: one ball in play, can’t have one for the full game, and one for putting.

If you’re just talking about color, I like the bright yellow for both. Certain colors actually have a calming effect, and once I started playing Pro V1X in yellow, I don’t like white as much. I really like putting with the yellow.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

43 minutes ago, PMookie said:

, but that’s one rule I’ve always followed: one ball in play, can’t have one for the full game, and one for putting.

Same here. 

as for the op is you aren’t keeping score for a handicap and just playing to have fun have at it with different colored golf balls

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'll be honest, I had no idea this was a rule until just now so I appreciate that info! I prefer to putt with a ball with 3 lines on it to help with alignment but get a little distracted when playing that ball through the rest of the course and assumed since you can mark and replace on the green, using a different ball was fine. Probably saved me an embarrassing interaction in the future. Appreciate it!

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

14 hours ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

I'll be honest, I had no idea this was a rule until just now so I appreciate that info! I prefer to putt with a ball with 3 lines on it to help with alignment but get a little distracted when playing that ball through the rest of the course and assumed since you can mark and replace on the green, using a different ball was fine. Probably saved me an embarrassing interaction in the future. Appreciate it!

So that's actually one of the biggest complaints I heard about the Callaway Triple Track Balls. People absolutely love the alignment off the tee and while putting, but in between the tee and the green the lines were distracting and off-putting. 

As for the OP, I'd think a different ball would be distracting and would throw me off a bit too much. I'd be so focused on adjusting to the new ball that I wouldn't be focusing on reading the green or getting my speed right. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Yes this is actually a local rule, but one I've rarely seen enforced - even in amateur tournaments. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the only thing you were changing was the color. Like you played with a white Pro V, and putt with a yellow. I would not be ok with switching from a distance ball to something softer around the green. Here's the USGA link.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/topics/golf-ball.html

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I don’t because it’s against the rules unless the ball is clearly damaged, 6.3a&b IIRC...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

If you are trying to develop feel on the greens and not submitting the score for handicap purposes, go for it! Typically I’d recommend playing every shot with your “game ball” so you got used to the feel and how the ball reacts on the course; however, I can understand the pain of losing ProV1s. 

As far as the rules for an “official round”, you may change the ball to whatever you please when taking relief e.g. after hitting into a hazard or losing a ball. However, when you are just marking the spot of the ball (such as on the green) changing the ball is against the rules unless it is visibly damaged in the course of play. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

On 1/24/2021 at 3:32 PM, Tsmithjr9 said:

Yes this is actually a local rule, but one I've rarely seen enforced - even in amateur tournaments. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the only thing you were changing was the color. Like you played with a white Pro V, and putt with a yellow. I would not be ok with switching from a distance ball to something softer around the green. Here's the USGA link.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/topics/golf-ball.html

Take Dead Aim

It's not a local rule. It's a rule of golf across the board (substituting ball) during the play of a hole that you cannot do it (unless the rules specifically allow like a damaged ball).

Here's a link that USGA specifically addresses the "putting ball": https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer2019.asp?FAQidx=261&Rule=0&Topic=12

No rule saying you can't switch BETWEEN holes though ... just cannot do it after teeing off (unless a condition of competition has implemented the "one ball rule" then you have to play the same ball/brand... and I also believe color - trying to find link about color being also included)? 

Couple things. No handicap index? No care. Go for it! However, you may get better if you do only play the same ball throughout the round as you get used to it's characteristics and consistency.  Not all balls play the same to your swing/putting. Getting familiar with how certain golf balls react to your swing/putting helps build consistency and shoot lower knowing how a ball will react/fly. 😉

--kC

Edited by Imp

Mixed bag... Mizzy irons, Callaway Woods, Vokey Wedges, Odyssey putter

I don't keep an "official" handicap, nor do I play in any comps. I used a different ball for putting. It was (almost) always the same as what I was playing, but it was clean, so I didn't have to worry about trying to clean my ball on the green and could wait until the ball washer at the next tee. I stopped doing it a couple seasons ago. No real reason that I recall, just got out of the habit, I suppose.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges