TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shorter shaft/typical 3-wood shaft on driver?

I'm pretty new to golf in general, especially specifics for equipment. Recently got fitted for new clubs through the whole bag and getting used to hitting TSi2 driver and TSi3 3-wood. Working slowly on reigning in a wicked slice off the tee so have been mostly playing 3-wood off the tee while I work on the driver during practice sessions to at least get closer to the fairway. Last week I played 27 holes using 3W off the tee the whole time and hit highest % of fairways I've hit and with a very even dispersion of misses left and right (which is highly unusual for me as I'm normally always right). My question is if anyone has any experience or thinks it would be an advantage to game a shorter shaft on my driver for more control but more distance than 3W while practicing with my typical length driver until I can get more consistent with that? Hopefully this makes sense and is in the right spot

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

If you were fit, the fitter should have determined the best length for your clubs.  A shorter driver shaft will change the swingweight of the club so it won't feel right to you; likely it will be shorter off the tee, probably not much different than your 3W, and it will still slice  Your 3W is straighter because it has more loft, not necessarily because it's shorter.

Rather than practicing more with the driver engraining the swing flaws that produce the slice, I would get a pro to help you determine what your swing issues are.  Lessons are a much faster way to hit the ball straighter than trying to work it out by yourself; I know, speaking from experience!!  🙄  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 10:23 PM, Curtis Atkinson said:

I'm pretty new to golf in general, especially specifics for equipment. Recently got fitted for new clubs through the whole bag and getting used to hitting TSi2 driver and TSi3 3-wood. Working slowly on reigning in a wicked slice off the tee so have been mostly playing 3-wood off the tee while I work on the driver during practice sessions to at least get closer to the fairway. Last week I played 27 holes using 3W off the tee the whole time and hit highest % of fairways I've hit and with a very even dispersion of misses left and right (which is highly unusual for me as I'm normally always right). My question is if anyone has any experience or thinks it would be an advantage to game a shorter shaft on my driver for more control but more distance than 3W while practicing with my typical length driver until I can get more consistent with that? Hopefully this makes sense and is in the right spot

While using a shorter shaft you need to check the swing weight, if it gets too light look for adding led tape, most of the pros don’t play regular lenght drivers.

i play mine 1/2 inch shorter and i feel a difference, the longer the shaft the more dispersion you are going to have.

WITB:

Taylormade M5 Driver, fujikura motore x F1 7X.

ping G410 3 wood, mitsubishi tensei Orange 60g X.

3 Iron p770, true temper x100.

4-9 Iron Taylormade MC, true temper x100.

46,50,54,58 SM8 Vokey wedges,true temper S400 shaft.

Sik putter Pro.

• 4 weeks later...

More length does not always equal more speed. It is not uncommon for some folks to swing a shorter 3w faster than a driver. Those same folks sometimes also hit a 5w farther than a lower lofted 3w. Confused yet?

TS-2 9.0, M4 15*, 916H2 19*, TS-2 23*, MP-18mb 4-9 KBS $-taper, SM7 46, 50, 54, 58, Newport 2.5

On 1/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, Kenny B said:

If you were fit, the fitter should have determined the best length for your clubs.  A shorter driver shaft will change the swingweight of the club so it won't feel right to you; likely it will be shorter off the tee, probably not much different than your 3W, and it will still slice  Your 3W is straighter because it has more loft, not necessarily because it's shorter.

Rather than practicing more with the driver engraining the swing flaws that produce the slice, I would get a pro to help you determine what your swing issues are.  Lessons are a much faster way to hit the ball straighter than trying to work it out by yourself; I know, speaking from experience!!  🙄  

One note here, since I’m playing a driver an inch-and-a-half shorter than stock, MOST fitters don’t have -1” or more shafts, and bringing-up swing weight is easy: if the club has a weight port, all oems sell weights, and one can have hot melt added, or even just use lead tape. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 1/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, Curtis Atkinson said:

Yes, shorter, but also HEAVIER could be an answer. Not meaning overly heavy, but making sure when you go shorter, you add weight to the driver head to make sure you keep a similar swing weight.

Have you looked into an adjustable head, say a 10.5*, where you can adjust it up as much as two degrees, even down a couple degrees? 
Shorter CAN be more accurate, it’s just not a guarantee, and it will still hit the ball just as far, possibly even farther, than you’re hitting it now if the weighting is done correctly.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX