Shorter shaft/typical 3-wood shaft on driver?

Our Sponsors

I'm pretty new to golf in general, especially specifics for equipment. Recently got fitted for new clubs through the whole bag and getting used to hitting TSi2 driver and TSi3 3-wood. Working slowly on reigning in a wicked slice off the tee so have been mostly playing 3-wood off the tee while I work on the driver during practice sessions to at least get closer to the fairway. Last week I played 27 holes using 3W off the tee the whole time and hit highest % of fairways I've hit and with a very even dispersion of misses left and right (which is highly unusual for me as I'm normally always right). My question is if anyone has any experience or thinks it would be an advantage to game a shorter shaft on my driver for more control but more distance than 3W while practicing with my typical length driver until I can get more consistent with that? Hopefully this makes sense and is in the right spot

• Like 2

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0 w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15 Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons (current): default_callaway-small.jpg.66e473fef4a572003a4786df0dc45b79.jpg X-20 4-SW // Irons (soon!): default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-W2 KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_vokey-small.gif.8b3e6796163481674aec1781665a53b6.gif58*04 

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

If you were fit, the fitter should have determined the best length for your clubs.  A shorter driver shaft will change the swingweight of the club so it won't feel right to you; likely it will be shorter off the tee, probably not much different than your 3W, and it will still slice  Your 3W is straighter because it has more loft, not necessarily because it's shorter.

Rather than practicing more with the driver engraining the swing flaws that produce the slice, I would get a pro to help you determine what your swing issues are.  Lessons are a much faster way to hit the ball straighter than trying to work it out by yourself; I know, speaking from experience!!  🙄  

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 10:23 PM, Curtis Atkinson said:

I'm pretty new to golf in general, especially specifics for equipment. Recently got fitted for new clubs through the whole bag and getting used to hitting TSi2 driver and TSi3 3-wood. Working slowly on reigning in a wicked slice off the tee so have been mostly playing 3-wood off the tee while I work on the driver during practice sessions to at least get closer to the fairway. Last week I played 27 holes using 3W off the tee the whole time and hit highest % of fairways I've hit and with a very even dispersion of misses left and right (which is highly unusual for me as I'm normally always right). My question is if anyone has any experience or thinks it would be an advantage to game a shorter shaft on my driver for more control but more distance than 3W while practicing with my typical length driver until I can get more consistent with that? Hopefully this makes sense and is in the right spot

While using a shorter shaft you need to check the swing weight, if it gets too light look for adding led tape, most of the pros don’t play regular lenght drivers.

i play mine 1/2 inch shorter and i feel a difference, the longer the shaft the more dispersion you are going to have.

• Like 1

WITB:

Taylormade M5 Driver, fujikura motore x F1 7X.

ping G410 3 wood, mitsubishi tensei Orange 60g X.

3 Iron p770, true temper x100.

4-9 Iron Taylormade MC, true temper x100.

46,50,54,58 SM8 Vokey wedges,true temper S400 shaft.

Sik putter Pro.