TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Value Drivers of 2021

JonMUSC08

Recently watched a review video from TXG (i know some ppl like them and others dont) but it gave a great perspective of the new drivers on the market from Cobra, Mizuno, and Srixon when compared to Titleist. They made it known that there are 7 excellent drivers on the market! Will be very interested to see how the 2021 Most Wanted Driver test goes and if these companies send out Drivers for our Forum members to test! Could turn some heads!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

You can probably add the D9 to the list as well, based on cost & value. The early reviews on it so far have been pretty good. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

47 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Recently watched a review video from TXG (i know some ppl like them and others dont) but it gave a great perspective of the new drivers on the market from Cobra, Mizuno, and Srixon when compared to Titleist. They made it known that there are 7 excellent drivers on the market! Will be very interested to see how the 2021 Most Wanted Driver test goes and if these companies send out Drivers for our Forum members to test! Could turn some heads!

I love the term "swing of the day" compare it same day. Ill tell ya, I have said it before on threads Ill say it again. I swung several drivers last year, (SIM, TS2, Speedzone, 410) best feeling TO ME was speedzone...a really large margin. Cant wait to see these this year.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

The only "value" out of those prices to me is the Mizuno.  Cobra is slightly better than most, but aren't most of the new options going for $499-$529?  That's what I saw on TGW/PGA Tour SS.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I'm glad to see them all performing well this year. I'm not sure that I would call them "value" drivers as there really isn't that much "value" in a $399 - $529 driver. I would consider drivers from companies like Tour Edge or DTC companies a "value" driver. If 2021 is the year driver technology greatly equalizes, I'll be curious to see what comes out in 2022/2023. MGS and widely available launch monitors have given the golf equipment industry the transparency that has never existed before. I personally believe that the USGA/R&A will start to receive some heat in the coming years from the manufactures regarding CT and other club limitations as the equipment space gets crowded at the bleeding edge of technology. I could even see manufacturers take a dive into non-conforming clubs for the vast majority of golfers that don't play formal competitive golf. I don't really want to see a bifurcation in rules but if the wrong wallets get affected, I would imagine we will see some movement. 

4 minutes ago, crw said:

The only "value" out of those prices to me is the Mizuno.  Cobra is slightly better than most, but aren't most of the new options going for $499-$529?  That's what I saw on TGW/PGA Tour SS.  

I would consider something to be "value" if it costs <$300 new. Tour Edge, Bombtec, Sub70, Maltby, Hireko, Ben Hogan, etc. would probably be the actual "value" drivers. I know Maltby and Hireko are custom clubs but you can purchase fully-assembled clubs from both of them, so I would count them. 

Not at all being sarcastic: right now, PXG should be in that mix of value drivers.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I had just watched this during my lunch break. I'm finally going to get fitted for a new driver this year so I'm reading/watching all that I can about the different 2021 drivers. The one aspect of value they don't cover is the available stock/no upcharge shafts. Each of them have slightly different free shaft options with some having higher MSRP than others. It seems like Mizuno has big name shafts, but they're mostly the older/lower end versions (Tensei CK vs Tensei AV raw etc.). Since all of their performances were very similar on Ventus Blue, the question then is who has the best shaft that is comparable to Ventus. I get that for the majority of golfers the shaft is secondary and the head is what sells the club.

14 minutes ago, gmdeac10 said:

I had just watched this during my lunch break. I'm finally going to get fitted for a new driver this year so I'm reading/watching all that I can about the different 2021 drivers. The one aspect of value they don't cover is the available stock/no upcharge shafts. Each of them have slightly different free shaft options with some having higher MSRP than others. It seems like Mizuno has big name shafts, but they're mostly the older/lower end versions (Tensei CK vs Tensei AV raw etc.). Since all of their performances were very similar on Ventus Blue, the question then is who has the best shaft that is comparable to Ventus. I get that for the majority of golfers the shaft is secondary and the head is what sells the club.

This is an excellent point... Looking at the available shaft options for 2021 I would be fairly confident in saying Cobra has one of the strongest no upcharge shaft offerings out of the 3. Mizuno is also very good but like you said as of right now it looks like older options.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

1 hour ago, jayjay0808 said:

This is an excellent point... Looking at the available shaft options for 2021 I would be fairly confident in saying Cobra has one of the strongest no upcharge shaft offerings out of the 3. Mizuno is also very good but like you said as of right now it looks like older options.

It doesn't necessarily matter what shafts they offer because what is best for you may not be an expensive or new shaft. You just have to get fitted. Generally speaking two shafts with the same weight and bend profile will perform similarly. Price does not dictate performance in the world of shafts.

24 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

It doesn't necessarily matter what shafts they offer because what is best for you may not be an expensive or new shaft. You just have to get fitted. Generally speaking two shafts with the same weight and bend profile will perform similarly. Price does not dictate performance in the world of shafts.

100% accurate that you do have to get fit... However no one can argue against the fact that typically higher cost shafts have higher quality materials etc. So it is nice when a manufacturer provides high quality shafts at a no charge option. Examples in the past being Callaway/TM that offer made for watered down options(Ventus with no Velcore) vs Cobra and Mizuno that have offered the typical aftermarket options as their stock (Atmos TS or Motore X)

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I didn't find it at all surprising that the numbers were nearly identical and that Matt admitted that the "hardest" club to use was the one that wasn't suited for his swing. With performance nearly maxed out, this video only highlights the need to try before you buy to see which club has IN YOUR OPINION the best feel, sound, look at address, etc. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

1 hour ago, jayjay0808 said:

100% accurate that you do have to get fit... However no one can argue against the fact that typically higher cost shafts have higher quality materials etc. So it is nice when a manufacturer provides high quality shafts at a no charge option. Examples in the past being Callaway/TM that offer made for watered down options(Ventus with no Velcore) vs Cobra and Mizuno that have offered the typical aftermarket options as their stock (Atmos TS or Motore X)

Agree with this 100%. Cobra seems to have the best free shaft options that are of high quality. The Mizuno does offer the Motore X, but only in F3 and not F1. I will say that Callaway and TM have a good selection of free shafts too, but Cobra seems to have the best Stock offerings that wouldn't have go through the custom department for.

I'm hoping to keep within the free shaft options if possible when I get fitted.

38 minutes ago, MNUte said:

I didn't find it at all surprising that the numbers were nearly identical and that Matt admitted that the "hardest" club to use was the one that wasn't suited for his swing. With performance nearly maxed out, this video only highlights the need to try before you buy to see which club has IN YOUR OPINION the best feel, sound, look at address, etc. 

This is very true. I thought it was interesting to hear his comments on the Mizuno. It seemed like he hit that the most off line, but since he liked the feel and sound better than the Cobra he thought it was a better fit for him. Im looking forward to their driver bracket and the Most Wanted results to see what sticks out, and by how much.

I've been testing the new drivers in the launch monitor/simulator against my 7-8 year old model.  While I can see some small and consistent improvements in some measures (ball speed and launch/spin) on the launch monitor, I do not see any advantage when I actually take them to the simulator and play them on the course.  My strokes gained driving have shown minimal gains at best (.3 strokes a round) and actually had a few end up in negative numbers against mine.  

16 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Not at all being sarcastic: right now, PXG should be in that mix of value drivers.

Yea I am not sure you can beat the 0211 driver price right now of $295

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

11 hours ago, gmdeac10 said:

Agree with this 100%. Cobra seems to have the best free shaft options that are of high quality. The Mizuno does offer the Motore X, but only in F3 and not F1. I will say that Callaway and TM have a good selection of free shafts too, but Cobra seems to have the best Stock offerings that wouldn't have go through the custom department for.

I'm hoping to keep within the free shaft options if possible when I get fitted.

This is very true. I thought it was interesting to hear his comments on the Mizuno. It seemed like he hit that the most off line, but since he liked the feel and sound better than the Cobra he thought it was a better fit for him. Im looking forward to their driver bracket and the Most Wanted results to see what sticks out, and by how much.

The uncharge on shafts is the game changer, finding the head and shaft combo is hard enough, but then add a significant up charge for a shaft and that combo may fall out of the mix. Hard to justify paying up to $700-1,000 for a new driver, at least in my opinion

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 1/27/2021 at 5:56 AM, Kansas King said:

I would consider something to be "value" if it costs <$300 new. Tour Edge, Bombtec, Sub70, Maltby, Hireko, Ben Hogan, etc. would probably be the actual "value" drivers. I know Maltby and Hireko are custom clubs but you can purchase fully-assembled clubs from both of them, so I would count them. 

Value isn't a price point.. it's a cost vs performance metric. The brands you've listed are "cheap".. whether or not that are "value" is a different story. I could 3D print drivers and sell them for $2.50. Doesn't mean that they're "value" drivers.

The reason the clubs in TXG's review are listed as "value" is because the performance is on par (if not, better) with clubs that are from $100-$300 more.
If a club from a brand that is cheaper than the Srixon/Cobra/Mizuno trio, performs as well, it could be considered value.

D | :cobra-small: | SZ Xtreme 10.5° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 60g | Setting: STD-Draw
3W | :ping-small: | 2014 Rapture 13° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 70g | Setting: 13.5°
3H | :Sub70: |  939X 19° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g | Setting: STD
4i-7i | :srixon-small: | Z585 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
8i-PW | :srixon-small: | Z785 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
W's | :cleveland-small: | RTX-4 - 52° MID, 56° FULL, 60° FULL
P | :odyssey-small: | TripleTrack - Double Wide - GP SNSR Tour Grip
B | :bridgestone-small: | Tour B XS /or/ :srixon-small: | Z-Star
G | GP Z-Grip