Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

SuperSoft Max

NC Golfer

Looking forward to trying the new SuperSoft Max. To me, the Magna which it replaces had a great concept of a larger easier to hit ball. But, distance and feel lacked. They were sure fun to chip with. I hope they have it right with the Max for feel and distance. It would make the game more fun for the targeted audience.

20 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

Looking forward to trying the new SuperSoft Max. To me, the Magna which it replaces had a great concept of a larger easier to hit ball. But, distance and feel lacked. They were sure fun to chip with. I hope they have it right with the Max for feel and distance. It would make the game more fun for the targeted audience.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but it’s IMPOSSIBLE to get “distance” out of a soft ball. It’s physics and My Golf Spy has proven it over-and-over. You can get the feel you want, but you’ll never get the maximum performance.

Not trying to be a jerk here... Just being honest.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

If the Supersoft Max replaces the Magna, isn’t it illegal? Just like the mggolf Senior.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The SS max is a legal ball. "It has an oversized design (three per cent larger than a standard ball), which Callaway say promotes distance, straight ball flight, and super soft characteristics in an easy-to-hit construction that conforms to the rules of golf."

Edited by NC Golfer

32 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

The SS max is a legal ball. "It has an oversized design (three per cent larger than a standard ball), which Callaway say promotes distance, straight ball flight, and super soft characteristics in an easy-to-hit construction that conforms to the rules of golf."

The issue in the Callaway claim isn’t regarding legality, it’s that it “promotes distance”. What does that even mean? They don’t define “distance”. Something travels a distance of it goes a millimeter.

Ugh. Soft=Slow, or as even Titleist says, “slowER”. If you want more distance, do yourself a favor and try a Tour ball. They’ve proven repeatedly to be the longest balls for most swing speeds. It may not feel nice and fluffy, but if you’re searching for additional distance, you’re not going to get it with ANY “soft” ball.

13 hours ago, PMookie said:

Not trying to burst your bubble, but it’s IMPOSSIBLE to get “distance” out of a soft ball. It’s physics and My Golf Spy has proven it over-and-over. You can get the feel you want, but you’ll never get the maximum performance.

Not trying to be a jerk here... Just being honest.

To add on:  the physics of a physically larger golf ball vs. a smaller golf ball.  Keeping weight the same, larger golf balls generally will not travel as far due to wind resistance.  Add a soft core, I just don't see the XL size golf balls adding any distance. 

Now if that is the ball you enjoy playing, by all means go for it.  It is an easier ball to get in the air and can make the game more enjoyable.  There is a golf ball for everyone.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I hear you guys. I am after distance and based on the previous gen, it didn't go far. I guess many of us are suckers of marketing in this game.  With that said, my son and wife could benefit from the ball as they have more trouble with contact. The chipping alone would make it worth it for this targeted audience. I don't recall playing the Magna in the sand, I suspect, it would be easier to get out of the sand. 

Edited by NC Golfer

54 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

I hear you guys. I am after distance and based on the previous gen, it didn't go far. I guess many of us are suckers of marketing in this game.  With that said, my son and wife could benefit from the ball as they have more trouble with contact. The chipping alone would make it worth it for this targeted audience. I don't recall playing the Magna in the sand, I suspect, it would be easier to get out of the sand. 

If you’re after distance, pretty much any ball that is described as “soft” will NOT accomplish your goal. The marketing of “soft” balls using the words “increased distance” are not comparing the soft model to a Tour caliber ball. Sure, this new one may get more “distance” than a Supersoft, but what does that mean??? Supersofts are marshmallows and go nowhere. Any company that sells you on “distance” in marketing their soft ball lines is simply lying. 

1 hour ago, NC Golfer said:

I think the marketing is giving you confirmation bias. 

3% larger is less than 2mm in diameter. 

I highly doubt that your family members are hitting a ball better because it is 1.5mm bigger than another ball 

On 1/28/2021 at 5:46 AM, NC Golfer said:

Try the Bridgestone e12, if their marketing claims of straighter flight are true it will be of more benefit than a ball that is slightly bigger. The old Callaway Supersoft were 5-10 yards shorter with driver than the Bridgestone e6 for me. The only thing I could see a bigger ball helping would be someone that hits it thin since the center is slightly higher and maybe it would sit down less in the sand (both of these would be negligible). The bigger ball would also make it more likely to shank, do worse on fat shots, as well as fly shorter on every shot where the ball is in the air and has greater wind resistance. There's a ton of balls that have soft feel (Wilson, Bridgestone, Noodle!) if that is what you are looking for, if cost is a concern buy AAAA (hello, ChromeSoft) used that are near mint. The Supersoft is one of the worst balls I ever played since it usually required 1 extra club into each green especially when you consider the price for a 2 piece ball. The MAGNA reminds me of the last scramble I played, there was a prize for who hit a giant marshmallow the farthest down the fairway. 😂 I think it was about 50 yards... Wilson balls are cheaper than Callaway and very soft, for whatever reason, they seem to travel farther as well. 

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

I have played Cally Supersoft Matte balls for the last couple of years, and with a <80 mph swing speed, its right up my alley. I get good distance, its straight, and has nice manners on, and around the green. I don't fear coming out of a green side bunker, or a 30 yard chip. Love the feel off the putter! I am 64, and never had a very fast SS, so this ball helps me out, and keeps me in the fairway. I have played quite a lot of golf balls, 3piece, 4 piece, 2 piece, with different compressions. Some were better than others for me, but the Supersoft fills the bill for my game, as I am a 20+ handicapper, that does not play enough. I played a total of 5 rounds last year(2020) before the cold weather set in around the Chicago area. I feel confident when I hit this ball off the tee, and I think that counts for a lot. I am in the fairway a lot more with this ball, and to me distance is not the end game for me, accuracy is. If someone feels good about their game playing a soft ball, go for it!!

Edited by drb1956
Clarifying

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

• 2 weeks later...

Played the yellow Max. It is still not out retail so I'm glad I ordered it direct with Callaway. It plays similar to the Magna, maybe a touch better feel and I do like the yellow color. I'm going to give it some time as it feels very different - light and big. It's something you want to try as a beginner golfer, young junior, aging senior or the guy in his 20's who slices badly. The ball pretty much goes straight. If it went left or right, alignment is off.