TESTERS WANTED! ×

Balls, balls, and more balls

Looking for discussion on golf balls. What you play what you have tried and did not like and what you want to try.

I have always been a callaway fan boy and seriously thought hackers who pay $60 for a dozen prov1 where literally just shooting $4-5 dollars into the woods with way too many shots. 

That being  said, I started playing this year with the callaway supersoft. $104 for a bag of 120 near mint used balls.  I like them, but the compression is like 38 with a surlyn cover two peice ball. I wanted to try something a little better with higher compression and better around greens. I tried the chromesoft x triple track. $141 for a bag of 120 used balls. I think these are more like 90 compression. With urethane cover.  I like them. But do not love them 

Now I just ordered a bag of yellow erc soft triple track. I think these have about 60 compression and hybrid soft cover again 2 peice.  

Ibam also going to get a box of regular chrome soft and try them. 

Handicap 16, driver swing speed 101 -104mph, 7i 83 -87

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

Discussions on golf balls are
In the balls forum under equipment. You can also look on the main MGS page and read the Ball Lab reports regarding quality and compression information.

General advice is callaway balls are of lower quality. Softer balls generally have slower ball speed. Find the ball that gives you the best performance from tee to green; starting with green side performance....don’t pick based on compression. Finally, unless you lose lots of balls play a tour level golf ball.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you are looking for premium balls on a budget, I would suggest Kirkland Signature golf balls, I am not sure what the compression is, but I would trust them over used golf balls and they are $25 for 24 golf balls, so a dollar a ball

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS

14 minutes ago, RobbyT said:

If you are looking for premium balls on a budget, I would suggest Kirkland Signature golf balls, I am not sure what the compression is, but I would trust them over used golf balls and they are $25 for 24 golf balls, so a dollar a ball

Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more. The first version of Kirkland Sig balls years ago were indeed a screaming bargain, but they change every year, and they’ve never repeated the first year version. They’re one of the least consistent balls you can buy, you get what you pay for. I’d play found balls selectively before buying Kirklands.

https://mygolfspy.com/costco-kirkland-performance-three-piece/

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I have to agree with Middler. I have not been impressed with Kirkland balls lately. In addition to consistency issues they seem to be much more susceptible to scuffing even without hitting a tree or cart path. 

:cobra-small:  SpeedZone 9*  

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3w+ 12.5*

:adams-small: DHY Proto 18* (DG S300)

:ping-small: I210 🟢 4-PW (KBS Tour FLT 120)

:callaway-small: JAWS MD5 (46/10S, 52/10S, 58/8W)

:odyssey-small: White Hot XG Rossie

Vice Pro Plus

:1590477705_SunMountain::918457628_PrecisionPro::Arccos:

That being  said, I started playing this year with the callaway supersoft. $104 for a bag of 120 near mint used balls.  I like them, but the compression is like 38 with a surlyn cover two peice ball. I wanted to try something a little better with higher compression and better around greens. I tried the chromesoft x triple track. $141 for a bag of 120 used balls. I think these are more like 90 compression. With urethane cover.  I like them. But do not love them 

Now I just ordered a bag of yellow erc soft triple track. I think these have about 60 compression and hybrid soft cover again 2 piece.  

Not being a Smart A, but How Many Golf Balls Do You Lose? 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I started using the Bridgestone last year. The E12 Soft (for under 105 mph swing) tend to fly nice and straight for me, but the Speed (over 105 mph)tend to fly a little further, albeit with less accuracy.

The Vice balls are pretty popular right now as well, and are gaining alot of screen time and reviews online.

Sim Max D

Sim Max 3 Wood

TM P790 Irons

1 hour ago, GaDawg said:

Now I just ordered a bag of yellow erc soft triple track. I think these have about 60 compression and hybrid soft cover again 2 piece.  

Hey, who are we to judge? I mean, the math is on his side.

3 bags of 120 balls is 360 balls. 

If he's losing 6 balls per round (I went with the clearly and not in the least sarcastically reasonable loss rate of only 2 sleeves a round) and not finding replacemwnts; AND

If he golfs every single day at that loss rate;

He'll have burned through those 360 balls in exactly 60 days. 

Clearly he needs to buy more, since at that rate he'll be out of balls before April. 

Edited by MNUte
Auto correct

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

3 hours ago, Middler said:

Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more. The first version of Kirkland Sig balls were a screaming bargain, but they change every year. They’re one of the least consistent balls you can buy, you get what you pay for. I’d play found balls selectively before buying Kirklands.

2 hours ago, 3GZ4ME said:

I have to agree with Middler. I have not been impressed with Kirkland balls lately. In addition to consistency issues they seem to be much more susceptible to scuffing even without hitting a tree or cart path. 

I will agree that Kirkland golf balls are nowhere close to something like a pro v1 for many reasons, I just don't trust used golf balls because they could have been sitting in a pond for a while or something like that.

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS

Switched to the Z-Star. They run bogo a few times a year and you're getting a tour level ball for $20 a dozen.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

8 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Smart ass. LoL. 

Yes I play by myself allot and practice on the course like 4-6 times a week.  If I hit a ball in woods I do not go looking for more then a cursory drive by. Thats why I buy used balls, they are cheap and decent quality, then I do not mind losing them.  I will sometimes try the same shot 5 or 6 times in a row to see what I can and cannot do.  

I am trying to hit fades, draws, long approaches,  stingers, knock downs  lobs  etc so yes I lose allot of balls.  Especially off tee, I am rarely playing it safe, If i am hitting into dog leg left i try to hit perfect draw. All this practice on a course is really good for me.  

When I am keeping score I have gone from mid to high 90s to mid to mid 80s in 7 months.  So for me, I could care less about cost of golf balls so I do not waste time looking for them.  Besides, when I do look I find all those PROV1's an put them in my bag.  Maybe I am crazy.  For example today I played nine holes in some pretty cold and windy conditions, I had course to myself, I think I lost 6 to 8 balls.  I was hitting over water and was trying to draw it and reach apron off tee. It was like 320 line of site, a little draw at 285 would get me in with lob wedge.  I hit two in a row into drink right at edge of fairway.  It was fun.  On an island green par 3 160, I was hitting 7 iron into wind  trying to work right to.left as green slopes away to right and whenever I hit fade it slides down right side.  I hit two to left of green pin high in some nice fluffy grass. 

I bladed one straight into water, hit a fade that bounced off back apron into water. 

I love to play and I probable do lose more balls then most people while practicing. 

I hit so many awesome, truly amazing shots.  Its all worth while to me. 

So far I am on my second bag of 120  balls.  I probable have about 50-70 balls, supersofts and chromesoft x left. 

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

Sounds like you got a plan! At least you are not one of those golfers walking around with a ball retriever all 18 holes holding up the entire course.

Good luck on your game.......

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Look into the Snell MTB....if you buy in bulk you can get them for $25 a dozen....very good price for a tour level ball.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

17 hours ago, Cbfodalo said:

Looking for discussion on golf balls. What you play what you have tried and did not like and what you want to try.

I have always been a callaway fan boy and seriously thought hackers who pay $60 for a dozen prov1 where literally just shooting $4-5 dollars into the woods with way too many shots. 

Now I just ordered a bag of yellow erc soft triple track. I think these have about 60 compression and hybrid soft cover again 2 peice.  

Ibam also going to get a box of regular chrome soft and try them. 

Handicap 16, driver swing speed 101 -104mph, 7i 83 -87

I also like the Callaway balls.

In real cold weather, the Supersoft is great.

Something you might check is the Superhot.

That Superhot is great for me.

They used to have a 55 and a 70 compression.

Not sure what the new ones are.

The matte-finish ones seem to feel better, and neon orange, green, and red are easier to see.

New price is $28??? but you get 15 in a box.

They are on all of the sites that sell used balls.

You might try a dozen or 2.

Always chasing different clubs

Today I prefer the Snell brand golf balls. The Snell MTB-Black is my current gamer of choice and the Snell Get Sum is my practice ball (short irons, wedges, chipping and putting) for home practice areas.

Occasionally I will go back to ProV1's should my family get me those as gifts. For some reason they know the Titleist brand 😀 as I played them for so many years and well, they are Titleist after all -- "number one brand golf ball in golf".

Both Titleist and Snell have excellent reviews and balls in multiple price ranges. MGS has excellent ball lab reviews and there are quality consistent brands in all price ranges.

Today I prefer the Snell brand golf balls. The Snell MTB-Black is my current gamer of choice and the Snell Get Sum is my practice ball (short irons, wedges, chipping and putting) for home practice areas.
Occasionally I will go back to ProV1's should my family get me those as gifts. For some reason they know the Titleist brand  as I played them for so many years and well, they are Titleist after all -- "number one brand golf ball in golf".
Both Titleist and Snell have excellent reviews and balls in multiple price ranges. MGS has excellent ball lab reviews and there are quality consistent brands in all price ranges.
Titleist still makes an amazing ball, no doubt. And like you I'll never turn down a dozen ProVs. But, when Srixon, Snell, Vice even the Maxfli ball at Dick's are scoring just as well for under $30 a dozen while Titleist is $50 it's hard to justify.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I've been using a cheap 'store exclusive model' brand name for a while, and they served me fairly well. But I wanted to move to a better quality ball   No way I want to spend top price range though.

Going to use the Inesis 900 this season.  Having tried them briefly before.  Same price bracket as Srixon 333 and Soft Feel, with a eurethane cover.

I tried the current Kirkland 3 piece too, not bad for the price, they worked out just a litte more than the 'budget' ones I used.  Which is the thing often ignored when referencing them, they are a cheap ball, so should really be compared with other low cost options.