TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleaning Golf Clubs

Guys I know this sounds like a silly question but I have been burned in the past. My last set of irons were cobra F8's, when they arrived they had a great shiny finish. I am very meticulous with keeping my clubs clean after rounds, soft club brush, a little dish soap and warm water. Over time I found that the clubs lost their finish and polish significantly. They looked like a card that needed to be waxed and polished. Looking at the Cobra website I found one other gentleman who reviewed the irons with the same problem. I reached out to Cobra's customer service department directly and was told it is because I have hard water. Cosmetically to me the clubs looked terrible in the end. Reaching out to the forum to see what methods many of you have so I can avoid this going forward. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

what kind of finish did the clubs come with? was it chrome or a polished sating finish?  and after use and washing did the finish simply fade, or was there staining/pitting/peeling evident on the clubs?

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

3 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Guys I know this sounds like a silly question but I have been burned in the past. My last set of irons were cobra F8's, when they arrived they had a great shiny finish. I am very meticulous with keeping my clubs clean after rounds, soft club brush, a little dish soap and warm water. Over time I found that the clubs lost their finish and polish significantly. They looked like a card that needed to be waxed and polished. Looking at the Cobra website I found one other gentleman who reviewed the irons with the same problem. I reached out to Cobra's customer service department directly and was told it is because I have hard water. Cosmetically to me the clubs looked terrible in the end. Reaching out to the forum to see what methods many of you have so I can avoid this going forward. 

"IF" you do indeed have hard water, you might want to buy some gallon jugs of distilled water from the supermarket for about $0.88 each, just to use for cleaning the clubs. But being in Cleveland, I can't believe you have hard water unless you're on a well.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

5 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

I use product like Bar Keepers Friend MORE Spray + Foam Multipurpose Spray Cleanser and Rust Stain Remover on some of my iron club heads. Any club head that has insert, medallion on back or other material (graphite/carbon fiber) I only use dish soap (mild amount). There is also jewelry polishes that I have seen articles about in years past but I don't use those. Sometimes the cleaning is not the issue, the clubs due to finish need polishing. There is web information on various cleaning/bringing clubs back to shine also that I have reviewed. Good luck. 

4 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

what kind of finish did the clubs come with? was it chrome or a polished sating finish?  and after use and washing did the finish simply fade, or was there staining/pitting/peeling evident on the clubs?

It was chrome. I would say it faded substantially. Everything became noticeable with scratches. Up close you could see the swirls of scratches through the finish. 

Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, MattF said:

"IF" you do indeed have hard water, you might want to buy some gallon jugs of distilled water from the supermarket for about $0.88 each, just to use for cleaning the clubs. But being in Cleveland, I can't believe you have hard water unless you're on a well.

Nope I’m in the city which is the worst part. If I still had the pictures I would post them to the forum to give some good examples. It was a shame for a club that initially looked nice but lost a lot cosmetically over time

Titleist ProV1

58 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

It was chrome. I would say it faded substantially. Everything became noticeable with scratches. Up close you could see the swirls of scratches through the finish. 

that’s strange because chrome is a hard coating meant to withstand use, cleaning, etc. 

think of the chrome on a car, motorcycle, or even a bathroom faucet. 

if they were actually chrome, i think you’ve got a legit beef on your hands with cobra. that sounds like some really crappy chrome plating to me. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

3 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

that’s strange because chrome is a hard coating meant to withstand use, cleaning, etc. 

think of the chrome on a car, motorcycle, or even a bathroom faucet. 

if they were actually chrome, i think you’ve got a legit beef on your hands with cobra. that sounds like some really crappy chrome plating to me. 

image.png.09e2d0f264358551aeb17dc259730e2c.png

I attempted to take that up with them with pictures and they basically said normal wear and tear and that I had used hard water removing the finish. The chrome finish became very dull after only about a 1.5 seasons of use. 

Titleist ProV1

Used my F8’s for 1 1/2 years and finish was fine.....cleaned them monthly

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I actually hate the chrome finish.  One of the 1st things I do when I but a set of clubs is to sand them with some superfine wet sandpaper and dull down the chrome.  I play a ton, the chromes gets all messed up in no time at all.  

I like that brushed stainless look. 

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

23 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

image.png.09e2d0f264358551aeb17dc259730e2c.png

I attempted to take that up with them with pictures and they basically said normal wear and tear and that I had used hard water removing the finish. The chrome finish became very dull after only about a 1.5 seasons of use. 

can you share the pictures here?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

can you share the pictures here?

I was able to find them actually in my emails 

image.png.45c26ba8e13d7da84e11ae9265a200ef.png

Edited by RollingGreens

Titleist ProV1

1 minute ago, RollingGreens said:

I deleted them, this topic was never meant to be a cobra bash topic even though it quickly took that direction

wasn't intending to bash cobra,  just wanted to see what they looked like.   Might help figure out what happened to see if something stood out.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

image.png.954201caa5210a25ffd33ca502abd292.png

Edited by RollingGreens

Titleist ProV1

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

wasn't intending to bash cobra,  just wanted to see what they looked like.   Might help figure out what happened to see if something stood out.  

I understand, I was able to find them. in my opinion its a stark difference vs the Wilsons that were posted above

6 minutes ago, Middler said:

Evidently not all chrome is created equal. I clean my clubs after every round with just water and an old toothbrush, and dry them. Here are my Wilson RM Midsize irons after more than 20 years use, the picture is the one I’m took to list them for sale. They had a couple dings and scratches, but the chrome was otherwise intact. The only club that showed a little more wear was the SW, for obvious reasons.

C62ACB20-695C-4A42-A24B-10D43564E2EA.jpeg

Great looking clubs!

Titleist ProV1

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don't feel that they held up to standards at all

Titleist ProV1

49 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

I don't feel that they held up to standards at all

How long had you had them and how often do you play?   Yes,  they look like they are pretty worn.   When I look at the bottom of the PW it looks like the scratches on the sole are from the ground.   The back of the clubs obviously wouldn't have ground impact but if you do like I do and backhand balls on the chipping green you might get those scratches.   I don't think "hard water" would do that to the clubs especially if you dried them after cleaning. 

32 minutes ago, cnosil said:

How long had you had them and how often do you play?   Yes,  they look like they are pretty worn.   When I look at the bottom of the PW it looks like the scratches on the sole are from the ground.   The back of the clubs obviously wouldn't have ground impact but if you do like I do and backhand balls on the chipping green you might get those scratches.   I don't think "hard water" would do that to the clubs especially if you dried them after cleaning. 

I had them for a little over a year. I live in the midwest so I don't get to play much over the winter. Honestly I don't think I had more than 40 rounds on them, I'm not much of a backhander. The scratches I can understand, but how the chrome wore really irritated me. It looked like it had taken the polish/finish completely off. I am pretty meticulous with cleaning, so putting them away wet wouldn't be an issue.  The worst part is I don't think I did anything the would cause that to happen, a little soap and water, wiped off the dirt and dried them off.

Titleist ProV1

4 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

I had them for a little over a year. I live in the midwest so I don't get to play much over the winter. Honestly I don't think I had more than 40 rounds on them, I'm not much of a backhander. The scratches I can understand, but how the chrome wore really irritated me. It looked like it had taken the polish/finish completely off. I am pretty meticulous with cleaning, so putting them away wet wouldn't be an issue.  The worst part is I don't think I did anything the would cause that to happen, a little soap and water, wiped off the dirt and dried them off.

BAsed on that description I would agree that I would expect them to hold up better than they did.  

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

BAsed on that description I would agree that I would expect them to hold up better than they did.  

Hopefully my new mizuno irons will fare better

Titleist ProV1

I've had my SZ irons since early last summer and after 60 or 70 rounds they look brand new. FYI I wash my clubs after every use with our great Lake Erie water and a soft club brush . I also have a set of C300's and the scratches on them resemble yours but that's after a couple of years and probably 200 plus rounds.

I also have a Ping 3.0 lob wedge that I got mid summer and the plating(?) is worn on the sole. Luck of the draw?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I played my F8s for two years, and I'm still playing the wedges.  They look fine.  Nothing like your pics.  I wonder if yours came from a bad batch?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

16 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Hopefully my new mizuno irons will fare better

My JPX900F’s still look great after 4 years, no reason to think they won’t continue to wear well.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
12 hours ago, cnosil said:

This may not be a cleaning issue, maybe bouncing around in the bag causes most of the damage? I use (every other) iron covers and the difference in my club condition versus all my golf buddies who don’t is night and day. They ALL make fun of my iron covers, and they also ALL admire how good my clubs look - no matter what brand I’m playing. People ask me if my irons are new all the time...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

As @Middlernotes, not all chrome finishes are equal.  Your cleaning recipe certainly shouldn't adversely affect the finish.  Unless you find a pattern of this issue with other owners of these clubs, I'd be wondering about the type chemicals being used at the courses you play and if you tend to have frequent wet/damp conditions.  The fertilizers and insecticides can be pretty caustic.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 1/27/2021 at 3:10 PM, goaliedad30 said:

If a guy shows up to the first tee with super shiny clubs that aren't obviously brand new .... I'm playing him for everything in my wallet!

If a guy shows up to the first tee with well-used clubs that look like the finish is well worn .... I'm not playing that guy for money, or I'll get cider in my ear!

Learn to embrace the well-worn look! Ever seen what the pros' bags look like? Generally well worn, and with dime-sized wear on the sweet spot!

I’ll be sure to let everyone else who has OCD “just embrace it”.  Make sure you bring a few C notes to the course😉  

image.gif

Titleist ProV1

On 1/28/2021 at 8:56 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

I played my F8s for two years, and I'm still playing the wedges.  They look fine.  Nothing like your pics.  I wonder if yours came from a bad batch?

I saw only one other person on the cobra reviews complain of what I think is the same issue. I bet if I searched more retailers their may be a small grouping with this issue

Titleist ProV1