Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

The Maltby Challenge - unofficial review

Manimal26

On 1/27/2021 at 9:46 AM, Manimal26 said:

First thank you to @Popeye64 for hooking me up with a maltby 7i and a brand new wedge.

please help me tag people who want to follow this that I am missing @Chip Strokes @dlow206 @Hotdocta @Popeye64

This has been a long time coming, but because of covid it took a long time to get a few single modus 125 wedge shaft and a few single modus 120TX 7i shaft so the playing field is as even as possible. I will be using fully built clubs and not club connex to give everything the fairest chance.

this will be broken down into 2 categories. Wedge and Iron. And of course this is subjective to me only, but if it performs I will give me honest opinion. Wedge will be first followed by irons incase we need to expand past the 7i for a better view

for the wedge the Maltby (56*) will be going up against my gamer the Mizuno T20 the new TW MG2 and what some would consider the holy grail the Mirua tour wedge. All will be built with a modus 125 wedge shaft lie angle bent to 62* and loft at 56*. Length will be 35.5”. Grip will be the NDMC black on black and swing weight will be made to D5.

wedge scoring

1. Launch monitor performance including the wet wedge test. I will rent a trackman and hit enough balls to get a good data set. This is the most important factor for me since I play in Texas. (35%)

2. Bunker performance. I will film shots and post a video. Volvik was kind enough to donate 3 boxes of the new S4 balls in multiple colors so we can track and see the results clearly. Workability proximity to the hole durability etc will be how this is scored. (25%)

3. on course performance. I will head to a par 3 course that has a 105 yard hole. 3/4 56 with my gammer I can carry 115 with 13k in spin. Same deal as the bunker, but will also factor in s*** shipping ability. (25%)

4. Ease of assembly. This is important because many people who purchase maltby build themselves. I have taken everything apart to the component level. When I bend them I want to see how long everything stays in place. I will take before and after measurements. I figure it will have about 500 balls on it so should be a good test. (10%)

5. This will be the first scoring but the least weighted. It is shelf appeal. While this is not the purpose major OEM’s use this to get us to buy. Also wedges are speciality clubs IMO and I don’t care as much about the look of I did I would not have the T20 as my gammer since it’s ugly. (5%)

Iron scoring

This will be the same for the most part except the weighting will be a tad different. Specs will also be D3.5 playing at 37.25” lie angle of 61* loft will all be adjusted to 33* to standardize. Shaft will be the modus 120TX. Grip will be the either the Lamkin st-2 hybrid midsize or ts1 midsize since I will be out of the NDMC. Contestants will be the Maltby Ts1-forged vs my gamer the Mizuno mp20 MMC the honma tr20v srixon zx7 and maybe one more tbd. Stock carry at 34* loft is 186 yards. (My Mp20 mmc are -2 weak)

1. Launch monitor. (25%) I don’t really care much about this with irons I just want to know carry & spin and shot grouping.

2. bunker performance (anyone who knows my game knows I am a magnet for the fairway bunker). (Part of on course)

3. On course performance. This will be the highest weighted category. The same par 3 course has a hole with a 190 yard pin in the middle which I would use a 7i they also have a hole with a 175 yard front pin which I would play a cut into also with a 7i. Will also hit a course and test approach shots and situations. (40%)

4. Ease of assembly. (15%)

5. Curb appeal. (20%) this is higher because of the overall cost of investment. It will also be the first category scored once I get all the heads in. This is also more important to me because the look has a lot to do with how you feel it might interact with the turf among other factors. 

stay tuned first video comes this week!

Thorough to say the least! Good on you sir, thanks for putting all this time in and sharing with the rest of us folks. Excited to hear your opinions and see the results!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Looking forward to this!

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Interested to see how the Maltby TS-1 performs

Driver: Taylormade M1 430 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S

Fairway: Mizuno ST190 TS Fujikura Atmos Black TS 75 S

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI 18* Project X HZRDUS Black 85 S

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade RSI2 KBS Tour 105 S

6-PW Taylormade Tour Preferred CB/MC KBS Tour 120 S

Wedges:

Vokey SM4 52

Vokey SM6 56/60 

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Ball: Bridgestone B330RX

Chiming in purely to get this in my Contest I Posted In stream...   😁

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Just checking in.. is this thing happening still? 🤨

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

He got a little busy with life, he is still going to do the test.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

He is a Manimal after all, things take time i guess

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

giphy.gif

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Looking forward to it.  Keeping priorities right is always great.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

Wait a minute.  Are you saying that, with a baby on the way, family matters take priority over reviewing a golf club?  Why do I even come here.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any update Manimal26?  Hope things have warmed up and things are getting back to normal.

Edited by NCDuffer

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

Let's cut him some slack.  I remember how it was when my kids were born.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 3/7/2021 at 9:48 PM, Popeye64 said:

I've pretty much given up on him. I actually forgot he still had the heads.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

So first off y’all have zero idea what I have been through. 

the ice storm in Fort Worth hit my area the hardest. I live 6 miles from where the 150 car accident was and the water treatment plant main line burst and trapped me and my 31 week pregnant wife for 5 days with out power water gas and I went days with out food so my wife and unborn child could eat. Had to build a fire in my house so my wife could stay warm... there tons more that’s happened, but the maltby challenge is the least of my concern... from 2/11 my last post, it’s been a non stop bursting of pipes weekly visits to the doctor for my wife and o yah we had a hail storm 4 days later after the ice storm that shattered the windows of my home and cars... I’m leading 2 companies working round the clock and I can’t even get a little rest let alone test a “Maltby”.... the only golf things I have done are raise money for charity to cover cancer bills for families and the rest of the time is spent keeping my wife safe and picking up the pieces that’s going to take months to make right... on top of all that out crazy governor decided to just let people not wear mask anymore and covid numbers have never been higher... when I go dark from posting there is usually a good reason and people who have sent me messages I have responded to.... I am still waiting on a replacement birdieball putt up from my testing since mine was defective and that was 9 months ago.... 

also if I say I am going to do something I am going to do it and do it right I will but I am on my schedule nobody else’s...  if you can’t wait for a post DM with your cell and I am happy to give you a call

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

the ice storm in Fort Worth hit my area the hardest. I live 6 miles from where the 150 car accident was and the water treatment plant main line burst and trapped me and my 31 week pregnant wife for 5 days with out power water gas and I went days with out food so my wife and unborn child could eat. Had to build a fire in my house so my wife could stay warm... there tons more that’s happened, but the maltby challenge is the least of my concern... from 2/11 my last post, it’s been a non stop bursting of pipes weekly visits to the doctor for my wife and o yah we had a hail storm 4 days later after the ice storm that shattered the windows of my home and cars... I’m leading 2 companies working round the clock and I can’t even get a little rest let alone test a “Maltby”.... the only golf things I have done are raise money for charity to cover cancer bills for families and the rest of the time is spent keeping my wife safe and picking up the pieces that’s going to take months to make right... on top of all that out crazy governor decided to just let people not wear mask anymore and covid numbers have never been higher... when I go dark from posting there is usually a good reason and people who have sent me messages I have responded to.... I am still waiting on a replacement birdieball putt up from my testing since mine was defective and that was 9 months ago.... 
also if I say I am going to do something I am going to do it and do it right I will but I am on my schedule nobody else’s...  if you can’t wait for a post DM with your cell and I am happy to give you a call
You take your time and take care of your family. None of this is any where near the importance of your family. You are doing the right thing. Also with my wife is 23 weeks pregnant and I can't imagine going through all of that.

We will be praying for you and hope everything settles down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Jeez, I forgot you're in TX.  Don't worry about this.  Take care of your family.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

21 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

After the pipes sounds like the hail storm made things worse. At least there’s one positive the broken windows happened after the deep freeze or y’all would have been in some real trouble.

2 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

Okay it’s warming up and my house looks like a golf tornado ran through it, but got the nursery built and the Maltby ts1 is drying so progress is being made... need something fun after everything that’s happened! 

Glad to hear things are trying to get back to normal! 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

45 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

Okay it’s warming up and my house looks like a golf tornado ran through it, but got the nursery built and the Maltby ts1 is drying so progress is being made... need something fun after everything that’s happened! 

Fun is what everyone needs!

• 2 weeks later...