Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

The Maltby Challenge - unofficial review

Manimal26

8 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

Okay we are having to shift this a little... as some of you know I am making the change from the modus 120TX to X7 and eventually working in the Accra iCWT2.0 as I transition to graphite in a 14 clubs. That being said based on availability of shafts and heads only 2 other heads will be going up against the ts1 forged and they will be the srixon zx7 and honma tr20v and they will all be shafted still with the modus 120TX... wedges will follow because hopefully they will have shipped by that point... I have rented a trackman for this upcoming week to go compare the 7i’s

This should be a very cool test!  Glad to hear things are getting somewhat back to normal... that was quite a saga you and your family just went through 😬.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Really curious how this is going to turn out.

Driver:   Cobra Fly Z- Diamana Kai'li 60 S or Cobra SZ - Xcaliber 6S depends on the day
Fairway:  Ping G15 4 wood- Aldila Serrano 75S
Hybrids:   Cobra TWS 3 and 4 XCaliber FW S75 Shafts 
Irons:    Maltby TS2 5-PW- DG105 S
Wedges:  Maltby 50, 56, 60
Putter:  Hogan Bettinardi BHB 12

2z5qgiv.gif

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

16 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

Okay here is the final line up for the 7i. All clubs will be bent to 32 degrees of loft and 61 degree lie angle. Nippon Modus 120TX playing 37.25" with a Lamkin ST+2 Calibrate grip.

Maltby Ts1 7i stock loft 32 Stock Lie 62.5 playing @ -1.5 flat

Mizuno MP20 MMC Stock loft 32 Stock Lie Lie 62 playing @ -1 flat

Honma tr20v stock loft 32 Stock Lie 62.5 playing @ -1.5 flat

Srixon ZX7 stock loft 32 Stock Lie 62 playing @ -1 flat

Final Wedge lineup TBD till Monday hoping a Mirua Wedge finally arrives

Wasn’t expecting that many clubs to be in the test but that should make this fun to see how it performs 

• 2 weeks later...

Suspense is building yes

Driver:   Cobra Fly Z- Diamana Kai'li 60 S or Cobra SZ - Xcaliber 6S depends on the day

15 hours ago, ItalGolfer said:

Suspense is building yes

Lourdes--18d : 22h : 34m | Ridemonkey Forums

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Give Brandon some time, he's busy with some family stuff. I talk to him outside of the forums. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 2 weeks later...

Its been just about 5 months. I guess life has gotten busy and harder than planned. When ever you get a chance pass the heads onto someone who may want or need them,, or whatever you like. 

Hope things turn around for you. Best of luck. 

I appreciate what ever effort you put forth. 

• 1 month later...

Is this thing still happening? 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Not likely….result was like a wet firecracker..lol

Hey guys, Brandon has some stuff going on (outside of having a newborn). I don't want to speak on his behalf regarding personal matters, but please have some patients. Thank you.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

23 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Hey guys, Brandon has some stuff going on (outside of having a newborn). I don't want to speak on his behalf regarding personal matters, but please have some patients. Thank you.

Well then let him deal with his stuff. We don't need to have the comparison done. Like I said, have him either give the heads to another or throw them in the used club bin. Appreciate his efforts. It's just Golf. It was supposed to be fun, not an obligation. 

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Well he isn't answering DMs or IG messages either. I've asked for him to send them back. I know some of you guys know him. Just ask him to send them back. 

The worst part is he has visited this site this month. Profile shows August 9th.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

• 1 year later...

Man, this thread really didn't deliver. Anyone want to step up and take over the reins on this one? We have a lot of new Maltby designs!

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

The impression I got is that he never had any intention of actually doing anything. Over the span of time he jerked around, at least three times he said in a DM that the head was drying in the rack and he would hit it the next day. Then it was he didn't have the right shaft. The whole thing was just a joke to him.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

The impression I got is that he never had any intention of actually doing anything. Over the span of time he jerked around, at least three times he said in a DM that the head was drying in the rack and he would hit it the next day. Then it was he didn't have the right shaft. The whole thing was just a joke to him.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Yeah it was hustle for sure. The guy was bullying people and picking fights all over the forum. Even if he was legit, he probably realized he got in way over his head with the Maltby stuff and didn't have the humility to admit that he was wrong. His whole objective was to prove that Maltby was cheap crap and that clearly can't be supported in any way. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Yeah it was hustle for sure. The guy was bullying people and picking fights all over the forum. Even if he was legit, he probably realized he got in way over his head with the Maltby stuff and didn't have the humility to admit that he was wrong. His whole objective was to prove that Maltby was cheap crap and that clearly can't be supported in any way. 

Yeah it was a wild ride for sure. The thread that lead to that should be in some MGS Forum hall of fame/shame. I thought @Popeye64 was INCREDIBLY respectful and patient with him. Glad we didn't lose him as a result of that fiasco. I am pumped about the TE+ coming out and interested in the TS4 so I am really eyeballing the Maltby stuff pretty hard. I like my milled max wedge and really wish there was more head to head testing of maltby stuff vs DTC vs Major OEM. Always surprised MGS doesn't do it. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832