Callaway Apex CF19 irons overrated.

Our Sponsors

Just purchased in November 2020, Apex CF19 irons with KBS Max 80 shafts reg flex.  I am trying the Apex's again, purchased the older 16 model back in 2016.  Didn't like them then and don't like the 19's.  Fitted at Callaway demo day and I could not get these to be accurate.  Sold them at $600 less in 2 months, and bought the Mavrik pro's which I love.  I just think the Apex line is overrated.  Don't know about the new 2021 AI models, maybe they are better.  Apparently a lot of people are not enamored as I could not get any bites on Ebay at $500 less than purchased, had to sell them $600 less after owning them for only 2 months.  

• Hmmm 1

STYLERS69

Big Bertha B21, Mavrik Woods/Hybrids,  Mavrik Pro Irons Cleveland CBX2 wedges

I’m not a Callaway fan, but I’d say their Apex line is their best line. Sounds like you just aren’t a fit for them. 

As for resale, few golf clubs retain much value. Especially with the type of shafts you are playing. Your at one end of the bell curve where most golfers fall in the middle. Same can be said with a lot of the super stiff shaft options. 

• Like 2

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

I have the 2014 Apex MB in a 2 iron and absolutely love the club. During a fitting the 2019 Apex came in second behind the Mizuno MP20 HMB for me so they werent awful. They were hot clubs where I was getting a ton of distance and high smash factors but the dispersion was larger then the Mizunos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

one has to wonder why a person would purchase the same club that they didn't like 3 years later and then complain about them... 🤔

but anyway - golf clubs are very person specific; one person's overrated is another person's underrated....

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Hmmm 1

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

17 minutes ago, STYLERS69 said:

Just purchased in November 2020, Apex CF19 irons with KBS Max 80 shafts reg flex.  I am trying the Apex's again, purchased the older 16 model back in 2016.  Didn't like them then and don't like the 19's.  Fitted at Callaway demo day and I could not get these to be accurate.  Sold them at $600 less in 2 months, and bought the Mavrik pro's which I love.  I just think the Apex line is overrated.  Don't know about the new 2021 AI models, maybe they are better.  Apparently a lot of people are not enamored as I could not get any bites on Ebay at $500 less than purchased, had to sell them $600 less after owning them for only 2 months.  

You went through a fitting at a demo day, couldn’t get them to be accurate for you, but you still bought them?

I’m confused....

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

image.gif.311c29d2a46907a27cb162662883cf8f.gif

• Like 1

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

Okay, you don’t like the irons but bought them anyway. Nothing wrong with not liking purchased clubs but that doesn’t make them overrated. Perhaps just a bad fit for your swing.

Can’t answer why they sold for the price they did on eBay. Could have been that it is off-season, the clubs were in poor condition, smaller market for the light graphite shafts, or just because that is what they sell for used.
  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not only are they not overrated the are one of callaways best selling models and callaway even had an extended run with the 16s because of their success

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't think they are overrated, they probably are just not for you. For example with me, the M5 might have been the best driver of that year, but I couldn't hit it as straight or as long as the driver I had at the time.

• Like 2

:nike-small: Vapor Pro 9* Driver

:callaway-small: XR 16 3 Wood

:cobra-small:King F7 3&4 Hybrids

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-5 Irons

:callaway-small:MD3 50* Wedge

Kirkland Signature 52*&56* Wedges

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B RXS

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 12:19 PM, cnosil said:

Okay, you don’t like the irons but bought them anyway. Nothing wrong with not liking purchased clubs but that doesn’t make them overrated. Perhaps just a bad fit for your swing.

Can’t answer why they sold for the price they did on eBay. Could have been that it is off-season, the clubs were in poor condition, smaller market for the light graphite shafts, or just because that is what they sell for used.

It was more than likely the shafts--- A lot of that depends on demographics--- Down here those would have sold at a good price in a NY minute

• Like 3

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

On 1/27/2021 at 1:42 PM, RobbyT said:

I don't think they are overrated, they probably are just not for you. For example with me, the M5 might have been the best driver of that year, but I couldn't hit it as straight or as long as the driver I had at the time.

Goes to show everyone is different--- I ended up with a M-6 on a trade deal and love the thing. Honestly I never would have thought so--- It is a straight cannon for me--- Have not seen a lot of love for the M-6 on here or WRX

• Like 2

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Goes to show everyone is different--- I ended up with a M-6 on a trade deal and love the thing. Honestly I never would have thought so--- It is a straight cannon for me--- Have not seen a lot of love for the M-6 on here or WRX

All in the eye of the beholder. It seems to me that most people are head over heels for the SIM. Not saying the M5 or M6 isn’t good but for some reason when everyone got word of the SIM they were out of favor quickly 

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

10 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

All in the eye of the beholder. It seems to me that most people are head over heels for the SIM. Not saying the M5 or M6 isn’t good but for some reason when everyone got word of the SIM they were out of favor quickly 

Yep that is the way it goes in the mainstream world but the manufacturers love it that way. Me right or wrong I march to the beat of my own drum

• Like 2