TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway Apex CF19 irons overrated.

Just purchased in November 2020, Apex CF19 irons with KBS Max 80 shafts reg flex.  I am trying the Apex's again, purchased the older 16 model back in 2016.  Didn't like them then and don't like the 19's.  Fitted at Callaway demo day and I could not get these to be accurate.  Sold them at $600 less in 2 months, and bought the Mavrik pro's which I love.  I just think the Apex line is overrated.  Don't know about the new 2021 AI models, maybe they are better.  Apparently a lot of people are not enamored as I could not get any bites on Ebay at $500 less than purchased, had to sell them $600 less after owning them for only 2 months.  

STYLERS69

Big Bertha B21, Mavrik Woods/Hybrids,  Mavrik Pro Irons Cleveland CBX2 wedges

I’m not a Callaway fan, but I’d say their Apex line is their best line. Sounds like you just aren’t a fit for them. 

As for resale, few golf clubs retain much value. Especially with the type of shafts you are playing. Your at one end of the bell curve where most golfers fall in the middle. Same can be said with a lot of the super stiff shaft options. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I have the 2014 Apex MB in a 2 iron and absolutely love the club. During a fitting the 2019 Apex came in second behind the Mizuno MP20 HMB for me so they werent awful. They were hot clubs where I was getting a ton of distance and high smash factors but the dispersion was larger then the Mizunos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

one has to wonder why a person would purchase the same club that they didn't like 3 years later and then complain about them... 🤔

but anyway - golf clubs are very person specific; one person's overrated is another person's underrated....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

17 minutes ago, STYLERS69 said:

Just purchased in November 2020, Apex CF19 irons with KBS Max 80 shafts reg flex.  I am trying the Apex's again, purchased the older 16 model back in 2016.  Didn't like them then and don't like the 19's.  Fitted at Callaway demo day and I could not get these to be accurate.  Sold them at $600 less in 2 months, and bought the Mavrik pro's which I love.  I just think the Apex line is overrated.  Don't know about the new 2021 AI models, maybe they are better.  Apparently a lot of people are not enamored as I could not get any bites on Ebay at $500 less than purchased, had to sell them $600 less after owning them for only 2 months.  

You went through a fitting at a demo day, couldn’t get them to be accurate for you, but you still bought them?

I’m confused....

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Okay, you don’t like the irons but bought them anyway. Nothing wrong with not liking purchased clubs but that doesn’t make them overrated. Perhaps just a bad fit for your swing.

Can’t answer why they sold for the price they did on eBay. Could have been that it is off-season, the clubs were in poor condition, smaller market for the light graphite shafts, or just because that is what they sell for used.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not only are they not overrated the are one of callaways best selling models and callaway even had an extended run with the 16s because of their success

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't think they are overrated, they probably are just not for you. For example with me, the M5 might have been the best driver of that year, but I couldn't hit it as straight or as long as the driver I had at the time.

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 12:19 PM, cnosil said:

Okay, you don’t like the irons but bought them anyway. Nothing wrong with not liking purchased clubs but that doesn’t make them overrated. Perhaps just a bad fit for your swing.

Can’t answer why they sold for the price they did on eBay. Could have been that it is off-season, the clubs were in poor condition, smaller market for the light graphite shafts, or just because that is what they sell for used.

It was more than likely the shafts--- A lot of that depends on demographics--- Down here those would have sold at a good price in a NY minute

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 1/27/2021 at 1:42 PM, RobbyT said:

I don't think they are overrated, they probably are just not for you. For example with me, the M5 might have been the best driver of that year, but I couldn't hit it as straight or as long as the driver I had at the time.

Goes to show everyone is different--- I ended up with a M-6 on a trade deal and love the thing. Honestly I never would have thought so--- It is a straight cannon for me--- Have not seen a lot of love for the M-6 on here or WRX

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Goes to show everyone is different--- I ended up with a M-6 on a trade deal and love the thing. Honestly I never would have thought so--- It is a straight cannon for me--- Have not seen a lot of love for the M-6 on here or WRX

All in the eye of the beholder. It seems to me that most people are head over heels for the SIM. Not saying the M5 or M6 isn’t good but for some reason when everyone got word of the SIM they were out of favor quickly 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

10 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

All in the eye of the beholder. It seems to me that most people are head over heels for the SIM. Not saying the M5 or M6 isn’t good but for some reason when everyone got word of the SIM they were out of favor quickly 

Yep that is the way it goes in the mainstream world but the manufacturers love it that way. Me right or wrong I march to the beat of my own drum

G