Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Vice Pro

Golfspy_CG2

Here's one of the popular DTC balls.  Share your thoughts below.

a photo of the 2020 Vice Pro golf ball

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-vice-pro-golf-ball-review/

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

More great information from Tony.  I've found an played a few Vice Pro and Pro Plus balls and they seem pretty good. Like Snell, they offer a much more price competitive option to the Titleist, Bridgestone, Srixon, etc. tour balls. To be honest, I'd have a hard time paying 30+% more for the the BIG name balls.

The more I read about these tests, discussions in the forum, and the NPG staff, the more I'm questioning how much several of these measured attributes really matter to the vast majority of users?  For instance, at what amount of off center core concentricity will we notice adverse performance?  Don't get me wrong, I love that MGS is serving as an independent referee on "claimed vs. actual" ball quality, but can some of these differences between mfg.'s. and balls be summed up as "picking the fly dung out of the pepper"?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

What I really enjoy about this report is that you have the two generation of ball on compare here, which is nice to see. What's nicer to see is that the reported jump in quality from the first generation to the second, show people are willing to listen and adjust. Seems a solid ball for those who which to embrace their Vice!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Ingo Duellmann was on The Par Train podcast right before Christmas.  It's very interesting to hear him go through the formation of the company and how they got to where they are now.  Give it a listen.  It's episode #112.

Spoiler, the original name of the Vice ball was Flake!

14 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I switched to the Vice Pro about a year ago from the MTB-X to get more spin around the small greens at my home club.  I love it.

I find the Vice Pro is very similar in performance to the Bridgestone Tour B XS which has been my gamer for the past year. The biggest reason why I haven't continued to use the Vice Pro and replaced it with the Bridgestone is because of the finish. I just hate the matte(ish) finish on the Vice balls.

After looking at all the various tests and learning more about ball performance and design though, I'm thinking I may be making a permanent switch to Snell. I've played Snell before and loved the performance, but didn't like the feel. Well, I just ordered a test pack because I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of feel if it will give me the performance I need at the price I want. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Sounds like they've improved, but still aren't worth the MSRP to me when last years Srixon and Bridgestone tour level balls can be found for around $25 a dozen.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

On 1/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, fixyurdivot said:

The more I read about these tests, discussions in the forum, and the NPG staff, the more I'm questioning how much several of these measured attributes really matter to the vast majority of users?  For instance, at what amount of off center core concentricity will we notice adverse performance?

Here's my thoughts on it. I've been using a "Value" metric for the ball lab quick reference which is just the inverse of what Tony uses to show the difference between True Price and MSRP (MSRP/TP=Value vs. TP/MSRP=% Over Retail). If you look at that Value metric the same as you would a grading scale, then anything 80% and up is above average. Now, because the real world doesn't quite work that way and it is reasonable to expect more from manufacturing, I'd consider anything north of say 85% or 88% to be a decent quality ball. I mean at that point we're talking about 1-2 bad balls per dozen which IMO isn't bad, and in the real world, it doesn't actually work that way - you might get a perfect dozen this time, and the next have 3 bad balls, then 1 bad ball, then 0 bad balls, and so forth. You could even get multiple dozens of perfectly serviceable golf balls before you ever come across one bad ball.

So based on that criteria, any of the following balls would be worth testing and putting into your bag:

• Bridgestone Tour B RX
  • Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • Callaway Chromesoft X
  • Maxfli Tour
  • Snell MTB-X
  • Srixon Z-Star
  • Taylormade TP5
  • Taylormade TP5X
  • Titleist -ProV1x
  • Titleist ProV1
  • Vice Pro

And there are still 16 urethane balls to test not including new releases such as the new ProV1 & ProV1x and Srixon is getting ready to drop a new ball as well.

6 minutes ago, crw said:

Sounds like they've improved, but still aren't worth the MSRP to me when last years Srixon and Bridgestone tour level balls can be found for around $25 a dozen.

While you can find those deals, they aren't always available - especially for Bridgestone, it's more common with Srixon (and it may not be the current gen ball). You can always purchase 5 dozen Vice Pro balls at $26.99/dozen through their website.

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

While you can find those deals, they aren't always available - especially for Bridgestone, it's more common with Srixon (and it may not be the current gen ball). You can always purchase 5 dozen Vice Pro balls at $26.99/dozen through their website.

In my opinion, Vice Pro/Pro Plus and Snell MTB-X and MTB-B are comparable to any ball on the market.  It's just a matter of which ball fits your expectations better and gives the necessary performance where you want to see it most.  For me, I want the most performance around the small greens of my home club.  I'm willing to sacrifice a few yards of distance off the tee to get that additional spin and control.  It's an added bonus to get the incredible feel of the Vice Pro.

Getting a bulk rate of $26.99 for Vice or $29.99 for Snell makes these balls even more appealing.  Especially considering you really aren't losing performance by not using a major OEM Tour ball.

I liked the Vice Pro+ when I tried a dozen last year. I considered buying in bulk but I stumbled onto the Spalding Tour ball from Walmart that sells for $25 MSRP or $18/dozen today (great deal!). The Spalding Tour balls had identical on course performance and I had the added benefit of not having to buy in bulk. I can just snag a dozen or two if I'm in Walmart. I don't know the quality of the ball but I haven't noticed anything odd in the few dozen I've gone through. The box says they were made in Vietnam. I would recommend these balls to anyone who isn't playing competitively and just wants a good urethane ball. I have yet to see anyone test these balls on a launch monitor but they seem to perform well for me. 

While I love the MTB-X that I play, I'll have to try a package of Vice just to see the difference. At the course we play in Florida, they have a vending machine with Vice golf balls. 

IMG_7815.jpg.1c57556734f5ddf0e6d12a44178528d9.jpg

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

One of my golfing buddies swears by the Vice pro: the ball lab seems to validate his loyalty. I’ve switched ball brands so many times in the last 2 years:
Chromesoft | Q star Tour | ZStar | ZStar XV | chromesoft X | and finally Snell MTB-X

I’m done testing, the Vice might well be the equal of all the balls I’ve gamed over the last 2 years, but I’m done dating. Time to dance with the girl I brought...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I have 5 dozen in my basement that I got for Christmas, good thing the report came out positive!! 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Ive played this ball a few times in the past and its a good ball.  I find that it performs well and seems fairly durable.  I have found that wedge shots will scuff the cover over time but Id say that goes for pretty much any urethane covered ball.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Still most interested in Snell for the DTC balls, but it's good to know this is a quality option and I wouldn't hesitate putting one in play. Also encouraging to see the improvement between generations.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Wonder if the quality improvements with companies like Vice and Callaway are the result of MGS ball test both 2019 and 2020. We're getting a level of transparency into golf ball quality not previously seen.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I played a few sleeves of Vice several years ago. Loved the feel but the durability wasn't there for me. But it's encouraging to see improvement with most recent testing. Might have to try again. While I game Snell I still buy just about everything else to test and use in my golf net.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app