Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Slowing my swing Down

Hey guys,

At the range today, and I really need to slow my swing speed down!

The reason being is I done some half 8 iron shots, soft and in tempo, hit it 95+ % perfect and still travelled a distance, I couldn’t believe it!

so I’m trying to input this into my full swing, but near all the time I turn back into the habit of smashing it, not only does my accuracy suffer, but doesn’t gain much more yardage either tbh..

if anyone has drills or techniques to help with this issue I would be very great full.

DRIVER: Taylormade RBZ Tour 9 degree

3W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

5W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

4 Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ reg.

Irons: Wilson Staff D7 Forged (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey SM6 52, 56 and 60

Putter: Cleveland - Huntington Beach #3

Ball: -

So I can relate regarding rhythm and tempo with long clubs to short ones. Something I have battled for years. No swing expert here. There are numerous examples of discussions in MGS forums in which people chronicle their swing journey and methodologies. Good reads and hopefully many will chime in here.

With that stated I am currently listening, researching what Mike Adams teaches regarding how one swings based on physical characteristics including something I think is pretty cool, how we walk or rather our pace can possibly dictate how our swing tempo/rhythm should function. I won't try to explain as to be honest I am still in research/test mode.

What I will convey is another instructor of mine was adamant ones sequence (i.e. all moves in the back swing to transition down) greatly affects timing and rhythm/tempo. So with me a longer club revealed swing/transition inconsistencies vs my short irons. So I worked on hitting my positions better with a longer club which may or may not have felt slower or controlled vs a natural smooth swing with say my eight iron......Again sure others will share info. Good luck. 

12 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

So I can relate regarding rhythm and tempo with long clubs to short ones. Something I have battled for years. No swing expert here. There are numerous examples of discussions in MGS forums in which people chronicle their swing journey and methodologies. Good reads and hopefully many will chime in here.

With that stated I am currently listening, researching what Mike Adams teaches regarding how one swings based on physical characteristics including something I think is pretty cool, how we walk or rather our pace can possibly dictate how our swing tempo/rhythm should function. I won't try to explain as to be honest I am still in research/test mode.

What I will convey is another instructor of mine was adamant ones sequence (i.e. all moves in the back swing to transition down) greatly affects timing and rhythm/tempo. So with me a longer club revealed swing/transition inconsistencies vs my short irons. So I worked on hitting my positions better with a longer club which may or may not have felt slower or controlled vs a natural smooth swing with say my eight iron......Again sure others will share info. Good luck. 

This is pretty good input. Mike Adams example of walking is right on. He says if you want to walk fast you move your arms faster, same in the swing. But as you mention in the second paragraph sequencing is a key part to all of it. 

This video may help

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

As noted above, sequencing & transition are key. I know this because I struggle with them and have worked on them in lessons 😄 It's really, I mean REALLY, rare for people to be told to swing slower, it may be more that you have an overswing and when you feel like you're swinging slower, you're more in sequence which gives you a better weight transfer, has the face closer to square, etc. It could be that when you're trying to "smash it" you're going way too far back and you can't get synced up on the downswing. That's personally what I struggle with, especially with longer clubs. If you have a pro that can put some eyes on your swing, that may be your best best. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

As noted above, sequencing & transition are key. I know this because I struggle with them and have worked on them in lessons 😄 It's really, I mean REALLY, rare for people to be told to swing slower, it may be more that you have an overswing and when you feel like you're swinging slower, you're more in sequence which gives you a better weight transfer, has the face closer to square, etc. It could be that when you're trying to "smash it" you're going way too far back and you can't get synced up on the downswing. That's personally what I struggle with, especially with longer clubs. If you have a pro that can put some eyes on your swing, that may be your best best. 

Good point.  More than ever, we seem to have leaped into the fast swing speed = goodness era.  But, fast swing speed with poor sequence = no Bueno.  99% of pros have great to excellent sequencing and can put the fast swing speed to good use.... consistently (keyword here).  I personally struggle with fast tempo and constantly have to remind myself to slow down.  My turn is somewhat limited and for the longest time I felt I had to extend that to get distance... nope, not the case. Tony Finau is my hero 😄The video provided is excellent and offers some simple tools to improving something a lot of us amateurs struggle with. Good thread/topic @Zeebedy.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I’ve been playing with the same concept.

It started with me about a month ago when I was in some trees left of the fairway on a par 5 with some very narrow openings. I took my 6 iron and took a very slow 3/4 swing and caught it perfectly....the ball came out dead straight and went about 95% of the normal distance of my stock 6 iron.

I decided I could give up a few yards for a nice consistent ball flight.

It’s still a workin progress because I catch myself decelerating into the ball sometimes which leads to chucks.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Good point.  More than ever, we seem to have leaped into the fast swing speed = goodness era.  But, fast swing speed with poor sequence = no Bueno.  99% of pros have great to excellent sequencing and can put the fast swing speed to good use.... consistently (keyword here).  I personally struggle with fast tempo and constantly have to remind myself to slow down.  My turn is somewhat limited and for the longest time I felt I had to extend that to get distance... nope, not the case. Tony Finau is my hero 😄The video provided is excellent and offers some simple tools to improving something a lot of us amateurs struggle with. Good thread/topic @Zeebedy.  

Spot on. I have the same issues re: slowing down and overextending my backswing. My instructor has me extend the back swing so my arms are roughly in the 9:00 position. Anything beyond that and I can't seem to square up the face on impact resulting in a slice or hook. I also sometimes compound  the overextension with a fast backswing and for me at least that's the formula for trouble.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

29 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Spot on. I have the same issue re: slowing down and overextending my backswing. My instructor has me extend the back swing so my arms are roughly in the 9:00 position. Anything beyond that and I can't seem to square up the face on impact resulting in a slice or hook. I also sometimes compound  the overextension with a fast backswing and for me at least that's the formula for trouble.  

I have also worked on the same thing in lessons. The feel I was given was to feel like my hands go to just above my waist, when in actuality they're at shoulder level. But that keeps me from going way too far in the backswing. Hands to waist, weight in heel and feel tension in inner rear thigh, then fire away. It works well with irons but as I mentioned above, as soon as I have a fairway or driver in hand, it's tough because I think "oh I need to go back farther to generate MORE SPEED!!!!!!" and I start spraying the ball.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've hit driver on my SC200 launch monitor with the thought "make the slowest swing possible" but the intention of still making a normal swing. I lost maybe 2-3 MPH of clubhead speed, but contact seemed to be more centered. It's a good feel to play around with, for me it resulted in leaving my upper body behind and starting the transition with the hips which helps to avoid OTT. The speed seemed to increase by the hips speeding up to balance out the slower upper body. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0