Jump to content

Slowing my swing Down


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Hey guys,

At the range today, and I really need to slow my swing speed down!

The reason being is I done some half 8 iron shots, soft and in tempo, hit it 95+ % perfect and still travelled a distance, I couldn’t believe it!

so I’m trying to input this into my full swing, but near all the time I turn back into the habit of smashing it, not only does my accuracy suffer, but doesn’t gain much more yardage either tbh..

if anyone has drills or techniques to help with this issue I would be very great full.

  • Like 2

DRIVER: Taylormade RBZ Tour 9 degree

3W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

5W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

4 Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ reg.

Irons: Wilson Staff D7 Forged (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey SM6 52, 56 and 60

Putter: Cleveland - Huntington Beach #3

Ball: -

Link to post

So I can relate regarding rhythm and tempo with long clubs to short ones. Something I have battled for years. No swing expert here. There are numerous examples of discussions in MGS forums in which people chronicle their swing journey and methodologies. Good reads and hopefully many will chime in here.

With that stated I am currently listening, researching what Mike Adams teaches regarding how one swings based on physical characteristics including something I think is pretty cool, how we walk or rather our pace can possibly dictate how our swing tempo/rhythm should function. I won't try to explain as to be honest I am still in research/test mode.

What I will convey is another instructor of mine was adamant ones sequence (i.e. all moves in the back swing to transition down) greatly affects timing and rhythm/tempo. So with me a longer club revealed swing/transition inconsistencies vs my short irons. So I worked on hitting my positions better with a longer club which may or may not have felt slower or controlled vs a natural smooth swing with say my eight iron......Again sure others will share info. Good luck. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
12 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

So I can relate regarding rhythm and tempo with long clubs to short ones. Something I have battled for years. No swing expert here. There are numerous examples of discussions in MGS forums in which people chronicle their swing journey and methodologies. Good reads and hopefully many will chime in here.

With that stated I am currently listening, researching what Mike Adams teaches regarding how one swings based on physical characteristics including something I think is pretty cool, how we walk or rather our pace can possibly dictate how our swing tempo/rhythm should function. I won't try to explain as to be honest I am still in research/test mode.

What I will convey is another instructor of mine was adamant ones sequence (i.e. all moves in the back swing to transition down) greatly affects timing and rhythm/tempo. So with me a longer club revealed swing/transition inconsistencies vs my short irons. So I worked on hitting my positions better with a longer club which may or may not have felt slower or controlled vs a natural smooth swing with say my eight iron......Again sure others will share info. Good luck. 

This is pretty good input. Mike Adams example of walking is right on. He says if you want to walk fast you move your arms faster, same in the swing. But as you mention in the second paragraph sequencing is a key part to all of it. 
 

This video may help

 

  • Like 5

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post

As noted above, sequencing & transition are key. I know this because I struggle with them and have worked on them in lessons 😄 It's really, I mean REALLY, rare for people to be told to swing slower, it may be more that you have an overswing and when you feel like you're swinging slower, you're more in sequence which gives you a better weight transfer, has the face closer to square, etc. It could be that when you're trying to "smash it" you're going way too far back and you can't get synced up on the downswing. That's personally what I struggle with, especially with longer clubs. If you have a pro that can put some eyes on your swing, that may be your best best. 

  • Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

 

Link to post

I don't know anyone that wants to swing slower.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to post

Where was this 4 hours ago? Was literally topping every driver and striping anything else. Definitely feeling out of sorts with sequence

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

WITB

G400 10.5 

M2 3HL

Titleist 818 3 and 4 hybrid 

Ping G15 5-gap

Vokey SM7 54 degrees 

Vokey SM6 58 degrees 

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

Link to post

Go to the 11 minute mark and watch the drill about proper backswing length. It will probably help your sequence and consistency with minimal change in distance. 

 

  • Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G410 4-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

Link to post
2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

As noted above, sequencing & transition are key. I know this because I struggle with them and have worked on them in lessons 😄 It's really, I mean REALLY, rare for people to be told to swing slower, it may be more that you have an overswing and when you feel like you're swinging slower, you're more in sequence which gives you a better weight transfer, has the face closer to square, etc. It could be that when you're trying to "smash it" you're going way too far back and you can't get synced up on the downswing. That's personally what I struggle with, especially with longer clubs. If you have a pro that can put some eyes on your swing, that may be your best best. 

Good point.  More than ever, we seem to have leaped into the fast swing speed = goodness era.  But, fast swing speed with poor sequence = no Bueno.  99% of pros have great to excellent sequencing and can put the fast swing speed to good use.... consistently (keyword here).  I personally struggle with fast tempo and constantly have to remind myself to slow down.  My turn is somewhat limited and for the longest time I felt I had to extend that to get distance... nope, not the case. Tony Finau is my hero 😄The video provided is excellent and offers some simple tools to improving something a lot of us amateurs struggle with. Good thread/topic @Zeebedy.  

  • Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post

I’ve been playing with the same concept.

It started with me about a month ago when I was in some trees left of the fairway on a par 5 with some very narrow openings. I took my 6 iron and took a very slow 3/4 swing and caught it perfectly....the ball came out dead straight and went about 95% of the normal distance of my stock 6 iron.

I decided I could give up a few yards for a nice consistent ball flight.

It’s still a workin progress because I catch myself decelerating into the ball sometimes which leads to chucks.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

 

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB



Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Link to post
15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Good point.  More than ever, we seem to have leaped into the fast swing speed = goodness era.  But, fast swing speed with poor sequence = no Bueno.  99% of pros have great to excellent sequencing and can put the fast swing speed to good use.... consistently (keyword here).  I personally struggle with fast tempo and constantly have to remind myself to slow down.  My turn is somewhat limited and for the longest time I felt I had to extend that to get distance... nope, not the case. Tony Finau is my hero 😄The video provided is excellent and offers some simple tools to improving something a lot of us amateurs struggle with. Good thread/topic @Zeebedy.  

Spot on. I have the same issues re: slowing down and overextending my backswing. My instructor has me extend the back swing so my arms are roughly in the 9:00 position. Anything beyond that and I can't seem to square up the face on impact resulting in a slice or hook. I also sometimes compound  the overextension with a fast backswing and for me at least that's the formula for trouble.  

  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to post
29 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Spot on. I have the same issue re: slowing down and overextending my backswing. My instructor has me extend the back swing so my arms are roughly in the 9:00 position. Anything beyond that and I can't seem to square up the face on impact resulting in a slice or hook. I also sometimes compound  the overextension with a fast backswing and for me at least that's the formula for trouble.  

I have also worked on the same thing in lessons. The feel I was given was to feel like my hands go to just above my waist, when in actuality they're at shoulder level. But that keeps me from going way too far in the backswing. Hands to waist, weight in heel and feel tension in inner rear thigh, then fire away. It works well with irons but as I mentioned above, as soon as I have a fairway or driver in hand, it's tough because I think "oh I need to go back farther to generate MORE SPEED!!!!!!" and I start spraying the ball.

  • Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

 

Link to post

I've hit driver on my SC200 launch monitor with the thought "make the slowest swing possible" but the intention of still making a normal swing. I lost maybe 2-3 MPH of clubhead speed, but contact seemed to be more centered. It's a good feel to play around with, for me it resulted in leaving my upper body behind and starting the transition with the hips which helps to avoid OTT. The speed seemed to increase by the hips speeding up to balance out the slower upper body. 

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/5H

:ping-small: G410 4-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...