Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Putter grip change

Watchnut33

Putting has always been the best part of my game. I love my putter, I’ve had it for about 7 years and i can’t imagine a scenario where I’d get rid of it. 

I recently had it re gripped from the standard grip I’ve always had to a mid sized grip and I can’t seem to hit a straight putt anymore. I’m pulling everything left and it’s driving me nuts. 

How long do I give it before I go back to a standard grip? 

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

1 minute ago, Watchnut33 said:

Putting has always been the best part of my game. I love my putter, I’ve had it for about 7 years and i can’t imagine a scenario where I’d get rid of it. 

I recently had it re gripped from the standard grip I’ve always had to a mid sized grip and I can’t seem to hit a straight putt anymore. I’m pulling everything left and it’s driving me nuts. 

How long do I give it before I go back to a standard grip? 

I'd go back to the original grip now.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I'd go back to the original grip now.  

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it? Probably shouldn’t have made the change to begin with. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

14 minutes ago, Watchnut33 said:

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it? Probably shouldn’t have made the change to begin with. 

If you were trying to change something then making a change is ok.  By changing the grip you changed the dynamics of the putter which impacts your stroke.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you were trying to change something then making a change is ok.  By changing the grip you changed the dynamics of the putter which impacts your stroke.  

I’m pretty sure I overthought the whole process. My grip was pretty worn and needed replacing. I went to mid size grips on all my other clubs and thought it might make sense on my putter too. I hated the new grip almost immediately, but thought it would just take an adjustment period. 2 rounds and a lot of practice later and I’m still hating it, so you’re right I should change  back. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

I went from a pistol style grip (BestGrips pistol) and had been putting really well up until the late 2000s/early 2010s.  I found that I had developed a twitch with my right hand, the dreaded Yips.  I went to a Salty Mid-Plus grip and this solved my Yip problem and I have never putted better, at least not in 2-3 decades.  The Salty grip being a thicker, non-tapered grip removed my uncontrolled twitch of the right hand making it really passive.  It is pretty easy to get the ball started on the line every time.  The putter head releases as it is designed to with my stroke.  I have confidence that if I have the right line and pace I can make putts from 20, 30 and even have a chance at the occasional putt from beyond.  The problem is getting the absolute correct line and pace.

For me it was changing the grip to remedy the putting flaw I had developed.  Word of advise to all golfers, don't get older.  Stay young!!!  😉

BestGrips Pistol.jpg

Salty Grips.jpg

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

What made you think to try a different sized grip? As said, if it ain't broke etc etc.

I've just made a putter for myself and decided to try a slightly bigger grip compared to my old putter. I've not played properly for years so I don't think a grip change would have an immediate effect on my putting (which was OK with the old one) as I'm almost starting from fresh again so can start to get a feel with the new grip, not really worrying about how the old one felt. 

Sounds like you were happy with the old size, I'd just change back if it were me. 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Usually a new grip that isn't the same weight as the original will result in distance control being off.. All putts tending to one sided miss makes me think that the grip just isn't straight.

Was the grip that you replaced it with, the same weight? Also worth checking the alignment of the grip.

I always do my own grip and use a laser line to get the alignment perfect. 1 or 2° can have you missing the hole instead of dropping the ball in the centre of the cup at 8ft.

D | :cobra-small: | SZ Xtreme 10.5° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 60g | Setting: STD-Draw
3W | :ping-small: | 2014 Rapture 13° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 70g | Setting: 13.5°
3H | :Sub70: |  939X 19° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g | Setting: STD
4i-7i | :srixon-small: | Z585 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
8i-PW | :srixon-small: | Z785 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
W's | :cleveland-small: | RTX-4 - 52° MID, 56° FULL, 60° FULL
P | :odyssey-small: | TripleTrack - Double Wide - GP SNSR Tour Grip
B | :bridgestone-small: | Tour B XS /or/ :srixon-small: | Z-Star
G | GP Z-Grip

4 hours ago, DStar said:

What made you think to try a different sized grip? As said, if it ain't broke etc etc.

I've just made a putter for myself and decided to try a slightly bigger grip compared to my old putter. I've not played properly for years so I don't think a grip change would have an immediate effect on my putting (which was OK with the old one) as I'm almost starting from fresh again so can start to get a feel with the new grip, not really worrying about how the old one felt. 

Sounds like you were happy with the old size, I'd just change back if it were me. 

I have big hands and as I’ve gotten a little older I’ve gone to slightly larger grips to help keep them from hurting when I play. I use a reverse overlap putting grip that is fine on the course but when I practice it can cause hand cramping and soreness. I thought a larger grip would help. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

3 hours ago, ryanokeefe said:

Usually a new grip that isn't the same weight as the original will result in distance control being off.. All putts tending to one sided miss makes me think that the grip just isn't straight.

Was the grip that you replaced it with, the same weight? Also worth checking the alignment of the grip.

I always do my own grip and use a laser line to get the alignment perfect. 1 or 2° can have you missing the hole instead of dropping the ball in the centre of the cup at 8ft.

The new grip is slightly heavier, and the alignment crossed my mind as well. My practice mat allows me to practice 10’ putts and I’m missing everything half a ball to the left which is definitely abnormal for me. 

im pretty sure I’m just going to go back to a standard putting grip like i had before and get it back on track. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Even 2 grips with similar diameter and weight can cause noticeable change in your stroke if the shape or profile is different. I interact way different with a SuperStroke Flatso than the traditional MidSlim profile and it was measured using the CAPTO system. 

I would find the same, or as similar grip to your old one as possible and probably avoid the putter in the meantime so you don't engrain bad habits or compensations unless you have to use it while playing. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

3 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Even 2 grips with similar diameter and weight can cause noticeable change in your stroke if the shape or profile is different. I interact way different with a SuperStroke Flatso than the traditional MidSlim profile and it was measured using the CAPTO system. 

I would find the same, or as similar grip to your old one as possible and probably avoid the putter in the meantime so you don't engrain bad habits or compensations unless you have to use it while playing. 

Fortunately it’s easy to buy Ping putter grips so I should be able to get the identical grip to the old one. Unfortunately I just tested positive for covid so I’m home bound for at least 10 days and my putting mat is staring at me. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

3 hours ago, Watchnut33 said:

Fortunately it’s easy to buy Ping putter grips so I should be able to get the identical grip to the old one. Unfortunately I just tested positive for covid so I’m home bound for at least 10 days and my putting mat is staring at me. 

Just putt one handed then lol and work on mechanics. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Since I’m stuck in quarantine I decided to mess around with this putter and see if I can work it out. I found that with the larger grip I needed to lessen my overlap and not grip as tightly as I did with a smaller grip. After some trial and error I’m back to making putts again. I’ve set a goal of 100 consecutive 8’ putts while I’m quarantined this week, so far 32 is my best, and I can get to 20 pretty consistently. 

F449FD5E-8328-4AFD-8B11-320C47A85C08.jpeg

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Since I’m stuck in quarantine I decided to mess around with this putter and see if I can work it out. I found that with the larger grip I needed to lessen my overlap and not grip as tightly as I did with a smaller grip. After some trial and error I’m back to making putts again. I’ve set a goal of 100 consecutive 8’ putts while I’m quarantined this week, so far 32 is my best, and I can get to 20 pretty consistently. 
F449FD5E-8328-4AFD-8B11-320C47A85C08.jpeg.796ae3927cfbe25d5eaf7d1ee5cae862.jpeg
That's impressive. No way I could drop that many 8 footers in a row. Is that all you do for practice? Just roll 8 footer after 8 footer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

56 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

That's impressive. No way I could drop that many 8 footers in a row. Is that all you do for practice? Just roll 8 footer after 8 footer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When I practice at home 9’ is the max length I can go on either of my mats. I usually practice 4 and 6 footers too. If I can make that many 8’ putts I’ll know I’m consistently keeping my starting line where it needs to be, so when I get out on the course I just need to read my putt, line up my ball and keep my starting line on point and I should be making my putts again.

My arccos putting putting handicap is 1.6, I want to get it to +3 or 4. My goal is to get my average putts per round down to 28. I’m at 32 now. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

On 2/1/2021 at 8:13 AM, Watchnut33 said:

F449FD5E-8328-4AFD-8B11-320C47A85C08.jpeg

It's worth noting that those carpet/velvet style mats will hold a 'groove' that the proceeding balls will follow, especially when using them on a soft carpet surface below.
You'll find that if you miss one slightly left, the next few will be slightly left as well. If you make one, it will be easier to make the next putts.

D | :cobra-small: | SZ Xtreme 10.5° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 60g | Setting: STD-Draw
3W | :ping-small: | 2014 Rapture 13° - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 70g | Setting: 13.5°
3H | :Sub70: |  939X 19° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 90g | Setting: STD
4i-7i | :srixon-small: | Z585 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
8i-PW | :srixon-small: | Z785 - Nippon Modus 3 120X | 2° Upright, STD Length
W's | :cleveland-small: | RTX-4 - 52° MID, 56° FULL, 60° FULL
P | :odyssey-small: | TripleTrack - Double Wide - GP SNSR Tour Grip
B | :bridgestone-small: | Tour B XS /or/ :srixon-small: | Z-Star
G | GP Z-Grip

• 4 weeks later...

An update here: after all the extra practice during quarantine I decided to keep the new grip. I finally got out on the course again this weekend and I’m glad I did. My putting stroke is in a really good place right now, I’m hitting my start line consistently and feel like I can make almost any putt. 

Now I need to get my driver back in line...

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge