TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best putter shaft?

Hi, i wanna change my putter shaft because its quite old. However i don’t know what is good and offer the best feel.

ive heard that stability putter shaft is really good but i dont like the look of it. 

i see tiger playing some kind of tapered shaft. (Does anyone know what that shaft is?)

thanks for your helps!

41 minutes ago, Baoooooo said:

Hi, i wanna change my putter shaft because its quite old. However i don’t know what is good and offer the best feel.

ive heard that stability putter shaft is really good but i dont like the look of it. 

i see tiger playing some kind of tapered shaft. (Does anyone know what that shaft is?)

thanks for your helps!

Old shouldn't matter;  they don't wear out.  What do you want to accomplish?   Feel is subjective becuase what feels good to you may feel terrible to me.  There really isn't a bad putter shaft.   

i have a stability shaft in my putter and wouldn't get another one;  doesn't do much for me.   Others like it a lot.  KBD has come out with some putter shafts.  The CT shaft has been around for a few years and is starting to be standard in a lot of putters.   They also have a one step shaft that should be coming out this year.  

I am pretty sure tiger plays a  True Temper YSC putter shaft. .355 taper tip shaft;  he like a more flexible shaft in his putter.    That tip size is pretty unique to Cameron or smaller boutique putter makers.  These shafts aren't easy to find anymore.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

59 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Old shouldn't matter;  they don't wear out.  What do you want to accomplish?   Feel is subjective becuase what feels good to you may feel terrible to me.  There really isn't a bad putter shaft.   

i have a stability shaft in my putter and wouldn't get another one;  doesn't do much for me.   Others like it a lot.  KBD has come out with some putter shafts.  The CT shaft has been around for a few years and is starting to be standard in a lot of putters.   They also have a one step shaft that should be coming out this year.  

I am pretty sure tiger plays a  True Temper YSC putter shaft. .355 taper tip shaft;  he like a more flexible shaft in his putter.    That tip size is pretty unique to Cameron or smaller boutique putter makers.  These shafts aren't easy to find anymore.

I second this. Nippon makes a putter shaft in .355 and it comes in 136 gr. and 149 gr. in raw weight. Both of these are heavier than True Temper, which I think is around 120 gr. raw weight. A heavier weighted putter shaft can reduce the swing weight of the putter in relation to the head weight, so it you want more head feel, a lighter shaft can accomplish this.

The only way a putter shaft could go bad is if it was bent or had gotten moisture through the grip hole and rusted from the inside. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

I really like the stroke lab shafts - was able to pick up a couple shafts as well as a few donor putters that gave up their shafts - I find it to be an interesting  feeling - probably similar to stability - nice head weight feeling and smooth balance for me 

Stroke lab and stability shaft are really two different animals. The stability shaft is designed for heavier heads to reduce shaft deflection and twisting. Stroke lab was designed to move weight from the shaft to the head and grip ends to control total weight.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

To add onto this, feel is also so subjective and diverse because the putter you're using is different from mine or cnosil's. I use an old Odyssey White Hot Pro blade putter. So my opinion of a heavier vs. lighter shaft affecting feel in my putter would change immensely as compared to the shaft in a mallett putter or even one of the modern blade putters with adjustable weights. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Stroke lab and stability shaft are really two different animals. The stability shaft is designed for heavier heads to reduce shaft deflection and twisting. Stroke lab was designed to move weight from the shaft to the head and grip ends to control total weight.

Thanks - good clarification 👍

15 hours ago, BKordon said:

I second this. Nippon makes a putter shaft in .355 and it comes in 136 gr. and 149 gr. in raw weight. Both of these are heavier than True Temper, which I think is around 120 gr. raw weight. A heavier weighted putter shaft can reduce the swing weight of the putter in relation to the head weight, so it you want more head feel, a lighter shaft can accomplish this.

The only way a putter shaft could go bad is if it was bent or had gotten moisture through the grip hole and rusted from the inside. 

I thought heavier shaft weight always increased swing weight if comparing 1 piece steel or graphite if head and grip were constant... The Stability and Stroke Lab shafts could be different due to a non-uniform weight distribution. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

3 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I thought heavier shaft weight always increased swing weight if comparing 1 piece steel or graphite if head and grip were constant... The Stability and Stroke Lab shafts could be different due to a non-uniform weight distribution. 

It will increase the overall weight of the putter, but that does not directly translate to swing weight. I am in the process of replacing a KBS putter shaft that weighs 115 gr. in a Miura putter head that the swing weight measured F2. By adding a 149gr. putter shaft, I should be able to drop the swing weight into the D8 range, and by counterbalancing with the grip, I can get it to D5, which is where I need it. The overall weight of the club will go up significantly however. I cannot speak to the stability shaft, as I have never used one. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

4 hours ago, BKordon said:

It will increase the overall weight of the putter, but that does not directly translate to swing weight. I am in the process of replacing a KBS putter shaft that weighs 115 gr. in a Miura putter head that the swing weight measured F2. By adding a 149gr. putter shaft, I should be able to drop the swing weight into the D8 range, and by counterbalancing with the grip, I can get it to D5, which is where I need it. The overall weight of the club will go up significantly however. I cannot speak to the stability shaft, as I have never used one. 

I am pretty sure shaft weight impacts swing weight.  Found some documentation that says an increase of 9 grams will increase 1 swingweight point and decrease of 9 grams will drop swingweight by 1 point.  You also have to look at balance point;  for example each of the stability shafts have a different balance point. 

On 1/29/2021 at 9:51 AM, cnosil said:

Completely agree - I was part of the MGS testing for stroke lab and while it provides a bit better feel and a tiny bit of help on stroke.

The stability shaft makes it much easier to make a consistent stroke for me.  Feel is a little down, but only slightly from a regular shaft.  The benefit of a consistent stroke when I'm getting a bit yippy outweigh anything else.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I agree with what most people have already said. I just want to throw in that there isn't really any poor performing putter shafts. The putter doesn't get swung fast enough to cause very much deflection. The only real differences in shafts most comes down to weight and how it is distributed. So, it's mostly all about your preference for feel. Additionally, if you want to try counterbalancing without changing shafts you can get counter balance grips or counterbalance weights you can put into the but end of your shaft if you like traditional grips.