Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Non-traditional Pro Swings

MNUte

So watching highlights from the first round of the Farmers Insurance Open, I was again pleasantly reminded that Jon Rahm is another "non-traditional" swinger. Rahm almost never goes past 9 o'clock in his backswing, has a pretty flat swing, and yet still gets power (multiple 295+ carry drives) and spin. 

Watching him, Matt Wolfe and others over the past few seasons have been helpful reinforcement of the idea that you can be successful without being 100 percent by the book. Between that and DJ's mantra of never hitting with more than 75% power (or whatever level you lose control beyond) has helped my game immensely. 

So who are some of your favorite "Non-traditional" swingers? And have you gained any insights or knowledge from watching them?

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I don’t believe in the concept of a “traditional swing”

Everyone has their own swing. Trevino, Jack, Arnie, Player. Seve, Norman, Tiger.

However they all do a good job at pressure shifts and getting the club in a good position in/around p6 and thru impact. They hall had different finishing positions too.

Many consider Adam Scott to have the “perfect” swing but if you listen to Gankas talk about his time Scott you’ll learn he had faults that he wanted to fix.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Pro’s might all be different at takeaway and at the top, but all virtually identical at impact...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

9 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Pro’s might all be different at takeaway and at the top, but all virtually identical at impact...

I don't think that's true:

2012-05 : Survey Of Impact Positions Of PGA Tour Players Target Line &  Front View

Dustin Johnson: The golf swing made simple – GolfWRX

EDIT: I'm not trying to be abrupt or confrontational. But that is a line I've read and heard often. It is certainly the case that there is more obvious variety in swings in the takeaway and transition then there is at impact. But there are still non-trivial variations at impact. I suspect it would be difficult for DJ to get from his backswing to Furyk's impact position and vice versa.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

2012-05 : Survey Of Impact Positions Of PGA Tour Players Target Line &  Front View

EDIT: I'm not trying to be abrupt or confrontational. But that is a line I've read and heard often. It is certainly the case that there is more obvious variety in swings in the takeaway and transition then there is at impact. But there are still non-trivial variations at impact. I suspect it would be difficult for DJ to get from his backswing to Furyk's impact position and vice versa.

I'm just still amazed that Furyk can get into Furyk's position at impact haha

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Yea they all have some uniqueness to their impact positions that match up with they wrist angles and the way the body has to rotate and release but at impact what you will find is the pressure on the lead leg, some amount of right bend for righties and left bend for lefties with some bend in the trail arm and shaft lean with irons. Hips are going to be open around 30* and shoulders starting to open.

There’s some exceptions like rickie whose hips stall because of his steeper shaft as a result of a flat back swing and he then has to throw arms/hands at the ball to square up

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Perhaps a better way to phrase things is that "all that matters is what happens at impact". There are lots of ways to deliver a club, some more efficient than others, however as long as the ball's being hit in a way where the face and club path match up to give the desired flight, then it's a good swing.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Perhaps a better way to phrase things is that "all that matters is what happens at impact". There are lots of ways to deliver a club, some more efficient than others, however as long as the ball's being hit in a way where the face and club path match up to give the desired flight, then it's a good swing.

I saw a spot on television a looong time ago where an instructor was making this very point. He kept hitting balls with the ugliest swings he could invent, but would square the club face and path up at impact. Really nice shots no matter what the swing looked like.

I wish I could remember who it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

1 hour ago, 00sportsman said:

I saw a spot on television a looong time ago where an instructor was making this very point. He kept hitting balls with the ugliest swings he could invent, but would square the club face and path up at impact. Really nice shots no matter what the swing looked like.

I wish I could remember who it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Young has been doing something similar recently.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKh4vyyJfmJ/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

VszDlFh5AQAz8V0nNTRDMIYzZ71rbU4_taR5vWVcIXkhWHSrZaMxEzBEjJgROTR9-33rPp6GxZ46ykJ_jMxC907ZVaPgZci1nXQOGfvO69_eL-OD7_gIbusI9xgZSeKV6QaXVxK_ziXytw8rh4Gt
MeandMyGolfDustinJohnson-1000x600.jpg

I wouldn’t take it from you as “confrontational”: I love that disagreement doesn’t mean a flame-fest here. I should clarify that what I mean is that most pro’s:
Cover the ball with their chest
Have forward shaft lean at impact
Continue rotating past impact
Club exits low and left
Like these gents...
IMG_3978.JPG

There are always exceptions of course

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I enjoy watching unusual swings. Bob Rosburg, Doug Sanders, Miller Barber, Lee Trevino, Jim Furyk, Matthew Wolf.  My favorite is Eamonn Darcy. Now, that is an odd looking swing. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I enjoyed watching Craig Stadler, Ray Floyd, Payne Stewart, Jim Furyk, Lee Trevino, Fred Couples and Bruce Lietzke. Lietzke grooved an over the top fade, which required little practice to maintain, and made a good living never playing more than 25 tournaments in a year. 

All had different swings, but all of them played well.

Edited by JalanK