TESTERS WANTED! ×

New irons, need advice

chippingwithchris

This past year marked 11 years since my last new set of irons. I played a set of ‘09 cobra pro forged combo set. I had many rounds with them but with the mental tolls of Covid and a favorable stimulus check I began the journey of new iron testing and fitting. 

First I started with a fitting at my local pro shop, spent the $100 for fitting with a non so confident golf swing and be recommended the callaway apex pros. My initial thoughts were these were too much of a blade for my liking and I didn’t get to try the taylormade lineup as word was they were coming out with new ones. So I waited to try the taylormade sand in the mean time I got some lessons. 

Fast forward two months, swing and ball striking are a lot better and I attended a TM fitting event at a local range. Got fitted for p7mc with project x 6.0 and placed the order. Prime California weather and plenty rounds of golf roll by and I finally received my order 3 months later at thanksgiving. 

Now I’ve played about 4-5 rounds and gone to the range 4-5 times with the new set and am feeling mixed emotions. First, I felt that I lost maybe 15-20 yards from old set to new. Now I’m unsure if this is subsequent to the colder weather I’ve been playing in or to the equipment. To address this, I’m thinking about going to get a gapping session to really know the data. Second, I feel even when I do get solid ball contact that my ball flight is higher than I’d like and the feel seems a bit more dull than when I got fitted. Third, for a few rounds I got a case of the shanks, not something you want to feel with a new set of irons.

Now I find myself looking up reviews and comparison videos of the p7mc to other brands. I am a titleist brand guy and have been contemplating to even make a switch to the t100s which was the second set recommended to me from my first fitting.

Any advice would be appreciated!  

Edited by chippingwithchris

WITB

Titleist TS3 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g

Titleist TS2 15 Diamana LTD S+ Blue 70g

P790 2i HZRDUS 100g

P7MC 3-P Project X 6.0 (lie -2)

Vokey Wedge 52, 58 (lie -2)

Scotty Cameron CA Monterey 

Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for?

1.  You went and got a fitting and didn't think the fitting gave you the best results.

2.  You went and got another fitting and were happy with the results.

3.  You got the clubs to the course and they aren't performing like you think they should.    You say they are shorter than your previous clubs: but no comparison to previous clubs.   Why do you think higher ball flight is bad?  Maybe you hit the prior irons too low and they rolled more to give you more total distance.   Feel is unique so I am not sure what "dull" really means.  Hitting the ball poorly isn't something anyone wants,  but we can hit the ball poorly after having years of success with a set of clubs.    

What were your performance expectations?  Did side by side comparison; during the fitting, with your current irons show improvement?  How do they compare at the range now?  Could it be that you are trying to hard to make the clubs perform which is resulting in poorer ball striking?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@cnosil nailed it. Weather is going to have an impact for sure but there’s too much data missing.

Whats the distance loss in carry from what you saw in the fitting to what you see on the course and range. If there was distance loss compared to your old irons you should have seen that there. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for?

1.  You went and got a fitting and didn't think the fitting gave you the best results.

2.  You went and got another fitting and were happy with the results.

3.  You got the clubs to the course and they aren't performing like you think they should.    You say they are shorter than your previous clubs: but no comparison to previous clubs.   Why do you think higher ball flight is bad?  Maybe you hit the prior irons too low and they rolled more to give you more total distance.   Feel is unique so I am not sure what "dull" really means.  Hitting the ball poorly isn't something anyone wants,  but we can hit the ball poorly after having years of success with a set of clubs.    

What were your performance expectations?  Did side by side comparison; during the fitting, with your current irons show improvement?  How do they compare at the range now?  Could it be that you are trying to hard to make the clubs perform which is resulting in poorer ball striking?

Thanks for the response @cnosil.

From my TM fitting, the p7mc was spinning about 1000 less compared to my previous set. But didn’t have much offset with distance that I could remember.  I like a more mid ball flight but also the ability to change my shot windows. I also need to play around with the lie angle, currently 2* flat and my miss thus far is a high weak fade.

I probably am placing too much pressure to hit perfect shots instead of going through the process.

Going forward I think best plan is to get the gapping down and follow-up with my instructor from fall.  I’ll try not to give into the temptation of “buyers remorse” and switching them out to quickly.

Have any of you experienced this “buyers remorse” when swapping out old for new clubs?

WITB

Titleist TS3 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g

Titleist TS2 15 Diamana LTD S+ Blue 70g

P790 2i HZRDUS 100g

P7MC 3-P Project X 6.0 (lie -2)

Vokey Wedge 52, 58 (lie -2)

Scotty Cameron CA Monterey