TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which irons?

rowjow

Currently gaming adams a7 irons and like them a lot but i'm ready for an upgrade. Need to switch into stiff shafts and also would like a 4i as oppose to a hybrid. So i'm an 11 handicap but just hit a rough patch, before this i was playing regularly between 6 to 8 handicap. Decent ball striker and i'm looking at the titleist ap2, ping s56, mizuno mp63 or taylormade mc's (4-pw) and then an r11, 910 or an adams 3 hybrid.

Any opninions or what other clubs to looks at would be great!

It's all about preference honestly. The S56's (the ones i game) are more of a blade. And if you don't hit it consistently, they aren't the club for you. An offcenter shot will lose about 10-15 yards. If you're looking for a little hit of forgiveness, you could go with the ap2's. The 910 hybrids are absolute beasts by the way.

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

I'm a similar handicap to you (currently a 6 but usually start the season as a 10 or so and work my way down) and I'm looking at the Adams CB1/CB2/A12 Pro, the Mizuno MP-58 and MP-59, and the Titleist AP2s as well. Of course, I've been looking for a while, demoed and hit a bunch of clubs, and nothing has unseated my Cleveland Reds.

I recently experimented with some TaylorMade TP MBs and did not get the results I was looking for with them and I also consider myself to be a pretty decent ball striker.

Its all about what suits your eye and what gives you the best results

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Testing is a great pain for me as I get large amounts of discount at direct golf so I dont buy clubs direct.

I'm an 11 handicapper and hit the ball steady and think upgrading to stiff shafts will help. Just wondering which irons you guys think will suit me best with a high ball flight.

Titleist AP2

Adams Idea Pro A12

Taylormade MC

Mizuno MP63

Mizuno MP53

Nike VR Pro Combo

Thanks again :P

Didn't you ask this the other day?

You might want to take a step back and look at the r9 tps. a very underrated club that functions both as a players iron, while offering forgiveness as well...

a 910 D2 or adams driver if you don't care about adjustability should also fit the bill

If you ever run across a set of Nickent 4DX Pro forged irons with the Nippon 1180GH shafts for $200 or less, grab 'em. Very high quality and under-appreciated clubs that won't break the bank for experimentation purposes and would be more than serviceable as a back-up set at the very least.

i dont think the standard version for the R11 hybrid would be suitable for u, i curently use the r11s standard version in the stiffs and i hit the ball pretty high.the tp shaft might be a little better if u swing fast

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Testing is a great pain for me as I get large amounts of discount at direct golf so I dont buy clubs direct.

I'm an 11 handicapper and hit the ball steady and think upgrading to stiff shafts will help. Just wondering which irons you guys think will suit me best with a high ball flight.

Titleist AP2

Adams Idea Pro A12

Taylormade MC

Mizuno MP63

Mizuno MP53

Nike VR Pro Combo

Thanks again :P

If you flight the ball high, and are looking to drop it down, from this list, I would pick the MP63, followed by the A12 with Project X shafts...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'm R11 driver through PW, lots of it tour issued (3 wood, irons). The driver and Rescue11 are TP models. Couldn't be happier, to be honest. Hit the R11 irons with the C-Tapers for the first time tonight. Going back tomorrow to verify, but if the numbers are right, these are the longest irons I've ever owned (and my first ever set of TMag irons). I hit every club in the bag (and still want to double check lie angles and distances) and the 5 iron is the longest iron I carry. I hit the 5 iron 231 yards, carry, as my average. I've NEVER hit a 5 iron that far, ever. I'm impressed, to say the least.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I just can't really imagine buying a set of irons without hitting them! For me, 1/2 the fun is deciding what I want, which is a laborious and joyful process!

Thats awesome! Sergio Garcia hits his 2-iron 235 yards!??

Jaime Sadlowski hits his 6 iron 260. And that's a standard loft iron. I went back and verified my numbers on a different machine and they were more realistic (the first ones were in a store that jacks their numbers up). On the Trackman, the numbers were more real, with the 5 iron being 209 yards of carry on average. I'm thinking about bending the lofts weaker, as I'd like for the 5 iron to be a 200 yard club and gap from there.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Narrowed it down and got prices..

Titleist AP2 at £500

Taylormade MB at £450

Mizuno MP63 at £500

I'm assuming those are 710 AP2's, which are about to be replaced with the 712's and are an outgoing model which should be discounted, as are the 63's. All 3 are fairly high when converting from British Pounds Sterling to the US Dollar. If you're not in a hurry to get them, as I'm assuming you're overseas, you could save a BUNCH of money buying in the US and having them shipped to you. You could get those AP2's a LOT cheaper ordering here, as well as the MB's and 63's. Those prices are uber high for what we'd pay. Even with the additional money to ship, they'd come in well under what you'd pay there for them. Another thing about the choices you have, the most harsh feeling of the 3 are the AP2's, to me. The MP's will be the softest, and best feeling, and the MB's are between them, more toward the Mizuno side on feel. I wasn't a fan of the AP2's at all when I hit them on 3 occasions. The other two I liked a lot, and the Mizzy's felt like butter. If you can, hit all 3 side by side before deciding.

Like I said, if you're not in a hurry, check with some US companies. One place I'd start would be Discount Dan's Golf. You'd have to call for prices on the clubs, as they don't publish them on their site, but they're gonna beat those prices by close to $200, US, which would be 128 pounds or so cheaper. I'm not sure on what they'd charge shipping, as they offer free shipping within the US. You can get in touch with them via phone toll free at 1-877-738-5248. I'd honestly give them a call before pulling the trigger on anything, cause those prices made me gasp when I saw them(and I'm not shocked by many equipment prices). The good thing is that you'd be able to order them to your specs when ordering from them.

In The Bag

RookieBlue has a point and that is why I buy all my golf equipment in the US. But it's a gamble... if you are lucky your shipment goes through without paying taxes... if you get caught it's 20% from the declared value.

I recently bought 2 drivers, 1 hybrid, 1 iron for my wife, 2 pairs of shoes. Total shipping to Germany was $70 and Fedex charged me around $35 for customs declaration including import taxes. Taxes were low cause the seller did me a favor and declared a much lower value.

Or if you have the chance to go on vacation to the US, bring them with you :P

Not only do we not get the awesome give-aways... we also have to pay astronomical prices for the same equipment. How do we calculate prices? Hmmm... how about we just take the $ sign away and replace it with GBP or EUR? :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Archived