TESTERS WANTED! ×

lack of candor among pga tour media

have you noticed that pga media coverage omits all references to money except  sums raised for charity.  this is either overt or covert, and deprives us of a full understanding of the tournaments.  I hope MGS agrees with this and can start the ball rolling for change.  The tour is NOT simply a bunch of skilled players roaming the country to raise money for charity.  this is a multi-million dollar business, and we should be kept apprised of that.  Example:  in the Sentry playoff a couple of weeks ago, Joaquin Niemann had a birdie putt he missed that cost him $500,000.  No comment from the commentators.  How much more interesting telecasts would be if the broadcasters would point out that bundles of cash were being won/lost as the tournament progressed.  What we have now is censorship.  

lestershapiro21@gmail.com

One has to pay attention to the broadcasts week to week. It may not happen at every tournament but the commentators do talk about the money the players made or lost by missing a putt or making a certain score on the course. 

They talk about it in regards to Ryder cup or presidents cup points to.  

The tour and/or the commentators aren’t hiding anything about prize money and the impacts to players rankings, winnings and so on. They spent 5 mins talking about Patrick cantlay being 1 point out of first place and all he had to do was sign his card right next time he plays and he should be in first.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

have you noticed that pga media coverage omits all references to money except  sums raised for charity.  this is either overt or covert, and deprives us of a full understanding of the tournaments.  I hope MGS agrees with this and can start the ball rolling for change.  The tour is NOT simply a bunch of skilled players roaming the country to raise money for charity.  this is a multi-million dollar business, and we should be kept apprised of that.  Example:  in the Sentry playoff a couple of weeks ago, Joaquin Niemann had a birdie putt he missed that cost him $500,000.  No comment from the commentators.  How much more interesting telecasts would be if the broadcasters would point out that bundles of cash were being won/lost as the tournament progressed.  What we have now is censorship.  

They talk about prize money all the time. You can easily find career earnings and tournament earnings with a simple google search

Here is the money from yesterday.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/01/31/pga-tour-prize-money-farmers-insurance-open/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not sure if you have listened to any of the max homa podcasts, get a grip. He had in the past Joel dahmen on who talks about the money aspect. If he is losing how each birdie gives him and extra 5k for renovations in his new home

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 2/1/2021 at 11:26 AM, cnosil said:

They talk about prize money all the time. You can easily find career earnings and tournament earnings with a simple google search

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/01/31/pga-tour-prize-money-farmers-insurance-open/

i never hear about money and i watch a lot of golf on tv.  the only detailed report is by the associated press monday morning.  i did not hear anyone note that  reed scooped up $1.3+ million.  And if that feeble little bounce embedded his ball those should have been wearing waders instead of golf shoes.

27 minutes ago, Lester Shapiro said:

i never hear about money and i watch a lot of golf on tv.  the only detailed report is by the associated press monday morning.  i did not hear anyone note that  reed scooped up $1.3+ million.  And if that feeble little bounce embedded his ball those should have been wearing waders instead of golf shoes.

They talked Sunday about some of the guys that were in contention dropping spots on the money. 

it may not always be a specific amount of cash but they will talk about shots costing a player positions on the leaderboard.

Pretty much every week they say how much a person won or what the prize total is for winning. 

Did you know that Rory on 18 had the same situation as Reed? Did you know they rules officials commented that the same situation happened a hundred times during the course of the 4 days?

You’re looking for something that’s not there. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 2/1/2021 at 10:44 AM, Lester Shapiro said:

I have one word for you MEDIA..... In my opinion, they are all the same.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 2/1/2021 at 11:26 AM, cnosil said:

+1. They talk about prize money often enough in my view, and the OP can do an online search and find out what every player in any tournament wins. The running total winnings for each player is also readily available online. Why do some people assume something sinister without doing a little research first? There’s no “censorship” that I can see.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I tend to watch LPGA more often then PGA, and they talk about money all the time. However, sometimes the conversation goes to the prize $$ disparity between the two rather than what a missed putt cost the golfer.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I tend to watch LPGA more often then PGA, and they talk about money all the time. However, sometimes the conversation goes to the prize $$ disparity between the two rather than what a missed putt cost the golfer.

BTW I'm glad they do talk about how much the Tour contributes to local charities. I wish all professional sports did - that might point out a bigger disparity on local contributions.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have to agree with the OP, this year there has been less and less discussions of money than in year's past. I think it probably has to do with the current state of our economy  with people being out of work, small business failures and death. Hard to gain sympathy for a guy missing a putt that cost him and additional $100K, when a lot of people are struggling.  

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

15 hours ago, Middler said:

+1. They talk about prize money often enough in my view, and the OP can do an online search and find out what every player in any tournament wins. The running total winnings for each player is also readily available online. Why do some people assume something sinister without doing a little research first? There’s no “censorship” that I can see.

i'm old, and i don't hear very well, but what i do hear doesn't sound like what you're telling me, and suggestions to "do a little research" support my contention that the pga doesn't want the media to go on big bucks.  i repeat: did anyone hear the sum of $1,350,000 when reed holed out on 18?

And take another look at the video and tell me that little bounce generated enough velocity to embed a golf ball.

Genuine question - why would the casual PGA fan care about the exact amount won by a tour pro? Event wins and FedEx Cup points seem to be far more important given rankings, who qualifies at the end of the season, etc. I can honestly say I've never been watching an event and thinking to myself "Boy I hope DJ pulls into third place so he can earn an extra $500,000!" 

They're all mostly millionaires and well above our pay bracket, so frankly I'm not sure if the casual fan really cares hearing about per event winnings. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

42 minutes ago, Lester Shapiro said:

i'm old, and i don't hear very well, but what i do hear doesn't sound like what you're telling me, and suggestions to "do a little research" support my contention that the pga doesn't want the media to go on big bucks.  i repeat: did anyone hear the sum of $1,350,000 when reed holed out on 18?

And take another look at the video and tell me that little bounce generated enough velocity to embed a golf ball.

As for the Reed bounce the rules official on the scene, the ones watching video later and the on air official during sundays round all said the samething. Not to mention Rory’s ball on 18 bounced and was embedded, he took his relief. Again in post event interviews the rules officials for the tourney said the same situation occurred hundreds of times during the week, but Reed was the only to call an official to get confirmation and was willing to accept it not being embedded of the official said it wasn’t. Reed followed all the rules including when he marked and lifted the ball and didn’t clean it. But it’s beating a dead horse to keep talking about.

As for the money it’s nothing that’s hidden anywhere. All one has to do is look at the tour’s website and see the prize money available for each tournament and as been mentioned the breakdown is available afterwards for all too see, but again beating a dead horse.

Nobody in the media or the tour is hiding anything on money. As @russtopherb mentions the actual value is of interest to very few fans. Anyone watching knows what the scores are based on the leaderboard and can easily tell that someone will move up, down or stay in the same spot on the leaderboard based on their score on a hole and that the position on the leaderboard determines what portion of money they will get and if they are sharing it with others or not

On 2/3/2021 at 12:35 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

As for the Reed bounce the rules official on the scene, the ones watching video later and the on air official during sundays round all said the samething. Not to mention Rory’s ball on 18 bounced and was embedded, he took his relief. Again in post event interviews the rules officials for the tourney said the same situation occurred hundreds of times during the week, but Reed was the only to call an official to get confirmation and was willing to accept it not being embedded of the official said it wasn’t. Reed followed all the rules including when he marked and lifted the ball and didn’t clean it. But it’s beating a dead horse to keep talking about.

As for the money it’s nothing that’s hidden anywhere. All one has to do is look at the tour’s website and see the prize money available for each tournament and as been mentioned the breakdown is available afterwards for all too see, but again beating a dead horse.

Nobody in the media or the tour is hiding anything on money. As @russtopherb mentions the actual value is of interest to very few fans. Anyone watching knows what the scores are based on the leaderboard and can easily tell that someone will move up, down or stay in the same spot on the leaderboard based on their score on a hole and that the position on the leaderboard determines what portion of money they will get and if they are sharing it with others or not

that's exactly my point:  YOU have to look around for the money, and finding out the next day is not the same as an announcer saying, for example: "and with that putt, (name) wraps it up, and pockets a million point three."  you never have, and never will hear anything remotely like that, or, for example " the way things are shaping up, that miss -hit is gonna cost him a lot of money."

And how many of know that quite a few years ago a lobbyist hired by the PGA successfully amended a bill that significantly fattened their pension plan.  It only took six or seven words, and never even mentioned PGA.  Padraic Harrington, an accountant before he was  a pro, praised  this until the PGA made him clam up.  So, don't try telling  me the PGA isn't acutely PR  conscious about all that money.

5 minutes ago, Lester Shapiro said:

So, don't try telling  me the PGA isn't acutely PR  conscious about all that money.

Of course they're PR conscious, they're in the entertainment business.  They need our eyeballs to make the advertising rights worth a bunch of money so the networks can pay the Tour a bunch of money which flows largely to the players.  It makes complete sense for the Tour to insist that their broadcast partners don't emphasize the money, that they don't emphasize how much richer the players are than the rest of us. This isn't nefarious, this is normal business.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

18 minutes ago, Lester Shapiro said:

that's exactly my point:  YOU have to look around for the money, and finding out the next day is not the same as an announcer saying, for example: "and with that putt, (name) wraps it up, and pockets a million point three."  you never have, and never will hear anything remotely like that, or, for example " the way things are shaping up, that miss -hit is gonna cost him a lot of money."

And how many of know that quite a few years ago a lobbyist hired by the PGA successfully amended a bill that significantly fattened their pension plan.  It only took six or seven words, and never even mentioned PGA.  Padraic Harrington, an accountant before he was  a pro, praised  this until the PGA made him clam up.  So, don't try telling  me the PGA isn't acutely PR  conscious about all that money.

It’s really not that hard to find the money. A simple google search of waste management payout and one of the first links was golf digest.

The announcers aren’t there to tell you every shot costs or makes a person x dollars. I’ve heard them talk about as an example the players championship have a higher purse than the some other tournaments.

The winners payout is pretty much the same percentage every week as are the payouts for each positions. You can look on the pga tour website at the schedule and see that the WM has a purse of $7.3 million and calculate the percentage for each spot and do the same each week based on their website and the purse for each event.

But this thread is making a mountain out of a mole hill for a perception of lack of transparency in an effort to keep the public blind which isn’t anywhere near the case

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/here-is-the-prize-money-payout-for-each-golfer-at-the-2021-waste-management-phoenix-open

3 hours ago, Lester Shapiro said:

Let's try a different way to look at this.     How much an athlete makes from an even it probably some of the most well known information as it is often used to entice the player to play.     Generally, the amount of money people make from their job isn't public information.   How much do you make,  how much do your coworkers make?   I know the companies I have worked for frown on discussing how much you earn. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just read this entire thread... interesting in an odd way.  Nothing to add but can you imagine stepping up to a putt and knowing the difference between a miss and a make is a 6 or 7 figure check 😲.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 2/1/2021 at 10:44 AM, Lester Shapiro said:

Censorship? LOL  I was always taught that you dont discuss someone else's money and that a gentleman doesnt ask how much others make and doesnt tell people how much he makes.

Its none of my business how much these guys or anyone else makes and for a commentator to say, "that missed putt just cost him $500K" would just be classless, IMO.

I know that some of these guys make more in a day that I will in my entire lifetime.  Im OK not being reminded of that.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I think the only argument you can really make about a lack of transparency concerning the tour is their continued unwillingness to announce the reasons behind player suspensions...DJ in 2012 (?) for example.  But that's on the tour, not the media, and I don't think you can reasonably argue that media coverage of golf is any more/less transparent than any other sport.

I guarantee Tom Brady's contract, Gronk's, etc., have playoff and Super Bowl incentives that they triggered last night.  I also never heard a word of it from Jim Nantz...if I care that I much I can get on my Google machine and try to sort it out, but it certainly doesn't interest the casual fan and doesn't impact the entertainment of the broadcast.

I'm a public servant and paid by the taxpayer, and for that reason anybody can get on the web and (knowing my rank and zip code) figure out what I make, to the dime.  And that's fair and entirely appropriate.  But outside of taxpayer funded salaries, I tend to agree that what someone else makes is probably somewhere between none of my business and not relevant to the entertainment value.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Just read this entire thread... interesting in an odd way.  Nothing to add but can you imagine stepping up to a putt and knowing the difference between a miss and a make is a 6 or 7 figure check .

I wonder how much that even crosses their minds. I was thinking they’re all probably so competitive it’s more about winning, or beating the competition. I’m sure they care about the money, but I just wonder if it’s the bragging rights in their minds standing over those putts.

I used to play with a friend in Maine who always wanted to play for dimes. We talked several times about whether it’s 10 cents or 10 bucks, it’s making the other guy reach into his pocket that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

The only $ I would care about when they are making or missing putts is what it might cost me in fantasy golf $ or a bet !  But since I don't do either I don't care.

(and Rory's ball was stepped on by one of the volunteers looking for it that's how it got embedded 😎)

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

4 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I think the only argument you can really make about a lack of transparency concerning the tour is their continued unwillingness to announce the reasons behind player suspensions...DJ in 2012 (?) for example.  But that's on the tour, not the media, and I don't think you can reasonably argue that media coverage of golf is any more/less transparent than any other sport.

I guarantee Tom Brady's contract, Gronk's, etc., have playoff and Super Bowl incentives that they triggered last night.  I also never heard a word of it from Jim Nantz...if I care that I much I can get on my Google machine and try to sort it out, but it certainly doesn't interest the casual fan and doesn't impact the entertainment of the broadcast.

I'm a public servant and paid by the taxpayer, and for that reason anybody can get on the web and (knowing my rank and zip code) figure out what I make, to the dime.  And that's fair and entirely appropriate.  But outside of taxpayer funded salaries, I tend to agree that what someone else makes is probably somewhere between none of my business and not relevant to the entertainment value.

This is where I was going to go but with baseball. They talk about the contracts they sign but that is about it. You don't hear anyone saying oh "insert pitcher here" just got rocked and pulled by the 1 2/3 inning that is going to effect his paycheck. Or as @Getoffmylawn mentioned we all know that baseball players get bonus and contractual money for playoff and world series/super bowl wins but we don't know how much. IMO like @BadgerGolfer said I don't think its any of my business. I am just here to watch people plays sports in a way I only dream about doing it. 

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

7 hours ago, 00sportsman said:

I wonder how much that even crosses their minds. I was thinking they’re all probably so competitive it’s more about winning, or beating the competition. I’m sure they care about the money, but I just wonder if it’s the bragging rights in their minds standing over those putts.

I used to play with a friend in Maine who always wanted to play for dimes. We talked several times about whether it’s 10 cents or 10 bucks, it’s making the other guy reach into his pocket that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, for those who cash in on a regular basis, and have already made millions, they probably don't think about it too much.  But for those only occasionally break into the top 25, I do think it crosses their minds.  And yes, I agree on the last point.  Our Yuma gang plays "wolf" for dimes and it is all about not having to dig into your cache to pay others post round 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

you're all making my case for me, ie: do a little research, it's online etc., but that just confirms my gripe:  non of it is on cbs or nbc.  and how about  that last tournament in saudi arabia?  a $3.3 million purse, and not a word about how it was distributed. so, i don't want to search, simply or otherwise. I  want to be told in real time to the fullest extent possible, and so should you.  

5 minutes ago, Lester Shapiro said:

you're all making my case for me, ie: do a little research, it's online etc., but that just confirms my gripe:  non of it is on cbs or nbc.  and how about  that last tournament in saudi arabia?  a $3.3 million purse, and not a word about how it was distributed. so, i don't want to search, simply or otherwise. I  want to be told in real time to the fullest extent possible, and so should you.  

You are the only one who cares what the pros make or lose during a tournament. It’s irrelevant to the large golfing viewership. 

here’s the purse for every tour event this season.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.html

And here’s another reference you can use to track how much each place earns.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2019/09/12/pga-tour-purse-payout-percentages-distribution-102486/

Now you know how much a shot of putt coming down the stretch on Sunday will impact a person payday.

23 minutes ago, Lester Shapiro said:

do you also want to know how much Mike Trout makes per at bat? or how much Gerrit Cole makes per inning? how about how much that missed free throw cost Lebron James? 

i honestly can’t think of a more off-putting feature to add to a broadcast

”hey casual fans, here are these gentlemen making the game that gives you fits look insultingly easy. and with that birdie, justin thomas locks up 4th place and more money than you’ll earn in the next 8 years. stay tuned for the evening news”

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour