lack of candor among pga tour media

Just read this entire thread... interesting in an odd way.  Nothing to add but can you imagine stepping up to a putt and knowing the difference between a miss and a make is a 6 or 7 figure check 😲.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 2/1/2021 at 10:44 AM, Lester Shapiro said:

have you noticed that pga media coverage omits all references to money except  sums raised for charity.  this is either overt or covert, and deprives us of a full understanding of the tournaments.  I hope MGS agrees with this and can start the ball rolling for change.  The tour is NOT simply a bunch of skilled players roaming the country to raise money for charity.  this is a multi-million dollar business, and we should be kept apprised of that.  Example:  in the Sentry playoff a couple of weeks ago, Joaquin Niemann had a birdie putt he missed that cost him $500,000.  No comment from the commentators.  How much more interesting telecasts would be if the broadcasters would point out that bundles of cash were being won/lost as the tournament progressed.  What we have now is censorship.  

lestershapiro21@gmail.com

Censorship? LOL  I was always taught that you dont discuss someone else's money and that a gentleman doesnt ask how much others make and doesnt tell people how much he makes.

Its none of my business how much these guys or anyone else makes and for a commentator to say, "that missed putt just cost him $500K" would just be classless, IMO.

I know that some of these guys make more in a day that I will in my entire lifetime.  Im OK not being reminded of that.

• Like 8

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Irons: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* and Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I think the only argument you can really make about a lack of transparency concerning the tour is their continued unwillingness to announce the reasons behind player suspensions...DJ in 2012 (?) for example.  But that's on the tour, not the media, and I don't think you can reasonably argue that media coverage of golf is any more/less transparent than any other sport.

I guarantee Tom Brady's contract, Gronk's, etc., have playoff and Super Bowl incentives that they triggered last night.  I also never heard a word of it from Jim Nantz...if I care that I much I can get on my Google machine and try to sort it out, but it certainly doesn't interest the casual fan and doesn't impact the entertainment of the broadcast.

I'm a public servant and paid by the taxpayer, and for that reason anybody can get on the web and (knowing my rank and zip code) figure out what I make, to the dime.  And that's fair and entirely appropriate.  But outside of taxpayer funded salaries, I tend to agree that what someone else makes is probably somewhere between none of my business and not relevant to the entertainment value.

• Like 4

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Just read this entire thread... interesting in an odd way.  Nothing to add but can you imagine stepping up to a putt and knowing the difference between a miss and a make is a 6 or 7 figure check [emoji44].

I wonder how much that even crosses their minds. I was thinking they’re all probably so competitive it’s more about winning, or beating the competition. I’m sure they care about the money, but I just wonder if it’s the bragging rights in their minds standing over those putts.

I used to play with a friend in Maine who always wanted to play for dimes. We talked several times about whether it’s 10 cents or 10 bucks, it’s making the other guy reach into his pocket that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

The only $ I would care about when they are making or missing putts is what it might cost me in fantasy golf $ or a bet !  But since I don't do either I don't care.

(and Rory's ball was stepped on by one of the volunteers looking for it that's how it got embedded 😎)

• Like 1

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

4 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I think the only argument you can really make about a lack of transparency concerning the tour is their continued unwillingness to announce the reasons behind player suspensions...DJ in 2012 (?) for example.  But that's on the tour, not the media, and I don't think you can reasonably argue that media coverage of golf is any more/less transparent than any other sport.

I guarantee Tom Brady's contract, Gronk's, etc., have playoff and Super Bowl incentives that they triggered last night.  I also never heard a word of it from Jim Nantz...if I care that I much I can get on my Google machine and try to sort it out, but it certainly doesn't interest the casual fan and doesn't impact the entertainment of the broadcast.

I'm a public servant and paid by the taxpayer, and for that reason anybody can get on the web and (knowing my rank and zip code) figure out what I make, to the dime.  And that's fair and entirely appropriate.  But outside of taxpayer funded salaries, I tend to agree that what someone else makes is probably somewhere between none of my business and not relevant to the entertainment value.

This is where I was going to go but with baseball. They talk about the contracts they sign but that is about it. You don't hear anyone saying oh "insert pitcher here" just got rocked and pulled by the 1 2/3 inning that is going to effect his paycheck. Or as @Getoffmylawn mentioned we all know that baseball players get bonus and contractual money for playoff and world series/super bowl wins but we don't know how much. IMO like @BadgerGolfer said I don't think its any of my business. I am just here to watch people plays sports in a way I only dream about doing it. 

• Like 1

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

7 hours ago, 00sportsman said:

I wonder how much that even crosses their minds. I was thinking they’re all probably so competitive it’s more about winning, or beating the competition. I’m sure they care about the money, but I just wonder if it’s the bragging rights in their minds standing over those putts.

I used to play with a friend in Maine who always wanted to play for dimes. We talked several times about whether it’s 10 cents or 10 bucks, it’s making the other guy reach into his pocket that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, for those who cash in on a regular basis, and have already made millions, they probably don't think about it too much.  But for those only occasionally break into the top 25, I do think it crosses their minds.  And yes, I agree on the last point.  Our Yuma gang plays "wolf" for dimes and it is all about not having to dig into your cache to pay others post round 🙂.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

you're all making my case for me, ie: do a little research, it's online etc., but that just confirms my gripe:  non of it is on cbs or nbc.  and how about  that last tournament in saudi arabia?  a $3.3 million purse, and not a word about how it was distributed. so, i don't want to search, simply or otherwise. I  want to be told in real time to the fullest extent possible, and so should you.  

5 minutes ago, Lester Shapiro said:

you're all making my case for me, ie: do a little research, it's online etc., but that just confirms my gripe:  non of it is on cbs or nbc.  and how about  that last tournament in saudi arabia?  a $3.3 million purse, and not a word about how it was distributed. so, i don't want to search, simply or otherwise. I  want to be told in real time to the fullest extent possible, and so should you.  

You are the only one who cares what the pros make or lose during a tournament. It’s irrelevant to the large golfing viewership. 

here’s the purse for every tour event this season.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.html

And here’s another reference you can use to track how much each place earns.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2019/09/12/pga-tour-purse-payout-percentages-distribution-102486/

Now you know how much a shot of putt coming down the stretch on Sunday will impact a person payday.

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

23 minutes ago, Lester Shapiro said:

do you also want to know how much Mike Trout makes per at bat? or how much Gerrit Cole makes per inning? how about how much that missed free throw cost Lebron James? 

i honestly can’t think of a more off-putting feature to add to a broadcast

”hey casual fans, here are these gentlemen making the game that gives you fits look insultingly easy. and with that birdie, justin thomas locks up 4th place and more money than you’ll earn in the next 8 years. stay tuned for the evening news”

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

50 minutes ago, Lester Shapiro said:

...and so should you.  

Nope.

Sorry; you’re certainly entitled to your own values and opinions, and the great thing about MGS is you’ll find they are at least respected even when not agreed with.  But, I can say with a high degree of confidence that you are very much in the minority on this one.

When Tiger won the Masters in ‘19, I have to admit that I damn near cried, and I’ll bet among this group I’m not alone in that....I think we witnessed the greatest comeback in sports history.  I was stirred by the accomplishment, and how much money he won had absolutely nothing to do with it...never crossed my mind.  For another example, when DJ 3-putted at Chambers Bay to lose the US Open to Spieth, what was everyone’s reaction?  I’m certain it was along the lines of “Wow, he just three putted to lose the US Open,” not “Wow, he just lost several hundred thousand dollars.” Frankly, I’d feel bad for anyone whose enjoyment of a sporting event depended on their understanding of the monetary value of it.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

10 hours ago, Lester Shapiro said:

I  want to be told in real time to the fullest extent possible, and so should you.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

10 hours ago, Lester Shapiro said:

I  want to be told in real time to the fullest extent possible, and so should you.

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You are the only one who cares what the pros make or lose during a tournament. It’s irrelevant to the large golfing viewership.

OK, you're both wrong.  First, @Lester Shapiro, you shouldn't be telling ME what I should want.  Its a personal choice, and I'm fine not knowing.  On the other hand, I'm absolutely certain that you're not the only one who would prefer to hear more about the money implications of each shot.  So don't complain here, write to the networks, or to the PGA Tour, or on the facebook or twitter pages of those entities.  But also be prepared to be ignored, they've made specific choices based on marketing strategies.  As I've said, by emphasizing the money, they risk turning off viewers who don't want to be reminded of how "rich" these players are, compared to themselves.  Its only a guess, but the ones most likely to be turned off are more likely to be the "fringe" viewers, not the golf fanatics.  The networks know the fanatics will watch, no matter what the announcers talk about, they're most interested in the "fringe" viewers. 

• Like 6

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

OK, you're both wrong.  First, @Lester Shapiro, you shouldn't be telling ME what I should want.  Its a personal choice, and I'm fine not knowing.  On the other hand, I'm absolutely certain that you're not the only one who would prefer to hear more about the money implications of each shot.  So don't complain here, write to the networks, or to the PGA Tour, or on the facebook or twitter pages of those entities.  But also be prepared to be ignored, they've made specific choices based on marketing strategies.  As I've said, by emphasizing the money, they risk turning off viewers who don't want to be reminded of how "rich" these players are, compared to themselves.  Its only a guess, but the ones most likely to be turned off are more likely to be the "fringe" viewers, not the golf fanatics.  The networks know the fanatics will watch, no matter what the announcers talk about, they're most interested in the "fringe" viewers. 

giphy.gif.e0519057db3d757eebf772f1dfbeb5a2.gif

• Like 1

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3