NPG Episode 70: Are Fittings Going Virtual?

Our Sponsors

6 minutes ago, greggarner said:

it's a pretty dedicated consumer who is willing to wade through this

This brings up an interesting point though: what does the Venn diagram look like of "people who care enough to research shaft options" and "people who won't get fit for golf clubs"? I would imagine there's not much overlap there... If you don't value getting fit, do you really care that much about bend profiles, kick points, etc?

Wait...everyone doesn’t wade through those?! Awkward...🤣

All about bend profiles!

Some great points in the thread. I can see an inevitability where a computer program replaces a fitter at a golf shop. It uses camera s/gcquad to see characteristics of your swing and spits out options. Based on how you hit those, it delivers a recommendation. 

This will work for those who are ok with a good fitting. It will not replace a master fitter, like Ian from TXG. The amount of knowledge he has and his ability to use it CREATIVELY is what would separate man from machine. However, based on the amount of data they use at TXG, I would guess Ian would still use this type of program as an assistant to what he’s doing. 

• Like 1

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can foresee this episode getting more than a few people fired up!!

I would rather trade off turf interaction with real, appropriate and unbiased data.  I'm a big supporter of keeping things "old school", but I love the idea of some A.I. giving me real analytics.

Duration: 00:48:39 In-person club fittings were already troublesome, and that was before a global pandemic. Are virtual fittings the wave of the future? 0:30 - Putter testing check-in 1:23 - Ar

Posted Images

This is an interesting topic as it kind of relates to what I do at work. My work responsibility is looking at how my company can improve software testing practices. Market literature points to automation as the answer. A test script runs and at the end it checks the result against some expectation. This isn’t testing. Some people may accept that as testing. But Testing requires human interaction to observe, interact, experiment, experiment, and make Decisions that automation cannot do.

The electronic fitting is a nice check for a starting point, but to be a good fitting. It is a check against parameters and based on the parameters you get an answer. All well and good, but when you actually get the club in your hands you react to the looks and feel which change the parameters that you started with resulting in a new fit. My putting instructor indicated that often when a player got a putter recommendation from Puttlab and the player then went through the test with the recommendation it provided a new recommendation.

Tools can get you to a certain point. For the majority of golfers that may be good enough. But to optimize you will have to engage humans.

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This is an interesting topic as it kind of relates to what I do at work. My work responsibility is looking at how my company can improve software testing practices. Market literature points to automation as the answer. A test script runs and at the end it checks the result against some expectation. This isn’t testing. Some people may accept that as testing. But Testing requires human interaction to observe, interact, experiment, experiment, and make Decisions that automation cannot do.

The electronic fitting is a nice check for a starting point, but to be a good fitting. It is a check against parameters and based on the parameters you get an answer. All well and good, but when you actually get the club in your hands you react to the looks and feel which change the parameters that you started with resulting in a new fit. My putting instructor indicated that often when a player got a putter recommendation from Puttlab and the player then went through the test with the recommendation it provided a new recommendation.

Tools can get you to a certain point. For the majority of golfers that may be good enough. But to optimize you will have to engage humans.

100% this.... a machine/algorithm cannot react to human emotion....No matter how much A.I. you add to it.

Humans aren't robots and robots cannot fit humans.

• Like 1

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

I'm totally for using data to help make an informed choice about any purchase I make but when it comes to golf equipment you need to get your info from a machine at a store or from your pro. 

So I wouldn't necessarily pay extra to get a recommendation online if I'm already paying to use a launch monitor. Should I be able to collate that info myself at home without trackman etc I would definitely use online fitting to make a purchase. Until then its face to face for me.

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

The electronic fitting is a nice check for a starting point, but to be a good fitting. It is a check against parameters and based on the parameters you get an answer. All well and good, but when you actually get the club in your hands you react to the looks and feel which change the parameters that you started with resulting in a new fit.

This also makes me think about the Titleist Virtual Ball Fitting. I was sharing how my current gamer (Srixon Z-Star XV, which feels pretty firm) is great in every arena except putting and I often struggle to get a feel for it and keep hitting it well past the hole or over-correcting and leaving it well short. The fitter, David, mentioned that putting is where every ball fitting should start because off a launch monitor, there is no significant difference in balls and putting is the most consequential aspect of the game. However, when I'm playing a ball that feels softer than my XV, I have a tendency to leave wedge/finesse shots short. Sound, feel, all of it is preference and squarely between your ears.

Point being: if I just pick a ball based on an algorithm of playing characteristics and don't actually test it, I've neglected that golf is a fundamentally human endeavor and we have to be part of the equation. When we boil down our swings to (essentially) a series of robotic swing parameters and leave out the unquantified 'feel' elements, the algorithm doesn't account for how we will change our own swing parameters.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95cw Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

50*, 54*, 60* :vokey-small: SM7 TT DG S200
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1/x laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

On 2/1/2021 at 7:29 PM, ejgaudette said:

Also I would have to imagine a company like Foresight if they were able to partner with their fitters and have them tagging data appropriately for club used and shaft and other data points that combined with full club and ball day could quickly develop a data set that could produce some decent results and even apply strokes gained to it all.

This would definitely make the virtual fitting approach more robust.  I'm pretty certain this is how PING's Web-Fit tool works; based on gobs of fitting data that get's the majority of players 90% there.  Presuming one can accurately answer the questions it asks, I'll bet the results are what the fitter would come up with in pretty short order.  But as stated already, AI/database centric models simply cannot resolve the look at address, feel, turf interaction, etc., aspects. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

As the previous post - golf is such a game of feel, that the data algorithms might give you a start point or help you narrow down your choices, but ultimately it is what the golfer feels out on the course that matters. And then, you have a whole bunch of variables that cannot be simulated on the launch monitors that you experience on the course that can (and will) throw even the best fit clubs into the wind (pun intended).

If you look at the pro's who have honed their swing and feel to such a level, yet you see them being so fickle about clubs and shafts and what have you (Rickies Rev33s come to mind, as does Roses brief affair with Honma). If there was ever a candidate for data driven fitting it would be at the pro level since they have such a consistent swing that is way more repeatable than all of us hobby golfers.

That being said, I don't think golfers (regardless of skill level) are given enough credit about their ability to adapt to the conditions on the day they play so getting equipment that they feel confident with is critical so I believe it will still be physical trial and error testing/fitting that will give the best results that makes the golfer happy.

• Like 2

Trying to play as much golf as I can up in Trondheim, Norway.

Cobra F7 Driver, F6 3W, F7 2/3 and 3/4 Hy - Fujikura Pro S shafts

Callaway Apex Pro 16 4-P, Recoil 110 F4 shafts

Cleveland RTX-4 50, 54,58

Odyssey Versa #9, Cleveland TFI 8.0 CB

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

This would definitely make the virtual fitting approach more robust.  I'm pretty certain this is how PING's Web-Fit tool works; based on gobs of fitting data that get's the majority of players 90% there.  Presuming one can accurately answer the questions it asks, I'll bet the results are what the fitter would come up with in pretty short order.  But as stated already, AI/database centric models simply cannot resolve the look at address, feel, turf interaction, etc., aspects. 

Exactly and then if Foresight sent out a algorithm as part of its software that after a customer hits say 10 balls with their club it will give the top 3 recommendations and then you can try from there to remove that human entry issue. As others have mentioned the only issue would be getting new clubs in the data sets for recommendations, but a few months in it should work, and may be able to match similar data to previous models and say if the model produces this old club then try this new one it has worked for similar swing data. Of course no one is asking me to build this but would be a very fun project.

• Like 2

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

:cobra-small: Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° (at 54°)/ 56° (at 58°) KBS Tour V 110 Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag

Right Handed

I don’t know how many companies or fitters will pay for this type of software. Everyone has a price point. Maybe companies that have chains such as a club champion, but I find it difficult to see smaller companies paying to have the high end launch monitors, quality fitters, and then this software. I could see it one or the other, going with the software but having an associate to navigate the options versus a master fitter. Unfortunately if it can be done cheaper, many companies will go in that direction.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

I am gonna throw out something I haven't heard talked about yet... so you can mail me demo clubs.check, I can send swing vids over V1 etc.check., how about a fitter or major OEM send me a loaner MEVO or other launch monitor, I go out and use it on the course or range. Send you video as well. Send you game data, send back the MEVO and then we can have a real virtual fitting. Then for the dedicated player they can still go in to a brick and mortar with now a much more narrowed down fitting. This could even go as far as Zappos does with the shoes and really start mailing clubs/shafts back and forth.... ? 

• Like 1

:wilson_staff_small: Triton 10.5 degree regular flex
:taylormade-small: R580 3 & 5 stiff flex 
1700984641_Screenshot2021-02-09at1_22_31PM.png.826d2fd278c265f02c50f581ec750bf5.png Inazone Single Length 4H
:cobra-small: 5i-SW Cobra Fmax ONE Length regular flex steel
:ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 
:ping-small: 2021 Hoofer 

image.jpeg.f0b1d1d2bc3b2ec6880dd6c9a3b096e9.jpeg   image.jpeg.231a9c2f1e7b1dc46388ceac1039351a.jpeg     image.png.32ebfd5998dc591ff68ab71bb6d09b08.png

On 2/8/2021 at 9:51 PM, CCRyder said:

how about a fitter or major OEM send me a loaner MEVO or other launch monitor, I go out and use it on the course or range

How about ranges loaning/renting LMs?  Or ranges installing Toptracer Range?  There's ways to make this kind of thing happen and provide additional revenue streams for range owners.  A fitting package for the LM and premium balls.

People seem to be giving quite a bit of weight to look and feel.  Ranking your favorite looking clubs would help train an AI model to pick clubs that will look good to you.  And if you believe that feel is really sound, you can do the same thing with feel as well.  Why not build that into the model?

It's easy to say that an AI model isn't as good as the world's best fitters.  It doesn't need to be.  If it's better than the average employee in a big box store, it's providing value.  Elite fitters will still have full schedules because (as Tony said), people want that experience.  This isn't really for them. 

Dick's/Golf Galaxy should be all over this.  

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

How about ranges loaning/renting LMs?  Or ranges installing Toptracer Range?  There's ways to make this kind of thing happen and provide additional revenue streams for range owners.  A fitting package for the LM and premium balls.

My cousin owns a driving range... I poked his brain about doing the Toptracer Range stuff... he told me that the costs and licensing fee's are insane.  But I'd love to see one around here!

• Like 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

Given the number of options available for a fitting (thinking specifically for a driver) - heads, shafts, lofts, weights and locations..., I would argue that there is actually very little chance anyone walks away from a fitting being fully optimized, whether that's distance, dispersion, or both. The best we could hope for, IMO, is "better". The statistics of the "experiment" dictate this. In order to be truly optimized, you are potentially talking about 100's of configurations* and however many swings with each configuration to really optimize. There is not enough time and we don't have the stamina for that kind of effort. There are shortcuts that can be taken by using a properly designed experiment, but there is also risk associated with the shortcuts that you are missing the real answer. The statistics are the same whether you are being fitted by a human or a computer. A good fitter can combine their knowledge and experience to eliminate some configurations, but their is still a risk that your "best" configuration falls outside their experience. Could a computer learn these experiences? I have very little understanding of AI/machine learning, but I assume they could.

I think there will always be a market for a quality human fitter, but I also suspect that there is a place for computers, too. I could imagine places like Dick's not really wanting to pay for a quality fitter, but can pay for a computer and a lower-paid employee to swap heads, shafts, etc.

* For a simple example, let's say you were interested in exploring 5 heads, 5 shafts, and 3 lofts. Doing the full experiment means 5 X 5 X 3 = 75 configurations to really figure out which is best, neglecting any statistical shortcuts. In reality, how many heads does a place like Club Champion carry? How many shafts are available? The number of available configurations increases very rapidly.

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

On 2/10/2021 at 9:27 AM, B.Boston said:

My cousin owns a driving range... I poked his brain about doing the Toptracer Range stuff... he told me that the costs and licensing fee's are insane.  But I'd love to see one around here!

That's unfortunate about Toptracer Range.  A few Mevo + units might be more realistic.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

On 2/9/2021 at 11:58 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

How about ranges loaning/renting LMs?

Second swing when not impacted by the current lockdowns rents bays for 30 mins at a time with a trackman. I think with most courses/ranges the cost of the trackman, foresight or flightscope is pretty high to have extra units around that aren’t being used by their teaching or fitting staff along with a mobile device of some sort to output the data.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

That's unfortunate about Toptracer Range.  A few Mevo + units might be more realistic.

There is a top tracer range about 20 mins away from me, while it gives you some good data, it doesn’t show some needed things like spin numbersIMG_1110.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have been thinking on this more and  it has struck me that as a walking golfer I rarely buy the cart when the fee is separate but, I would certainly consider adding a Mevo to my round for $20 so that I could gain data. For all the walkers out there this could be a way to re-capture some of that revenue. Although I understand walkers are the minority. I think also adding LM's at course is very scalable compared to the 40-80k for a seasonal full scale simulator. A course can start with one or two and see if they get rented. Particulalry 9 hole executive courses which are prone to practice rounds could see a decent amount of LM use.  For me $50 per hour at a near by course with a great simulator setup and atomosphere is just too much for an hour of data. More data means better fittings in the future.

I also really support fitters who provide Arccos or Shot Scope with the fitting so that they can track and see how the fit is going. I would require that of a fitter if I was ever to do a full scale boutique fitting of my whole bag. 

:wilson_staff_small: Triton 10.5 degree regular flex
:taylormade-small: R580 3 & 5 stiff flex 
1700984641_Screenshot2021-02-09at1_22_31PM.png.826d2fd278c265f02c50f581ec750bf5.png Inazone Single Length 4H
:cobra-small: 5i-SW Cobra Fmax ONE Length regular flex steel
:ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 
:ping-small: 2021 Hoofer 

image.jpeg.f0b1d1d2bc3b2ec6880dd6c9a3b096e9.jpeg   image.jpeg.231a9c2f1e7b1dc46388ceac1039351a.jpeg     image.png.32ebfd5998dc591ff68ab71bb6d09b08.png

A PGASS opened up closer to me. They do offer 30 practice sessions on a GCHawk for $9.99. It’s the best deal I’ve seen around for simulator time. Something like that could be very valuable after a virtual fit.

• Like 3

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

On 2/13/2021 at 6:36 AM, B.Boston said:

A PGASS opened up closer to me. They do offer 30 practice sessions on a GCHawk for $9.99. It’s the best deal I’ve seen around for simulator time. Something like that could be very valuable after a virtual fit.

That's a crazy good deal...presuming you mean 30 sessions for $10.  How long is each practice session?  I could see this offering quickly overwhelming their capacity.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter