Planned 2030 Golf Ball Rollback

PMookie

Forum Member Opinions  

584 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  2. 2. Do you watch or care about the PGA Tour and other professional Tours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  3. 3. Do you wish there was a Tour Only golf ball?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  4. 4. Do you want to play all the same equipment like the pros play?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  5. 5. Do you feel your game will be dramatically effected by the rollback in 2030?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  6. 6. Will loosing any distance take away significant enjoyment in golfing for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably not
  7. 7. Would you quit golf because of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Would you prefer bifurcation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  9. 9. Is this all too early and we need to wait and see what more will happen over the next few years?

• Definitely
    • No, this needs to be addressed now
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, LICC said:

I'm not sure what you think this adds to the discussion, but the chart that @Middler posted is indisputable.

Players from decades ago were knowledgeable about their ball flights. Put the 1990 equipment into the hands of today's players, and you will get the same results as players from 1990.

It adds nothing to the discussion. But it puts a pretty good perspective on you're knowledge.  

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

15 minutes ago, LICC said:

I'm not sure what you think this adds to the discussion, but the chart that @Middler posted is indisputable.

For the record I didn’t suggest agreement with your POV. The chart shows ball and equipment innovations have both contributed to the distance issue. What it doesn’t show is how athleticism or launch monitor technology have contributed - they happened concurrently...who knows what discrete roles each have played.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

I didn’t say that. It seems to show ball and equipment innovations have both contributed to the distance issue. What it doesn’t show is how athleticism has contributed - that’s happened concurrently...

Actually no. It shows that practically all of the distance increases have come from equipment advances.

2 minutes ago, LICC said:

Actually no. It shows that practically all of the distance increases have come from equipment advances.

So increased athleticism and launch monitor tech/coaching haven’t had any impact? Good luck with that...

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

5 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Players from decades ago were knowledgeable about their ball flights. Put the 1990 equipment into the hands of today's players, and you will get the same results as players from 1990.

It adds nothing to the discussion. But it puts a pretty good perspective on you're knowledge.  

It doesn't detract at all from anything I've said. If you have any actual data or examples to support what you are trying to say, I'm happy to read it. 

1 minute ago, Middler said:

So increased athleticism and launch monitor tech/coaching haven’t had any impact? Good luck with that...

Do you have anything at all to show that it has? The data and anecdotal evidence are clear that the distance gains are predominantly from equipment advances. This desire to think that golfers are now more skilled or have better technique is just wishful thinking.

7 minutes ago, LICC said:

Do you have anything at all to show that it has? The data and anecdotal evidence are clear that the distance gains are predominantly from equipment advances. This desire to think that golfers are now more skilled or have better technique is just wishful thinking.

We agree to disagree, you don’t see any difference in athleticism in golf today? Plenty has been written about it, evidently you haven’t read any of it. The top tier players, especially the long hitters, train like weight lifters and gymnasts these days, that wasn’t the case at all before Tiger.

The chart that you’re using selectively does not account for the advances in training or coaching, as you’d like to believe.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

12 minutes ago, LICC said:

How do you account for the gain between 2004 & 2018? If it were solely equipment based wouldn't that reflect a flat line?

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

6 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

How do you account for the gain between 2004 & 2018? If it were solely equipment based wouldn't that reflect a flat line?

That is about 5 yards of increase in 14 years. And equipment technology has continued improving, just at a slower pace than previously.

@MiddlerI don't see anything equating weight training and distance increases. With one exception (Bryson, which is questionable as he made major swing changes as he also bulked up), there is not one Tour player who significantly increased distance from prior to weight training to afterward.

12 minutes ago, LICC said:

@MiddlerI don't see anything equating weight training and distance increases. With one exception (Bryson, which is questionable as he made major swing changes as he also bulked up), there is not one Tour player who significantly increased distance from prior to weight training to afterward.

Here is just one player's example. 

Physical strength was key, as well. That paid off on two holes on TPC Scottsdale’s front nine, where it’s easy to overlook a player’s performance. According to Tesori, Simpson’s weight has increased from 174 pounds in 2017 to 200 today. He lost three pounds of body fat in the process. His increased strength has allowed him to summon an extra 7-8 yards off the tee when necessary and rely more on his “fairway finder” swing without leaving himself too far behind the competition.

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2021/02/01/webb-simpson-outlier-among-golf-elite-players-waste-management-phoenix-open.html#:~:text=Simpson's average driving distance in,to 107th in that statistic.

@FrogginBullfish had the best take in this thread...

Just leave the game alone. There are already restrictions on the equipment. I don't think there is going to be much more distance than we are seeing now. Distance gains for the foreseeable future, with equipment restrictions in tact, will only garner more distance from practice, technique, innovation and desire on the part of the player.

Edited by silver & black

13 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Here is just one player's example. 

Physical strength was key, as well. That paid off on two holes on TPC Scottsdale’s front nine, where it’s easy to overlook a player’s performance. According to Tesori, Simpson’s weight has increased from 174 pounds in 2017 to 200 today. He lost three pounds of body fat in the process. His increased strength has allowed him to summon an extra 7-8 yards off the tee when necessary and rely more on his “fairway finder” swing without leaving himself too far behind the competition.

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2021/02/01/webb-simpson-outlier-among-golf-elite-players-waste-management-phoenix-open.html#:~:text=Simpson's average driving distance in,to 107th in that statistic.

@FrogginBullfish had the best take in this thread...

Webb Simpson average driving distance in 2018: 294.

Webb Simpson average driving distance in 2020: 296.

Webb Simpson average driving distance in 2021: 293.

Webb Simpson average driving distance in 2011: 296.

1 hour ago, LICC said:

WADR, that’s willful ignorance on your part. Weight and flexibility training and coaching has been a part of developing new players since Tiger made it work for him. It starts when elite players are very young, it’s not as if players are unaware and make a radical change once they turn pro - DeChambeau is an exception not the rule in this regard.

I’m not going to find all the evidence for you since your mind is made up. From the 2020 Distance Report, the R&A and USGA acknowledge it’s not just balls and equipment:

“The R&A and the USGA believe, however, that any further significant increases in hitting distances at the highest level are undesirable. Whether these increases in distance emanate from advancing equipment technology, greater athleticism of players, improved player coaching, golf course conditioning or a combination of these or other factors, they will have the impact of seriously reducing the challenge of the game. The consequential lengthening or toughening of courses would be costly or impossible and would have a negative effect on increasingly important environmental and ecological issues. Pace of play would be slowed and playing costs would increase.

The R&A and the USGA will consider all of these factors contributing to distance on a regular basis. Should such a situation of meaningful increases in distances arise, the R&A and the USGA would feel it immediately necessary to seek ways of protecting the game.“

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Only read the first page, but nobody has mentioned the OEMs there.

The biggest pushback on bifurcation will come from them. “Tour” equipment is a big part of their sales pitch to consumers.

Titleist doesn’t want joe average to think his ball isn’t the same Pro V Justin Thomas plays, same thing with Callaway, Ping and Taylormade with their drivers.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

18 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Only read the first page, but nobody has mentioned the OEMs there.

The biggest pushback on bifurcation will come from them. “Tour” equipment is a big part of their sales pitch to consumers.

Titleist doesn’t want joe average to think his ball isn’t the same Pro V Justin Thomas plays, same thing with Callaway, Ping and Taylormade with their drivers.

Extra clubs they’ll have to make...

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I think it's appropriate to say this again, there is absolutely nothing new regarding bifurcation in today's release.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Bifurcation was the last major project I worked on before retiring... and that's all I can say about that without getting jail time 😉

As it pertains to our sport, I'm in the wait and see group.  Already some great points made for and against - not too much to add there.  I guess my biggest disappointment is that they chose this route first rather than some of the other options, like turf length, that is easy to do and, at worst, dosen't solve the pro distance thingy.  It just seems this is the nuclear option.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, LICC said:

Here is an example that it isn't predominantly equipment advances.    45 year old golfer (non long drive competitor where they were getting 350 during that timeframe as well) getting 300+ with 25 year old equipment.  Todays players could do the exact same thing.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

For me it's less about the actual bifurcation than it is that I just flat-out disagree with the reasoning they're pushing for implementing it. I don't think distance is an issue, but rather people are making it an issue by refusing to adapt to the way the modern game is played. When you have architects who are unwilling to adapt their so-called design intent, which is another rabbit hole I don't wish to go down at this point, but would instead just rather take the hard earned distance advantage away from someone like Bryson so they feel better about the number on the bottom of the club he hit into a green, it's not something I can get behind.

Golf is a game built around getting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes possible. How you get there shouldn't matter. There's a lot of ways to shoot the same score in golf. But it still takes a complete game to win on tour. Time and time again we see this reflected in the player hoisting the trophy at the end of the week.

This is just my opinion of course and I've gotten involved in far too many Twitter discussions on the topic in the past that have basically gone nowhere. I don't expect my take to sway any opinions here either on this topic but I'm sharing it anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The only problem with that is you cant just continue to make golf courses longer.  Golf already has ecological issues with land use and theres some courses that simply cant be lengthened.  Does anyone really want to see a course like Pebble Beach eliminated as a possible major championship venue?

If something isnt done, a lot of classic courses will have to be eliminated.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

6 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

At some point the pro game will be like watching a combo of a long drive contest and the national miniature golf championship.

Now that's funny 🤣.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, BadgerGolfer said:

The only problem with that is you cant just continue to make golf courses longer.  Golf already has ecological issues with land use and theres some courses that simply cant be lengthened.  Does anyone really want to see a course like Pebble Beach eliminated as a possible major championship venue?

If something isnt done, a lot of classic courses will have to be eliminated.

I don't really want to get too in the weeds on this or have a discussion really cause as I've said earlier, I doubt I'll sway anyone and I've heard every argument in favour of a ball rollback and not one has done anything to sway me either so rather than having a pointless discussion, I'll just address how I view the lengthening the golf course issue and you can take it for whatever its worth to you.

I don't agree that the only way to combat distance gains on tour is to lengthen the golf course. There are other alternatives available, some of which have been mentioned in this thread already, that will help with golf's sustainability and environmental impact already. Plus, most courses on Tour aren't even using their full available yardage when hosting a tournament and when they do, it's usually only during one round. Lou Stagner has done plenty of research about this already and the info is on his Twitter account if you'd like to have a look.

I don't think courses like Pebble Beach will ever be made obsolete unless the governing bodies and architects refuse to adapt their design philosophies to actually meet the modern game. And currently the only design philosophy they have in regards to that is lengthening the course, but that just continues to not make much of a difference at all. Adam Scott said it at Bellerive for the PGA Championship a couple years back, the length of the course doesn't matter to them. How the course plays is what dictates winning score more often than the actual yardage on the golf course. And then there's the added con that a 7,800+ yard golf course only favours the bombers more. The unnecessary lengthening of courses to force the longest hitters on tour, who account for such a small percentage of players on tour anyway, into hitting mid to long irons into greens only hurts the shorter players. Lengthening the golf course to those levels takes a huge chunk of the field out of contention before the tournament even starts. That's not to say a 280 yard hitter can NEVER win on a 7,800 yard course, they just have absolutely no room for error on a course like that.

As I said before, there's a lot of ways to shoot 68 in golf but the only way to win golf tournaments consistently is to play a complete game across all facets. That's what I care about. That the player who played the best golf wins the tournament and that's usually the case every week on Tour. Anyways, that's all I have to say on the topic right now.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

Here is an example that it isn't predominantly equipment advances.    45 year old golfer (non long drive competitor where they were getting 350 during that timeframe as well) getting 300+ with 25 year old equipment.  Todays players could do the exact same thing.  

Eh. This is silliness from a salesman. I'm talking about the Tour, and I'm not putting stock into some indoor simulator readings.

A few years ago a number of Tour pros, the big hitters, (I believe Tony Finau and Jason Kokrak among them) hit old Ben Hogan clubs on a range, with modern balls. IIRC, they averaged 260-270 with the driver. And then after that at a tournament at Cherry Hills, a number of Tour pros, including Rory McIlroy, hit the old driver and balls off the first tee to recreate Arnold Palmer driving the green at the 1960 US Open. No one came close. Rory did the best reaching the bunker at the front of the green.

12 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

The unnecessary lengthening of courses to force the longest hitters on tour, who account for such a small percentage of players on tour anyway

Last year, 72 players averaged 300+ yard drives. 117 players averaged 295+.

15 hours ago, Middler said:

Whether these increases in distance emanate from advancing equipment technology, greater athleticism of players, improved player coaching, golf course conditioning or a combination of these or other factors, they will have the impact of seriously reducing the challenge of the game.

That is a speculative statement, not a conclusion.

The best example for your hypothesis is Scott Stallings. For years on Tour he was very overweight and out of shape with no fitness regimen. He then incorporated diligent weight-training, cross-fit type training, etc., and became very fit and in shape. And it resulted in no increase in his driving distance.

I analogize it to throwing a baseball. The fast-twitch muscles used for that type of athletic movement do not get much enhanced by weight training. Someone may get slightly marginal increases, but no one is going from throwing an 85mph fastball to a 95mph fastball by lifting weights.

Edited by LICC

3 minutes ago, LICC said:

That is a speculative statement, not a conclusion.

The best example for your hypothesis is Scott Stallings. For years on Tour he was very overweight and out of shape with no fitness regimen. He then incorporated diligent weight-training, cross-fit type training, etc., and became very fit and in shape. And it resulted in no increase in his driving distance.

I analogize it to throwing a baseball. The fast-twitch muscles used for that type of athletic movement do not get much enhanced by weight training. Someone may get slightly marginal increases, but no one is going from throwing an 85mph fastball to a 95mph fastball by lifting weights.

Same argument you used to make on wrx befor getting banned there and you were proven wrong numerous times on that side in similar threads and never admitted to being shown wrong. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

58 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Same argument you used to make on wrx befor getting banned there and you were proven wrong numerous times on that side in similar threads and never admitted to being shown wrong. 

Which shows why the mygolfspy forum is so great. It doesn't have a bunch of overly sensitive, insecure cancel-culture types.

Either I saw an interview or read an article. But in any case I think it was Greg Norman. He said the easiest way to address this issue was to restrict the tee height. Then they proceeded to show how they are now using longer tees to hit up on the ball much more than in the past. They showed Bryson's ball on the tee and his swing path and compared it to a shorter tee and the path it needs to take.

Could this help? I don't know, but I thought it was a very different approach to the distance issue.     

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

16 minutes ago, LICC said:

Which shows why the mygolfspy forum is so great. It doesn't have a bunch of overly sensitive, insecure cancel-culture types.

Iirc it wasn’t so much cancel culture but rather your constant blocking of people who proved your take wrong in numerous occasions, then flagging their posts when they disagreed with you and your constant harping on the subjects with the same rhetoric in multiple threads. At least from what my memory recalls from surfing the site 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1