Planned 2030 Golf Ball Rollback

PMookie

Forum Member Opinions  

584 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  2. 2. Do you watch or care about the PGA Tour and other professional Tours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  3. 3. Do you wish there was a Tour Only golf ball?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  4. 4. Do you want to play all the same equipment like the pros play?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  5. 5. Do you feel your game will be dramatically effected by the rollback in 2030?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  6. 6. Will loosing any distance take away significant enjoyment in golfing for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably not
  7. 7. Would you quit golf because of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Would you prefer bifurcation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  9. 9. Is this all too early and we need to wait and see what more will happen over the next few years?

• Definitely
    • No, this needs to be addressed now
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Local rules have been used for a long time. Two of the bigger ones are the tours one ball rule and use of distance measuring devices.

When has a local rule ever been considered for the purpose of using distance limiting equipment? That is new. Indisputably new. And it is big news, as it was covered and highlighted by every major golf publication. 

Why do you have to try to disagree with anything I say? What is your problem? I pointed out what Golf Channel, Golf Digest, etc pointed out. If this was absolutely nothing then they all got it wrong too? It’s like you just want to argue with anything I say. 

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

That nearly identical wording appeared in the Conclusions to the Distance Insights Report just about 12 months ago.  I bet you could find a lengthy discussion about it starting then.  Its not new.

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2020/distance-insights/SOC-FINAL.pdf

And they have now officially proposed the research and called for participants. The next step has been taken. Thus the reason it has been published as news by all the outlets. 

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I feel like I do this ever couple of days, but I'll repeat myself.  There's nothing new.  From the 2020 release of the Conclusions:

"It is not currently intended to consider revising the overall specifications in a way that would produce substantial reductions in hitting distances at all levels of the game."

From the February 2021 release"

" It would not consider revising the overall specifications to produce substantial reductions in hitting distances at all levels of the game"

Now they DO list a few of the specific things they will review, but there is really NOTHING NEW!  We've had 10 pages of talk, sparked by a rather alarmist "Bifurcation Coming!" thread title, but there's no reason to get all atwitter.

It seems odd they opted to state it that way... "at all levels of the game".  Unless I have grossly missed the basis of this whole subject, it is their concern about pro tour average driving distances.  Amateur distances have never been a basis of this subject - correct? Why not clearly state this and that any equipment changes will only affect professional level golf?  Maybe it's just me, but these generic, open ended statements ("it's not currently intended", etc.) leave lots of room for speculation and churn within the golfing community. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, LICC said:

Why do you have to try to disagree with anything I say? What is your problem? I pointed out what Golf Channel, Golf Digest, etc pointed out. If this was absolutely nothing then they all got it wrong too? It’s like you just want to argue with anything I say. 

Just as you are disagreeing with everything I and others have said about their not being a distance problem and potential impacts to the game.   My position nor your position is right or wrong.  No matter how much data or how many charts you present, it is simply an opinion about golf.   This topic is no different than dress codes, music on the course, manufacturer claims, etc.   ultimately the R&A and the USGA will make a decision and people will be happy and people won't be happy.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Just as you are disagreeing with everything I and others have said about their not being a distance problem and potential impacts to the game.   My position nor your position is right or wrong.  No matter how much data or how many charts you present, it is simply an opinion about golf.   This topic is no different than dress codes, music on the course, manufacturer claims, etc.   ultimately the R&A and the USGA will make a decision and people will be happy and people won't be happy.    

I’ve posted at least once where I agreed with things you said. At this point you are just making yourself look foolish saying silly things to try to nitpick disagreement with any post I make. 

21 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Just checking in to see what's new since yesterday.......... nothing

here ya go, Kenny. did you bring the cokes?

image.gif.2d5ae790c3ec361e92cb0d58cd7513dc.gif

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

On 2/3/2021 at 10:02 PM, cnosil said:

The boom was because of Tiger Woods.  Also,  if equipment was such a limitation,  why were long drive competitors able to do this:

• 1990 – Frank Miller, 328 yards
  • 1991 – Art Sellinger, 326 yards
  • 1992 – Monte Scheinblum 329 yards
  • 1993 – Brian Pavlet, 336 yards
  • 1994 – Darryl Anderson, 345 yards
  • 1995 – Sean Fister, 362 yards
  • 1996 – Jason Zuback (🇨🇦Canada) 351 yards
  • 1997 – Jason Zuback (🇨🇦Canada) 412 yards
  • 1998 – Jason Zuback (🇨🇦Canada) 361 yards
  • 1999 – Jason Zuback (🇨🇦Canada) 376 yards
  • 2000 – Viktor Johansson (🇸🇪Sweden) 315 yards

Todays players would have the ability to accomplish those same distances if they were using clubs from the 90s because they swing faster than tour players from the 90s.  That is not an equipment thing but a physical ability thing.  

I do know the difference; you said longer, not a category.  A GW is longer than a SW; so a 1 club "reduction" is all you are looking for?

In your opinion they aren't complicated issues.  

In your opinion the Tour game has been degraded.  

Your last statement is really your problem statement and what you think needs to be fixed:  " The problem is that the Tour game has been degraded by the massive distance gains from equipment advances. I detailed how earlier. It’s still good to watch for golf fans, but it could be better."

I don't see the tour game as being degraded by massive distance gains.  How those gain were achieved is not important because people were able to exceed 400 yards with 90s equipment.   But I personally enjoy the state of the game and hope it doesn't change. 

Funny you posted the distances; turns out my new Xphlexxx shaft has all of the winning distances printed on it!!!

A6C33E9A-EBA6-4036-B178-6984155C4317.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I wasn't going to say anything more to you but you've just crossed the line here by insulting another regular contributor on this site.

I find it fascinating how you take issue with cnosil disagreeing with you throughout this thread when the majority of this thread is you disagreeing with everyone holding a position against bifurcation or that distance isn't an issue.

I specifically stated early in the thread I didn't want to discuss this topic with you further after a couple posts and yet you continued to post disagreements to other comments I made. Frankly, some of your posts in this thread are just alarmingly inaccurate, but again I have no wish to debate the issue with you or anyone else for that matter.

I am merely addressing the fact that this is l, I believe the third time in this thread, that you have insulted a regular member of this forum for disagreeing with you.

I'm not sure what your goal in this thread has been but the reason this thread has been such a slog has been directly related to your actions throughout and I, for one, am tired of seeing this continue.

I’ve posted at least once where I agreed with things you said. At this point you are just making yourself look foolish saying silly things to try to nitpick disagreement with any post I make. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

8 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I wasn't going to say anything more to you but you've just crossed the line here by insulting another regular contributor on this site.

I find it fascinating how you take issue with cnosil disagreeing with you throughout this thread when the majority of this thread is you disagreeing with everyone holding a position against bifurcation or that distance isn't an issue.

I specifically stated early in the thread I didn't want to discuss this topic with you further after a couple posts and yet you continued to post disagreements to other comments I made. Frankly, some of your posts in this thread are just alarmingly inaccurate, but again I have no wish to debate the issue with you or anyone else for that matter.

I am merely addressing the fact that this is l, I believe the third time in this thread, that you have insulted a regular member of this forum for disagreeing with you.

I'm not sure what your goal in this thread has been but the reason this thread has been such a slog has been directly related to your actions throughout and I, for one, am tired of seeing this continue.

I haven’t personally insulted anyone nor initiated any negative personal comment toward anyone. I’ve been attacked and insulted several times without provocation (called a fool, troll, lack reading comprehension). Go back and look, I’ve never gone after anyone. That said, I will respond, civilly, when someone attacks me. If you don’t like it, and only want to see comments that agree with whatever view you have, then don’t read it. 

I'll admit I haven't read every page on this topic. But on a lighter note, the USGA and R&A can do anything they want but I don't have to adhere to their rules. There will always be clubs and balls that don't conform to their rules and specifications too. I'm going to play the game to where it's the most fun for me regardless of what they do. 

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

4 minutes ago, braincramp said:

I'll admit I haven't read every page on this topic. But on a lighter note, the USGA and R&A can do anything they want but I don't have to adhere to their rules. There will always be clubs and balls that don't conform to their rules and specifications too. I'm going to play the game to where it's the most fun for me regardless of what they do. 

Same here. I don’t play in tournaments, so I don’t need to play equipment that abides by the guidelines set forth for tournament play. Golf is supposed to be fun. Play what helps MAKE it fun!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

16 hours ago, LICC said:

And they have now officially proposed the research and called for participants. The next step has been taken. Thus the reason it has been published as news by all the outlets. 

I see now, completely clear.

"In a few months we're going to begin to study THIS."

A year passes.

"A year has passed, COVID delayed our plans, but our study is going to start, exactly along the lines originally proposed"

WHOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!  Bifurcation is coming, its right around the corner!!!

The media is making a big deal out of this because they need to fill air time.  

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

It seems odd they opted to state it that way... "at all levels of the game".  Unless I have grossly missed the basis of this whole subject, it is their concern about pro tour average driving distances.  Amateur distances have never been a basis of this subject - correct? Why not clearly state this and that any equipment changes will only affect professional level golf?  Maybe it's just me, but these generic, open ended statements ("it's not currently intended", etc.) leave lots of room for speculation and churn within the golfing community. 

To the extent that the data is available, they've definitely considered data from all levels of players.  Some of the data is summarized starting on Page 18 here: 

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/RSI/distance-insights-2021-docs/2020 Distance Report 26-01-2021.pdf

There's more information presented in the 100-page Distance Insights Report, and more detail available in the 56 additional reports in the Distance Insights Library.

In reading the Conclusions, they identify two basic fields for future study, but do not want to limit themselves.  Those two fields are:  methods through which they can stop additional equipment-related distance gains, and the possibility of developing a (voluntary) local rule to essentially bifurcate the equipment rules.  To simplify, how do we stop future increases from equipment?  Can we find a way to decrease distance for the very top level players?  We might want some guarantee that the Ruling Bodies will NEVER change global equipment rules to reduce distance, but they would be foolish to say that.  None of us knows the future, the Ruling Bodies simply don't know what could be required down the road somewhere.  I'm certain that if the USGA/R&A were to say "We'll never change the rules to decrease distance for everyone", they'd be labelled (by some of us) as liars trying to minimize PR problems.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Forgot all this distance limiting. For the recreational player that don’t care about competition or handicap one of the OEMs needs to put out a driver that is the full capability of what they can do without all the restrictions and let some people have some fun!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Forgot all this distance limiting. For the recreational player that don’t care about competition or handicap one of the OEMs needs to put out a driver that is the full capability of what they can do without all the restrictions and let some people have some fun!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

And I am fine with this and this is what@LICC has been stating. I think it sounds fine in theory but I personally believe that If implemented it would impact the golf at all levels; not just the PGA tour. Yes, there will be people that don’t care and play whatever they want just like is done today.

If you want an illegal driver, I believe callaway marketed on for a while but it wasn’t successful or you could shave the face to make
It hotter. I think many people want to play the same equipment as pros so they can do comparisons.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I see now, completely clear.

"In a few months we're going to begin to study THIS."

A year passes.

"A year has passed, COVID delayed our plans, but our study is going to start, exactly along the lines originally proposed"

WHOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!  Bifurcation is coming, its right around the corner!!!

The media is making a big deal out of this because they need to fill air time.  

To the extent that the data is available, they've definitely considered data from all levels of players.  Some of the data is summarized starting on Page 18 here: 

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/RSI/distance-insights-2021-docs/2020 Distance Report 26-01-2021.pdf

There's more information presented in the 100-page Distance Insights Report, and more detail available in the 56 additional reports in the Distance Insights Library.

In reading the Conclusions, they identify two basic fields for future study, but do not want to limit themselves.  Those two fields are:  methods through which they can stop additional equipment-related distance gains, and the possibility of developing a (voluntary) local rule to essentially bifurcate the equipment rules.  To simplify, how do we stop future increases from equipment?  Can we find a way to decrease distance for the very top level players?  We might want some guarantee that the Ruling Bodies will NEVER change global equipment rules to reduce distance, but they would be foolish to say that.  None of us knows the future, the Ruling Bodies simply don't know what could be required down the road somewhere.  I'm certain that if the USGA/R&A were to say "We'll never change the rules to decrease distance for everyone", they'd be labelled (by some of us) as liars trying to minimize PR problems.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that, were we to conduct a forum poll asking "Do you feel you hit the ball too far?", it would be NO by a landslide.  I haven't looked at the non pro data in their report but, presuming it reflects what we see out on the courses we play, I'd be very surprised it would be fall into the excessive distance issue.

The R&A and USGA needs to limit this to pro level golf.  If college or other pro-like amateur players want to adopt whatever they decide, fine with me.... but leave the 97% of us mere mortals out of the mess. 

On 2/5/2021 at 1:11 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

Yes, adjusting will make it difficult and extend the learning curve. I think it was Weiskopf that said he switched to the bigger ball when he was still an AM because he knew he was going to go pro and wanted to get a head start on it. The difference now being that the Amateur game is a pseudo minor leagues at this point, where as previously it was just used to get tournament experience. If they push it down to the college level to allow them to adjust during that time then IMO it will get pushed to everyone and there is no bifurcation. It is not as simple as I am playing the pro ball so I am 1 club shorter. There are so many variables that would be affected by the change. Traj, spin, flight etc...

What Weiskopf was talking about in those days you had the smaller European ball which would go like a scalded cat. Those balls were legal for play in R&A sanctioned events but not over here in USGA sanctioned events. I do not think the smaller ball was sold retail here but you could still get them. My Old Man had a Pro friend based in England who used to ship them over. He had Titleist , Penfold, Spalding Dot and Dunlop 65s shipped over. All the gamblers and hustlers used them. My Old Man made a mint off of them. And I am real sure my old man was not the only one getting them shipped over. I know usually before going over to The Open all the big name players practiced with the smaller ball because they go better into the wind and they played it over there. I remember one of our guys in Jr high got DQ for playing one because someone called him on it. He was not trying to cheat but had found the ball and after all it was a new Titleist so he played it. This guy was like our #5 player and was not really a golfer and did not know. I know it embarassed him and he quit the golf team and golf period. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

12 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I haven't looked at the non pro data in their report but, presuming it reflects what we see out on the courses we play, I'd be very surprised it would be fall into the excessive distance issue.

As I read things, the USGA/R&A agree with this.  That's why they have no plans to reduce distance for the vast majority of us.  

20 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

Its time for The Hammer!!

https://hammergolf.com/sp/hammer-free-official-site/?utm_campaign=brand-us&utm_source=google&utm_medium=brand&utm_content=8437,12191688621,117484878415,494853958524&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvP6ABhCjARIsAH37rbSp_1LIJkIqmuFRj7h-bBiDGsogaLlFkQRCGTmgcNLKKMFLdhkCwjsaAvFYEALw_wcB

Add 50 yards instantly!  Hit it dead straight!!

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

As I read things, the USGA/R&A agree with this.  That's why they have no plans to reduce distance for the vast majority of us.  

Its time for The Hammer!!

https://hammergolf.com/sp/hammer-free-official-site/?utm_campaign=brand-us&utm_source=google&utm_medium=brand&utm_content=8437,12191688621,117484878415,494853958524&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvP6ABhCjARIsAH37rbSp_1LIJkIqmuFRj7h-bBiDGsogaLlFkQRCGTmgcNLKKMFLdhkCwjsaAvFYEALw_wcB

Add 50 yards instantly!  Hit it dead straight!!

Does one have to perfect the caveman yell in order to get all of "the hammers" distance? 😆

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

Does one have to perfect the caveman yell in order to get all of "the hammers" distance? 😆

I'm assuming that there's an included  instructional video on 3.5" floppy disk that will help you to learn the yell.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The topic of distance is a funny one because no matter what the USGA and R&A do, someone is going to be unhappy.  If they do nothing, the traditionalists will be unhappy because modern equipment is, "ruining the game" and if they do something to limit distance, the weekend hackers and pros will be unhappy because its limiting their performance.

I honestly dont know what the right answer is but I do have concerns with distance as it currently is and what it could be in the future because, as Ive said many times in the past, you cant just keep making golf courses longer and longer, for many reasons.  Some courses simply dont have the space and cant just buy up more land to make the course longer, not to mention the costs associated with watering, fertilizing and mowing more and more grass.  Especially with courses where they have limits on water usage and are in places that often face drought, its a real problem for them.  So, telling them, "just make your course longer" isnt a good solution.

I also think its an interesting one because how do you compare different eras of golf when the equipment is so different.  As someone who often plays vintage clubs, I can tell you that playing a modern, 460cc driver is vastly different than playing an old, 180cc persimmon wood.  Not to mention the difference in all the other clubs in the bag.  Really, irons are the only part of the bag where I feel that modern gear isnt lightyears better.  I'll put my old Mizuno blades up against any modern iron and feel like they would win that comparison, especially if you compare them with modern irons of similar loft.

To me, a good comparison would be baseball.  Could you imagine if they told baseball players that they could use aluminum bats?  It would turn baseball into a home run derby.  Can you imagine then, that when people complained, they told the teams to just build bigger ballparks?  It just wouldnt work and thats kind of where I feel like it is with golf.

Now, I know that Im a traditionalist.  If it were up to me, metalwoods, graphite shafts and oversize mallet putters like the Spyder would be bananed because, to me, they take away from the sporting aspect of the game, to a certain extent.  

However, you also have those who would tell you that forcing that equipment on people takes away from their enjoyment of the game and that making golf more difficult would drive people away, which is a fair argument.

Personally, I dont really care what they do but I am kind of tired of it coming up all the time.  I'll show up to the course and play with whatever gear I can and have a great time either way.  If that means that I play a ball that the pros dont play or I play a ball that only gives me 80% of my current distance; so be it.

For me, my enjoyment of golf has much more to do with just the joy of playing and not so much with the score I shoot or how far I can hit the ball.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

OK I must admit I only perused all of the comments.  I believe a few pros have been right on in indicating that course set up and  other things can be done to curb the Pro game. 

And someone help me out in explaining to me how a weekend player who is playing from tees too far back, will be changed by shortening how far his shots go.  If having to hit 3 or  4 iron approach shots into every par 4 he plays isn't enough on its own to have him move up a tee, I'm pretty sure he'll be just as likely to convince himself that he can now  get that 3 wood there.  My experience has been that people playing from the wrong tees is based on a couple of things, ego, and complete inability to accurately judge their own ability.  News Flash!  Most people who say they drive it 260 off the tee are actually only hitting it 220-235( no rule or equipment change is likely to affect this).  The guy in my example here is going to continue to play from the wrong tees, and convince himself that he can "swing harder", or that the tip he read will make up the distance "that He Should Have" ...."that he is NEVER GOING TO HAVE! 

In terms of the pro game. How about "differential risk".  How about rough 250 yards from the green(5I for pros give or take) that is 4" long, and rough 90 yards from the green that is 14" + inches deep.  Fairways 300 yards from the tee that are 15 yards wide, and at 330 yards from the tee that are 4 yards wide.  So on the 420 yard  par 4 if they want that 90 yard wedge shot, the risk is entering rough that will actually be a hindrance.  The same goes for bunkers.  How about pro fairway bunkers that actually impede the pro from reaching the green in 2 if he ends up in one.  The same for greenside bunkers, and rough.  Make accuracy count.  Make it questionable as to if they will be able to get out of either on their first shot if they go into it.  A HAZARD  should actually interfere with a pro's ability to get the ball closer to the hole.  I believe you can make accuracy count for them without monkeying with equipment design.

I agree with Rory, the weekend hacker game is still very difficult, and many who try it don't stick with it. The USGA should be promoting anything and everything to make it easier to keep people involved.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 2/7/2021 at 12:32 PM, BadgerGolfer said:

The topic of distance is a funny one because no matter what the USGA and R&A do, someone is going to be unhappy.  If they do nothing, the traditionalists will be unhappy because modern equipment is, "ruining the game" and if they do something to limit distance, the weekend hackers and pros will be unhappy because its limiting their performance.

I honestly dont know what the right answer is but I do have concerns with distance as it currently is and what it could be in the future because, as Ive said many times in the past, you cant just keep making golf courses longer and longer, for many reasons.  Some courses simply dont have the space and cant just buy up more land to make the course longer, not to mention the costs associated with watering, fertilizing and mowing more and more grass.  Especially with courses where they have limits on water usage and are in places that often face drought, its a real problem for them.  So, telling them, "just make your course longer" isnt a good solution.

I also think its an interesting one because how do you compare different eras of golf when the equipment is so different.  As someone who often plays vintage clubs, I can tell you that playing a modern, 460cc driver is vastly different than playing an old, 180cc persimmon wood.  Not to mention the difference in all the other clubs in the bag.  Really, irons are the only part of the bag where I feel that modern gear isnt lightyears better.  I'll put my old Mizuno blades up against any modern iron and feel like they would win that comparison, especially if you compare them with modern irons of similar loft.

To me, a good comparison would be baseball.  Could you imagine if they told baseball players that they could use aluminum bats?  It would turn baseball into a home run derby.  Can you imagine then, that when people complained, they told the teams to just build bigger ballparks?  It just wouldnt work and thats kind of where I feel like it is with golf.

Now, I know that Im a traditionalist.  If it were up to me, metalwoods, graphite shafts and oversize mallet putters like the Spyder would be bananed because, to me, they take away from the sporting aspect of the game, to a certain extent.  

However, you also have those who would tell you that forcing that equipment on people takes away from their enjoyment of the game and that making golf more difficult would drive people away, which is a fair argument.

Personally, I dont really care what they do but I am kind of tired of it coming up all the time.  I'll show up to the course and play with whatever gear I can and have a great time either way.  If that means that I play a ball that the pros dont play or I play a ball that only gives me 80% of my current distance; so be it.

For me, my enjoyment of golf has much more to do with just the joy of playing and not so much with the score I shoot or how far I can hit the ball.

Basically I am like you I play my persimmon and blades but also play the modern stuff too. As far as  banning something outright like I said earlier most golfers could care less what the powers that be do. They are going to do what you and I do play what they want. Now I learned something when I was hurt and healing up. I sat darn near everyday on the patio at my course drinking coffee and smoking a cigar. I can see our 10th tee and 18th green. One thing I observed darn near everyone regardless of age can basically hit a modern driver. And I have seen hybrids save the game so to speak for a lot of older players. My hatred of the USGA started with the anchor ban. Lots of older retirees putted with them because of back issues or the shakes due to meds. When the Anchoring ban took effect a lot of the folks were going to quit league play if not the game all together. What most of the clubs here did was make the long putters legal for league play anchored or non anchored. Yep the courses stood to lose a lot of money if say even 20% of the retirees quit playing the game. My now home course would have been a prime example with 2 men's member groups and 2 Ladies members groups. Yep the USGA is not in touch with the golfing public period nor are they interested about the welfare of golf courses

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

17 hours ago, LICC said:

baseball <> golf

golf <> baseball

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

On 2/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, FrogginBullfish said:

For me it's less about the actual bifurcation than it is that I just flat-out disagree with the reasoning they're pushing for implementing it. I don't think distance is an issue, but rather people are making it an issue by refusing to adapt to the way the modern game is played. When you have architects who are unwilling to adapt their so-called design intent, which is another rabbit hole I don't wish to go down at this point, but would instead just rather take the hard earned distance advantage away from someone like Bryson so they feel better about the number on the bottom of the club he hit into a green, it's not something I can get behind.

Golf is a game built around getting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes possible. How you get there shouldn't matter. There's a lot of ways to shoot the same score in golf. But it still takes a complete game to win on tour. Time and time again we see this reflected in the player hoisting the trophy at the end of the week.

This is just my opinion of course and I've gotten involved in far too many Twitter discussions on the topic in the past that have basically gone nowhere. I don't expect my take to sway any opinions here either on this topic but I'm sharing it anyway<a href="https://hithills.com/">.</a>

nice to read this

43 minutes ago, alina robert said:

nice to read this

Architects changing course design to deal with only the .001% of Tour golfers would lead to an even worse result than when Trent Jones started doing just that years ago- boring one-dimensional courses. Having courses with strategic choices, risk-reward decisions, choices on angles, etc is preferable to penal, one target setups. 

25 minutes ago, LICC said:

Architects changing course design to deal with only the .001% of Tour golfers

Architects are changing course designs to make the new courses marketable to consumers like us.  Too many golfers don't want to visit or join a course unless its "championship caliber", and a big part of that judgement is based on length from the tips.  It doesn't matter that players will never play the tips, they want a championship experience.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Architects are changing course designs to make the new courses marketable to consumers like us.  Too many golfers don't want to visit or join a course unless its "championship caliber", and a big part of that judgement is based on length from the tips.  It doesn't matter that players will never play the tips, they want a championship experience.

The trend for twenty+ years has been away from the “Championship”, Tour-ready difficulty course designs toward more minimalist, naturalist, wider fairways, and more strategic option designs. Design has moved away from the Trent Jones, Rees Jones, early Nicklaus styles to the Coore and Crenshaw, Tim Doak, Gil Hanse styles. David McClay Kidd started that way, got heavy criticism for moving to more difficult setups, and responded with changing again to courses with the massively wide fairways and different playing options. Nicklaus has adjusted his style with the times. The highest profile courses, public and private, in the last 20 years have been in this style. 

Edited by LICC

18 minutes ago, LICC said:

The trend for twenty+ years has been away from the “Championship”, Tour-ready difficulty course designs toward more minimalist, naturalist, wider fairways, and more strategic option designs. Design has moved away from the Trent Jones, Rees Jones, early Nicklaus styles to the Coore and Crenshaw, Tim Doak, Gil Hanse styles. David McClay Kidd started that way, got heavy criticism for moving to more difficult setups, and responded with changing again to courses with the massively wide fairways and different playing options. Nicklaus has adjusted his style with the times. The highest profile courses, public and private, in the last 20 years have been in this style. 

Yea gonna disagree there. Can kind of sim it up better from this article. Last paragraph on putting in championship conditions. I would be willing to bet if a local course claimed “these conditions are like (insert any professional course) come down and play” we would all go down and play.....
A705D7CA-9C16-4E2A-97BC-541E6396DD63.jpeg.91403ee8cedcdd7845ba600434971276.jpeg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/travel/5-key-golf-course-design-features-pros-amateurs/amp/

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!