Planned 2030 Golf Ball Rollback

PMookie

Forum Member Opinions  

584 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  2. 2. Do you watch or care about the PGA Tour and other professional Tours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  3. 3. Do you wish there was a Tour Only golf ball?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  4. 4. Do you want to play all the same equipment like the pros play?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  5. 5. Do you feel your game will be dramatically effected by the rollback in 2030?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  6. 6. Will loosing any distance take away significant enjoyment in golfing for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably not
  7. 7. Would you quit golf because of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Would you prefer bifurcation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  9. 9. Is this all too early and we need to wait and see what more will happen over the next few years?

• Definitely
    • No, this needs to be addressed now
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

Because it is the equipment that is the predominant source of the distance explosion. Cut the fairways a little higher and you will get a few yards less roll. Make every course extremely penal and one-dimensional and you get boring golf.

You have said that you want more risk/reward golf. Given how strokes gained works, what does non boring golf look like to you?
We have talked about 10 at riviera, given that players hit the ball some distance you look at where to can hit it and hit it as far as you can. Distances will change but strategies won’t. I know you don’t like Scott Fawcett but if you ignore the person and look at the methodology that is how golf is played. Decisions are based on facts and not emotion or where the player is positioned in a field.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

59 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You have said that you want more risk/reward golf. Given how strokes gained works, what does non boring golf look like to you?
We have talked about 10 at riviera, given that players hit the ball some distance you look at where to can hit it and hit it as far as you can. Distances will change but strategies won’t. I know you don’t like Scott Fawcett but if you ignore the person and look at the methodology that is how golf is played. Decisions are based on facts and not emotion or where the player is positioned in a field.

I agree again, we can't roll back the clock on knowledge.  The idea of Strokes Gained cannot and will not ever be replaced in golf.  Lowest Score wins, Decade, Every Shot Counts, there's just too much knowledge available.  Players will never go back to "lay up to a good yardage" when statistics show that they'll score lower by hitting it as close as possible.  We may prefer a different style of play, but smart players are going to use whatever style gets them to the best scores.

Let me edit this to add, Strokes Gained may at some point be replaced.  The knowledge won't go away, but we may find out down the road that better statistical evaluations become available.  Nothing is forever, but knowledge generally grows, we won't be going backwards.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Having the ball land 20-30 yards closer than otherwise will changed the strokes gained choices. Players were changing and simplifying their decisions due to increased distance before strokes gained statistics came to be.

Edited by LICC

Having the ball land 20-30 yards closer than otherwise will changed the strokes gained choices. Players were changing and simplifying their decisions due to increased distance before strokes gained statistics came to be.

We will have to disagree on that point; I am pretty sure shotlink shows hole strategy has evolved for all players in the past few years.

You still didn’t answer How do you think your proposed changes will make the game more exciting?

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

You can go to the USGA website and see Distance Reports from 2015 to the present.  Bryson won the US Amateur in 2015, I'm pretty sure they didn't start this project based on some pimply college kid.  The Distance Insights project was begun in early 2018, and in 2017 Bryson ranked #45 in driving distance.  I just don't think Bryson had anything to do with the decision to collect and evaluate distance information.  Similarly, I don't think that spending 2 years to compile and evaluate data is a particularly rash decision.  Spending an additional year to more clearly define additional areas for further evaluation is particularly rash.    

So you don’t think that Bryson’s quest for hitting it longer, what he did at the US Open, his 380 yard drives, the constant media coverage of him and his plan, and the spoken desire by others to follow suit didn’t do anything at all to move the discussion further forward? 
Wow. It’s the most purely coincidental discussion about distance in golf history then....

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

So you don’t think that Bryson’s quest for hitting it longer, what he did at the US Open, his 380 yard drives, the constant media coverage of him and his plan, and the spoken desire by others to follow suit didn’t do anything at all to move the discussion further forward? 
Wow. It’s the most purely coincidental discussion about distance in golf history then....

I don’t think he disagrees that it is part of the discussion today. But as stated the investigation into limiting distance Began before Bryson really started his distance quest. Bryson is the gas being added to the fire to make it seem like a bigger issue.

Just now, PMookie said:

The USGA/R&A released reports in February, 2020, and in the Conclusions they presented their plans for future study.  This was well before Bryson's performance in the US Open.  Twelve months later, they've released more detailed list of the things slated for additional study.  Essentially, the 2021 Report (AB, or After-Bryson) included nearly identical language to the 2020 Report, which was PB (Pre-Bryson).  Based on the extremely minimal changes between the two reports, I'd say Bryson had little or no impact on the findings.  Unless you think they were clairvoyant, and they produced the February 202 report knowing in advance that Bryson would be so successful in his quest for distance, and that he'd win the US Open.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, LICC said:

Carry is a major issue. When players don't even blink at a hazard 280 yards away, that defeats course strategy.

But that capability is involves way fewer players than nearly the entire field getting 20+ yards of rollout...which adds to the total average distance... which is at the core of this discussion.  

But, yes, I get your point.  Dig some new traps where the Big Guns land and problems solved.  Traps are just holes in the ground filled with sand.  They reduce grass which has to lower maintenance costs... what would be the downside?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

23 minutes ago, PMookie said:

We all know that golfers especially at the pro level are trying to hit the ball further but curious who you think has looked at Bryson and said I’m going that route? Or maybe who he’s influenced to look at trying it?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

We will have to disagree on that point; I am pretty sure shotlink shows hole strategy has evolved for all players in the past few years.

You still didn’t answer How do you think your proposed changes will make the game more exciting?

I've said it several times earlier. It would make the game more fun to watch for fans. It would bring back more strategic risk/reward decisions consistent with course designs, more variety of shots and shotmaking, and more challenge.

34 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

We all know that golfers especially at the pro level are trying to hit the ball further but curious who you think has looked at Bryson and said I’m going that route? Or maybe who he’s influenced to look at trying it?

Notice how many of us are doing speed training? How many since Bryson have added it to their workouts? How prevalent it’s become? Sure, folks were doing it before, but every weekend comments on speed training are mentioned. They see what gains Bryson has accomplished and have begun to add various methods to workouts. Good gracious, after he won the US Open it’s all anyone talked about for weeks. Everyone was asked on the podium about Bryson and his results.

43 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Notice how many of us are doing speed training? How many since Bryson have added it to their workouts? How prevalent it’s become? Sure, folks were doing it before, but every weekend comments on speed training are mentioned. They see what gains Bryson has accomplished and have begun to add various methods to workouts. Good gracious, after he won the US Open it’s all anyone talked about for weeks. Everyone was asked on the podium about Bryson and his results.

But was that because of Bryson or because of other data. Phil has been doing superspeed training before Bryson started his journey to get bigger to get longer. Guys like Spieth, Smylie and some others chased the distance and have ruined their games. 

As mentioned getting longer has always been part of the game especially via fitness and training since Tiger came on the scene and various aids have been invented since to help with that. 

Yes everyone is being asked about Bryson and what he’s doing but you won’t hear any of the pros talking about how they are planning to go the Bryson route. 

As far as I see it there’s nobody that has looked at what Bryson has done and said that’s my goal. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As far as I see it there’s nobody that has looked at what Bryson has done and said that’s my goal. 

No just amateurs such as myself seem to have had an uptick with the Bryson changes since it was the transformation I feel like. Off topic but Tiger, Dustin, Rory were long when they arrived on tour and have stayed there. I think Bryson captured the imagination of the average golfer a bit going from pretty long, to longest on tour (with some real high end numbers). I think it showed how much could be gained even for experienced golfers.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

2 hours ago, LICC said:

I've said it several times earlier. It would make the game more fun to watch for fans. It would bring back more strategic risk/reward decisions consistent with course designs, more variety of shots and shotmaking, and more challenge.

It would make it more fun for some golf fans.   What do you consider a strategic risk reward decision and how would shots be more varied and what do you consider shotmaking?  You have said you don't like target golf in another thread.      How would it be any different that hit the ball as far as possible off the tee with driver and instead of a short iron hit a mid iron into the green.  Maybe you make more par 5s 3 shot holes.    I don't see much strategy change other than hitting a longer club into the green. 

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

It would make it more fun for some golf fans.   What do you consider a strategic risk reward decision and how would shots be more varied and what do you consider shotmaking?  You have said you don't like target golf in another thread.      How would it be any different that hit the ball as far as possible off the tee with driver and instead of a short iron hit a mid iron into the green.  Maybe you make more par 5s 3 shot holes.    I don't see much strategy change other than hitting a longer club into the green. 

Really? You don't see how if you can't fly a hazard, and that hazard is strategically located in a risk-reward manner, that you now have to consider how to play your shot? You don't see how the difference between being in the fairway and being in the rough takes on more impact the farther away you are from the green? I can't believe you don't understand this.

14 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

But was that because of Bryson or because of other data. Phil has been doing superspeed training before Bryson started his journey to get bigger to get longer. Guys like Spieth, Smylie and some others chased the distance and have ruined their games. 

As mentioned getting longer has always been part of the game especially via fitness and training since Tiger came on the scene and various aids have been invented since to help with that. 

Yes everyone is being asked about Bryson and what he’s doing but you won’t hear any of the pros talking about how they are planning to go the Bryson route. 

Goes to show everyone's style is different--- You have to play to your strengths--- Back in the day Corey pavin was short compared to Nicklaus and Jim Dent but man was he was one heck of a long iron player and putter.  Jordan has one heck of a short game and is usually a fantastic putter. I think his driving woes frustrated his overall game some but I think he is getting his head together. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

18 hours ago, LICC said:

What you are describing is your personal preference.  Shorter distance would NOT make it more fun for all fans, only for a percentage of them.  This is a line of reasoning I have an issue with, golf is about getting the ball in the hole, not a particular preferred style of play.  I really don't mind that more modern players have come up with better ways of getting the ball in the hole, I don't care that distance has made the traditional shot values somewhat obsolete, or has at least changed the relative importance of certain skills.  That's simply the evolution of golf.  Bobby Jones said that Nicklaus played a game with which he (Jones) was not familiar, but he didn't claim that Jack was somehow ruining the game, or making it less exciting.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

13 hours ago, LICC said:

Really? You don't see how if you can't fly a hazard, and that hazard is strategically located in a risk-reward manner, that you now have to consider how to play your shot? You don't see how the difference between being in the fairway and being in the rough takes on more impact the farther away you are from the green? I can't believe you don't understand this.

If it is determined that the hazard is too big of a penalty if they land there, they play short of the hazard - no risk reward or new decision on how to play a shot.   

Yes,  being in the fairway vs being in the rough has more impact the farther you are from the green.  But that same difference occurs using todays lengths.  All you are doing is making them play a longer club. 

I understand completely.     Player gets on tee box and knows how far they hit the ball and the impact of landing in the various hazards and rough and based on strokes gained they have a predefined strategy on how to play the hole.  They hit shot and deal with the results.   Move to where the ball is and do the same thing.     

Your belief is that some players may decide that they are willing to take a chance and see if they can avoid the hazard; basically changing to a more aggressive strategy because they need to make something happen.    It seems the root cause of your wanting to change distance is that you want to change the underlying strategy on how players play the game.    I personally don't think that players will undergo this change as they better understand the impacts of making poor decisions on the course.   

The thing I don't understand is why you think decreased distance will make player play a different strategy.  

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

What you are describing is your personal preference.  Shorter distance would NOT make it more fun for all fans, only for a percentage of them.  This is a line of reasoning I have an issue with, golf is about getting the ball in the hole, not a particular preferred style of play.  I really don't mind that more modern players have come up with better ways of getting the ball in the hole, I don't care that distance has made the traditional shot values somewhat obsolete, or has at least changed the relative importance of certain skills.  That's simply the evolution of golf.  Bobby Jones said that Nicklaus played a game with which he (Jones) was not familiar, but he didn't claim that Jack was somehow ruining the game, or making it less exciting.

The Distance Insights surveys show that a large majority of fans would prefer to see the distance gains stopped for the Tours. Yes, it is personal opinion. The whole forum is people debating their opinions. 

Bobby Jones said Nicklaus played a game which he was not familiar. He didn’t say that half the entire Tour played a game which he was not familiar. Like I said earlier, golf went more than 50 years with minor incremental changes in distance and then it exploded.

39 minutes ago, LICC said:

The Distance Insights surveys show that a large majority of fans would prefer to see the distance gains stopped for the Tours. Yes, it is personal opinion. The whole forum is people debating their opinions. 

Bobby Jones said Nicklaus played a game which he was not familiar. He didn’t say that half the entire Tour played a game which he was not familiar. Like I said earlier, golf went more than 50 years with minor incremental changes in distance and then it exploded.

Exactly where does the Report say that most fans think decreasing distance would make pro golf more fun to watch?  Thats what you claimed.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Exactly where does the Report say that most fans think decreasing distance would make pro golf more fun to watch?  Thats what you claimed.

Section 6.4.    There are survey results that 17% of people responded that distance is a major problem and 31% said it is a minor problem.   Although the entire survey had 67,000 responses (don't know how many answered each question) @LICC is stating that the majority of people want to rollback professional golf.  There are also millions that don't see it as a problem.  

Section 6.6   Based on Figure 73 people Geoff Shackelford stated: supported but a healthy number of respondents (29,448), shows that there “there is a low level of interest in the elite/professional game being dominated by any one element.”     The interpretation is that the current distance of PGA pros means golf is dominated by one element.  

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Section 6.4.    There are survey results that 17% of people responded that distance is a major problem and 31% said it is a minor problem.   Although the entire survey had 67,000 responses (don't know how many answered each question) @LICC is stating that the majority of people want to rollback professional golf.  There are also millions that don't see it as a problem.  

Section 6.6   Based on Figure 73 people Geoff Shackelford stated: supported but a healthy number of respondents (29,448), shows that there “there is a low level of interest in the elite/professional game being dominated by any one element.”     The interpretation is that the current distance of PGA pros means golf is dominated by one element.  

I did see this, and noted that 67% of respondents said that distance is either not a problem, or a minor problem.  Viewed the other way, 48% say distance is at least a minor problem.  Its a matter of interpretation whether than means a most people think a roll-back will make viewing a tournament more enjoyable., as @LICC has claimed.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:06 PM, LICC said:

I've said it several times earlier. It would make the game more fun to watch for fans. .

Shackeford leaves out a portion of that sentence that you quoted:

"By and large, there is a low level of interest in the elite/professional game being dominated by any one element -- be it tee shots, long drives or putting."

Did he do that to reflect his personal preferences?  I haven't read his writing enough to know.

I absolutely agree, though, the emphasis on putting during telecasts makes for pretty boring golf to me.  If driving distance is decreased, creating longer shots to greens, we'll see LONGER putts, which inevitably leads to more two-putts.  More tap-ins doesn't sound more exciting to me.

image.gif

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Shackelford is part of the group of the most vocal proponents for a rollback on Golf Twitter so I would absolutely say him cutting the quote is intentional to create a narrative to support his opinion.

"By and large, there is a low level of interest in the elite/professional game being dominated by any one element -- be it tee shots, long drives or putting."
Did he do that to reflect his personal preferences?  I haven't read his writing enough to know.
I absolutely agree, though, the emphasis on putting during telecasts makes for pretty boring golf to me.  If driving distance is decreased, creating longer shots to greens, we'll see LONGER putts, which inevitably leads to more two-putts.  More tap-ins doesn't sound more exciting to me.
image.gif.cbc5dcb8da9e864e6c9f964ebb88823b.gif

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I did see this, and noted that 67% of respondents said that distance is either not a problem, or a minor problem.  Viewed the other way, 48% say distance is at least a minor problem.  Its a matter of interpretation whether than means a most people think a roll-back will make viewing a tournament more enjoyable., as @LICC has claimed.

image.gif

You forgot this part- 

Results of UK fans to "Imagine you are watching golf 20 years in the future, what would you like to see?" For "Shots traveling further on the course?" the response was: 1% in favor, 26% don't mind, and 73% would not like this. The report notes that US data is similar. 

This is all from the USGA and R&A Distance Insights Report.

9 hours ago, LICC said:

You forgot this part- 

Results of UK fans to "Imagine you are watching golf 20 years in the future, what would you like to see?" For "Shots traveling further on the course?" the response was: 1% in favor, 26% don't mind, and 73% would not like this. The report notes that US data is similar. 

This is all from the USGA and R&A Distance Insights Report.

Please, don't make us read the entire effing document, give us a page number or something to help.  I found it, but its in a chart, and can't be found using a simple search feature.  

Where does it indicate that fans want distance reduced?  It DOES say that additional distance is not desirable to most, and I've never argued against that viewpoint, but says absolutely nothing about reduced distances.  Its surprising, considering the bias that many felt was evident in the Distance Survey, that the USGA/R&A apparently didn't ask that particular question. I know I responded to the survey, but I don't remember any particular questions about reducing distance for the Pro tours.  For those who want to see more about the results of the survey, its here:

https://digitalarchives.usga.org/app/api/request/index.html#!/contents/9e1e8737c4734c2d962b1d8025c9a29d/name/Distance Insights Library

This particular bit of information is presented on page 76.

You're the one claiming that most fans would enjoy golf better if driving distance is reduced, you've still failed to provide anything to back it up. 

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

49 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Please, don't make us read the entire effing document, give us a page number or something to help.  I found it, but its in a chart, and can't be found using a simple search feature.  

Where does it indicate that fans want distance reduced?  It DOES say that additional distance is not desirable to most, and I've never argued against that viewpoint, but says absolutely nothing about reduced distances.  Its surprising, considering the bias that many felt was evident in the Distance Survey, that the USGA/R&A apparently didn't ask that particular question. I know I responded to the survey, but I don't remember any particular questions about reducing distance for the Pro tours.  For those who want to see more about the results of the survey, its here:

https://digitalarchives.usga.org/app/api/request/index.html#!/contents/9e1e8737c4734c2d962b1d8025c9a29d/name/Distance Insights Library

This particular bit of information is presented on page 76.

You're the one claiming that most fans would enjoy golf better if driving distance is reduced, you've still failed to provide anything to back it up. 

That is an awful long stretch if you think those survey results don’t support the view that a majority of fans think too much distance is an issue. 

22 hours ago, LICC said:

That is an awful long stretch if you think those survey results don’t support the view that a majority of fans think too much distance is an issue. 

I think the words of the question speak for themselves.  I'm not interpreting them to mean anything other than exactly what they say.  The words say that a big majority do not want to see increasing distance on the pro tours.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting comments by McIlroy on the state of his game and what his issue is.... Chasing DeChambeau! I mentioned this about what pros were doing and it was dismissed. Well. Looks like some are chasing Bryson and the US Open was the visual they needed to take a stab at following suit.

3DDDA2E8-9930-4906-8D48-BE3FDE91BEB2.jpeg

12 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Very interesting comments by McIlroy on the state of his game and what his issue is.... Chasing DeChambeau! I mentioned this about what pros were doing and it was dismissed. Well. Looks like some are chasing Bryson and the US Open was the visual they needed to take a stab at following suit.

3DDDA2E8-9930-4906-8D48-BE3FDE91BEB2.jpeg

He also mentioned Bryson's better than most ability to get out of thick rough and attributed part of that to his longer (one-length) short irons.  Do you think he or any of the other swing out of your socks contenders will add that missing component?  Many expected the one-length to catch fire but it hasn't.  I shake my head when BAD grabs an 8i for a 200 yard shot, but forget about his club lengths.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3DDDA2E8-9930-4906-8D48-BE3FDE91BEB2.jpeg.faad2cd1fd60dec019f1aca9b02ed881.jpeg

I’ve heard many pros talk about how Bryson is changing how they’re looking at the game. There will certainly be some that try to follow suit to some degree, but idk how many will be able to make it work. Rory, of anyone, could definitely make it work with his game. We’ve all seen how committed Bryson is and how much time/effort he’s put into it. Kevin Kisner said it best last year when asked about Bryson. He’s said the only way to stop a guy like him is to find him a wife and some kids!

Side note... People get lost in the swing speed and distance part, but at the end of the day, the guy is just out working everyone. When he’s on, his approach play is light out, and he’s out putting everyone. I heard someone last week talk about how he should be mentioned as one of the best ball strikers on tour. I’d argue, if Rory wants to be more like Bryson, he needs to work on his putting, not his driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk