Planned 2030 Golf Ball Rollback

PMookie

Forum Member Opinions  

584 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  2. 2. Do you watch or care about the PGA Tour and other professional Tours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  3. 3. Do you wish there was a Tour Only golf ball?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  4. 4. Do you want to play all the same equipment like the pros play?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  5. 5. Do you feel your game will be dramatically effected by the rollback in 2030?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  6. 6. Will loosing any distance take away significant enjoyment in golfing for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably not
  7. 7. Would you quit golf because of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Would you prefer bifurcation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  9. 9. Is this all too early and we need to wait and see what more will happen over the next few years?

• Definitely
    • No, this needs to be addressed now
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Davre said:

The ramifications of this are far less straightforward than a lot of people understand. Firstly, regulating distance via the ball just further penalizes the shorter hitters on tour vs the bombers. Think: if you had to dial a ball back enough for Rory to average say 275yds off the tee, that puts guys like Kisner back to 245yds. It doesn't solve the problem at all. It renders all courses unplayable for below average drivers. 

One possible alternative is to design a ball that FAVORS slower swing speeds (likely a very soft compression?). This could shrink the delta between the short and long hitters due to energy loss at high speeds. The obvious flaw to this (and any limiting of the ball) is testing and ball doping. The cost of testing every ball played on tour would be ENORMOUS. 

Last, and probably most important is the impact on revenue for the big ball makers. They literally lose the ability to market "play what the pros play". If you do not think this is a massive market mover, just look at the contracts of current players. The other elephant in the room is what would LIV do? Following suit seems to be contrary to their DNA. Plus hey could lean into "come over here and play REAL equipment!" 

No one would put Rory to 275 yards. The top hitters getting to 300 would be good. Just like in the late 1990s. That would put the difference between the long and short hitters about the same as it always was. It doesn't penalize shorter hitters any more than they had been disadvantaged historically.

The ball testing issue would be no different than testing that is needed now for all equipment.

If bifurcation was made part of the USGA rules, and LIV didn't follow, then goodbye any chance at world ranking points.

6 minutes ago, LICC said:

No one would put Rory to 275 yards. The top hitters getting to 300 would be good. Just like in the late 1990s. That would put the difference between the long and short hitters about the same as it always was. It doesn't penalize shorter hitters any more than they had been disadvantaged historically.

The ball testing issue would be no different than testing that is needed now for all equipment.

If bifurcation was made part of the USGA rules, and LIV didn't follow, then goodbye any chance at world ranking points.

That represents a "roll back" of 7%. I'm not sure that justifies the move. 

Ball testing would be very different, as right now you are only testing 1 club per player (and even then on rare occasion). You would need to test essentially all balls that each player in the field carries. This seems like an easy thing to monitor at first, but it is far more complex. It's not a question of testing, but rather of scale. 

Dave

Sim2 Ventus Blue Velocore 9.0 

Sim 14deg, Rogue Max 

Mizuno JPX forged TTDGS400 Tour Issue

Vokey SM8 raw custom 50F, 55S, 60T

Cameron Studio Newport 2 

1 hour ago, Bob Pegram said:

I agree. I use a 46.5 inch putter so I can stand up straighter.

And I do not see anything wrong with that and I for one do not care if you anchor or not.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, BostonSal said:

Non-conforming is the whole point.

It can't be non-conforming enough.

I want to be able to back up the ball on the asphalt parking lot.

I'm obviously not trying to qualify for the US Senior Amateur, but my facetiousness was clearly not sufficiently obvious either!

/

Yep you are like me do not play stipulated comps anymore and do not give a damn about the USGA or anything they have to say. I was messing around in the shop the other day and found a Pure Spin 64* I forgot I had. It is one of those with diamonds on the face. Illegal as all get out. I had it up on the range today and I can not hit it maybe 30 yards but I was spinning range rocks darn near back on me. LOL had range rock cover all over the face. For me it is not practical for regular play but it is off the charts for the kicks and giggles factor which for me these days is what golf is all about

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, LICC said:

No one would put Rory to 275 yards. The top hitters getting to 300 would be good. Just like in the late 1990s.

The late 90s when Tiger was hitting the ball 300 and courses started Tiger proofing because 300 was too long and he was dominating. 

So why would they roll back to a time when distance was a problem.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The late 90s when Tiger was hitting the ball 300 and courses started Tiger proofing because 300 was too long and he was dominating. 

Courses on the Tour are longer today. 

22 minutes ago, LICC said:

Because of the era you want them to roll back to where despite the distance increase tigers 300 still dominated including his recent masters win where 300 is pushing it for him. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

22 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Because of the era you want them to roll back to where despite the distance increase tigers 300 still dominated including his recent masters win where 300 is pushing it for him. 

Tiger’s domination wasn’t just from driving distance. 

17 hours ago, LICC said:

Yet they will change the rule that affects me (like the groove rule) and I can't afford or don't have the connections to play tour courses. The USGA is so antiquated and keeps shooting themselves in the foot. It will eventually hit a tipping point like LIV did with the PGA.

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The best part of "Tiger Proofing" was he benefitted the most. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

10 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

The best part of "Tiger Proofing" was he benefitted the most. 

Yep. They did nothing but make it harder for the guys who weren’t long to beat him with having to hit longer clubs into greens and not being able to match his par 5 capabilities. Iirc he led par 5 scoring close to a dozen times. 

23 hours ago, BIG STU said:

And I do not see anything wrong with that and I for one do not care if you anchor or not.

Wow! that's a typo. I use a 36.5 inch putter.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

3 hours ago, Bob Pegram said:

Wow! that's a typo. I use a 36.5 inch putter.

Senior moment I presume. Yep after my accident I had to go from 33" to 35". I was messing around the other day with my Cleveland 8802 Designed By at 33". After a few putts my back was killing me. 

G

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Aaronknows said:

It's happening! There is going to be a ruling sometime this week that will affect distances… Whether it be a golf, ball, rollback, COR limits decreased, or more testing. Be on the lookout because it's coming....

Supposed to be tomorrow and about the ball. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Will be interesting to see. I guess more interesting to see how it affects us mortals or if it does at all. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I can't wait to see what the powers that be are planning.  Realistically, changing the ball characteristics was the easiest and overall less expensive solution for dealing with obsoleting certain courses due to distance. 

It will be interesting to see if (and/or when) any of the guidelines filter down to the recreational golfer. 

It should be interesting.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Will be interesting to see. I guess more interesting to see how it affects us mortals or if it does at all. 

Apparently the proposal is going to be for "elite" level of competitions.  Per Tony's twitter posts the expectation is that pretty much no ball currently in the market will meet the new restrictions.  Remember the phrase "soft is slow".  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Apparently the proposal is going to be for "elite" level of competitions.  Per Tony's twitter posts the expectation is that pretty much no ball currently in the market will meet the new restrictions.  Remember the phrase "soft is slow".  

I guess more importantly will be when does this happen?

Very interesting. Eyes and ears are open and awaiting!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

39 minutes ago, MacTourney said:

Oh please, oh please, let this be a doorway to bringing back wound balata orbs, what would life be without hope.  

"wound" ... how about "round" ?  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Apparently the proposal is going to be for "elite" level of competitions. 

That would make the most sense to me .. ie. imho it's not the regular, recreational golfers who are hitting it ummm "too far" (and who are needed to play .. and to enjoy, and continue, playing .. to "grow the game").

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

Last line is interesting, fans don’t want this … I don’t want to see second shots that are wedges, nor do I want to see par 5s hit in 2 with a 6 iron or less. 
The current game is about strength, and somewhere down the line we have lost the art of plotting your way around the course. 
Any ball changes will be a good thing, any ball that gives you nothing after x impact force would be great … no bifurcation would be required. We would see a change in pro player and a game more connected to its roots. 

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

Need to read it again as I was reading it middle of the night, but it will be interesting. Reactions I am sure will be polar. What tours will adopt this? ie LIV will they stick with the long ball to try and get more players over there, that could be part of the brand. 

Time will tell I guess, but I really don't mind the way the game is now. Professionals are already on an entirely different level of play. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

2 hours ago, Ding-dong said:

any ball that gives you nothing after x impact force would be great … 

Yeah, this…no idea if it’s possible, but it would stop the game becoming even more about just strength & speed. A lot of pros don’t seem to care about missing fairways because the wedges are so good they can easily get out and still get close

WitB (not sure how I ended up with so much :taylormade-small: kit…it wasn’t deliberate 🙂
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Driver (HZRDUS Smoke Red shaft)
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2+ 5 Wood (with a 3-wood length HZRDUS Smoke Black shaft)
:mizuno-small: MP-60 irons 3-PW
:taylormade-small: MG4 52º & 60º (C-Grind) Wedges
:taylormade-small: MG3 Black 56º Wedge
:taylormade-small: MySpider Tour putter in McLaren F1 Colours
:taylormade-small: TP5 Pix balls

The USGA and R&A have convened a news conference for Tuesday at which, GOLF.com has learned, they’ll introduce a proposal that includes a Model Local Rule that — for tours and championships that adopt it — would effectively mean rolling back the golf ball and introducing bifurcation, i.e., creating a different set of rules for professionals and top amateurs vs. the rest of the golf world. 

According to an industry source, equipment manufacturers were informed of the proposed changes Monday morning, which center around the clubhead speed used to evaluate balls for the Overall Distance Standard (ODS).

In short, if the governing bodies have their way, professionals and elite amateurs on tours and in tournaments that adopt the rule will hit the ball shorter distances. Rules for everyday golfers aren’t expected to change.

4 hours ago, Ding-dong said:

Last line is interesting, fans don’t want this … I don’t want to see second shots that are wedges, nor do I want to see par 5s hit in 2 with a 6 iron or less. 
The current game is about strength, and somewhere down the line we have lost the art of plotting your way around the course. 
Any ball changes will be a good thing, any ball that gives you nothing after x impact force would be great … no bifurcation would be required. We would see a change in pro player and a game more connected to its roots. 

People watch sports to see things they can’t do and to see the pros at whatever sport play their best. Golf is about having the lowest score, so if pros can get to par 5s in 2 or hit wedges into par 4s that’s amazing. 

Just like baseball chicks dig the long ball. Fans will complain that there are too many home runs and as soon as there a a 1-0 pitching duel taking place they say it’s boring.

Then we look at soccer. It’s boring to most because there isn’t a lot of scoring or action on the field, just a little round ball being kicked around from player to play for minutes at a time before a shot may even be attempted.

There are courses on tour where scores are going to be super low and then courses/events where it’s not going to be. There is a good mix of this on the tour

There is always something in these articles that burns my toast and it is usually someone spouting as if they are gifted with knowing what everyone thinks.

“One of the coolest things about our sport is that the general player can play with exact same equipment from the same exact place,” one pro said. “No fan wants to see PGA Tour players hit it shorter than they do. That’s one reason they watch pro golf, because Rory can hit it 320 and they can stand on the same tee and not do so.”

Nothing but blow-hard goose crap, of course I want to see PGA Tour players hit shots like I do, that makes them real and makes me know that my game is perfectly fine because even the pros sometimes hit a shot like I do on my best day.

I guess I should sign this, No fan 😉

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

I personally am a fan of seeing the pros absolutely MASH the driver. I'm not sure that I believe changes to the golf ball would turn people away from watching professional golf, because pros are still pros and will still make incredible shots, regardless of how far the ball travels. It will definitely be interesting to see how this all shakes out, and what some of the more prominent guys on tour will say on the subject. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review