Planned 2030 Golf Ball Rollback

PMookie

Forum Member Opinions  

584 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  2. 2. Do you watch or care about the PGA Tour and other professional Tours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  3. 3. Do you wish there was a Tour Only golf ball?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  4. 4. Do you want to play all the same equipment like the pros play?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  5. 5. Do you feel your game will be dramatically effected by the rollback in 2030?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  6. 6. Will loosing any distance take away significant enjoyment in golfing for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably not
  7. 7. Would you quit golf because of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Would you prefer bifurcation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  9. 9. Is this all too early and we need to wait and see what more will happen over the next few years?

• Definitely
    • No, this needs to be addressed now
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

This is great! I thought they messed up big time a few years ago when they didn't do it. Let the .5% of guys on tour do one thing, leave the rest of us - especially public golfers - alone

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

39 minutes ago, Middler said:

I assumed bifurcation meant there would be two classes of balls, todays standard and a restricted distance ball of some sort for pros. It never occurred to me they might require two classes of equipment for professional competition - that seems ridiculous to me.

And I wonder when a developing aspiring pro switches balls or equipment in their career. e.g. you get to use whatever you want in junior golf, high school golf, college golf - and then you turn pro and use balls and/or equipment that sets you back substantially? Huh? Imagine working for years to develop the skills to drive the ball 320 yards, and then being forced to hit 250 yards off the tee thereafter - sound good?

My thoughts exactly. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am in the wait and see corner on this. We already have some bifurcation within golf...one ball local rule, rangefinder usage, and tee boxes to name a couple.

The biggest issue is that there really isn’t a good problem statement. Just saying distance or that courses are becoming obsolete really isn’t defining a problem. If you limit distance like we have already done with COR rules you will still have people that hit it farther than others. If we look at major course setups we can control scoring, if that defines “obsolete”. We don’t see players scoring in the 50s with any regularity.

I’d like to know what they expect to see with these changes.

Zach Johnson will still be 30-40 yards behind DJ.... Yep. Same in wondering what they expect to see.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have never been opposed to bifurcation.  I just don't see how it is harmful to me or other amateurs.  If it happens and you want to see how you stack up against the best, then buy the equipment they use and find out.  If you think the game is too hard as it is, move up a set of tees.  If you are an outstanding junior golfer hoping to make the PGA tour some day, then I have no doubt there will be opportunities for you to play in tournaments with the rolled back equipment, just as there are now wooden bat leagues for young baseball players.  I used to play a lot of half court basketball at the YMCA and I don't remember being tempted to quit because no one wanted to play full court.  Of course, I do have something of a laissez-faire attitude toward the rules.  If I am playing in a game against someone, as long as both of us are playing by the same rules, I don't care:  if you want us to play strictly by the rules of golf (which the tour doesn't BTW), that's ok with me; if you want us to improve our lies everywhere, that's ok with me. 

Most of us think hitting the ball farther and using more forgiving clubs have made the game either more fun or easier, but the handicap of the average golfer has stayed nearly the same for a very long time.

Another thing.  25 years ago, I was a member at a course that was opened around 1920.  Most par 4's from the regular tees were between 300 and 350 yards.  One was about 230 yards steeply uphill.  The longest par 3 was about 170 yards.  Now equipment allows me to hit the ball off the tee as far as I did back then, but I play a longer course.  Playing that shorter course with balata balls and persimmon drivers would be just as fun today as it was then.  And the guys who hit the ball a lot farther than me then would still have the advantage of added length.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

For me it's less about the actual bifurcation than it is that I just flat-out disagree with the reasoning they're pushing for implementing it. I don't think distance is an issue, but rather people are making it an issue by refusing to adapt to the way the modern game is played. When you have architects who are unwilling to adapt their so-called design intent, which is another rabbit hole I don't wish to go down at this point, but would instead just rather take the hard earned distance advantage away from someone like Bryson so they feel better about the number on the bottom of the club he hit into a green, it's not something I can get behind.

Golf is a game built around getting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes possible. How you get there shouldn't matter. There's a lot of ways to shoot the same score in golf. But it still takes a complete game to win on tour. Time and time again we see this reflected in the player hoisting the trophy at the end of the week.

This is just my opinion of course and I've gotten involved in far too many Twitter discussions on the topic in the past that have basically gone nowhere. I don't expect my take to sway any opinions here either on this topic but I'm sharing it anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

For the Tour, distance has become a major issue. The game has changed substantially from prior to the equipment advances of 20+ years ago. Courses have been lengthened yet still, today there really is no such thing as a par-5, Par-4s have become mostly driver and wedge or a forced layup off the tee, and most all par-3s have to be 210+ yards. The strategy of the game has become boring at the Tour level, which affects fans who enjoy watching Tour golf. I would love it if a 300-yard drive was meaningful again, meaning less than 10% of the Tour had the distance to consistently get there.

Edited by LICC

5 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Zach Johnson will still be 30-40 yards behind DJ.... Yep. Same in wondering what they expect to see.

With major championships, they have to find a way to make older courses more difficult by making it much harder to score with a wedge in your hands.  That has led to the ridiculous setups of so many U.S. Open courses.  Remember the last time at Shinnecock when only shots that landed in a 5 foot circle were not punished?  At some point the pro game will be like watching a combo of a long drive contest and the national miniature golf championship. Without bifurcation, we will see 350 yard par 3's and no par 5's, there won't be room.  I recognize that there are others who will find that entertaining but count me out.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Like I said in my post, I'm of the opinion that distance is not an issue at any level. I've heard the arguments you make countless times and none of them do anything to sway me, and frankly some of them are just flat out inaccurate. I don't care how someone shoots 68 and nor do I care what club a player hits into a green. They still have to play a complete game to win on Tour.

For the Tour, distance has become a major issue. The game has changed substantially from prior to the equipment advances of 20+ years ago. Courses have been lengthened yet still, today there really is no such thing as a par-5, Par-4s have become mostly driver and wedge or a forced layup off the tee, and most all par-3s have to be 210+ yards. The strategy of the game has become boring at the Tour level, which affects fans who enjoy watching Tour golf. I would love it if a 300-yard drive was meaningful again, meaning less than 10% of the Tour had the distance to consistently get there.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Course setup is a easy enough fix. They just currently go about it the exact opposite way. Instead of lengthening courses to try to get Driver/7i into par 4s. They just need to shorten the course so that driving it 50 yards further isn't as statistically relevant. I.e. being 180 out instead of 230 out is a much bigger benefit that 110 vs 160 in strokes gained. Make the courses shorter, mow the fairways 1/8" taller for less tour roll, make the greens much smaller, make the rough around the greens much deeper. That is it. No more land needed and less mowing. 

That said, on topic. I have no issue with tour players using different equipment. Many of them use shafts/balls/clubs that we can't get or use anyway. The callaway tour ball isn't the callaway store ball, titleist has the x number of variants that players can use. They already spend the $$ developing different tech for the tour. I don't think it is the right way to go, but I don't think it is the end of my golfing days. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

59 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Like I said in my post, I'm of the opinion that distance is not an issue at any level. I've heard the arguments you make countless times and none of them do anything to sway me, and frankly some of them are just flat out inaccurate. I don't care how someone shoots 68 and nor do I care what club a player hits into a green. They still have to play a complete game to win on Tour.

Just because you don't care if Tour golf no longer has strategy and whether someone is hitting a wedge or a long-iron, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. It just means that you don't value the strategies and nuances of watching Tour golf. Very many golf fans do, and that is where there is a problem with the equipment-fueled distance explosion of the last 20+ years.

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

Course setup is a easy enough fix. They just currently go about it the exact opposite way. Instead of lengthening courses to try to get Driver/7i into par 4s. They just need to shorten the course so that driving it 50 yards further isn't as statistically relevant. I.e. being 180 out instead of 230 out is a much bigger benefit that 110 vs 160 in strokes gained. Make the courses shorter, mow the fairways 1/8" taller for less tour roll, make the greens much smaller, make the rough around the greens much deeper. That is it. No more land needed and less mowing. 

That said, on topic. I have no issue with tour players using different equipment. Many of them use shafts/balls/clubs that we can't get or use anyway. The callaway tour ball isn't the callaway store ball, titleist has the x number of variants that players can use. They already spend the $$ developing different tech for the tour. I don't think it is the right way to go, but I don't think it is the end of my golfing days. 

Making the courses shorter would just lead to more fairway woods and irons off the tees. That isn't the ideal result.

Actually I do value the strategies and nuances of Tour golf. The reason Bryson went down his path of hitting it longer is precisely because the modern strategy system he uses (DECADE) and Strokes Gained metrics demonstrated to him that that would be the best way for him to win major championships. Winning the US Open at Winged Foot only validated that.

Tour golf always has, and will always have strategy involved. It's not gone away cause Bryson can hit it 350 yards regularly. There's still strategy involved in playing golf that way. Your failure to see that, and the failure of others in your position, is to me, a much bigger problem than any perceived problems of distance at the Tour level.

That being said, I have no interest in rehashing this discussion for the umpteenth time. I merely wanted to offer my position for posterity in this thread. I did not want to engage in another pointless argument on the subject so I will not be responding to any further arguments from you.

Just because you don't care if Tour golf no longer has strategy and whether someone is hitting a wedge or a long-iron, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. It just means that you don't value the strategies and nuances of watching Tour golf. Very many golf fans do, and that is where there is a problem with the equipment-fueled distance explosion of the last 20+ years.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

2 hours ago, Middler said:

I assumed bifurcation meant there would be two classes of balls, todays standard and a restricted distance ball of some sort for pros. It never occurred to me they might require two classes of equipment for professional competition - that seems ridiculous to me.

And I wonder when a developing aspiring pro switches balls or equipment in their career. e.g. you get to use whatever you want in junior golf, high school golf, college golf - and then you turn pro and use balls and/or equipment that sets you back substantially? Huh? Imagine working for years to develop the skills to drive the ball 320 yards, and then being forced to hit 250 yards off the tee thereafter - sound good?

This is exactly the problem with bifurcation. 

1 hour ago, LICC said:

If you are going to use stats to justify your stance, please make sure they are close to accurate. The above means nothing and is not true. 

16 minutes ago, LICC said:

You can blame it on equipment or you can blame it on the fact that the basically everything we knew about golf has changed. As recently as 1998 ball flight laws were the direct opposite of what we now know. Strategy has changed drastically since SG came out. And athletes are now playing golf. All of this leads to an entire different game than what it was for a long time. And none of those changes have anything to do with equipment.

I don't disagree that distance WILL be a problem with the next generation of golfers, it is not a problem now, but it will be IMO. Bifurcation changes the game entirely. A roll back is probably necessary or at least a cap on where we are right now. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

13 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Actually I do value the strategies and nuances of Tour golf. The reason Bryson went down his path of hitting it longer is precisely because the modern strategy system he uses (DECADE) and Strokes Gained metrics demonstrated to him that that would be the best way for him to win major championships. Winning the US Open at Winged Foot only validated that.

Tour golf always has, and will always have strategy involved. It's not gone away cause Bryson can hit it 350 yards regularly. There's still strategy involved in playing golf that way. Your failure to see that, and the failure of others in your position, is to me, a much bigger problem than any perceived problems of distance at the Tour level.

That being said, I have no interest in rehashing this discussion for the umpteenth time. I merely wanted to offer my position for posterity in this thread. I did not want to engage in another pointless argument on the subject so I will not be responding to any further arguments from you.

When a Tour player can hit the ball past any hazard or positioning, then there is no strategy or nuance. It is just bomb it far and wedge it onto the green. There is no strategy of taking on a risky hazard to get a better approach or angle into the green. There is no strategy of playing it safely away from a hazard or downslope but then having to hit a long iron on your approach. There is no strategy to choose a line based on risk and reward. There is no strategy in going for the green on every par-5 without any thought of the risk-reward for doing so or laying up. It becomes just hitting it past all the hazards and it won't matter if you are at a bad angle to the green or in the rough, because you are close enough to hit wedge anyway. Hitting it well past the designed strategic locations of the golf holes takes away the strategic element. Bryson overpowering Winged Foot with his length contradicts your position, it doesn't validate it.

13 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

If you are going to use stats to justify your stance, please make sure they are close to accurate. The above means nothing and is not true. 

If you are going to try to counter someone's stance, please use stats to back your claim. The above means nothing and does not refute the truth of my statements.

14 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

You can blame it on equipment or you can blame it on the fact that the basically everything we knew about golf has changed. As recently as 1998 ball flight laws were the direct opposite of what we now know. Strategy has changed drastically since SG came out. And athletes are now playing golf. All of this leads to an entire different game than what it was for a long time. And none of those changes have anything to do with equipment.

Almost all of the distance gains on Tour are the result of equipment advances. The Tour has had athletic players for decades. Players from decades ago were knowledgeable about their ball flights. Put the 1990 equipment into the hands of today's players, and you will get the same results as players from 1990.

5 hours ago, PMookie said:

Well, folks, the folks at the R&A and USGA are dead-set on limiting distance now. Bifurcation is coming.

These folks are SO out-of-touch with the recreational golfer, the 99% of golfers they SUPPOSEDLY serve!

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/r-and-a-bifurcation-in-golf-reduce-hitting-distances/

In case anyone missed it a year ago, that article use the identical language contained in the Distance Insights Conclusions, released in February 2020.  Yes, 12 months ago.  There is not a single new word on the subject of Bifurcation.  The only NEW information in the Feb 2 2021 release from the USGA/R&A concerns three specific items which will be studied, with manufacturers being asked for specific comments:

As a result, the governing bodies are seeking comment from equipment manufacturers on three proposed Equipment Standards changes, as follows:

Proposal #1: Club length – reduction to 46 inches available as a Model Local Rule (MLR) (Original proposal delivered in 2016 and paused in 2017 due to the Distance Insights Project). Comment period ends on March 4, 2021.
Proposal #2: Update on testing method for golf balls. Comment period ends on Aug. 2, 2021.

Proposal #3: Change to testing tolerance – Characteristic Time. Comment period ends on Aug. 2, 2021.

This is progress in the SECOND item which the 2020 Conclusions mention, stated here:

2. We will also review the overall conformance specifications for both clubs and balls, including
specifications that both directly and indirectly affect hitting distances. The intended purpose of this review
is to consider whether any existing specifications should be adjusted or any new specifications should be
created to help mitigate the continuing distance increases. It is not currently intended to consider revising
the overall specifications in a way that would produce substantial reductions in hitting distances at all
levels of the game

I have participated in a few (too many) other threads concerning the original Distance Insights Report.  Unless there's something new, I'm going to try to keep myself from going down this rabbit hole again.  My simple views:  Bifurcation won't affect me, really, but I'm doubtful that it will clear all the hurdles it faces.  Revise test methods and other specifications to minimize future equipment-related distance increases, I'm good with that.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

While I’m not keen on bifurcation, the very least they could do is halt further (distance) improvements in balls or equipment. They sat on their hands for decades while distances for pros increased. It’s not like they couldn’t have slowed the trend long ago if they were smart, how did they think this would end? Kickin’ the can down the road, a short sighted facet of life in many areas...

1D5CE7E4-1E0A-4E47-94B2-3310F0921AD0.jpeg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

37 minutes ago, LICC said:

Almost all of the distance gains on Tour are the result of equipment advances. The Tour has had athletic players for decades. Players from decades ago were knowledgeable about their ball flights. Put the 1990 equipment into the hands of today's players, and you will get the same results as players from 1990.

I'll leave this here.  829683782_Screenshot2021-02-02122629.jpg.0dd365b40fa7de68ba53d00dc69cc3b9.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-02 123009.jpg

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, LICC said:

Making the courses shorter would just lead to more fairway woods and irons off the tees. That isn't the ideal result.

but it puts the focus back on shot making instead of putting the emphasis on distance. I think watching the pro's play with worse equipment is more detrimental to golf as a whole than other options. 

obviously, I don't have the answers, just opinions 😃  But just this weekend at the Farmers, the fairways were slow and driving distance was down 20y across the field. I know watching the PGA on weekends and seeing them get 30-50y roll out on drives amuses me as around here anything more than 3y is pretty lucky. 

The reward now is to hit a low trajectory, low spin shot to maximize carry and roll out. Just growing the fairways an 1/8" more would lower tour driving distance by the 10% they are looking for. Grow it out 1/4" to take 20% off. From the sustainability and agronomy aspect of it, it would use less water and resources and be healthier for the grass. Seems like a simpler answer to me.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

More info 

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

17 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

but it puts the focus back on shot making instead of putting the emphasis on distance. I think watching the pro's play with worse equipment is more detrimental to golf as a whole than other options. 

obviously, I don't have the answers, just opinions 😃  But just this weekend at the Farmers, the fairways were slow and driving distance was down 20y across the field. I know watching the PGA on weekends and seeing them get 30-50y roll out on drives amuses me as around here anything more than 3y is pretty lucky. 

The reward now is to hit a low trajectory, low spin shot to maximize carry and roll out. Just growing the fairways an 1/8" more would lower tour driving distance by the 10% they are looking for. Grow it out 1/4" to take 20% off. From the sustainability and agronomy aspect of it, it would use less water and resources and be healthier for the grass. Seems like a simpler answer to me.

I agree on using taller fairway heights to cut down on roll. But these guys with current equipment are carrying it enormous distances. I would combine that with a Tour/Pro Golf limit on driver head size and see how that goes.