Planned 2030 Golf Ball Rollback

PMookie

Forum Member Opinions  

584 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  2. 2. Do you watch or care about the PGA Tour and other professional Tours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  3. 3. Do you wish there was a Tour Only golf ball?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  4. 4. Do you want to play all the same equipment like the pros play?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  5. 5. Do you feel your game will be dramatically effected by the rollback in 2030?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  6. 6. Will loosing any distance take away significant enjoyment in golfing for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably not
  7. 7. Would you quit golf because of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Would you prefer bifurcation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  9. 9. Is this all too early and we need to wait and see what more will happen over the next few years?

• Definitely
    • No, this needs to be addressed now
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

17 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The manufacturers have supposedly been a part of this process for the last several years.

Simple?  Tell me, how are the R&A or the USGA going to write a Rule that defines how long the grass must be?  The ONLY thing they can do to address distance concerns is to limit the equipment in some way.  I'm not saying I think its necessary, but its the only avenue they have.

It will be interesting to see how far the Model Local Rule gets used.  Professional Tours, probably, national amateur championships, probably, but I'm not sure even State-level amateurs will use it.  If its that few events, played primarily by players who don't need to or care to keep a handicap, I'm not sure it will have much impact.

For anyone who's surprised, you simply haven't been paying attention.  You can see the releases which have come out over the last 3 or 4 years here: 

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/advancing-the-game/distance-insights.html

The proposed MLR is pretty consistent with the information presented a year ago, March 2022.

1. I am willing to bet that there has been less direct dialog with the manufacturers than you think (likely just submitted comments as the process dictates which few would not consider to be an active participant in the process). It is clear that the USGA has been aiming to rollback for a while and this whole “process” has seemed more about due diligence to reduce legal exposure than an honest attempt at deciding whether it was necessary (keep in mind that they had a pilot tourney with a limited flight ball in 2010).

2.  There is no need to add rules to regulate course conditioning. What they should have been doing for years was lead by example at the US Open which has been more of a model for unsustainable conditioning (especially with respect to fairway heights which Mike Davis had been called out on before). Set a good example and then work with the relatively small number of stakeholders to agree on best practices to avoid rule changes in other areas to compensate.

3.  This MLR approach is going to be a mess for the transition stages between recreational and elite competition. Comparisons to other sports really aren’t relevant given the fact there is generally a clear delineation between different levels of play that golf does not always have (ex mixed events with both pros and amateurs). There will likely be little retail demand for a shorter ball which will give OEMs little incentive to produce much more than what is needed to support the pro tours, so this will likely create a barrier for amateurs looking to transition or low level/aspiring pros which will likely impact future talent pools. Basically, they are creating several new problems for the game but this proposal is unlikely to solve the perceived problems that they believe distance increases pose.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

17 hours ago, joedeausen said:

I put together this commentary on bifurcation back in early 2018.  Here are some considerations:

Re: Comment on Bifurcation of Rules (specifically, the golf ball)

As to the bifurcation of the rules of golf, many folks would agree that technology must be reined in.  Most people would agree with this premise. But, the real question which needs to be addressed is, where does the professional level begin at which technology is reined in?

Let's assume that the golf ball manufacturers eventually agree to make a ball that goes somewhere between 15-20% less distance than it currently does.  Who would be in charge of making sure that professionals adhere to this rule?  Is it the pro golfer? USGA? R&A? PGA Tour? How would testing be applied in pro golf tournaments to ensure that this is the case?  

Second, we address the question of what level to apply the rules of a new reduced distance golf ball. 

Excerpts from Wikipedia:

"Golf is one of the more lucrative sports in the world for both men and women, but has a very different structure from other sports. Almost all (at least 95%) professional golfers make their primary income as club or teaching professionals rather than competition. "Touring professionals", also known as "Tournament golfers" or "Pro golfers", who make their income from prize money and endorsements are a small elite within the profession."

Would a new reduced golf ball be required for the following tours?  And, consider that some of these tours help golfers qualify for a PGA Tour event.

Web.com Tour 

Challenge Tour (second tier tour to European Tour)

Asian Developmental Tour

Japan Challenge Tour

PGA Tour of China

PGA Tour of India

There are also third and fourth level tours, which are independently offered and may affect qualification for the 2nd level tours, like Web.com and Challenge Tour.  Will these professional events also require use of the new ball?

How about the US Open?  The U.S. Open is open to any professional, or to any amateur with an up-to-date men's USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 1.4.    Obviously, potential participants in the US Open trying to qualify have to use the new "reduced" golf ball.  Who will be in charge of ensuring that these potential qualifiers are using the correct ball?  How about amateurs qualifying for PGA Tour events thru sponsor exemptions?  PGA professionals for the PGA Championship?

Soo, if only PGA Tour players have access to this new "reduced distance golf ball", wouldn't anyone else not using this ball have a competitive disadvantage by not having access to it?  Also, if you don't have access to the ball, how can players determine its performance in the short game?  Again, another competitive disadvantage if only select players have access to this ball.

The Masters golf tournament would not have to abide by the reduced golf ball, if they chose not to.  But, wouldn't they be asked for input into the eventual decision?

Personally, I'm in agreement that the golf ball needs to have some distance roll back.  If the golf ball manufacturers agree to the roll back (which is not an insignificant hurdle), bigger questions remain as to how the golf ball distance roll back would be implemented.

1.  At what levels do the new ball apply? And, how far down the ladder of professional golf, does the new ball apply?

2. How would the use of the reduced ball be monitored and implemented?

I understand the reluctance of the PGA Tour in making a decision to roll back the golf ball.  Even if they said, yes, let's do it.  How would they do it?  And, who would it impact?

1.  If you have been paying attention to these discussions over the years, no not everyone agrees that equipment needs to be “reigned in”. Universal gains due to equipment were effectively limited by the time the USGA/R&A released their joint statement on distance in 2002. Since then, gains due to equipment since have been based on optimization. As for the golf ball, all balls have been subject to the same regulations since 1976. Basically, equipment already was reigned in long ago, some simply disagree with where the limits were set. 

2.  Enforcement of the new rule will be no different than it is today. The new MLR will likely be similar to the one ball condition simply pointing to a 2nd conforming list and models will be identified based on the side stamp. The MLR will likely lead to inconsistent implementation/usage of the rule (while not intended, there is nothing preventing a local club from applying the rule which happened at my cousin’s club championship when they adopted the new groove condition). Btw, Web.com?! What rock have you been living under?

3.  The transition areas of competition is where this is going to be messy. At least with the groove rollback, the ultimate intent was global adoption and the RBs got cooperation from the OEMs to effectively stop production of the old groove spec by 2010 so availability was less of a barrier than I expect ball availability to be with this bifurcated approach. The mixed competitions are likely to apply the MLR and those pros without consistent OEM support will be at a disadvantage which will likely hurt future talent pools (granted not really a problem for established pros today). What will be interesting will be how the PGA Tour handles events like the PB Pro Am if they adopt this (which given their challenged position with LIV I am sure they will to garner support from the RBs). 

4.  ANGC has been begging the RBs for this for years so they will undoubtably adopt this for the 2026 Masters.

15 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

THIS IS ALL ABOUT TITLEIST' COMMENT NOT THE POSTER!

I appreciate Titleist and their comments.  BUT PLEASE SAME RULES !! And I don't want to turn this into a discussion about rules, and the elite PGA game, or what THE PRO'S DESERVE BECAUSE THEY ARE PROS.  But Can Titleist or the PGA, or the R&A, provide spotters so I won't lose any more balls in play.  Can they flip the bill for some tarps to be erected, along holes and behind holes to simulate crowds knocking the ball down before it bounds into the forest, or so I can error on the side of hitting too much club,  to avoid water in front and then if I misjudge it hits the tarp representing a grandstand that will knock it down and keep it out of the head high brush behind the green.  Oh and I've seen the PGA play ball in hand under conditions that represent what I play most of the year.

That is such self serving, and insulting comment  to suggest in any way that the conditions, and circumstance under which the PGA plays in any way resembles what we weekend hackers play.   

None of what you mention are part of the rules of golf. Condition differences that exist outside of the rules of golf are completely separate.

The greatest accomplishment of the USGA has been the unification of the game under one set of rules and now they are choosing to effectively throw that away and great several new problems for this proposal that won’t even solve their perceived problems. 

16 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

And this seems to me to be a quite reasonable position for them to take, some of the most logical reasons to oppose bifurcation.  Its also reasonably self-serving, Titleist is the most popular ball on Tour, leading to huge sales numbers, and they don't want to lose any of that.  But do any of us believe that Titleist hasn't been preparing for this type of change for at least the last 4 or 5 years?  They're just waiting for the final testing parameters to come out so they can fine-tune whatever they have in the development pipeline.

I think you are greatly underestimating the effort and investment that will be needed from an R&D perspective (while I don’t doubt that the big 5 have been anticipating this, I am sure they have been limited on what they can do to this point without a definitive target). Also, this is not going to be a rush to spit something out in the next couple of years and then they are done. The big OEMs are going to be investing in dual R&D workstreams for the foreseeable future. OEMs are constantly optimizing designs under the current ODS conditions and those have been consistent for nearly 20 years! 

16 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I've read most of the Distance Insights reports, and there really ARE impacts based on increasing distance.  There's no question many of them are based on imaging and marketing considerations, very very few courses are played by those really long hitters, but they still want the image of a "championship" length course.  So courses get longer across the board, increasing the cost of building, and the cost of maintenance.  Sure, an owner or manager could buck the trend, market differently, change maintenance practices, but on an industry-wide basis the cost for a "golf course" has increased at least in part due to increasing distance.

I find it interesting that people (not you particularly) talk about how greedy and/or ego-driven the USGA and R&A are being here.  These are non-profit operations, taking serious flak because they're trying to do what they believe is the right thing.  The professional tours and the manufacturers who oppose the changes each have a very significant financial interest in maintaining the status quo.  That's where "greed" comes in.  I don't necessarily agree that distances should be decreased, or that bifurcation is the right way to do it, but I do believe that the Ruling Bodies aren't doing it for selfish reasons.

Intent is really irrelevant to the end result. Also, tax implications (or lack their of) drive NPO status more than anything and does not absolve an organization of financial motivations (every major US professional sports league is also an NPO and I don’t think anyone would argue that they are not financially motivated).

As for course lengthening trends, the USGA report showed that the vast majority of course lengthening occurs between 1930 and 1990. The 90th percentile average increase since 1990 has been ~100 yards. The reality is that it is a relatively small percentage of courses that are have lengthened in recent years and even then it hasn’t been a drastic as some people are making it out to be. Also, maintenance costs do not necessarily scale with the playing length of the course.

Ultimately, I agree with @GolfSpy MPR in that lengthening the course simply challenges the player to hit it longer which just exacerbates the problem. Many pain points for courses have been self-inflicted.

6 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

To combat excessive iron head patina I read that the R&A has consulted with Aaron Rai to develop standards for the mandatory use iron head covers which they hope to implement by 2027. 😂

All my lobbying has finally paid off!

I’ll be honest. When I think about other sports, part of me wonders, why can’t a golf ball just be a ball? I’m novice with these sorts of things, but why can’t a tournament/course event just decide what ball everyone has to play with, instead of mandating change every ball maker has to align to? I mean, “Sign up, here are your balls, have good round … next!”

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

14 hours ago, Albatrass said:

I believe that back in the seventies the USGA and the R&A increased the minimum diameter of a golf ball from 1.62 to 1.68 inches since the smaller diameter ball was straighter and longer.  I would imagine the golf ball manufactures and professional golfers were not too pleased, but they adjusted.  Golf is expensive now and large part due to building courses that are long enough to accommodate longer distances.  Builders and owners need more land which require more construction, maintenance and taxes.  Maybe the minimum diameter should be increased again.  Initially increase it to around 1.70 inches and see how this affects distance prior to changing the "Rules of Golf".  I think this would be fair to everyone and bring more strategic play back to the game.  Maybe courses would not need to be lengthened more yards than they are now.  Golfers can use any tees they want to have fun.  The "Rules of Golf" do not indicate what are considered pro tees, regular tee, women's tees or senior tees.  A golfer can for any set of tees.  This will also reduce the amount of time it takes to play.  An example of reducing distance is baseball.  If there was not limit on how far the ball could be hit, the defensive part of the game would be diminished, and it would turn into an even longer game.  Only my viewpoint.  I am sure there will be many more.

The USGA increased the diameter minimum and max weight in the early 1930’s and the reverted the weight back the the previous restriction due to public outcry. The R&A didn’t adopt the rule for their tournaments until the 1976 joint rules venture and globally until 1990. 

While increased diameter does increase drag on the ball, it also has the unintended consequences of being more impacted by wind and raising the CG which can make it easier for a player to hit. Since the advent of the ODS, the USGA no longer needs to regulate any physical properties of the ball, they simply regulate the end result which effectively is a catch all. 

1 hour ago, storm319 said:

None of what you mention are part of the rules of golf. Condition differences that exist outside of the rules of golf are completely separate.

The greatest accomplishment of the USGA has been the unification of the game under one set of rules and now they are choosing to effectively throw that away and great several new problems for this proposal that won’t even solve their perceived problems. 

Own opinion: The pros regardless of rules play a different game. Their skill level, crowds, money, pressure, tee boxes, pin locations and so much more are on an entirely different level. 

Yes, this would reduce their distance some, however Mike Whan had a good point. This is to stop these gains and help many in the industry over the next 10-40 years. 

The pros are still going to be on an entirely different level. 

There will be a transition period and maybe some bumps, but as this isn't till 2026 anyway if it goes through I don't think it's really that big of a deal. 

A change yes, but not something that is going to be Deal breaking or life changing. 

Also other than purist reasons (honest question) why do we care that pros play a different ball? Their gear is already tweaked and dialed to a insane level, new wedges every tournament and so much more. Why does them play a shorter Ball hurt the game or change our viewing experience?

Could this make it possible to go to better courses on tour? Could this make par more relevant for the purists? 

This (if you couldnt tell) doesn't really phase me either way. I will still watch and enjoy the game. Not like I'm going to be hitting their distances even with a normal ball. 

Also I don't think this will happen, but what if this makes our golf balls cheaper!!!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

All this to protect the 100 or so old courses the ruling bodies can't live without for their "elite level" staging of events. My regular courses fairways look like the first cut of rough at tour courses. I play in the morning so the course is usually soaked. The ball goes nowhere. I don't understand the USGA need for dried out hard and fast course setups to determine the best golfer. They want drama, let me set up the course. 4-6 inch soaked ruff won't allow even the strongest pro's to hit anything even near the green. Anyway, as I see it:

two groups need to be convinced. First, the PGA Tour. If they don't accept the local rule, it is going to be tough to make it work. It would be the opposite of baseball bat situation. College amateurs would be playing with a reduced ball, and upon qualifying for the tour, suddenly hitting the longer ball. Wahoo!

More important however, is the ball manufacturers. What if all the major brands just said "NO". What is the response from the ruling bodies, sue them for collusion? What else could they do? Maybe contract one of the independent ball plants or DTC brands to produce a run of balls? Seems impractical to me. 

If they want to get the average golfer on board, maybe they change the current rule to allow balls that go farther for everyday play. Compromise. That works for me!

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

2 hours ago, storm319 said:

1.  If you have been paying attention to these discussions over the years, no not everyone agrees that equipment needs to be “reigned in”. Universal gains due to equipment were effectively limited by the time the USGA/R&A released their joint statement on distance in 2002. Since then, gains due to equipment since have been based on optimization. As for the golf ball, all balls have been subject to the same regulations since 1976. Basically, equipment already was reigned in long ago, some simply disagree with where the limits were set. 

2.  Enforcement of the new rule will be no different than it is today. The new MLR will likely be similar to the one ball condition simply pointing to a 2nd conforming list and models will be identified based on the side stamp. The MLR will likely lead to inconsistent implementation/usage of the rule (while not intended, there is nothing preventing a local club from applying the rule which happened at my cousin’s club championship when they adopted the new groove condition). Btw, Web.com?! What rock have you been living under?

3.  The transition areas of competition is where this is going to be messy. At least with the groove rollback, the ultimate intent was global adoption and the RBs got cooperation from the OEMs to effectively stop production of the old groove spec by 2010 so availability was less of a barrier than I expect ball availability to be with this bifurcated approach. The mixed competitions are likely to apply the MLR and those pros without consistent OEM support will be at a disadvantage which will likely hurt future talent pools (granted not really a problem for established pros today). What will be interesting will be how the PGA Tour handles events like the PB Pro Am if they adopt this (which given their challenged position with LIV I am sure they will to garner support from the RBs). 

4.  ANGC has been begging the RBs for this for years so they will undoubtably adopt this for the 2026 Masters.

Storm319....   I did say at the beginning of the post, "I put together this commentary on bifurcation back in early 2018"

Korn Ferry Tour started in 2019    https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2019/06/24/golf-korn-ferry-web-dot-com-tour/

2 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

All my lobbying has finally paid off!

I’ll be honest. When I think about other sports, part of me wonders, why can’t a golf ball just be a ball? I’m novice with these sorts of things, but why can’t a tournament/course event just decide what ball everyone has to play with, instead of mandating change every ball maker has to align to? I mean, “Sign up, here are your balls, have good round … next!”

$$  big money in golf balls.  At this point, golf tours need to court/consider the industry manufacturers' concerns.  Lots of people would lose jobs if 1 manufacturer wins the 1 ball contract.  Players would revolt.  Lots of players have spent years honing their craft their golf ball.  

18 minutes ago, joedeausen said:

$$  big money in golf balls.  At this point, golf tours need to court/consider the industry manufacturers' concerns.  Lots of people would lose jobs if 1 manufacturer wins the 1 ball contract.  Players would revolt.  Lots of players have spent years honing their craft their golf ball.  

I understand that aspect. I suppose I was trying to come up with a sort of compromise. There was a comment about how perhaps some courses need to expand to fit today’s pro golfers. Golf is one of the things where tradition matters as much as innovation, so perhaps by limiting ball specs on an older course, it’ll keep ball innovation rolling while at the same time keeping those courses relevant.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

18 minutes ago, joedeausen said:

I doubt that one ball will be for all. Or one company. Various companies will make balls that meet the new standards. Still will have different characteristics, spin windows and more. 

Agree unfair for one company to make all of them.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

3 hours ago, storm319 said:

The USGA increased the diameter minimum and max weight in the early 1930’s and the reverted the weight back the the previous restriction due to public outcry. The R&A didn’t adopt the rule for their tournaments until the 1976 joint rules venture and globally until 1990. 

While increased diameter does increase drag on the ball, it also has the unintended consequences of being more impacted by wind and raising the CG which can make it easier for a player to hit. Since the advent of the ODS, the USGA no longer needs to regulate any physical properties of the ball, they simply regulate the end result which effectively is a catch all. 

I value your opinion, but I believe if you decrease the distance a ball goes the more times you will hit the fairway and produce a quicker round of golf and enjoy it more.

This whole subject looks like a solution in search of a problem. Saying that the best players in the world are dominating golf courses with distance increases is not solid thinking. The data shows that while some guys have gained distance that they can use to get to some par 5s in 2 and some can hit certain par 4s in 1, it's rare to see anyone shooting record rounds in the 50s or anything like that. So, what's the real problem that they are seeking to fix? The long guys will still be longer than the short guys. So, when you pull them back with a muted distance ball, you pull them all back. The longer guys will still have an advantage. I really don't see this happening in any other sports. NBA raising the rim because there's too much dunking going on? Guys are too tall today? 3 point lines being moved back because guys have gotten too good at hitting 3s? Baseball using softer baseballs to limit homeruns, etc...? If a guy gains an advantage by improving their distance, he has gained an advantage, period. The real issues, hidden in most discussions I hear, revolve around golf course architecture complaints. "Guys are dominating our course and we have to lengthen it, at a big expense, to make it attractive to play a PGA tour event here". This seems like the only "problem" to fit this solution. So, in baseball parks with reachable homerun distances, will they use softer baseballs so we don't have to move the warning track and homerun fence back? Of course not. This issue does not affect me as a player, but I don't want to watch a tournament where the longest hitters are handicapped because they have become too good at hitting long drives. No more than I want to watch a basketball game where the 3 point line or freethrow line has been moved in certain "high profile games" or "certain arenas". Sounds goofy when you talk about doing in this in other sports doesn't it?   

Edited by Gopokes14
typos

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

I think they need to work on something more important and that is slow play at all levels.  Baseball has addressed the issue with speeding up the game with success this year.  UGGA and R&A, lets work on this at all levels (especially at the PGA level, because they influence the amateurs watching them on TV.  If they take 30 seconds to putt, then most ams feel they should also.). 

People are hitting the balls longer because they are better conditioned athletes.  Look at their swing speeds.  Yes the equipment is somewhat better and the distances for some is insane. PGA Tour Player - Driver 285 - 321 yds (Tour Average: 299.8 yds).  It is a science to get less spin from the drivers and balls which is increasing the distances, with the players swing speed and the ball speed. So much for just grip it and hit it.      

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

22 minutes ago, Albatrass said:

I value your opinion, but I believe if you decrease the distance a ball goes the more times you will hit the fairway and produce a quicker round of golf and enjoy it more.

The ball is going to be more spinnier and that is going to increase the movement sideways so no shorter doesn’t mean straighter 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The ball is going to be more spinnier and that is going to increase the movement sideways so no shorter doesn’t mean straighter 

You are right. For me and I believe a lot of others I may not hit it as straight, but I will not go as deep into the rough.  Having a somewhat easier second shot is a lot better than hunting for a ball and taking penalties.  LOL  Have a great day.

4 minutes ago, Albatrass said:

You are so right.  But for me I will not hit the ball as far and therefore not as deep into the rough.  A major victory.  LOL  

I assume that you will be switching to the elite ball?     

This is really the follow up to this decision.   If the tours and elite competitions choose to invoke the rule, which ball will you play?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, Albatrass said:

You are right. For me and I believe a lot of others I may not hit it as straight, but I will not go as deep into the rough.  Having a somewhat easier second shot is a lot better than hunting for a ball and taking penalties.  LOL  Have a great day.

What makes you think you will not hit it as “deep into the rough” and have less penalties.   If you want to do that today, why not just play the ball that spins the most?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... These are just my personal opinions and not shared by all nor meant as an attempt to change anyones mind. That said, I have not watched many PGA Tour events because frankly I find them boring. Watching Pro's hit an iron onto virtually every par 5 in two takes way the deign features of the hole. Water left the entire way means hitting a hybrid or fairway wood is much more of a risk reward than hitting a towering 6 iron that lands soft with little roll. Watching the LPGA play par 5's is infinitely more enjoyable. The very longest hitters may sometimes have an iron into a par 5 and justifiable so, but average hitters will have a hybrid or fairway wood and shorter hitters play the par 5's as a 3 shot hole. These are the best players on the planet and find many different ways to make birdie which is always interesting. 

... I would liken it to baseball. The solid golf ball went straighter and much farther. If they brought out a new baseball that enabled every player to easily hit a home run you would change the game to the equivalent of bomb and gouge. Much like I have little desire to see a Tour event when everyone is -25 under par, I have no interesting in watching a baseball game where the final score is 47 to 42 with 81 home runs, one triple. one double and 5 singles. Even short stops would be 6'7" 282 lbs and look like Aaron Judge. I think one of there reasons the NFL is so successful is they don't do anything different than Uncle Rico in high school, they are just bigger, stronger, faster and do it at a higher more athletic level. 

.... I do not want to watch a different game than I play. I just want to watch Tour Pro's do what I do better. Muuuuch better. I would feel 99% sure no course designer put in bunkers, trees, water and narrowed the intended landing area on a par 5 to have a player just fly all of it and have a 7 iron second shot. The great thing about golf, especially at the recreational level, is you can play par golf in many different ways. A long hitter brings more trouble into play with the risk reward of hitting a short iron 2nd shot, while a short hitter with a stellar short game does not face the same trouble but has to hit longer clubs and get up and down.  

... Who didn't enjoy watching Pro's hit 58 balls in the water on 17 at the Players this week? Still 58 out of thousands of shots and I saw a feature where they tracked Ams for a day and something like 101 out of 159 hit it in the water. They could all identify for a change. I love watching the Majors because the courses are set up more difficult and the pressure is greater. I watch most every LPGA and Woman's college golf because they use all their clubs and hit every conceivable shot. But I just don't watch many PGA events. For me at least, rolling the ball back will entice me to watch more. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

17 minutes ago, Albatrass said:

You are so right.  But for me I will not hit the ball as far and therefore not as deep into the rough.  A major victory.  LOL  

Not to mention that neither the course length nor driving distance differences that we are talking about here will really have a direct correlation to pace of play.

2 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

I think they need to work on something more important and that is slow play at all levels.  Baseball has addressed the issue with speeding up the game with success this year.  UGGA and R&A, lets work on this at all levels (especially at the PGA level, because they influence the amateurs watching them on TV.  If they take 30 seconds to putt, then most ams feel they should also.). 

People are hitting the balls longer because they are better conditioned athletes.  Look at their swing speeds.  Yes the equipment is somewhat better and the distances for some is insane. PGA Tour Player - Driver 285 - 321 yds (Tour Average: 299.8 yds).  It is a science to get less spin from the drivers and balls which is increasing the distances, with the players swing speed and the ball speed. So much for just grip it and hit it.      

Pace of play is a whole other can of worms.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

5 hours ago, joedeausen said:

Storm319....   I did say at the beginning of the post, "I put together this commentary on bifurcation back in early 2018"

Korn Ferry Tour started in 2019    https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2019/06/24/golf-korn-ferry-web-dot-com-tour/

Sorry, missed that. Much of what I said was still relevant in 2018 as we knew the mechanisms they would use to enforce, just didn’t know if it would be adopted globally or with a limited scope.

I am with Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth, and Sam Burns (among others) on this golf ball subject. The proposed “master local rule” is ridiculous, does nothing to grow the game of golf, and is designed to address a problem that does not exist.

The other factor that others have brought up is that, since “elite golfers” do not pay for their golf balls, the substantial costs incurred by golf ball manufacturers to produce balls for use in the elite competitions will most certainly be passed on to the golfing public in the form of increased golf ball prices for other golf balls.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

43 minutes ago, chisag said:

I love watching the Majors because the courses are set up more difficult and the pressure is greater.

To me, this is where they need to address this versus dialing the ball or clubs back. These massive under par numbers happen on the same courses every year. If you look at Augusta, the under par number has pretty much stayed the same, barring weather. Same for other major locations (exception being St. Andrew’s last year, which was due to abnormally beautiful weather that week).

If these other courses would put designs in that makes players think before grabbing driver (i.e. thick rough, narrower fairways, deeper bunkers, water, big elevation changes, etc.) that would be a bigger help to this than going back to the 70s equipment wise. 

Great golf to me has almost every shot having to consider the risk vs reward. Seems to me these PGA courses are too set up to where you just grab driver. It’s not the players fault they’ve busted their tail daily to mash the ball. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

2 minutes ago, Ben_Howell34 said:

If you look at Augusta, the under par number has pretty much stayed the same, barring weather.

... To be fair, Augusta has the real estate to continue lengthening their course while many others do not.  in the last 20 years the AN has gone from 6,985 yards to the current 7,475 yards. The fact that the scores have stayed the same certainly indicate had they stayed at 6,985 the scores would be much lower.

... But obviously the design of the course also play a huge role. Depending on pin placements, #15 dictates a difficult option whether going for it in two or 3. Such a great hole. And #13 can reward the longest hitters if they are very accurate, yet we see so many balls in the trees/pine straw to the right, so far from a bomb and gauge hole. This year it has gone from 510 to 545 yds and it will be interesting to see how that effects scoring. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x