Planned 2030 Golf Ball Rollback

PMookie

Forum Member Opinions  

584 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  2. 2. Do you watch or care about the PGA Tour and other professional Tours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  3. 3. Do you wish there was a Tour Only golf ball?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  4. 4. Do you want to play all the same equipment like the pros play?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  5. 5. Do you feel your game will be dramatically effected by the rollback in 2030?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  6. 6. Will loosing any distance take away significant enjoyment in golfing for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably not
  7. 7. Would you quit golf because of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Would you prefer bifurcation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  9. 9. Is this all too early and we need to wait and see what more will happen over the next few years?

• Definitely
    • No, this needs to be addressed now
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

Bifurcation will probably ruin the already-limited interest in long drive competitions. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

The bifurcation thoughts are all about strategy.  At one time, probably as late as 2000 or earlier, it was very important to be able to hit the ball both long and accurate (in the fairway).  With the advent of the prov1-ball types, and the 460 cc face-flexing drivers that technology has given us today, the game has gotten imbalanced.  It's a given that all the guys on tour can chip and putt.  You have to almost have mastery of that to even be on the tour.  That hasn't changed.  Abilities to hit irons accurately hasn't really changed.  Sure, with science we have irons that are able to launch higher or lower, and spin more or less, are out there, but just because a number is stamped on the bottom of an iron hasn't really changed player skill levels.  But the pros ability to just swing a driver with abandon, seemingly without worry about accuracy, is where the game has gone.  Sure, they could fix the courses to punish inaccurate shots.  But with the "temporary immovable object" rule allowing those guys to take free drops basically sideways, it's a problem.

I can not believe how small minded some people are.  Why not just narrow up the fairways, build smaller greens and grow out the rough.  Like real rough, not this hit me in the rough and the ball actually goes further.  Build smaller greens or at least narrow you cutting down for tournaments,  will put the focus back on accurate second shots.. Before anyone attacks me, I come from a green keeping background as well and you can my the golf courses so touch even pros will struggle.  Distance is not the problem.

Why change the ball when all you need to do is make the fairway grass length longer so the ball does not roll 40 yards.  You can also make the greens smaller by adding more fringe or rough around the edges.  All that saves on some maintenance cost.  Also, any changes to the ball will just add more cost for us mortals to pay for the R&D for the pros.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:03 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I doubt that one ball will be for all. Or one company. Various companies will make balls that meet the new standards. Still will have different characteristics, spin windows and more. 

Agree unfair for one company to make all of them.

How's this even going to work at the retail level?  If I'm trying to qualify as an amateur for the US Open, I suppose I would have to comply with the "reduced distance ball" at all the qualifying events.  Are retailers going to stock their shelves with the reduced distance ball?  I can see this now.  .... Come to the PGA Tour Store/Dicks/mom&pop to buy your "reduced distance ball"?  Right, who is gonna buy it?  And, the mom and pop stores aren't gonna have the shelf space for a product with a very limited customer base.  As for the smaller golf ball manufacturers (i.e, Direct to Consumer), how are they gonna handle the logistics of being in the "reduced distance" golf ball market?   They're gonna make a golf ball that almost no one buys.  I highly doubt it.     For something like this to work, the major ball manufacturers would be the only likely producers due to the limited target customer for "reduced distance" golf balls.    For the Professionals, they would have to keep two stocks of golf balls:  One for events using the "reduced distance" golf ball, and the other for the rest of the tournaments with the regular distance golf ball.  Bifurcation is going to be a logistics nightmare for the golf ball manufacturers, golf professionals, and regular "joe" golfers wishing to qualify for the "elite golf tournaments."

First I dont get all the whining about this, JT and Spieth et al are dead wrong.  20 yards off the tee will do nothing to change the pro game, one more club into holes will do little.  But the change will do a whole lot to protect the overall health of the game.  Golf is at a cross roads, and has been, yes it has grown because of covid, but the environmental impact of golf courses has constantly been under attack.  Land water and chemical use is critical to the health of the game, if it is perceived to be using too much of these resources  (add in fuel for mowers) the backlash could kill the game.  It is this sustainability factor that has brought us here,  You can not keep lengthening courses (even if you just look at those used for pro and college events, which is 100's in the US alone)  The cost in acquiring land if available and in many areas it is not would make these courses too expensive to survive.  Do you want to play somewhere like Copperhead, for 6 or 700 to cover the increased cost?  Pebble 2 grand,  see my point.   

And growing the rough is not a solution, it still costs water and chemicals that are sometimes scarce, and takes weeks, do you want to spend your hard earned money to play a course getting ready for a tour event where you lose a ball every time you miss the fairway or a green.  I think not.

Ohio did this in 2006 for the Ohio Open, one ball, shorter the players still scored well, look it up, sure there was some adjustment, but is there not every week.   

But mark my words, if the USGA/RA dont get the ball manufacturers on board this is either dead, or everyone will be playing the slightly shorter ball (did anyone notice the last change in ball specifications, no they did not)   Because something has to be done to protect the game in general, sure nobody wants to lose a few yards off the tee, but is it worth a few yards ( that is easier to adjust the courses for) than to kill the game.   Both financially and due to increased environmental oversight.  Already I have seen several local courses purchased by the tax payer and turned into wildlife areas,  Without some adjustment in equipment (and the ball is the easiest,) the game will lose in the end. classic courses will no longer be seen, And others will be lengthened even if they are not relevant to the pro game, because the PROS play 8000  8500 yard courses.  

Nicklaus invented the Cayman ball, and a shorter course, it did not take off, but it was visionary when it came to land and resource use.   By doing nothing the USGA/RA is insuring the death of the game, mark my words.

Three, Albatross'

Three Holes in One

Plus, when I was 5 the first ball I ever hit on a golf course went in the hole, so I have that going for me.

My bag is a mish mash of Srixon drivers, cobra and adams fairways, TA1 irons and Hopkins wedges, plus a Cure putter.  

On 2/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, PMookie said:

Well, folks, the folks at the R&A and USGA are dead-set on limiting distance now. Bifurcation is coming.

These folks are SO out-of-touch with the recreational golfer, the 99% of golfers they SUPPOSEDLY serve!

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/r-and-a-bifurcation-in-golf-reduce-hitting-distances/

That's ridiculous.  This won't affect recreational golfers at all right now.  The goal is to reduce the need for courses to get longer over the next 10-20 years, which increases costs for maintenance.  And guess what!  If course costs go up, greens fees go up!

I disagree with the proposal.   There is no need to reign in the distance.  You can adapt golf courses for the elite to be more difficult within the tracts they play using hazards and rough.  Bifurcation should never be part of golf.

Any combination of Titleist 905 9.5 degree, PXG 0811X 9 degree, Titleist 904 @ 15 degrees, Maltby KE4 14 degree, Titleist 913 @ 19,  Maltby KE4 Tour FDE 19 degree driving iron, Upswing 7 wood 21 degree, Titliest 670 2-PW, Cleveland 52, Callaway 58, Maltby DBM Forged 4-GW, Maltby TSW forged 54, 58, Vokey 52, 56, 58, 60 Ping Anser 2 (1990), Scotty Bullseye, Wilson Bucktown, Odyssey Rossi White Hot, Odyssey Versa; Currently playing Titleist: Drive, 3 wood, 2 - pw, Cleveland RTX 588 52, Callaway Mack Daddy 58, ping answer 2 Kirkland Signature (2023);

There's so many details left out. At what stage of their career does the ball change? Professional only? Does that include LPGA and Champions Tours? How much shorter do we need the LPGA players to be? They surely won't like this change.

Is the US Am going to go to it? Many young players will be good with the normal ball, then potentially be horrible with the slower ball. This isn't an even playing field. I have some young players that are shorter than others but have tremendous short games to make up the difference. They too, will be shorter off the tee with a new ball, still keeping them at a disadvantage. I'm already getting the questions from my high school players, they would need to get the ball now. Those kids will NEED to start playing the shorter ball in high school, so now they are going to shift their play between two sets of yardages. That's IF they are allowed to purchase the balls. If that's the case, will US Kids need to introduce the ball, making it less fun for them?

Growing the game?

Narrow the fairway. Grow the rough. Slow down the greens.

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No 1
Bridgestone B RXS

11 hours ago, LICC said:

200 player difference. You just supported my point. 

I'm not arguing for either side because I don't really know what should be done at this point.  You asked a question, so I answered it.

And those are just averages.  Which means someone hits a bomb and someone catches it a little of the toe 35 yards is quite easily possible during any given round.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 2/2/2021 at 10:07 AM, Shapotomous said:

I never really understood the distress over bifurcation. 

Most sports have rules & equipment differences between professional and non professional ranks, between mens and womens leagues of the same sport and rules differences between USA leagues and international play for some sports as well.  Whatever level you want to play at just use the approved equipment and play by the rules established for that competition.  

I am going to have to disagree that it will not hurt the game respectfully. First, there is nothing broken about golf. They have capped the length of the drivers, and the ball is now where the focus has shifted and can also be capped at this point. I don't know where to begin with so many points here. Let's start with other sports. There are so many complaints that we do not have enough scoring or excitement in our pro sports....not many want to go to a baseball game and see a 1-0 game (I am a purist and love defence, so I am not in this category) or a 6-3 NFL game. Several rule changes have increased the excitement/scoring in all professional sports. Direct correlation.... no one wants to pay to see a PGA pro hit a 280-yard drive..... hell I can do that!!! Golf is NOT broken.... it's actually getting much better. LIV has escalated the level that the PGA Tour is paying their members and, in turn, more drama in the events this year. Also..... amateur golf is also thriving. I am in Toronto, Canada, and our courses are packed.... Junior and Mid-Am events have 100-deep wait lists. Sadly, the price of golf has exploded with it. Golf is thriving.

Now why bifurcation is bad..... Pros today are athletes of the highest calibre. They are not the pros of even 20 years ago. They train extensively, and it shows. Hitting drives of 330+ are amazing to watch.... all being done with the exact same equipment I can use!!!! This is a great thing. I don't want the pros using a different ball or even clubs that I can not obtain. This is something that is so perfect about golf. I can play Sawgrass the week after they play it..... it's almost the same condition with the same ProV1 at a length that my 55-year-old swing can handle, and see what I can do.... it's pure sports. I can not play at Yankee Stadium or the Boston Garden, but I can play Copperhead on Tuesday.  Why would bifurcation benefit the sport in any way? Do we cap how hard a baseball player can hit a ball? Decompress a puck? I get we cannot have 8,000-yard courses, and in some insane logic, we are preserving the environment more by maintaining the length of courses (I can't get my head around that). 

There is no benefit to bifurcation, and it will disincentivise players to train harder and to improve their game. Grow the rough out and firm up the greens.....you want a -1 to win a pro tournament; there are different ways to do it. Look at the US Open.... enough said. 

Stop messing with something that is not broken and only getting better. 

Sorry for the scrambled rant, but this one pissed me off!!!

This is an interesting discussion (I confess I didn’t read all 35 pages!), but I wonder how many people (including the tour pros railing against the proposal) have actually taken the time to read the position paper?  The manufacturers could change the ball to comply with the new standard and 99% of golfers would never know!!

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

350 is a convenient number for the usga to use to make a point since there’s nobody averaging 350 on tour nor has there been. But even with those numbers that’s just over 6.5% decrease in distance. Distance isn’t only impacted in the driver with this change it will cause a loss of distance throughout the bag.

Let's look at the numbers posted, the USGA has estimated that a drive that goes 350 now will go 335 with the "new" golf ball, a loss of just over 4%.  That's an estimate, but still well below the 6.5% you talk about.  It might be 6.5%, it might be 10%, we don't know.  And it might be non-linear, the decrease at slower swing speeds may be minimal.  Again, I'd like to see some real projections, all I've read so far as those presented by the USGA.

3 hours ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

I believe bifurcation will result in non-conforming equipment becoming more common and accepted by casual golfers. If bifurcation becomes reality, why would casual non-competitive players care if they had conforming grooves in their wedges, or an extra-capable driver? 

Who cares what players use when they're not competing?  Most "casual non-competitive" players choose not to follow the rules a great deal of the time, why should we expect their adherence to the Equipment Rules be any better?

1 hour ago, IzakFouche said:

I can not believe how small minded some people are.  Why not just narrow up the fairways, build smaller greens and grow out the rough.  Like real rough, not this hit me in the rough and the ball actually goes further.  Build smaller greens or at least narrow you cutting down for tournaments,  will put the focus back on accurate second shots.. Before anyone attacks me, I come from a green keeping background as well and you can my the golf courses so touch even pros will struggle.  Distance is not the problem.

As someone who's taken the time to read the Distance Insights reports, going back almost 4 years now, I'd say I'm the opposite of "small minded."  I can understand the concern over continually increasing distance.  Whether something "needs" to be done to slow or roll-back the increases is a separate opinion, and the USGA and R&A have made that evaluation.  As for growing rough and narrowing the fairways, the USGA and R&A have exactly the same authority to require that as they have to limit physical conditioning, or club fitting, or instruction.  None.  They have exactly one tool to use, and that's the Equipment Rules.  

As much as I understand that distance is not a problem for the vast majority of golfers, I'm starting to think that any reduction would be best if it applies to all of us.  Sure, we'd take a hit, maybe we'd lose 10 yards or so off our drives, but we'd still get to "play what the pros play".  Heck, maybe that little loss of distance would encourage a lot more people to move up and play the appropriate tees.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have no idea about golf ball make up, but would it be possible to design a ball that goes the same distance off the driver that it does now but doesn't go nearly as far with irons? Some type of spin profile maybe? Something where guys can't hit 150 yard wedges? Sort of a have your cake and eat it too thing, you still get the big drives but guys have to hit more club into the green.  I realize I'm completely talking out of my ass so it might not be possible.

1 hour ago, joedeausen said:

How's this even going to work at the retail level?  If I'm trying to qualify as an amateur for the US Open, I suppose I would have to comply with the "reduced distance ball" at all the qualifying events.  Are retailers going to stock their shelves with the reduced distance ball?  I can see this now.  .... Come to the PGA Tour Store/Dicks/mom&pop to buy your "reduced distance ball"?  Right, who is gonna buy it?  And, the mom and pop stores aren't gonna have the shelf space for a product with a very limited customer base.  As for the smaller golf ball manufacturers (i.e, Direct to Consumer), how are they gonna handle the logistics of being in the "reduced distance" golf ball market?   They're gonna make a golf ball that almost no one buys.  I highly doubt it.     For something like this to work, the major ball manufacturers would be the only likely producers due to the limited target customer for "reduced distance" golf balls.    For the Professionals, they would have to keep two stocks of golf balls:  One for events using the "reduced distance" golf ball, and the other for the rest of the tournaments with the regular distance golf ball.  Bifurcation is going to be a logistics nightmare for the golf ball manufacturers, golf professionals, and regular "joe" golfers wishing to qualify for the "elite golf tournaments."

Exactly. As of right now there is no financial incentive for the ball companies to make the ball retail available. Pros will get the ball for free. The number of amateurs that play elite level tournaments is a very small percentage so as you say they aren’t marketing the ball for the amateur golfer and more than likely it will cost more than the current ball because of the limited use of it. So if all elite level tournaments/events make the move it will force the hands of the ball companies and then it will trickle down from the elite amateur level to all amateurs and there won’t be any current balls because they will lose incentive to make them because the mlr ball will become the defacto ball 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 minutes ago, garyt1957 said:

I have no idea about golf ball make up, but would it be possible to design a ball that goes the same distance off the driver that it does now but doesn't go nearly as far with irons? Some type of spin profile maybe? Something where guys can't hit 150 yard wedges? Sort of a have your cake and eat it too thing, you still get the big drives but guys have to hit more club into the green.  I realize I'm completely talking out of my ass so it might not be possible.

They are trying to cut down driver distance what purpose would it be to make a ball that goes the same distance as the current ball

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

And it might be non-linear, the decrease at slower swing speeds may be minimal

Now that to me would be wrong. You shouldn't punish guys who are longer than others. If the ball goes shorter for some it should go shorter the same for everybody, or at least very, very close to the same. That would be like having two 3 point lines in basketball. One for the kids who can make a conventional 3 and one for kids who can't shoot from that far.

My biggest thing with their explanation is about protecting where is will be in 10 to 20 years. So I get just caping where is is at right now but why roll it back. I also think their new standard for speed/launch/spin is a bit unrealistic even on the tour so I think it will bring it back further then they think. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

They are trying to cut down driver distance what purpose would it be to make a ball that goes the same distance as the current ball

Isn't the problem bomb and gouge? So you'd still have the (very popular) bomb without the  (not so popular) gouge. And if you can't hit wedge from the rough and a longer iron might not hold the green, accuracy would become more important. Or I might be totally wrong,lol.

I think most golfers who are playing a brand of ball they think their favorite tour player are playing are really disillusion because those balls are made especially for them. They don’t go in to the pro shop and say give me a bag of tees and a couple sleeves of those pro V1 they so we’re not playing the same balls so do why they are at it get rid of any putter over 36 inches if you are going to ban long putters ban them totally. We noticed they didn’t care until they started winning with them. The only way to level the playing field is to is to put ever one on the green 20 ft away from the hole with Wilson 8802s and the best putters wins.When I started playing golf golfer we’re not athletes they smoked cigarettes drank beer while they played. Today’s golfers are truly athletes they eat right exercise do strength training those Will away have an advantage

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

10 minutes ago, garyt1957 said:

Isn't the problem bomb and gouge? So you'd still have the (very popular) bomb without the  (not so popular) gouge. And if you can't hit wedge from the rough and a longer iron might not hold the green, accuracy would become more important. Or I might be totally wrong,lol.

They are trying to reduce the bomb part. The gouge comes as a result.

They claim the issue is having to have more real estate for courses so they have to reduce the distance the ball goes off the tee not how far it goes on approach shots

It is insulting & unfair.

1. A youngish scratch golfer is going to try & qualify for the US Open. Will he have to use the MLR ball? He has never played it. Is it accessible? Not fair to him.

2. Most golfers watch the "elite" events and the PGA Tour to see the game played at the highest level & to compare their games to the best. If they play a different ball than me THERE IS NO RELEVANCE!!  Therefore my interest wanes.- INSULTING!!

Larry 

If I read correctly, the majority of premium balls are non compliant at FUTURE club head speed vs distance specs.

If ball flies 317 or less at 120mph club head robot speed ball passes.

If ball flies 317 or more @127mph, fail in future. If the ball goes further at speed over 120, it fails.

This doesn't bifurcate. It puts a limit on balls, and dials balls back 5% or so. 

A prov1(x) will be modified to conform. Recreational players will buy conforming or non conforming balls. 

99% of people I play with will use a CONFORMING ball. They won't use a cheater ball.

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

30 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

As much as I understand that distance is not a problem for the vast majority of golfers, I'm starting to think that any reduction would be best if it applies to all of us.  Sure, we'd take a hit, maybe we'd lose 10 yards or so off our drives, but we'd still get to "play what the pros play".  Heck, maybe that little loss of distance would encourage a lot more people to move up and play the appropriate tees.

Looking for the "booooo" reaction icon 🤣.  Seriously Dave, really like all your in-depth insights on rules, but this one is a stinker 👎.  I for one don't care whether I play the exact equipment pros play.  99% of us are playing wildly different games than tour players.  Why should the vast majority of golfers take a hit on distance just because the conforming bodies of golf have created a tour play hitting distance issue? 

I get that the governing bodies are attempting to pull the levers they have control over, but isn't it odd that the tours and course event management haven't already tried some of the less cumbersome and costly options?  To what extent do the tours and the players have in boycotting the proposed ball change?  I'll be surprised if there isn't a push-back.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

One thing that I know for sure: Yesterday, in my winter golf tour event, we were forced to play from the black tees (a/k/a the “tips”). No modern golf ball was going to help me reach the longer par 4 holes (445 to 478 yards) in two and never mind reaching any of the par 5 holes in two (most of them were barely reachable in three by all but one guy in my foursome).  We played behind a group of four PGA professionals (none play on tour, but one did play on both the PGA Tour and what is now known as the Korn Ferry Tour), and a couple of those pros were having trouble reaching some of the longer uphill par fours in two.  A few of them play in “elite competitions” and one has played in several U.S. Open Qualifiers and made it to final stage qualifying for our Open. I wonder how they would feel about a golf ball roll- back for those competitions.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

2 minutes ago, TitleistMike said:

If I read correctly, the majority of premium balls are non compliant at FUTURE club head speed vs distance specs.

This doesn't bifurcate. It puts a limit on balls, and dials balls back 5% or so. 

99% of people I play with will use a CONFORMING ball. They won't use a cheater ball.

This conformance is only require for competitions where the model local rule is invoked.  If the competition doesn’t invoke the MRL current balls are conforming and will remain conforming.  

it does add to the existing bifurcation because it is enforcing different rules at different levels.   Does your group invoke the one ball rule and the rule that prohibits distance measuring devices? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Looking for the "booooo" reaction icon 🤣.  Seriously Dave, really like all your in-depth insights on rules, but this one is a stinker 👎.  I for one don't care whether I play the exact equipment pros play.  99% of us are playing wildly different games than tour players.  Why should the vast majority of golfers take a hit on distance just because the conforming bodies of golf have created a tour play hitting distance issue? 

I get that the governing bodies are attempting to pull the levers they have control over, but isn't it odd that the tours and course event management haven't already tried some of the less cumbersome and costly options?  To what extent do the tours and the players have in boycotting the proposed ball change?  I'll be surprised if there isn't a push-back.

Hahahaha, maybe the admins can get a "boo" reaction for us.  Having two separate rules for golf balls (I know, testing methods, but really two different rules) does cause complications.  R&D and manufacturing, marketing, players playing different balls in different events, its certainly not an ideal solution.  And I have no doubt there will be push back, we've already seen that.  As I have read over the past years, the USGA and R&A have specifically reached out to manufacturers and professional tours for input all along.  I don't know whether pro tours will choose not to use the "short" ball, but it would surprise me.  Manufacturers will fall in line, they won't want to be the manufacturer without a ball being played by on TV.  

I don't know what will happen, or which is the least problematic route, but it appears something will change within the rules to lower driving distance a bit.  Any choice made will upset someone.  And no matter what route is taken, most of us will adapt pretty quickly, while others will hold a grudge for the rest of their lives.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, BlackjackMWV said:

I disagree with the proposal.   There is no need to reign in the distance.  You can adapt golf courses for the elite to be more difficult within the tracts they play using hazards and rough.  Bifurcation should never be part of golf.

Bifurcation is already part of golf. Recreational players don't use the same tee boxes at anywhere near the lengths of the courses that pros play. 

Really.  Not even worth a response.

Any combination of Titleist 905 9.5 degree, PXG 0811X 9 degree, Titleist 904 @ 15 degrees, Maltby KE4 14 degree, Titleist 913 @ 19,  Maltby KE4 Tour FDE 19 degree driving iron, Upswing 7 wood 21 degree, Titliest 670 2-PW, Cleveland 52, Callaway 58, Maltby DBM Forged 4-GW, Maltby TSW forged 54, 58, Vokey 52, 56, 58, 60 Ping Anser 2 (1990), Scotty Bullseye, Wilson Bucktown, Odyssey Rossi White Hot, Odyssey Versa; Currently playing Titleist: Drive, 3 wood, 2 - pw, Cleveland RTX 588 52, Callaway Mack Daddy 58, ping answer 2 Kirkland Signature (2023);

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

I'm not arguing for either side because I don't really know what should be done at this point.  You asked a question, so I answered it.

And those are just averages.  Which means someone hits a bomb and someone catches it a little of the toe 35 yards is quite easily possible during any given round.

Sure, anything can happen with mishits. But for the most part, among the top golfers on Tour, you will very rarely see anything close to a 35 yard difference on a drive on any given hole.