Planned 2030 Golf Ball Rollback

PMookie

Forum Member Opinions  

584 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  2. 2. Do you watch or care about the PGA Tour and other professional Tours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  3. 3. Do you wish there was a Tour Only golf ball?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  4. 4. Do you want to play all the same equipment like the pros play?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  5. 5. Do you feel your game will be dramatically effected by the rollback in 2030?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  6. 6. Will loosing any distance take away significant enjoyment in golfing for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably not
  7. 7. Would you quit golf because of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Would you prefer bifurcation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  9. 9. Is this all too early and we need to wait and see what more will happen over the next few years?

• Definitely
    • No, this needs to be addressed now
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

Lots of information out there and still lots of uncertainty. For everyone please remember this will (reportedly) come into effect 6 years from now. 

There is a lot to speculate on, but also let's just remember there has been no official statement as of yet on this. 

Everyone can feel or say how they feel one way or another but we still don't know 100% what will be announced. 

When there is we all will have a far clearer view one what the future of golf looks like how we will be effected one way or another.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

IF this happens in 6 years and IF I am still on this side of the grass and IF I can still swing a club and IF I know why I am swinging the club…. I will deal with it then.

Edited to add….. Could it be that a golf version of sorts that emulates Pickle Ball will be created or evolve?? 

Edited by Dead Solid Bogey

11 minutes ago, LICC said:

All distances, top, middle, and bottom on all professional tours have increased over recent and longer term periods. The facts are clear for those who look at them. 

I think the ability to dial in a swing and contact create more distance.  Technology has allowed players to figure out the best way of making contact.  

Club manufacturers vary lofts within a line to "create more distance" 

IronLofts.png.bb967a583ec021306cc92a9fcb1f537b.png

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

16 hours ago, LICC said:

DJ did that with a modern ball. Maybe the top 5% or so would hit it over 300, but most players would not.

Only opened and replying because unfortunately ignored posts get shown in replies.

Of course he did, it’s what’s available and if there was an equipment rollback it’s what he and everyone else would be using to play with. So it’s a relevant point that even with an ill fitted club the pros aren’t going to be giving up distance with a smaller head.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, storm319 said:

The USGA rolled back the ball in the 1930s by lowering the max weight and increasing the minimum diameter but the R&A chose to stick with the status quo at the time. This was so unpopular that the USGA reversed course a few years later on the weight max but retained the larger diameter. The R&A finally aligned with the USGA on this item in the 1970s for their championships and globally starting in 1990 which began the only period in history with a global unified set of rules (until the USGA screwed that up with the groove rollback).

thanks for that info...

committed to performance excellence

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

Read this on Twitter/X; it was a post from Michael Breed and I personally cannot confirm that it is accurate since I haven't seen any of the data:

Going to add onto this with another tweet from Mr Breed

There is going to be a loss of distance the the bag so that possible 1 club more into a green by losing 7-11 yards now becomes 2 clubs as your woods, hybrids, irons, wedges will all lose distance 

IMG_7025.webp

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Lots of information out there and still lots of uncertainty. For everyone please remember this will (reportedly) come into effect 6 years from now. 

There is a lot to speculate on, but also let's just remember there has been no official statement as of yet on this. 

Everyone can feel or say how they feel one way or another but we still don't know 100% what will be announced. 

When there is we all will have a far clearer view one what the future of golf looks like how we will be effected one way or another.

... I have heard from reliable sources (don't ya love that statement?) that the difference will be 3-4 yds for the average golfer. Others equally reliable say 7-11yds. And of course unsaid is if you aren't hitting the center of the club face it may be no yards. I have played with so many that hit that one big drive and wonder why they can't repeat it and I just don't have the heart to tell them "You hit the center of the face for once. Did you notice how straight and how high you hit that drive that sounded different than any of your others?" 

... Along the lines of what you said, here is what we know. Nothing. Maybe the tar can be cooled and the feathers stored in the barn until we get something concrete. And even then it will take time to shake out. I certainly expect to see videos proving the new ball goes much shorter and/or isn't all that much shorter and/or is the same distance under certain circumstances. I'd say ya ca't make this stuff up but we all know you can manipulate numbers to show whatever you want. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have heard from reliable sources (don't ya love that statement?) that the difference will be 3-4 yds for the average golfer. Others equally reliable say 7-11yds. And of course unsaid is if you aren't hitting the center of the club face it may be no yards. I have played with so many that hit that one big drive and wonder why they can't repeat it and I just don't have the heart to tell them "You hit the center of the face for once. Did you notice how straight and how high you hit that drive that sounded different than any of your others?" 

... Along the lines of what you said, here is what we know. Nothing. Maybe the tar can be cooled and the feathers stored in the barn until we get something concrete. And even then it will take time to shake out. I certainly expect to see videos proving the new ball goes much shorter and/or isn't all that much shorter and/or is the same distance under certain circumstances. I'd say ya ca't make this stuff up but we all know you can manipulate numbers to show whatever you want. 

If this is in fact true then I would support Rory's sentiment. If my max drive is going to be impacted by 5-10 yards, and everything else will be negligible, then I will truly feel no impact in my game. My best drives will carry 280-290 and that is perhaps 5% of the drives I hit. The rollout after that is impacted by so many factors that the final distance can be anywhere from 285-320. The only people who will likely notice this change will be the statisticians who collect data for a living. Hence the reason Lou Stagner is losing his mind right now. Average Joe's like use might see it in approach shots when our irons change by a few yards on average but I really doubt I will notice anything significant in my drives. Not saying this is a good thing, but it's the main reason I really don't see my game being significantly impacted. I guess it will give me another excuse to add to my arsenal when my shots on par 3's come up short. 😎

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

15 minutes ago, Preeway said:

If this is in fact true then I would support Rory's sentiment. If my max drive is going to be impacted by 5-10 yards, and everything else will be negligible, then I will truly feel no impact in my game. My best drives will carry 280-290 and that is perhaps 5% of the drives I hit. The rollout after that is impacted by so many factors that the final distance can be anywhere from 285-320. The only people who will likely notice this change will be the statisticians who collect data for a living. Hence the reason Lou Stagner is losing his mind right now. Average Joe's like use might see it in approach shots when our irons change by a few yards on average but I really doubt I will notice anything significant in my drives. Not saying this is a good thing, but it's the main reason I really don't see my game being significantly impacted. I guess it will give me another excuse to add to my arsenal when my shots on par 3's come up short. 😎

Loss of distance on irons won’t be neglible if you are losing 5% on driver. It’s going to be very similar percentage on the rest of the bag. Also if you read the article from mgs it’s going to impact everyone and thru the bag

Anyone else really curious how it could be effected when putting?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Putting:

1. Speed
2. Line
3. Confidence
4. Grain
5. Stroke

101. Different ball

Just now, chisag said:

Putting:

1. Speed
2. Line
3. Confidence
4. Grain
5. Stroke

101. Different ball

Agree completely, but we all know how much golfers overthink these things. I mean if everyone is expecting 5% difference on full shots I wonder how many will think they should hit the ball harder on the greens. 

More just trying to poll some different thoughts from members on a portion which hasn't been discussed. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

So a question I have. I know others don't see distance loss with Kirklands but I did (about a club). Would that make them legal under the new regulations? 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Agree completely, but we all know how much golfers overthink these things. I mean if everyone is expecting 5% difference on full shots I wonder how many will think they should hit the ball harder on the greens. 

More just trying to poll some different thoughts from members on a portion which hasn't been discussed. 

... I get it, golfers and especially forum golfers can agonize over quite a few elements of putting they have nothing to do with making or missing putts. 

13 hours ago, storm319 said:

All of those tour issue balls are subject to the same regulations as what is sold at retail, so no that is not bifurcation.

We have also seen more than a couple of those tour issue balls ultimately make it into the retail space like the left dash and left dot options from Titleist 

Currently in the bag:

Driver: Ping 425 lst; stock Xstiff shaft

3 wood: Callaway rogue sub zero; even flow blue 65g shaft

3 hybrid (20°): Callaway apex pro; cannot remember the shaft but a heavy stiff

Irons: 4-6 Taylormade p7mc, 7-P Taylormade p7mb; KBS $ taper 130g in all

Wedges: 50°, 54°, 60° Titleist vokey sm9; stock wedge flex shafts

Putter: Odyssey white hot xg #7

Current ball: Titleist -Pro V1x

9 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I get it, golfers and especially forum golfers can agonize over quite a few elements of putting they have nothing to do with making or missing putts. 

But maybe you hit on something which we can bank on in 6 years! I missed the putt, but it is because the ball is shorter! We will all have a new excuse to use!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

16 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

So a question I have. I know others don't see distance loss with Kirklands but I did (about a club). Would that make them legal under the new regulations? 

As I understand it there isn’t a ball on the market that is compliant.

And based on what Breed posted on X that the titleist professional from 1995 isn’t compliant either would indicate the Kirklands arent

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Just getting caught back up on this thread.  I was out playing golf...

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

But maybe you hit on something which we can bank on in 6 years! I missed the putt, but it is because the ball is shorter! We will all have a new excuse to use!

Only concern I have is sound/feel. The type of ball makes no difference. It’s not much different than adjusting to green speeds. I can adjust very quickly on course

20 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

I posted the testing protocol yesterday.  The basic answer to your question is no.   

the testing protocol uses a robot to deliver consistent strikes in the center of the face and set up the club to launch the ball at a certain launch angle and spin rate with the club head traveling at 125ish MPh.  Under those conditions the ball can’t go over 317 yards.   So how the ball spins for you is irrelevant for conformance.   

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I suppose I will have to wait and see what the R&D engineers come up with, will they be softer, harder covers etc. etc. not just putting but their reaction off the club face for chips, bump and runs etc, etc, all the nuances of short game. 

committed to performance excellence

26 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

went back and found the link to the testing protocol   https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/how-does-usga-ra-test-golf-balls-rollback/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'm going with the working assumption that we'd lose 5% of distance as well 😎

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I’ve thought about it. There  should not be much impact. I can’t ever recall hitting a putter as far as I was able - sober….:)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I understand the thought behind the need for a rollback as space (real-estate) is simply limited in many courses (my home course included) and simply can't get any longer.  As to bifurcation, I see some of the logic to a single ball rule for all as that removes most (but not all) of the doubt that the ball in play is legal.   

Tim

--------------------------------------

What's in My Bag

Driver: Titleist TSi3
Woods: Callaway 
Irons Mizuno JPX900 Forged (4-pw)
Wedges: Mizuno T-22 (60, 56, 50)
Putter: Mizuno OMOI 01
Ball: TaylorMade TP5x - winter/leaf ball Seed SD-02)

For all those nay sayers about different balls for tour players and what is sold in stores, please read the following article from Titleist website on the ProV1x left dash.

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/3-things-you-need-to-know-about-pro-v1x-left-dash

Now tell me pros don’t have access to golf balls different than amateur golfers. 

Marketing is a wonderful thing. 

4 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Cannot answer your question Randy.  I gave up on Kirklands due to their higher than average spin.  All I can say is they can take my Velocity balls from my cold, dead hands 😊.

2 hours ago, GaryOhio said:

Maybe changing the ball is a good idea.

Maybe for tour players, not for amateurs.  There is no distance problem at the amateur level, so there is no need to fix a problem that does not exist for 99% of the golfers around the world.  It simply makes no sense.

I'm going to climb out on a limb here and estimate that at least 80% of amateur golfers do not support a rollback of balls or clubs for their use.  Maybe the USGA needs a wake-up call in the form of a boycott.  

Edited by fixyurdivot

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

50 minutes ago, SmutzGump said:

I understand the thought behind the need for a rollback as space (real-estate) is simply limited in many courses (my home course included) and simply can't get any longer.  As to bifurcation, I see some of the logic to a single ball rule for all as that removes most (but not all) of the doubt that the ball in play is legal.   

Amateurs aren’t over powering golf curses and there is no need to add length because of how far pros are hitting the ball. Theres enough information out there from organizations like NGF that show courses aren’t adding length as gets talked about and some of the courses that added distance added more in the 70-80s than they have in the last 2 decades 

19 minutes ago, jak29672 said:

For all those nay sayers about different balls for tour players and what is sold in stores, please read the following article from Titleist website on the ProV1x left dash.

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/3-things-you-need-to-know-about-pro-v1x-left-dash

Now tell me pros don’t have access to golf balls different than amateur golfers. 

Marketing is a wonderful thing. 

Still not bifurcarion and the ball has to meet the same specs as what’s at retail. 

but if you want the left dash you can buy it at retail including from the titleist website

https://www.titleist.com/product/pro-v1x-left-dash/001PVLD.html

Or

from DSG

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/titleist-pro-v1x-left-dash-golf-balls-20ttlu2019prv1xlfgbl/20ttlu2019prv1xlfgbl

andmif you go back a few pages you will se someone posted that from their trusted contacts who have tour access the pros are playing the same version at retail

I could make a putter that is for me only and nobody else including a pro could get access too. Still doesn’t mean it’s bifurcated