Planned 2030 Golf Ball Rollback

PMookie

Forum Member Opinions  

584 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  2. 2. Do you watch or care about the PGA Tour and other professional Tours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  3. 3. Do you wish there was a Tour Only golf ball?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  4. 4. Do you want to play all the same equipment like the pros play?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  5. 5. Do you feel your game will be dramatically effected by the rollback in 2030?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
  6. 6. Will loosing any distance take away significant enjoyment in golfing for you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably not
  7. 7. Would you quit golf because of the rollback?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Would you prefer bifurcation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care
  9. 9. Is this all too early and we need to wait and see what more will happen over the next few years?

• Definitely
    • No, this needs to be addressed now
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... Other than a few forum members, especially those that love to argue debate,  I don't know anyone that objects to bifurcation. ........

... I know I keep beating this same drum but the roll back isn't gonna effect the average golfer anywhere near what it effects the pros because most Am's just don't regularly hit the sweet spot on any off their clubs. While the LPGA has swing speeds much more similar to the above average Am, they hit the middle with uncanny accuracy. Of course they have instructors, practice and play every day for hours on end so it would make sense and they will be effected more than Ams. 

... I will deal with it if and when it happens and loose no sleep at al........ And if all the OEMs stop making "illegal" balls, they will just play with whatever is available. 

... While interesting to all of us that love the game for our own personal reasons in the end it is Much Ado About Nothing. If they made the change today and my group had to use a rolled back ball, other than maybe needing another 1/2 club at most there would be non difference in our scores, our enjoyment of being outdoors in the fresh air and sun and appreciating the camaraderie of being together for 4-4.5 hours. Our lives will not change at all.  

From everything I read when the initial proposal came out, for a MLR that would have been in effect primarily at high-level competitions, pretty much all of the stakeholders disliked the potential for bifurcation.  It wouldn't bother me, but I can see lots of potential issues with it.  So if we're going to blame someone for OUR rollback, blame the PGA Tour, blame the manufacturers, blame the stakeholders who shot down the initial plan for bifurcation.

Amen to the second bit.  Sure, I'll miss a sudden loss of distance, but after a short adjustment, it'll be golf as usual.  And as you say, other than a few who decide to buy a 10-year supply of "hot" balls, most of us won't have much choice but to play a conforming ball.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Plus, personally, I would much rather them shorten the ball a little than come for the driver face/size/forgiveness. If they take away my Mizuno ST-Z 230 where I can hit it pretty much anywhere on the face and it still goes THAT would change my game significantly. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I have the perfect solution to the ball distance for the pro's. Starting in January for the champions tournament in Hawaii, just have the tour players use the Wilson Duo ball. It goes about 15 to 25 yds shorter already and they can get them at cost from Walmart............😂

Total Callaway bag - except putter

37 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Plus, personally, I would much rather them shorten the ball a little than come for the driver face/size/forgiveness. If they take away my Mizuno ST-Z 230 where I can hit it pretty much anywhere on the face and it still goes THAT would change my game significantly. 

Drivers will be next. Already some speculation about that on the ol’ interwebs…

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Just now, MGoBlue100 said:

Oh I know. I am just living it up for now. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

26 minutes ago, ballhawk said:

I have the perfect solution to the ball distance for the pro's. Starting in January for the champions tournament in Hawaii, just have the tour players use the Wilson Duo ball. It goes about 15 to 25 yds shorter already and they can get them at cost from Walmart............😂

If Wilson had any brains, they’d be in Augusta with Manelo right now getting the DUO named as “The Masters” tournament ball. 

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Today, I took out my old TaylorMade R580 driver (400cc) and felt like I was at least 15% shorter off the tee and much less accurate.  

It made me realize how far equipment has progressed over the past 21 years.

Maybe focusing on reducing head size and COR might be a better approach. 

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

21 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

They can’t figure out how to punish off center hits more without causing more issues. 

The USGA is trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube. OEMs weren’t even close to the 460cc size when the USGA made that decision. And they knew in the mid 2000s what the distance was with the current ball and equipment and pushed the growing the game agenda.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

As I was looking at all the holiday deals online today, and seeing everyone post about stocking up on non-conforming golf balls, it got me thinking about changes coming to the golf ball as we know it. If manufacturers already modify their ball every couple of years in an effort to make them spinnier or longer, wouldn't it make sense that they would begin to slowly make changes to their ball(s) to make them closer to conforming over the next 6-10 years? Seems like they would rather "sneak" these changes into play over time so the change in distance is much harder to notice instead of dropping a bomb on the general public and making it that much more obvious. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

1 hour ago, ballhawk said:

and we don't have to wait until 2028 to see how the pros like it! This is to funny.

17 minutes ago, Preeway said:

As I was looking at all the holiday deals online today, and seeing everyone post about stocking up on non-conforming golf balls, it got me thinking about changes coming to the golf ball as we know it. If manufacturers already modify their ball every couple of years in an effort to make them spinnier or longer, wouldn't it make sense that they would begin to slowly make changes to their ball(s) to make them closer to conforming over the next 6-10 years? Seems like they would rather "sneak" these changes into play over time so the change in distance is much harder to notice instead of dropping a bomb on the general public and making it that much more obvious. 

That's why we are going to hoard Pro V1x from now on!

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting since I see alot of people who have serious disdain for the ruling bodies and have seen people stop supporting them more and more over the heads after continued bad decisions. I could see a large exodus over this issue.

What options do we have in lieu of the USGA's GHIN system... soon to be part of another of theirs and the R&A's braintrust/fart, World Handicap System?  If they continue down this road and I have a viable option for keeping my handicap, I'll drop my membership as a form of protest.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

33 minutes ago, Cecil Williams said:

Hey guys this golf ball rollback shouldn’t affect amateur golfers much I would say if ur a good ball striker next shot take a longer club n maybe we’ll just ad a lot of long irons n our bag done deal 👈🏾😃

You must not play much with older players who already struggle with distance. There will be hazards they cannot clear that they now must lay up or try to swing out of their shoes to compensate and they screw up, shot par 5's that are reachable that wont be in the future. The same for younger players who for whatever reason physically cannot hit the ball for distance. The PGA tour you know the same one that has made a total fool of their selves over LIV golf and the way they lied to the players are now doing this for our "own good" If their leadership was a food it would be a soup sandwich.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

What options do we have in lieu of the USGA's GHIN system... soon to be part of another of theirs and the R&A's braintrust/fart, World Handicap System?  If they continue down this road and I have a viable option for keeping my handicap, I'll drop my membership as a form of protest.

Right now none. Things I could see happening. PGA tour breaking from the RBs and using their own rules, they could partner with grint to do handicap and form their own association.

PGA of America taking over and again forming an alliance with grint or someone else to do handicaps.

Maybe some other alliance. 

the chance of that happening is probably low.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Some more evidence to not trust the USGA. 

In testing with the NP-500 ... participants reported a perceived distance reduction of about 4.9 percent (210 yards compared to a 221-yard self-reported average). This is consistent with expectations based on laboratory testing.” In other words, not quite one to five yards. Still, Thomas Pagel, the USGA's chief governance officer, told Golf Digest everyday golfers should rest easy.

"It's five yards at most and likely limited to your driver," Pagel said.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-randa-golf-ball-rollback-for-everyone?utm_medium=email&utm_source=120623&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM46868&uuid=b9ad2eaf-d3e6-43d2-aceb-675680c392b4

57 minutes ago, Cecil Williams said:

Hey guys this golf ball rollback shouldn’t affect amateur golfers much I would say if ur a good ball striker next shot take a longer club n maybe we’ll just ad a lot of long irons n our bag done deal 👈🏾😃

I'm an amateur golfer, and can tell you, even with improvements to.my techniques,  I have limited physical range of motion issues.  Also, I absolutely suck at long irons, and have spent a good amount of time trying to improve on 4-6i striking and distance, to no avail... 😆 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Statement from Acushnet CEO David Maher on USGA and R&A Golf Ball Rollback Announcement

FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (Dec. 6, 2023) – At a time when interest in golf is vibrant (2023 will mark the 6th consecutive year in which the number of golfers has grown), golf courses are broadly adding forward tees, back tees are used for less than 5% of rounds, and the average carry distances for female and male golfers are 147 yards and 215 yards, respectively, it is appropriate and necessary that the merits of any proposed equipment rollback are thoroughly evaluated in pursuit of a high degree of consensus and support around meaningful change.

As we consider today’s R&A and USGA announcement against recent feedback provided by the World Alliance of PGA’s and the PGA TOUR, we are also concerned that the golf ball rollback overly impacts golfers and does not fully reflect the input of those closest to the game. There have been requests to align on what data is used and how it is used to draw conclusions prior to any equipment changes being made.  Many important stakeholders do not see distance as a problem the way the governing bodies do, and therefore come to differing conclusions about how to proceed to ensure the best possible outcome for the sport.

We support the position of the PGA TOUR and others that there are many areas of focus at the elite level, including initiatives related to golf course setup and conditioning, and other competitive variables which, if desired, can limit the effects of distance while also providing the opportunity for a diverse skill set to succeed at the highest level.

It is also Acushnet’s position that existing golf ball regulations are effective and stand the test of time.  Golf balls are already tightly controlled for initial velocity, overall distance, size, weight, and uniformity.  As a result of existing initial velocity and overall distance regulation, ball speeds have been moderated as was the intent of the rule.  

We note that the mean of the fastest 1% of measured clubhead speeds on the PGA TOUR was flat from 2019-2021 and declined in 2022 and 2023. The mean of the fastest 5%, 10%, 20% and 50% of measured clubhead speeds has been flat since 2017. We consider that the average course playing length on the 2023 PGA TOUR is less than 7,200 yards, just as it has been every year since 2004. We also note that U.S. golf courses built during the period 2010-2020 averaged 6,652 yards – 274 yards shorter than those built between 1990-2010, which is at odds with the notion that equipment has forced courses to expand.  

Not all sports have endured from generation to generation the way golf has endured, and the governing bodies deserve credit for having effectively balanced the forces of tradition and technology. This has helped to preserve golf’s unified appeal and values while encouraging innovation that has helped to make the sport more relevant and enjoyable. 

We believe that further collaboration and cooperation with the R&A, USGA and other stakeholders is critical prior to moving forward with such a significant equipment regulation change. We continue to advocate for stakeholders to convene to have a meaningful examination of this decision and its consequences, and to discuss alternatives as we look to protect golfers’ enjoyment of the game and the health of golf courses around the world to ensure golf’s promising future.  

Happy to see some actual stats. Unfortunately, like many regulations today, the decision has been made without anyone actually having any input other than the decision makers themselves. 

We just saw it in the trout regs this past year. (Fishing capt.) The freeze killed off a lot of fish and they took it down from 5 to 3 and changed the size.  They asked for feedback but ultimately went with their original opinion. The size they chose were fish that would cause even more death because of mishandled or miss out on reproducing.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I don't see this affecting me at all, with my slower swing speeds it shouldn't affect me more than a yard or 2, if that. Not to mention if you even miss a little on contact, that has way more effect than the ball.  People smarter than me are saying even at 110-115 it isn't much, mainly affects the driver and anything less than a 5 iron won't have any effect. Not sure what all the fuss is, other than for Pro golfers. If the best are only losing less than 15 yards, I can't see how this matters much to most golfers. 

Just your "normal" obsessed golfer in search of more shots with names of flying critters...

From Golf magazine:

How many yards will golfers lose with the rollback?

Don’t believe everything you read online. According to the governing bodies’ research, recreational players should expect to see a decrease of less than five yards in driving distance, based on an average swing speed of 93 mph for male golfers and 72 mph for female players. And when they get into their irons, they’re likely to see no perceptible change in distance. 

“The way it works, especially if you make the change through aerodynamics [of the ball], it goes actually to the square of the velocity,” John Spitzer, the USGA’s managing director of equipment standards, told GOLF.com. “So we don’t expect to see much distance loss at all — even at the highest levels — once you get to the 5-iron. And when you have low swing players like myself, I’m going to lose my distance almost all on the drive and I won’t see anything in the fairway woods or hybrids. But the rest of the golfers at the highest level, by the time they get to 5-iron [their distances] would be the exact same.”

16 minutes ago, RockerFCC said:

I don't see this affecting me at all, with my slower swing speeds it shouldn't affect me more than a yard or 2, if that. Not to mention if you even miss a little on contact, that has way more effect than the ball.  People smarter than me are saying even at 110-115 it isn't much, mainly affects the driver and anything less than a 5 iron won't have any effect. Not sure what all the fuss is, other than for Pro golfers. If the best are only losing less than 15 yards, I can't see how this matters much to most golfers. 

It’s 8-11 yards at 115 maybe a little more per the USGA. It’s 5-7 yards for female golfers. If you believe the USGA those are the ranges but even in an interview the USGA admitted that in testing 221 yard drives we’re going 210 yards so they have two stories going on. 

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Statement from Acushnet CEO David Maher on USGA and R&A Golf Ball Rollback Announcement

FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (Dec. 6, 2023) – At a time when interest in golf is vibrant (2023 will mark the 6th consecutive year in which the number of golfers has grown), golf courses are broadly adding forward tees, back tees are used for less than 5% of rounds, and the average carry distances for female and male golfers are 147 yards and 215 yards, respectively, it is appropriate and necessary that the merits of any proposed equipment rollback are thoroughly evaluated in pursuit of a high degree of consensus and support around meaningful change.

As we consider today’s R&A and USGA announcement against recent feedback provided by the World Alliance of PGA’s and the PGA TOUR, we are also concerned that the golf ball rollback overly impacts golfers and does not fully reflect the input of those closest to the game. There have been requests to align on what data is used and how it is used to draw conclusions prior to any equipment changes being made.  Many important stakeholders do not see distance as a problem the way the governing bodies do, and therefore come to differing conclusions about how to proceed to ensure the best possible outcome for the sport.

We support the position of the PGA TOUR and others that there are many areas of focus at the elite level, including initiatives related to golf course setup and conditioning, and other competitive variables which, if desired, can limit the effects of distance while also providing the opportunity for a diverse skill set to succeed at the highest level.

It is also Acushnet’s position that existing golf ball regulations are effective and stand the test of time.  Golf balls are already tightly controlled for initial velocity, overall distance, size, weight, and uniformity.  As a result of existing initial velocity and overall distance regulation, ball speeds have been moderated as was the intent of the rule.  

We note that the mean of the fastest 1% of measured clubhead speeds on the PGA TOUR was flat from 2019-2021 and declined in 2022 and 2023. The mean of the fastest 5%, 10%, 20% and 50% of measured clubhead speeds has been flat since 2017. We consider that the average course playing length on the 2023 PGA TOUR is less than 7,200 yards, just as it has been every year since 2004. We also note that U.S. golf courses built during the period 2010-2020 averaged 6,652 yards – 274 yards shorter than those built between 1990-2010, which is at odds with the notion that equipment has forced courses to expand.  

Not all sports have endured from generation to generation the way golf has endured, and the governing bodies deserve credit for having effectively balanced the forces of tradition and technology. This has helped to preserve golf’s unified appeal and values while encouraging innovation that has helped to make the sport more relevant and enjoyable. 

We believe that further collaboration and cooperation with the R&A, USGA and other stakeholders is critical prior to moving forward with such a significant equipment regulation change. We continue to advocate for stakeholders to convene to have a meaningful examination of this decision and its consequences, and to discuss alternatives as we look to protect golfers’ enjoyment of the game and the health of golf courses around the world to ensure golf’s promising future.  

Love when the data comes out and busts the courses have been getting longer narrative, shows the ball isn’t going further and guys have been swinging the same or slower for the last several years.

Yet posts have been questioned when those comments were previously made 

Having spent many years and thousands of dollars on equipment and lessons so I can hit the ball further, I strongly object to golf bureaucrats screwing me and the other 99.9% of golfers who are not "destroying the integrity of iconic golf courses" with increased distance. Why don't we put speed governors on formula 1 race cars and make NBA centers wear ankle weights. Please stick to generating obscure rules regarding outside agency or undo delay.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Some more evidence to not trust the USGA. 

In testing with the NP-500 ... participants reported a perceived distance reduction of about 4.9 percent (210 yards compared to a 221-yard self-reported average). This is consistent with expectations based on laboratory testing.” In other words, not quite one to five yards. Still, Thomas Pagel, the USGA's chief governance officer, told Golf Digest everyday golfers should rest easy.

"It's five yards at most and likely limited to your driver," Pagel said.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-randa-golf-ball-rollback-for-everyone?utm_medium=email&utm_source=120623&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM46868&uuid=b9ad2eaf-d3e6-43d2-aceb-675680c392b4

And I say that Pagel is full of sh!t.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Excellent response Mr. Maher... most excellent indeed!! 👏  If the OEM's and Tours form a unified front on this, the USGA and R&A are going to look pretty bad.  If that happens and they choose to stay the course, litigation will almost certainly ensue and could keep this tied up for years. 

Don't know about all of you, but I really hate seeing what is happening to the sport the past few years.  Another example of a few screwing it up for the majority. 😐

I am sure we will be seeing tons of different/conflicting articles put out as this progresses. Some will be biased to protect the justification,  and some will be pure conjecture. Until there is an actual ball to play, and is indeed played enough times to quantify the numbers, we won't know for sure. 

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

7 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

And I say that Pagel is full of sh!t.

And their equipment guy admitted the increase they have seen on tour isn’t really from the equipment but the golfer himself. Shows is the golfer putting in work to hone their swing, optimize their ball flight and put time in the gym to get stronger and faster.

I trust zero of what comes out of any of their mouths

3 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I am sure we will be seeing tons of different/conflicting articles put out as this progresses. Some will be biased to protect the justification,  and some will be pure conjecture. Until there is an actual ball to play, and is indeed played enough times to quantify the numbers, we won't know for sure. 

First we have to implement the change before we can see if it works... where have I heard something to that affect before? 🤨

Here's hoping the OEM's and tours form an alliance and send the USGA and R&A a clear and unequivocal message.

8 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

First we have to implement the change before we can see if it works... where have I heard something to that affect before? 🤨

Here's hoping the OEM's and tours form an alliance and send the USGA and R&A a clear and unequivocal message.

If this does actually go into effect, I do think the ball manufacturers will manage to sort it out in time, but I do wonder at what cost? We're talking about a pretty significant change if there's not a ball in the last nearly 30 years that can pass the new test. The R&D and mass development costs of these new conforming balls isn't going to be cheap. Who's footing the bill? The people playing the game or the governing bodies? What happens to the smaller DTC brands that don't have the resources to actually reinvent the golf ball? 

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

11 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I had to laugh when I read TaylorMade Golf CEO's response in this article...

“While appreciative of the opportunity to have a seat at the table and a voice in the debate, we feel like the rollback is simply disconnected from what golfers believe is best for the game” – David Abeles, CEO, TaylorMade Golf

The OEM's thought they had a seat at the table, but actually, they were on the menu.  🤣   Sadly, so are the rest of us.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”